Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny that the Japanese and all other versions of Dark are divided for multiplayer? I mean, if one is patched and the others aren't, how can they connect to each other?

I haven't been able to check since I'm still locked out of online mode due to the stupid "freeze at start screen if online" bug, but I imagine that at the moment JP and US players (as an example) can't connect to each other at the moment because their games aren't matching versions, but when the version does match then they can connect to each other.

I mostly just assume this because people have mentioned playing with JP players despite being US players, but I haven't played with a JP player before nor do I know enough about how netcode or network connections or whatever work to say one way or another, so I'm basically just assuming this based on how version compatibility works in stuff like TF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, unless there's just a lot of people that like making japanese looking handles to play this game I've played with a couple dozen Japanese players.

e: Aw man this may be my favorite outfit yet. Xanthous overcoat, black leather boots, Smough's gauntlets, thief's mask, gargoyle-tail axe... I look cool as hell.

Now to beat the Four Kings and look good doing it. :kamina:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 4, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny that the Japanese and all other versions of Dark are divided for multiplayer? I mean, if one is patched and the others aren't, how can they connect to each other?

I tried playing earlier and I got a whole lot of "failed to connect" messages. Far more than usual.

doomfunk posted:

There aren't really any good covenants for sorcerers, sadly! Zero covenants give any sorceries, and the one that gives a catalyst is actually giving you a vehicle to cast sorceries from Faith.

So the obvious choice is dragons, so you can be naked.

Dragons are not a super great choice for int-casters! There are two hats in the game that boost your spell-zapping ability, and the dragon stone precludes wearing any hats.

But yeah sorcerers don't get any particular advantages which leaves you free to pick whichever style of online interaction you prefer. Sunlight Bros if you like helping dudes and want to be gloriously incandescent as magical phantom artillery, Forest Kitties if you enjoy taking frequent breaks, Darkmoon if you're really patient and like a challenge, and Darkwraiths if you just loving hate everyone. :unsmigghh:

Or you could try gravelord-ing, I guess. With homing soul arrows you can really go at it from any angle.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

doomfunk posted:

Yeah, AFAIK scaling hits a rubber ceiling for practically everything right at 40.

Endurance is honestly still pretty rad past 40. You don't get any more stamina gains, but your weight limit just keeps on increasing at the same rate it always has. Once the weight changes in the patch hit, I'm going to be doing fast ninja rolls in full black iron armor and wielding artorias' greatshield, without needing to use a slot on havel's or lautrec's ring.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

Isn't everyone a pubbie in Dark Souls? :confused:
Naw, I know lots of goons who play Dark Souls. The guy who I razzed replied with "praise the sun" and bragged on how awesome he was to only be level 1, so I figured he might be some butt-hurt goon.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Primetime posted:

For a progress update, I did successfully dodge the pink energy shot once. To dodge it I had to sprint diagonally in front of it. However, the thing follows for so long that Four Kings was able to wind up another swing, and he one-shotted me. Looks like I'm gonna have to cheese it with iron flesh, it's gotten to a point where I can't even get into striking distance half of the time, he either just keeps backing up and throwing pink stuff at me or I get close and he just comboes grabs till I die.

I think the most important requirement is to do enough damage in a period of time before a second king spawns and attacks you. The second most important requirement would be to survive a hit or two. Everything else is really just up to your personal preference, since 1on1 it's definitely not hard to avoid or block all his attacks save for the bomb move. Even if you don't deal enough damage before multiple kings spawn the fight is doable, it's just that the further the fight drags on, the more you're relying on sheer luck to survive. One time I managed to fight the last king for about 30 seconds while 2 other ones were just staring at me. :iiam:

That boss fight in NG+ and onwards can be a bitch though, since the initial health jump makes a huge difference in the fight. Still, you should have your favorite flavor of damage dealing magic by then, and if not you're just going to need a really, really good weapon, a lot of swings and a lot of stamina, and enough life to tank the pink bomb thing since dodging it can easily waste precious time. In the new patch, iron flesh will probably just get you killed since you're going to have to stop swinging a lot more often to heal while tanking attacks.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Vargs posted:

Endurance is honestly still pretty rad past 40. You don't get any more stamina gains, but your weight limit just keeps on increasing at the same rate it always has. Once the weight changes in the patch hit, I'm going to be doing fast ninja rolls in full black iron armor and wielding artorias' greatshield, without needing to use a slot on havel's or lautrec's ring.

