Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

joat mon posted:

I am planning on making about six dozen deviled eggs for a Thanksgiving party. I'll be using quail eggs, so they'll be bite-sized.
I'd like to make them in more variety than plain-'ol mayo/mustard/paprika deviled eggs.
Any suggestions?

How do you boil a quail egg then shell it without destroying it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Shnooks posted:

Any suggestions with what I can do with this soy flour now...?
Hold onto it--as Wiggles said earlier, you can mix a little bit of it in with other flours in recipes. Nutritionally it's fine, it just has a really strong taste if too much of it is used at once. Frankly each of the different flours I recommended have a distinct taste (as does whole wheat flour), it's just a matter of finding one that agrees with you.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

A short while back I made flour tortilla's using the recipe in Joy of Cooking, using Whole wheat flour instead. They turned out okay but nothing too great. So I'm looking for another flour tortilla recipe since I plan to make some more and would like them to turn out better. Any places I can look for good, whole wheat one?
Make chapati/paratha! It's an Indian whole wheat flatbread that will function like a tortilla. The trick is the oil--tortillas usually call for solid fat (lard, butter, shortening) which doesn't work as well for whole wheat. Chapatis use oil and come out with a nicer texture than whole wheat tortillas.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This is an excellent suggestion. I might add that they're both much easier to make and better-tasting if you can get hold of atta flour, which is a quite finely ground whole-wheat flour.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thanks, that seems a bit easier to make and seems like it'll taste great as well!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Throwing together a pasta sauce. I accidentally bought cans of cherry tomatoes that have the skins on. I got 2 problems.

1. The tomatoes have the skins. Should I try and pick them all out or just run it through a food processor?

2. They're a lot more tart than I expected. The sauce has already reduced to where it needs to be. Onions, garlic, bit of red wine. What should I do to mellow it out?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I've made it with a can of cherry tomatos before. Didn't bother to fish out the skins or blend. Maybe add a little sugar to take the edge off?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

If you really want to get rid of the skins, you can always pass and press it (with the back of a spoon) through a sieve, unless you want that rustic texture.

A pinch of sugar should do it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
It actually took about a tablespoon of sugar to mellow it out. It was 2 cans of tomatoes though. Next time I'll be more careful about the tomatoes I pick up. I still haven't found good fresh tomatoes here :(.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How long can you refrigerate homemade egg nog before the eggs go weird? A week? I'm not putting any booze in it when I make it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Grand Fromage posted:

How long can you refrigerate homemade egg nog before the eggs go weird? A week? I'm not putting any booze in it when I make it.

Depending on where you get your eggs, 1 day.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
^^Not unless you get your eggs out of the trash

If you're making it out of eggs and heavy cream, it will keep for a drat long time. Eggs and milk, somewhat less. I'd say weeks for the former, days (or one week) for the latter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Don't take chances with dodgy eggs. And dodgy eggs come from most supermarkets.

----------------

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Generalisimo Halal posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo I love you.

It's loving amazing. I'm pretty sure I took a few years of my life off eating pate deviled eggs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korean eggs are always fresh, and I've kept raw egg mousse in the fridge for over a week without any problems. Just wasn't sure if the thinner nog would go bad faster or something, I've never made it before.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't take chances with dodgy eggs. And dodgy eggs come from most supermarkets.

The salmopnella risk with even supermarket eggs is exceedingly small.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

angor posted:

How do you boil a quail egg then shell it without destroying it?

I bring the water to a boil,
add room temperature eggs,
cover, turn off the heat and wait 10+ minutes.

cool them with cold tap water
pinch off the airspace end
and blow, which will loosen the shell.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

joat mon posted:

I bring the water to a boil,
add room temperature eggs,
cover, turn off the heat and wait 10+ minutes.

cool them with cold tap water
pinch off the airspace end
and blow, which will loosen the shell.

Hurf smashmouth something or other durf.

My girlfriend was working at home yesterday, so I thought it would be a good day to walk her through slow-cooking a rack of ribs we had. I didn't really have time, so I sent her a link to Alton Brown's oven-braised recipe instead and told her a couple substitutions to make (I have no idea what "jalapeno seasoning is, we had no white wine, a couple other things). When I got home I performed the sauce reducing, glazing, and broiling.
They were really quite awesome.

My question: Tonight I was planning on braising 2 lamb shanks, pretty much the way I did it last time where I sear them first then braise them in a pot.
His rib method was to dry rub, refrigerate, slow cook in liquid in a foil packet for 2-3 hours, then char them with a reduction of the liquid.
Should I try that with the lamb?

Too long; I didn't read it:
Lamb.
Brown, then slow-cook or slow-cook then brown?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Brown, then slow cook. Then brown again.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Very Strange Things posted:

Hurf smashmouth something or other durf.

