Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Lautrec never showed up in the cell. What causes this? I hadn't fought the gargoyles or done anything else of note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a good way to farm humanity that doesn't involve whacking rats in the depths? I am in end game NG+ and have the dark hand.

I really want the Dark wraith armor and the red eye orb.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a good way to farm humanity that doesn't involve whacking rats in the depths? I am in end game NG+ and have the dark hand.

Killing babies in Tomb of the Giants is insanely superior for that.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Kill the babies outside of Nito's chamber.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Elysiume posted:

Lautrec never showed up in the cell. What causes this? I hadn't fought the gargoyles or done anything else of note.

I believe it's grabbing the firekeeper's soul in Blighttown or having 3 firekeeper's souls in general.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

I believe it's grabbing the firekeeper's soul in Blighttown or having 3 firekeeper's souls in general.
Wait, seriously? Did he already kill Anastacia? Are you kidding meeee

I have the New Londo, Blighttown, and Parish firekeeper souls. He wasn't in his cell, so I killed the gargoyles. If he killed her already...I'll be pretty pissed.

Honestly, I basically just want +15 pyromancy so I can get Priscilla's Dagger. That's what this character is made for! Maybe I'll be able to kill that son of a bitch when I get there.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Everything I've read regarding Lautrec leaving and my own personal experience leads me to believe collecting the Blighttown Firekeeper's Soul is the trigger.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kongming posted:

Everything I've read regarding Lautrec leaving and my own personal experience leads me to believe collecting the Blighttown Firekeeper's Soul is the trigger.
Honestly this makes things easier I couldn't decide if I wanted to kill him now or save him for later. Decision: made.

Now I just need to kill Pharis so I can get her bow. She's actually a really hard fight.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Pharis has jumped off a drat cliff every time I tried to fight her.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rough Lobster posted:

The only time I've successfully beaten her, I would always position myself between her and cliffs. I basically just herded her around and slowly whittled her down. Honestly it's an insanely annoying fight overall, between her fog ring, pretty powerful attacks, and unrelenting lemming nature.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Sacrificial Toast posted:

While it's nice that I don't have to get the Ghost Blade for the weapons achievement, I just went through a stack of 40 Homeward Bones killing the 2 channelers in the upper part of the Duke's Archive at 320 Item Discovery, and I still don't have their god damned trident. :negative:

I feel bad every time I see someone say this because the trident dropped for me on the first channeler in the Archive I killed. I wasn't even farming for it. I guess the game felt it needed to pay me back for all those hours I tried for a Pure Bladestone in its predecessor.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Elysiume posted:

The only time I've successfully beaten her, I would always position myself between her and cliffs. I basically just herded her around and slowly whittled her down. Honestly it's an insanely annoying fight overall, between her fog ring, pretty powerful attacks, and unrelenting lemming nature.

I edged him into the grove just before the ladder and edged up close to him while he was firing. He switched to a curved blade of some sort and then died pretty quickly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Killing babies in Tomb of the Giants is insanely superior for that.

Conveniently I am about 10 feet away from there. Awesome. Who would have thought skeleton babies had humanity. Makes no sense.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Rough Lobster posted:

Really? She's a pretty good distance from most cliffs; it seems like you'd have to try to have her die that way. Personally, I just walked up to her with a shield, wait for her to bang off it, then set her on fire with Combustion. She always just pulls out a sword and goes melee when I get close.

OK, questions on SOLAIRE!

1. What exact steps do you need to take to save him- the wikis are directly conflicting and generally unclear. For example:
wikidot sez:
Note about saving Solaire: you need to speak to him at the bonfire after the Centipede boss to activate his progression. Do not open the shortcut before speaking to him or else you ruin his progression and he will be killed by the chaos bug.

Meanwhile, wikispaces sez:
Basically, if you want him to live. Get Chaos Covenant rank to +2, use the shortcut to kill all 9 chaos bugs (Without entering Izalith), and don't talk to him after the centipede demon fight.

So do I need to talk to him after the Centipede Demon or do I need to AVOID talking to him? Do I need to fight the Centipede demon at all?

2. Is there even any real benefit to letting him live besides summoning him at the end? I never summon people for bosses, so if I like collecting stuff, should I just kill him for his stuff?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Conveniently I am about 10 feet away from there. Awesome. Who would have thought skeleton babies had humanity. Makes no sense.

