Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

How is it possible to run through this game twice and never find a regualar slab of titanite? Have all these other slabs and I just want to get some lighting +5

Stray Demon back in the Asylum drops it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

EvilCornbread posted:

So if I don't have a good Divine weapon (my divine mace hits skeletons for like 60), is it even worth doing Nito? I'd really rather not go back to the blacksmith and then work all the way back down to Nito again, but I can't kill the skeletons before he shows up, and then like an rear end in a top hat he ends up killing them before I can land the killing blow.

Also, like 3 big skeletons down there too? What the hell is that?

Wait for Nito near the entrance. If you do that you'll only agro the human skeletons, making the fight trivial.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

EvilCornbread posted:

So if I don't have a good Divine weapon (my divine mace hits skeletons for like 60), is it even worth doing Nito? I'd really rather not go back to the blacksmith and then work all the way back down to Nito again, but I can't kill the skeletons before he shows up, and then like an rear end in a top hat he ends up killing them before I can land the killing blow.

Also, like 3 big skeletons down there too? What the hell is that?

I read somewhere that you just need to have a divine weapon EQUIPPED, and don't need to actually kill them with it (like have it equipped in your second right-hand slot, and kill them with the weapon in the first slot). I haven't actually tested this, though.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Space Hamlet posted:

So if this data is correct, weapon stat scaling is still pretty much worthless in 1.04. Upgrading a weapon to +15 gives it approximately a 15% buff to the scaling bonus, where it really needs to be more like 100% to tie with elemental. Plus which, most boss weapons continue not to upgrade their bonuses.

Welp!

Edit: Assuming I'm reading it correctly. What does the number under the letter grade actually mean?

Heres a repost of my effortpost from a million pages back on this.
I tested a bunch of weapons. This is after patch only.

My character has 32 Str 22 Dex 12 Faith, so we'd hopefully see some good benefits from that much strength, at least.

Dagger Holy +5 does 76 +11 and 92 +6, plus the mysterious 110 holy that seems to add no damage.
The total on paper should be around 185 without the holy, or 295 with. Scaling is E D C Str Dex Faith.
Actual damage:

vs Burg soldier = 57
vs Tree, level 1 = 36
vs basic Snake guy = 25 (kind of low..)

Longsword +5 is 120 + 71, scaling C C, 191 total and in one damage type.

vs Burg soldier =106 (strange that this is double the dagger, almost.)
vs Tree = 84
vs Snake = 31 (snakes must be slash resistant? this seemed really low.)

Large Club +10 does 240 + 182 now for a total of 422, one damage type, scaling A to strength only.

vs Burg = 316
vs Tree = 295
vs Snake = 196

For comparison here's the damage of a +4 lightning spear. I dont remember what the stats add up to but it didnt change and it was around 200-220 + 200-220 for around ~450

vs Burg = 373 (must be weak to lightning)
vs Tree = 231
vs Snake = 146

I tried to compare 3 different types so the results wouldn't be muddied too much by resistances. The break even point for strength beating elemental weapons after the patch seems to be somewhere below 32 strength, and that's only on a +10 club, not a +15 one. Granted, also only a +4 spear. I imagine damage might be pretty significantly better now for stronger characters. I cant really test Dex but it's probably still hurt by it's weapons not having a very high base damage- the club seems to do well because of it's 240 base. Holy weapons still seem really off- the dagger should have been doing more considering it's 185 only a little less than the longsword with one damage type and about 1/3 of the lightning spear with 2 types, yet it does about 1/6 of the damage. Does everything resist magic or does magic damage still blow?

Basically I don't know about Dex but Str is looking pretty good, I'm at +12 now and the club is ~270 + ~220 at 36 str- the numbers don't compare great to a lightning zwee but I wish I could test the damage on enemies (I don't have one) because the lightning spear had higher numbers on paper but did significantly less damage except to the Burg night. I also want to test out the Demon Great Axe which has better scaling, and also the Dragon Tooth/ Smaug's hammer, which have much better base damage but not very good scaling. I can say that the dragon tooth has better range for PvP than the zwei, with a sweeping side-swing thing that has crazy range.

Edit: If that wiki is right +4 spear has slighly Less damage on paper at 416, not more. Oops! So maybe not so impressive.

Spiking fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 4, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Crowbear posted:

You never went back to the Asylum?