I did this in Demon's Souls and it really wasn't worth it. In this game, I can only see it as being marginally more worth it. I think you'd be better off putting those points in Vitality, or Str/Dex/Int/Faith. Or hell, Resistance.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It honestly makes no sense for Four Kings to have so much life in New Game + but for Nito to be pretty much exactly the same, if not easier. Those motherfuckers scale hard.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

doomfunk posted:

I did this in Demon's Souls and it really wasn't worth it. In this game, I can only see it as being marginally more worth it. I think you'd be better off putting those points in Vitality, or Str/Dex/Int/Faith. Or hell, Resistance.

I wouldn't recommend it right away, but I'm pretty high level in NG+++ right now and it's definitely been worth doing. Str and vit are already hitting some hard diminishing returns in their upper 30s, I'm not playing a dex character, and resistance is 100% useless at high levels. I am working on int now that I've finished up endurance, but I honestly can't see myself using it much, as melee is a much more entertaining way to play the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

doomfunk posted:

Ah, Resistance. The stat they all forgot.

Or at least I do. I mean it sounds like a good investment but the other stats at least do something else. Str/dex/int/fai scale damage and opens up weapon options and endurance does stamina and equip limit. Vitality can be okay just buffing health, but what does Resistance really have going for it when buffing any stat already increases your general defenses?

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
A quick question about stats: I stupidly have been leveling STR AND DEX. I'm at SL50 with 20 STR and 20 DEX. Have I ruined my character?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just killed O+S for the first time... I was getting a bit miffed earlier so I took a break. I just came back and turned human for the first time against them, went back, and one shot them. What a great loving fight. I loved the music, the challenge, the enemies... everything.

I loving love this game.

I'm level 56 now, am I way above the target level for this area?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It honestly makes no sense for Four Kings to have so much life in New Game + but for Nito to be pretty much exactly the same, if not easier. Those motherfuckers scale hard.
The thing is it doesn't really make much difference how strong Nito is because he can be kited and the Four Kings can't (and indeed even trying fucks you as you lose the DPS race). Nito could have 20,000 health and he'd be too easy, so long as you have a Divine weapon.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
If I'm waltzing around in human mode and suddenly there are fog walls everywhere, but no warning of being invaded and no invader to be found, does that mean some dude is trying and not connecting or is it something else? I'd figure it's just some dude failing to invade since I'm having a bitch of a time even summoning anyone to help me, but it could be a known bug so I dunno.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Sumixam posted:

A quick question about stats: I stupidly have been leveling STR AND DEX. I'm at SL50 with 20 STR and 20 DEX. Have I ruined my character?
I'm by no means an expert at this game, but not even close. Those stats, at about those levels, can equip a bunch of a really good weapons. It might be smart to start loading up on Vit and End for a while, though. Those stats are always useful, for any character.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Sumixam posted:

Not really. It also kind of depends on how far along you are in the game, I suppose. If you made it to Anor Londo like that, you may be in for some rough times. But ultimately, you can't really 'ruin' your character. You just have to compensate for the weak points in your stats with a lot more skill, or some level grinding.

And yeah, End and Vit are some things you probably want to start going for so you can actually take bigger hits and not die. Again, it all kind of depends on where you are in the game.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
Cool, I didn't think so either. I'm still using the Drake Sword but it's about time to switch so I should pick one or the other now, I think.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sumixam posted:

If anything I'd say take STR to 24 if you're already that far. 24 STR lets you use the Gravelord sword which is really incredible, and Server which seems lousy but actually gets very powerful with upgrades (I'm using an enchanted +5 Server as my main weapon on my NG++ character, so it's still good even when you have your pick of anything in the game).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If anything I'd say take STR to 24 if you're already that far. 24 STR lets you use the Gravelord sword which is really incredible, and Server which seems lousy but actually gets very powerful with upgrades (I'm using an enchanted +5 Server as my main weapon on my NG++ character, so it's still good even when you have your pick of anything in the game).

Zweihander is also 24. And we all know how awesome the zwei is.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Getting distracted in Darkroot fighting the sorcerer near the bonfire.

I'm practicing reflecting soul arrows with force, too bad they don't do damage if you reflect them back. It gets tricky since soul arrow and heavy soul arrow sound and look the same.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sumixam posted:

Cool, I didn't think so either. I'm still using the Drake Sword but it's about time to switch so I should pick one or the other now, I think.

You really, really should. Drake is good for the early game but by the time you get down to Blight town it starts showing it's age pretty quick. Get to Sen's pronto and find that lightning spear--it'll carry you through Anor Londo if you haven't already and from there the Giant Blacksmith will set you up. The stuff he helps you make is one of the key reasons level 1 builds are possible.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

doomfunk posted:

For the record, 99 End is totally worth it just to run around in Havel's complete set (armor, Dragon tooth, and ring) and the Dark Wood Grain Ring doing flips like an idiot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I use the Dark Hand? Doesn't seem to be working for me in the humanity draining dept.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

NESguerilla posted:

How do I use the Dark Hand? Doesn't seem to be working for me in the humanity draining dept.