Alternatively, for those who aren't that far yet, I've found the Picasas in Dukes Archives drop humanity pretty often, and when you turn off the alarm, you can take them out pretty quick, with the serpent ring equipped, I was getting 2-3 drops of humanity per run, which is huge compared to everywhere else I can get right now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doomfunk posted:

I edged him into the grove just before the ladder and edged up close to him while he was firing. He switched to a curved blade of some sort and then died pretty quickly.
I'm pretty sure Pharis is a lady. That said, I'll try that once I clear Gaping Dragon for the souls.

Why does the Black Bow follow a normal upgrade pattern? Goddamn Jagged Ghost Blade, Silver Knight weapons, Black Knight weapons, etc., all take twinkles and can only go to +5. The Black Bow of Pharis is actually a unique item--and a named one at that--and follows the standard upgrade path. What the hell.

Schwartzcough posted:

Really? She's a pretty good distance from most cliffs; it seems like you'd have to try to have her die that way. Personally, I just walked up to her with a shield, wait for her to bang off it, then set her on fire with Combustion. She always just pulls out a sword and goes melee when I get close.

OK, questions on SOLAIRE!

1. What exact steps do you need to take to save him- the wikis are directly conflicting and generally unclear. For example:
wikidot sez:
Note about saving Solaire: you need to speak to him at the bonfire after the Centipede boss to activate his progression. Do not open the shortcut before speaking to him or else you ruin his progression and he will be killed by the chaos bug.

Meanwhile, wikispaces sez:
Basically, if you want him to live. Get Chaos Covenant rank to +2, use the shortcut to kill all 9 chaos bugs (Without entering Izalith), and don't talk to him after the centipede demon fight.

So do I need to talk to him after the Centipede Demon or do I need to AVOID talking to him? Do I need to fight the Centipede demon at all?

2. Is there even any real benefit to letting him live besides summoning him at the end? I never summon people for bosses, so if I like collecting stuff, should I just kill him for his stuff?
She spawns really close to a cliff and if you run towards her she'll back up to it.

1. Lost who said it, but In order to keep Solaire alive and reach his next encounter near the Chaos covenant bonfire, you need to NOT traverse into Lost Izalith. You instead take the shortcut from Demon Ruins, and kill all nine of the huge slugs that do little more than block the path.

Only once all nine of them are killed should you cross into Lost Izalith. If you leave one alive, or skip this shortcut altogether, Solaire is killed by them and shows up as a phantom prior to the door to Bed of Chaos boss fight.

If you kill all nine slugs, you can meet with him one more time near Chaos covenant bonfire, and talking to him will unlock his summon sign for the final boss.

2. Are you a completely terrible person? This will affect my suggestion for what to do.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NESguerilla posted:

If you've activated Twilight Anor Londo, those two humanoid dudes before O&S's room give 3 Humanity each via Dark Hand. The flame keeper that goes hostile towards you gives 5 or so. Patches (at Firelink Shrine) gives 5 via Dark Hand, and drops 4 Humanity when you kill him for a total of 9(!). If you don't mind killing other NPCs at Firelink, most of them can be Humanity-sucked.

Since you're at end game, basically just run around the entire game testing the NPCs. :P At least it's more entertaining than whacking rats.

Finally, a note about Red Eye Orb -- you HAVE to be a Darkwraith to use it (meaning if you switch Covenants, it won't work.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 4, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

enojy posted:

If you've activated Twilight Anor Londo, those two humanoid dudes before O&S's room give 3 Humanity each via Dark Hand. The flame keeper that goes hostile towards you gives 5 or so. Patches (at Firelink Shrine) gives 5 via Dark Hand, and drops 4 Humanity when you kill him for a total of 9(!). If you don't mind killing other NPCs at Firelink, most of them can be Humanity-sucked.
Plus, you can usually charge up for another grab while they're standing up. Petrus got to have his soul slowly sucked out before I flattened him. Shouldn't have planned to kill Rhea, you filthy gently caress.

calbruc
Nov 15, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
At level 68, I just invaded and killed someone in the archives for 840,000 souls :stare:

I'm going to upgrade every single item I've ever touched.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Elysiume posted:

I'm pretty sure Pharis is a lady. That said, I'll try that once I clear Gaping Dragon for the souls.

Why does the Black Bow follow a normal upgrade pattern? Goddamn Jagged Ghost Blade, Silver Knight weapons, Black Knight weapons, etc., all take twinkles and can only go to +5. The Black Bow of Pharis is actually a unique item--and a named one at that--and follows the standard upgrade path. What the hell.