I did. How did I miss it? E: NM question answered.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

NESguerilla posted:

I did. How did I miss it?

Did you kill the boss? He drops it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't. So that's the only one in the game Huh? drat.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I did. How did I miss it? E: NM question answered.

When you get back inside just past the fire hollows, just run straight forward. You might be surprised what you find.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

NESguerilla posted:

I didn't. So that's the only one in the game Huh? drat.

There's another one for completing Seigmeyer's story.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Going back to the whole depression talk, anyone else feel really bad when Sif rolls over after he takes too much damage and when he gets up, has a nasty limp?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Spiking posted:

Large Club +10 does 240 + 182 now for a total of 422, one damage type, scaling A to strength only.

vs Burg = 316
vs Tree = 295
vs Snake = 196

For comparison here's the damage of a +4 lightning spear. I dont remember what the stats add up to but it didnt change and it was around 200-220 + 200-220 for around ~450

vs Burg = 373 (must be weak to lightning)
vs Tree = 231
vs Snake = 146

Edit: If that wiki is right +4 spear has slighly Less damage on paper at 416, not more. Oops! So maybe not so impressive.

It would be more valuable to compare a +15 spear with a +5 lightning spear or some other weapons that are equivalent. The large club has a slower moveset than the spear and there are all kinds of other variables.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Going back to the whole depression talk, anyone else feel really bad when Sif rolls over after he takes too much damage and when he gets up, has a nasty limp?

Shouldn't have attacked me first. :colbert:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Kongming posted:

Everything I've read regarding Lautrec leaving and my own personal experience leads me to believe collecting the Blighttown Firekeeper's Soul is the trigger.
Or ringing two bells.

Space Hamlet posted:

Edit: Assuming I'm reading it correctly. What does the number under the letter grade actually mean?
It's the actual scaling value which the letter represents.

S is >= 141, A is >= 101, B is >= 81, C is >= 51, D is >= 21, E is >= 1

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Edoraz posted:

You're trying to steal the ring he's protecting.

Poor doggy :smith:

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

gibbed posted:

It's the actual scaling value which the letter represents.

S is >= 141, A is >= 101, B is >= 81, C is >= 51, D is >= 21, E is >= 1

So much is obvious but what's the equation linking that number to the actual bonus?

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Adrian Owlsley posted:

It would be more valuable to compare a +15 spear with a +5 lightning spear or some other weapons that are equivalent. The large club has a slower moveset than the spear and there are all kinds of other variables.

I'd really like to compare it with another large club but I can't seem to get one to drop! Just poo poo from the poo poo ogres. When I do I'm gonna make a lightning/fire one and compare. Its not really helpful to compare two spears because their scaling isnt good enough. Even after patch I wouldn't bother trying to +15 a weapon without A/S scaling.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Edoraz posted:

All he was trying to do was to stop you from defalcating his master's grave.

Although I would probably have more sympathy for Sif if he didn't try to cut me in half with a giant rear end sword.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Spiking posted:

NUMBERS

Hmm, that's fairly interesting. I guess looks can be a bit deceiving when you're just taking into consideration raw numbers. So depending on how Resistances are calculated, a Lightning/Fire weapon with "higher" numbers may not do as much damage as a pure physical weapon with "lower" numbers. That doesn't quite make up for the fact that elemental weapons are still leagues above scaling weapons, but it DOES give us the reason why it was that way in the first place.

Hopefully From Software doesn't stop here and gives the game at least one more patch for balance issues before deciding to call it quits. They're getting there!

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
If I'm making a INT based sorcerer am I better off making my weapon magic or just going the same fire/lightning route?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Fenom posted:

If I'm making a INT based sorcerer am I better off making my weapon magic or just going the same fire/lightning route?

Enchanted weapons actually have really solid scaling, and will be comparable if you have a fair amount of int.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
Edit:^^^ The scaling on both Magic and Enchanted are pretty solid (they stay surprisingly close to each other, according to the calculator), so it doesn't matter that much what you pick.

Fenom posted:

You could do both! But from a numbers perspective, the total damage numbers end up pretty drat close when you reach high-end stats (40-50 Int with 20 Str & Dex) so it's really up to you.

Jetpack Postman fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 4, 2011

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Enchanted weapons actually have really solid scaling, and will be comparable if you have a fair amount of int.