My girlfriend was working at home yesterday, so I thought it would be a good day to walk her through slow-cooking a rack of ribs we had. I didn't really have time, so I sent her a link to Alton Brown's oven-braised recipe instead and told her a couple substitutions to make (I have no idea what "jalapeno seasoning is, we had no white wine, a couple other things). When I got home I performed the sauce reducing, glazing, and broiling.
They were really quite awesome.

My question: Tonight I was planning on braising 2 lamb shanks, pretty much the way I did it last time where I sear them first then braise them in a pot.
His rib method was to dry rub, refrigerate, slow cook in liquid in a foil packet for 2-3 hours, then char them with a reduction of the liquid.
Should I try that with the lamb?

Too long; I didn't read it:
Lamb.
Brown, then slow-cook or slow-cook then brown?

Always brown first, if you try to "brown" the meat after it's already been braised you will just end up overcooking it and missing out on the delicious maillards.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With sous vide, the rule is brown prior for flavor, after for texture. As long as you're searing at high heat, it shouldn't be on the heat for more than 30 seconds and won't overcook the meat.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Fiance's birthday coming up.

I'm planning on making some roasted smashed potatoes and braised lamb chops (both recipes from Cooks Illustrated), but need to think of a great veggie side as well.

Usually my sides are pretty simple. I just roast a vegetable up or whatever. I'm wondering if anyone can think of a side that is a bit more involved. I cook almost every night so I have to really spice things up on meals like this.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make confit byaldi

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Make a layered gratin with potato, celeriac, turnip, and parsnip in stead of mashed potatoes and cut them out with a ringmold.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Always brown first, if you try to "brown" the meat after it's already been braised you will just end up overcooking it and missing out on the delicious maillards.
The shanks are pretty thick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

With sous vide, the rule is brown prior for flavor, after for texture. As long as you're searing at high heat, it shouldn't be on the heat for more than 30 seconds and won't overcook the meat.
Since you mention it, I think it WAS the texture of those ribs after broiling that really made them great. The rub and the glaze and the outside made a really crunchy crust that I don't think I got the last time I seared, then slow cooked.

It almost sounds like you're saying do both.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
On the subject of sauces a page or two back, and now I'm inspired to try making a sauce for a nice sunday evening pasta dinner. I saw EVG's recipe and that looks like it'll make way too much for my family (I cook for two or three people). Freezer and fridge space are at a premium here, so I'd rather make smaller batches that get used immediately.

Can you make sauces on the small-scale like that? What'd be a good base that I can add stuff to when I want to try a new twist?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

A really nice 2-3 person meal is a simple amatriciana sauce:

1 (good!) can of tomatoes, diced
1 red chili, finely chopped
75ish gram of pancetta or smoked bacon (normal bacon will do in a pinch), diced
1 red onion, chopped
Salt and pepper

In large enough pan, fry the diced pancetta over medium heat until it smells delicious and the fat runs, add the onion and gently fry until soft, about 5 min. Throw in the chopped chili, stir for about 1 min and add the tomatoes.

Leave to reduce for about half an hour on a very gentle simmer, tasting after 20 min to see where it's at.

If it's a little too spicy you can add a touch of cream.

Boil pasta, reheat sauce, drain pasta and add to sauce (or other way round) and cook over low heat for +/- 1 min so the pasta has time to absorb. Penne are ideal, but spaghetti will do.

Sprinkle over chopped basil for a nice flourish if you want.

For a base-base, do the same but just leave out the chili and pancetta. Add in a little minced fresh garlic and whatever herbs you like.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 4, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So I made the Alton Brown egg nog: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html

It's not creamy at all, not thick, and doesn't taste like egg nog. It's also white. I ended up with regular cream instead of heavy so that's part of the problem, but I also don't have access to whole milk. And I believe all the milk in this country has the lactose removed, it would explain why it tastes funny and is so sweet. Could that be enough to totally gently caress up the recipe? What can I do to deal with the lack of whole milk? I don't know what percentage it is, it's not listed on the bottles. I would guess something 2%ish.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Up the milkfat. Add more heavy cream. Also, his nog sucks.

Make this one instead.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Make a layered gratin with potato, celeriac, turnip, and parsnip in stead of mashed potatoes and cut them out with a ringmold.

drat that sounds good. I'm not making Mahsed potatoes though. I'm making Smashed potatoes and she loves them. Here's the recipe. They're dank.

http://www.dinnerbabe.com/2010/10/smashed-potatoes-recipe-from-cooks.html

Casu Marzu posted:

Make confit byaldi

Seems perfect. Just have to find a recipe now.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

I am not a big fan of taters au gratin, but I am TOTALLY making this. :)

Casu Marzu posted:

Up the milkfat. Add more heavy cream. Also, his nog sucks.