You have to switch it to your right hand to use the drain attack.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Four Kings finally down. Took me a week of sporadic tries. I eventually got a phantom smart enough to NOT DIE before the boss. Between him and Witch Beatrice, we were able to whittle down the Kings and victory was achieved!

My phantom and Beatrice died, but not in vain. Thanks guys.

Speaking of Beatrice...where does one find her outfit and what are the conditions for doing so?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DarkArchimedes posted:

You have to switch it to your right hand to use the drain attack.

That's what I was doing (R2 attack I'm guessing) and it was just dinging life away. DO I have to kill them (tried it on the crestfallen guy) or is there some special hit you have to land or something?

ConfusedUs posted:

Speaking of Beatrice...where does one find her outfit and what are the conditions for doing so?

I think it's in the valley of the drakes if I remember right. Stick to the left path when you enter from New Londo. It was just sitting there for me but I don't remember it being there at the beginning of the game so there might be some qualification.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 4, 2011

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I think it's in the valley of the drakes if I remember right. Stick to the left path when you enter from New Londo. It was just sitting there for me but I don't remember it being there at the beginning of the game so there might be some qualification.

It's there after you beat four kings.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

NESguerilla posted:

That's what I was doing (R2 attack I'm guessing) and it was just dinging life away. DO I have to kill them (tried it on the crestfallen guy) or is there some special hit you have to land or something?

Was your hand charging up like the Darkwraiths' do when they use it? White glow on the hand with a red halo?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

ConfusedUs posted:

Zweihander is also 24. And we all know how awesome the zwei is.

It's pretty great but It's not really geling with my playstyle. I might lightning up ricard's rapier or that barbed sword thing with the bleed on it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NITOS FLAME KEEPER posted:

It's pretty great but It's not really geling with my playstyle. I might lightning up ricard's rapier or that barbed sword thing with the bleed on it.
Not trying to shite on your playstyle but personally I'd rather have range (zweihander) or versatility (a weapon that can thrust and swipe, unlike the barbed sword.)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Ricard's Rapier's R2 thrust has some reach on it, so that's good. It's also a behind-shield option. If you want that, do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DarkArchimedes posted:

Was your hand charging up like the Darkwraiths' do when they use it? White glow on the hand with a red halo?

Yeah I think so. Do they need to die to get sucked or do you just need to land a hit?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I feel bad when I try to invade other people. I usually use tranquil walk of peace and then throw emit force or lightning spears at them until they die. I feels cheap. But I also feel that this is the only way to win in these fights since most of the time the other guy is using lightning weapons or running up to me and using combustion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I think so. Do they need to die to get sucked or do you just need to land a hit?

You just need to land a hit but they actually have to have humanity for you to drain. I don't think the Crestfallen guy has any. Lautrec and Rhea both have lots.

I wish the Dark Hand was better as a weapon or shield. It's got one cool attack and absolutely zero other utility. I'd love if it was a decent shield and instead of parrying it would do the drain attack. That would actually make it worth equipping as more than a novelty.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

NITOS FLAME KEEPER posted:

Hey so, this has been making the rounds.

How the gently caress did I miss this :lol::lol::lol:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You just need to land a hit but they actually have to have humanity for you to drain. I don't think the Crestfallen guy has any. Lautrec and Rhea both have lots.

I wish the Dark Hand was better as a weapon or shield. It's got one cool attack and absolutely zero other utility. I'd love if it was a decent shield and instead of parrying it would do the drain attack. That would actually make it worth equipping as more than a novelty.

Cool thanks. I was wondering what the hell was going on. Yeah its drat cool looking. Shame it's a novelty item.

Edit: Yeah add that to the long list of awesomely evil animations in this game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 4, 2011

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
In the Catacombs, which switch turns off the spikes for that walkway that leads towards the waterfall?

Also, Tomb of the Giants, how far past Patches is the bonfire?
So glad they brought back the same VA for that character though :)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

I really hope he continues on to appear in similar games from FS. He's the best rear end in a top hat.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hatter106 posted:

Also, Tomb of the Giants, how far past Patches is the bonfire?
Should be 180 degrees in the opposite direction (when you first encounter him).

You will face back toward the coffin you slide down on, and follow a pathway to the right. As you skirt the ledge you should see the bonfire down a level, in the darkness. Just drop down to where you see it. Should be a ladder as well, but you don't have to be careful dropping down. Just aim toward the bonfire. There will be more than enough ground to land on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Defiant Sally posted:

How the gently caress did I miss this :lol::lol::lol:

Should have been at least the cover for the guide if not the game itself.

• Locked thread