Alright that's what I was hoping for, thanks.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Just finished the game for the first time, finally. It all happened so suddenly! I didn't even get a chance to explore/farm much of the Kiln. :( I brought in a couple phantoms who helped me absolutely annihilate Gwyn, didn't realize we'd be at the boss area so soon, just figured it was a mid-area fog gate. Oh well! Super stoked to have it done finally.

NG+, hooo! :black101:

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

I read somewhere that you just need to have a divine weapon EQUIPPED, and don't need to actually kill them with it (like have it equipped in your second right-hand slot, and kill them with the weapon in the first slot). I haven't actually tested this, though.

I just killed Neato yesterday. I took my claymore to him, while having an occult winged spear equiped in the same slot as a second weapon. A fire claymore to the face killed him dead in this scenario.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
I have now killed literally over 160 silver knights with the serpent ring

and no shield

what the loving gently caress

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you leave him be long enough while limping, his 360ish swing attack takes it all out of him, and he yelps and kicks as he tumbles onto his back. It really is pretty depressing. That's why I always choose to let him go free at that point.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Fenom posted:

It's also worth mentioning that the Great Sword of Moonlight is pretty nice. At +5 pre-patch (I think it's getting buffed) mine does around 425 raw magic damage with 50 Int (a really high A scaling).

It also uses the same move set as the claymore except the strong attacks are replaced with ranged attacks that eat durability. But... it keeps my two favorite claymore attacks, the weak one handed and weak two handed swings which are both nice for PvP because they can stun lock low poise players.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

enojy posted:

If you leave him be long enough while limping, his 360ish swing attack takes it all out of him, and he yelps and kicks as he tumbles onto his back. It really is pretty depressing. That's why I always choose to let him go free at that point.
I haven't fought Sif but I thought you couldn't spare him

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

I haven't fought Sif but I thought you couldn't spare him

He's trolling you. There's a rumor that if you are in the Forest Covenant and stop attacking Sif after this stage he gives you the ring and takes off, this rumor has spread like wildfire it's everywhere.

I can kind of see why, some people have a really hard time killing dogs in video games, no matter what the circumstances. I got a buddy that could barley beat the Old World Blues DLC for New Vegas because cyber dogs are an enemy there.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Convergence posted:

I have now killed literally over 160 silver knights with the serpent ring

and no shield

what the loving gently caress

On my level 1 character the first time I went through the castle I got every single silver knight drop before resting at the bonfire to refill my estus after unlocking all the shortcuts. 1 sword, 2 spears, and 1 shield. It blew my mind. I didn't even care to get them as my character can't use them.

I have noticed that a lot though, the things I want only drop on my characters that can't and won't ever be able to use them. Its as if the game sees me and says to itself, "oh he's doing a str build, I guess I'll only drop stuff that requires faith and int. That will teach him!" or "Oh, he's a mage this time. Hmm I'll make all the black knights drop all their cool poo poo now"

Sometimes the game is an rear end in a top hat.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Do plunging attacks count as Critical damage for the purpose of wearing the Hornet Ring?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
I am noticing a lack of signs and stuff now on PS3. Or maybe I am overlevelled...

Is 67 too high for Demon Ruins? I am outside the fog door of, I think, Firesage and not seeing poo poo at all.

:smith:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've also noticed a drop in online activity, probably due to the JP patch which I assume has split the player base for now.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Dear Watson posted:

Sometimes the game is an rear end in a top hat.

Corrected this for you.

Kiwillian posted:

I am noticing a lack of signs and stuff now on PS3. Or maybe I am overlevelled...

Is 67 too high for Demon Ruins? I am outside the fog door of, I think, Firesage and not seeing poo poo at all.

:smith:

You'll probably have better luck hanging out near the bonfire instead of the door! That seems like a pretty reasonable level (especially given that you'll see people who are something like +15 levels from you) but that particular spot isn't very popular. Firesage is kind of a pushover, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hell yeah, I am now grossly incandescent...well, more so than before anyway. I have a shiny golden summoning sign and a lightning javelin.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

StringOfLetters posted:

You'll probably have better luck hanging out near the bonfire instead of the door! That seems like a pretty reasonable level (especially given that you'll see people who are something like +15 levels from you) but that particular spot isn't very popular. Firesage is kind of a pushover, though.