The name is fairly feminine but, the description of his hat refers to Pharis as male and I'm pretty sure I heard dude grunts while I ruined his weekend.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doomfunk posted:

The name is fairly feminine but, the description of his hat refers to Pharis as male and I'm pretty sure I heard dude grunts while I ruined his weekend.
Wow, I could have sworn it was a she. Guess I'll need to pay closer attention next time. drat you, 15% opacity.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elysiume posted:

1. Lost who said it, but In order to keep Solaire alive and reach his next encounter near the Chaos covenant bonfire, you need to NOT traverse into Lost Izalith. You instead take the shortcut from Demon Ruins, and kill all nine of the huge slugs that do little more than block the path.

Only once all nine of them are killed should you cross into Lost Izalith. If you leave one alive, or skip this shortcut altogether, Solaire is killed by them and shows up as a phantom prior to the door to Bed of Chaos boss fight.

If you kill all nine slugs, you can meet with him one more time near Chaos covenant bonfire, and talking to him will unlock his summon sign for the final boss.

2. Are you a completely terrible person? This will affect my suggestion for what to do.

1. Yeah, both wikis have that info, but one says that, in addition to all that, you MUST talk to him after the Centipede boss, and the other says you must NOT talk to him. I haven't gotten that far, but I got the impression the Centipede demon is before you enter lost Izalith, so you can go as far as killing it before the important choice of progressing or backtracking to the shortcut. One wiki suggests you NEED to kill it or he'll die even if you take the shortcut.

2. Mmmmaybe. Ok, yes.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In regards to Petrus and Rhea at what point is Petrus supposed to kill her? He just never did it in my game. I'm assuming I missed a trigger, because I am curious as to why he would kill her in the first place. I checked on her right before I went to the Kiln and she was still praying, and Petrus was still acting all flustered and offered to sell me miracles.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Schwartzcough posted:

1. Yeah, both wikis have that info, but one says that, in addition to all that, you MUST talk to him after the Centipede boss, and the other says you must NOT talk to him. I haven't gotten that far, but I got the impression the Centipede demon is before you enter lost Izalith, so you can go as far as killing it before the important choice of progressing or backtracking to the shortcut. One wiki suggests you NEED to kill it or he'll die even if you take the shortcut.

2. Mmmmaybe. Ok, yes.
Well, I:
1. Went through the shortcut, killed the bugs.
2. Went through it again, no Solaire.
3. Hung out with Onionbro.
4. Killed the Firesage and Centipede.
5. Went through it again, found depressed Solaire, talked to him a bunch
6. I think his sigil is outside the door.

And with regards to your #2: t:mad:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Man, being summoned by the same person over and over again for a boss fight and being part of the progression is intensely satisfying. It means just as much when he beats it to you as it does to him.

I hope the patch makes stuff like that easier, the multiplayer experiences in this game are really unique.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Schwartzcough posted:

Yes, immediately after the Demon Centipede is a bonfire and the super lovely aggrivating route into Lost Izalith. You do not HAVE to talk to Solaire here in order to fulfill his storyline, so if you want to fight with him at the final boss, it's in your best interest to simply turn around after Demon Centipede. There's really no good reason to go this way; only terrible ones.

Other requirements are donating 30 Humanity to sexy spider lady to gain the ability to open the shortcut (there's no notification of this, but once you receive a Pyromancy spell for your donations, you've hit 30.) You then take the newfound elevator down to Demon Ruins, drop down the broken stairway which will land you in Demon Firesage's room, and head for the shortcut (that long winding branch between the boss room and the red, fiery part of Demon Ruins.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 4, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kongming posted:

In regards to Petrus and Rhea at what point is Petrus supposed to kill her? He just never did it in my game. I'm assuming I missed a trigger, because I am curious as to why he would kill her in the first place. I checked on her right before I went to the Kiln and she was still praying, and Petrus was still acting all flustered and offered to sell me miracles.
He abandoned his comrades. He didn't "get lost." The belltower creepy dude says he's "drenched in sin." He's a terrible person. He abandoned them, and then when she makes it out alive, tries to kill her to cover his tracks.

Apparently if you go right to the Parish in two zone changes and talk to her, she makes it through okay. I always kill Petrus because gently caress him. He's also a Debbie downer.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Man, being summoned by the same person over and over again for a boss fight and being part of the progression is intensely satisfying. It means just as much when he beats it to you as it does to him.