Make this one instead.

I actually like his recipe, but it requires knowing how to work with eggs, and a bit of good timing. It's not something you make ahead of time.

Last year at xmas, I made three different kinds of eggnog for a nog off, and AB's was voted the winner. Good stuff.

That said, I've never tried a recipe that calls for aging, so I'm totally trying that one you linked. Thanks!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

So I made the Alton Brown egg nog: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html

It's not creamy at all, not thick, and doesn't taste like egg nog. It's also white. I ended up with regular cream instead of heavy so that's part of the problem, but I also don't have access to whole milk. And I believe all the milk in this country has the lactose removed, it would explain why it tastes funny and is so sweet. Could that be enough to totally gently caress up the recipe? What can I do to deal with the lack of whole milk? I don't know what percentage it is, it's not listed on the bottles. I would guess something 2%ish.
uh, so you made eggnog, changed two of the primary ingredients and it didn't taste like eggnog? :geno:

also, lactose is a sugar, so stuff being sweeter because it's removed.... I don't even know how you arrived at that :psyduck:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Very Strange Things posted:

It almost sounds like you're saying do both.

Yep. I always do both when I sous vide short ribs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Found a shop that sells all sorts of chili peppers in the city I live in. Made my own chili powder using De Arbol, Ancho, Guajillo and another whose name escapes me at the minute. Hoping to make chili using the recipe in the now closed thread and have everything I need except for molasses. Will it make a big difference in how it tastes?

As a side note, drat does the chili pepper I've made smell incredible. Can't wait to use it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jose posted:

Found a shop that sells all sorts of chili peppers in the city I live in. Made my own chili powder using De Arbol, Ancho, Guajillo and another whose name escapes me at the minute. Hoping to make chili using the recipe in the now closed thread and have everything I need except for molasses. Will it make a big difference in how it tastes?

As a side note, drat does the chili pepper I've made smell incredible. Can't wait to use it.
Black Treacle appears to be a reasonable substitute

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
I've been using some cheap plastic kitchen tools for years now and I've lately been looking to replace them. Anyone have any suggestions for a good set of kitchen tools? I thought it would be simple but amazon has so many different sets: nylon, silicone, wood, stainless steel, etc.

Which type do you guys tend to prefer?

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I recently purchased this, for the princely sum of $9.99 + tax:

I've been attempting to cook this:

I haven't been all too successful. Is this just a case of "you get what you pay for," or am I doing something wrong? What I've been doing:

1. Take 1 "rice cup" of the rice, and wash it until the water is clear.

2. Pour rice into cooker bowl.

3. Fill bowl to the marked "1" as directions state. Should I fill the water in before adding the rice to the bowl?

4. Set it on cook. It then is on "cook" for maybe 15-20 minutes, then goes to "warm," without the rice being completely cooked. It ends up mushy on the outside, uncooked in the center. Trying to put it back on "cook" doesn't work, it automatically switches to "warm." Leaving it for a couple hours on "warm" sort of steams it, but not well.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

I've been using some cheap plastic kitchen tools for years now and I've lately been looking to replace them. Anyone have any suggestions for a good set of kitchen tools? I thought it would be simple but amazon has so many different sets: nylon, silicone, wood, stainless steel, etc.

What type of pans do you use?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

particle409 posted:

1. Take 1 "rice cup" of the rice, and wash it until the water is clear.

2. Pour rice into cooker bowl.

3. Fill bowl to the marked "1" as directions state. Should I fill the water in before adding the rice to the bowl?

4. Set it on cook. It then is on "cook" for maybe 15-20 minutes, then goes to "warm," without the rice being completely cooked. It ends up mushy on the outside, uncooked in the center. Trying to put it back on "cook" doesn't work, it automatically switches to "warm." Leaving it for a couple hours on "warm" sort of steams it, but not well.

You are right to wash the rice and add water after the rice. I'm inclined to blame the cheap cooker.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

TheCIASentMe posted:

I use almost entirely bamboo, since it's cheap and tough and does the job well. Some ladels and such are in stainless, and I have a bunch of monkeywood utensils that are indestructable.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

taqueso posted:

You are right to wash the rice and add water after the rice. I'm inclined to blame the cheap cooker.

How big is that cooker? 5 cups? Cooking minimum amounts sometimes does not work out that well on cheap cookers. Try doing 2 cups. That'll give it more time for the water to boil through before it all boils off and it switches to warm mode.

The quality of rice is also suspect. It'll likely be older rice that has been sitting for a while. You'll want a touch more water, like maybe 10-15 percent more, for old rice.

If it keeps giving bad results, hop down to your local Asian grocery and try some of that, or see if your regular grocery carries a real Asian brand of rice.

I still think it's the cooker though.