Finally found 2 people at the door and, yeah, it was not hard. One phantom died though :ohdear:

Now at the next guy and the only sign I have seen, twice, has failed. Ugh.

edit: new bloke showed up and it failed 3 times :(

Kiwillian fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 4, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

There are probably a group of players waiting for the patch before getting back to the game too. I know I am. Once the patch hits I am going to come back to the game strength it up with giant impractical weapons.

Edit: Useful post from gamefaqs

EWGF posted:

There has been a lot of talk about Poise, and adding poise, and building a loadout around it... but nobody really knew what it actually did or how it worked. I was fortunate enough to invade Toast from wikidot today, and he left me to my own devices and allowed me to test my theories on Poise... and I can provide you with some solid data. Thanks again Toast for your help and incredible patience.

1) Poise is a meter as suspected. Identical to a status build-up meter, but it regenerates much faster... it's actually much more like your stamina while blocking, except it refills pretty quick. Increasing your Poise increases the size of this meter.

2) Whenever you resist a hit-stun by being hit, you're Poise meter empties by a variable value (determined from a composite of weapon and swing).

3) When your Poise meter empties completely due to taking successive hits (or a big hit) you are prone to hit-stun for a very brief period. This period is like 1-2 seconds. Probably less then 1 second in fact.

4) Damage probably does not factor into the amount of build-up you get (as Toast could crush my poise fairly easily with a unmodified Claymore). It's by weapon-type and swing type. Weapons are rated the same if they share a type. A Bastard Sword and a Claymore can both be resisted by the same amount of Poise (aside from special R2s that vary between weapons, also, there may be some special cases). Swings are mostly rated the same... but some WDs/WRs/R2s can reduce your poise much more then a vanilla R1.

5) The properties of some swings can be altered by increasing poise. For example, Greatsword 2h R2 has a knock-back property against low poise. If you add a fair bit of poise this instead becomes a heavy stun. If you add even more poise... even this stun can be resisted.

6) I'm uncertain how long it takes a sizable Poise bar to refill from nearly empty. It looks like like 4-6ish seconds. It's pretty hard to test. A test like this is like trying to see how long your it takes your stamina to refill from empty... without emptying it 100%... while the bar is invisible.

I tested a few breakpoints to find some jazz, see what I could puzzle out. I didn't test everything... I couldn't. I didn't have the stats to wield everything, nor did I have it all on me. Adding poise also appears to be additive... not diminishing, which means you'll probably never want to stack it to high-heaven unless you're some kind of idiot.

- 40 poise seemed to stop most non-issue light stuns. Nothing that will combo you, but junk like Katanas, Barbed Swords, etc. This would probably be the minimal amount to have if you're using any larger weapons.

- 53 poise stops one 2-handed Claymore swing. Probably the most important breakpoint in the game.

- 55 stops one 2-handed Murakumo swing. Might as well go for this if you have 53. This will likely be the most common amount of Poise for sensible players that use it. Anything beyond here is cake icing.

- 76 stops one 2-handed Zwei/Gaxe swing (R1 swings only). This is probably the most you should ever go for. You'll need 106 poise to resist even 2 Claymore swings, which doesn't seem reasonable. Increasing Poise beyond 76 however will start turning certain Zwei/Gaxe (and like other) knockdowns into stuns.

Other issues.
It seems Poise may potentially suffer from the same issues as Bleed build up, aka you can damage Poise with a Phantom Hit. This is good and bad. It means that if your Poise meter empties during a Phantom Hit, you won't get stunned... however on the flip-side, you can take some Poise damage from a Phantom Hit during a roll (or what-have-you) and then have it break on a clean hit immediately afterwards that normally wouldn't have broke your Poise.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 4, 2011

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

I have had one successful summon out of about 20 tries in the last hour. Something is broken. It never used to be this bad.

I just want to finish this game :cry:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I MIGHT be imagining things but the framerate in blighttown MIGHT have improved a little with the 1.04 patch. It's still bad but didn't go into seconds-per-frame territory like I remember.

Also lightning javelins completely dominate Quelag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Finally found some warm bodies to soak up both firesage and the other bloke. Yay!

Now I am in the shortcut tunnel. Sunbro is here which I guess is a good thing?

I cannot get past this titanite demon thing though. I tried earlier in the week and gently caress that. No signs around though :(

• Locked thread