I hope the patch makes stuff like that easier, the multiplayer experiences in this game are really unique.

Waiting 45 minutes for a summon at Gaping Dragon is so :argh:. I guess it doesn't help then when I move my sign there are FOUR other signs around.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
So if this data is correct, weapon stat scaling is still pretty much worthless in 1.04. Upgrading a weapon to +15 gives it approximately a 15% buff to the scaling bonus, where it really needs to be more like 100% to tie with elemental. Plus which, most boss weapons continue not to upgrade their bonuses.

Welp!

Edit: Assuming I'm reading it correctly. What does the number under the letter grade actually mean?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elysiume posted:

t:mad:

Hey, it's not like I WANT to. I hear there's a bug that keeps Solaire from appearing in NG+, so if I want his equipment I need to do it on the first run. How can I be grossly incandescent without sun-themed armor and matching shield?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aw, where's that level range and popular boss fight to white phantom on chart that was six billion pages ago (which is to say, the day before yesterday)? I was hoping it would get put in the OP. I'm level 23 right now and...well, since my Japanese copy is cut off from the entire rest of the world and Japan is asleep right now, maybe I can't do it anyway. Just one more assist and I can join the sun covenant (given that the faith minimum is now 25).

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
^^^Didn't know that was a thing. Thread moves too drat fast. Someone repost it and I'll be sure to add it in immediately.

Elysiume posted:

He abandoned his comrades. He didn't "get lost." The belltower creepy dude says he's "drenched in sin." He's a terrible person. He abandoned them, and then when she makes it out alive, tries to kill her to cover his tracks.

Apparently if you go right to the Parish in two zone changes and talk to her, she makes it through okay. I always kill Petrus because gently caress him. He's also a Debbie downer.

It's kinda cool how early on the game shows Petrus to be an rear end in a top hat. He treats you like a leper at first, then patronizes you by treating you like some wretched vagabond and giving you the Copper Coin. Then he forces you to join his Covenant and makes you bribe him if you want him to tell you anything. I'm happy the game gives you vindication for wasting the fucker.

Jetpack Postman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 4, 2011

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
Success! 4 Kings, level 10!

Sorry if I burninated any of y'all tonight in the Parish. It's a shame the red phantom effect doesn't show the character's skin color. Green skin, witch outfit. HOW ABOUT A LITTLE FIRE, SCARECROW?! :supaburn:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Aw, where's that level range and popular boss fight to white phantom on chart that was six billion pages ago (which is to say, the day before yesterday)? I was hoping it would get put in the OP. I'm level 23 right now and...well, since my Japanese copy is cut off from the entire rest of the world and Japan is asleep right now, maybe I can't do it anyway. Just one more assist and I can join the sun covenant (given that the faith minimum is now 25).
Dunno which one you want:

Elysiume posted:

Here's a rough guide up to O&S from what I've seen:
code:
 1-10: Gargoyles
10-15: Gargoyles, Capra
15-20: Gargoyles, Capra, Gaping Dragon
20-25: Capra, Gaping Dragon
25-30: Gaping Dragon, Quelaag
30-35: Quelaag, Iron Golem
35-40: Quelaag, Iron Golem, O&S
40-45: Iron Golem, O&S
45-50: O&S

Cinroth posted:

This is a bit old but seems pretty accurate.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

doomfunk posted:

I thought the bow said something about Pharis being a woman but I went to look and it doesn't at all. I don't know where I got that from!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I think the archer in Darkwood Garden is not THE Pharis, she just has his hat and bow.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So if I don't have a good Divine weapon (my divine mace hits skeletons for like 60), is it even worth doing Nito? I'd really rather not go back to the blacksmith and then work all the way back down to Nito again, but I can't kill the skeletons before he shows up, and then like an rear end in a top hat he ends up killing them before I can land the killing blow.

Also, like 3 big skeletons down there too? What the hell is that?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Elysiume posted:

SNIP

Added the image and a post that was quoted awhile back by YorexTheMad to the "Assist" portion of the OP. Thanks for posting this again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How is it possible to run through this game twice and never find a regualar slab of titanite? Have all these other slabs and I just want to get some lighting +5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

NESguerilla posted:

How is it possible to run through this game twice and never find a regualar slab of titanite? Have all these other slabs and I just want to get some lighting +5

You never went back to the Asylum?

• Locked thread