Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
I downloaded DCUO from the PSN store last night, but the size was only a couple hundred megabytes. Does it do the big install after you actually launch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mechanigma posted:

I downloaded DCUO from the PSN store last night, but the size was only a couple hundred megabytes. Does it do the big install after you actually launch it?

Yes, and it's like 14gb.

It's better that way, because if you actually had to download 14gb then you would need 28gb free to unpack it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mechanigma posted:

Yeah, which seems rather odd.

Anyway, am I crazy or did they redesign Elena and Chloe's faces in Uncharted 3?

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, which seems rather odd.

Anyway, am I crazy or did they redesign Elena and Chloe's faces in Uncharted 3?

They did. They look human now.

XionPi
May 8, 2006

The 125MB PSN download is just the launcher. Once you open that, it downloads all game data, then launches the actual game. Same thing that WoW does.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's too bad that from what I've read it seems like in Uncharted 3 they haven't fixed the lovely difficulty the series has had up to this point.
I think the only Uncharted game I enjoyed was the first title which I bought shortly after I got my PS3. Unfortunately, by the time 2 came out the honeymoon period was over and I didn't like some of the things they changed or added. The increase in the bland puzzles and platforming (hold up and press X to win :allears:) made a lot of sections bland as poo poo, and Chloe and that forgettable British guy were terrible characters who only served to introduce an unnecessary element of melodrama that the series didn't need.
It didn't help that Drake died in 3 shots, which made melee completely useless as staying outside cover was a good way to get yourself killed. Not that this problem was only present in the second game, as I replayed the first a couple of months ago and it isn't as good as I remember.

I wish the series would stop being a graphics showcase and just drop all pretense of realism and babbys first puzzle/platforming game and become a more polished version of Dead to Rights: Retribution.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GUI posted:

I wish the series would stop being a graphics showcase and just drop all pretense of realism and babbys first puzzle/platforming game and become a more polished version of Dead to Rights: Retribution.

So you want the Uncharted series to look graphically ugly and instead of being realistic you want Drake to have a dog that rips guy's balls off and takes down helicopters?

Why are you even playing the games?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllly don't get the complaints about Uncharted 3 and frankly it sounds like a shitload of :spergin:

I don't even understand the complaints about the differences in controls (I'm able to headshot and bead just fine, and actually find them EASIER than UC2), the game is gorgeous, the voice acting is perfect, and it basically improves from what I have gone through so far on everything that Uncharted 2 did well.

Goons expecting the series to change so that it's more like Dead to Rights or some poo poo at this point is ridiculous.

Uncharted is what it is. It's sometimes obtuse (but cmon, it's a game about treasure hunting), occasionally frustrating in its control scheme, always beautiful, and absolutely rewarding. I'm very happy with ND's effort this time around. I think people were expecting the formula to change significantly and set the bar even higher, but I'm pretty sure that Uncharted 2 already established the limit for games of this genre for the current generation. Everything I've read that's negative about the game seems like totally overblown nitpicking.

e: I can't believe that you found any part of Uncharted 2 as "bland". May I ask, then, what your standards are for "fresh" in gaming? :allears:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 4, 2011

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sorry if this has been posted, but Square is releasing Chrono Cross, FFV, and FFVI on the PSN in the next four weeks.

Totally grabbing FFVI on December 6, load times be damned.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Nail Rat posted:

Sorry if this has been posted, but Square is releasing Chrono Cross, FFV, and FFVI on the PSN in the next four weeks.

Totally grabbing FFVI on December 6, load times be damned.
I can't find my copy of Chrono Cross, so it will be neat to own it and enjoy the gameplay again (while hating the story/characters).

Shame FFV didn't come out sooner as I just started playing FFVA.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

So you want the Uncharted series to look graphically ugly and instead of being realistic you want Drake to have a dog that rips guy's balls off and takes down helicopters?

Why are you even playing the games?

I think the elements for a very good game are already in the Uncharted series: being able to switch to firearms and melee on the fly? Sometimes having multiple approaches during combat? This is good, but the way these things are executed is extremely bland due to the series over-reliance on trying to be realistic and its insistence on breaking the combat segments with bland platforming/puzzling frequently (at least in the second title, the first is a bit better about this).

I'm not sure how I came across that I wanted the titles to have ugly graphics? I meant that Naughty Dog should start working on making the gameplay better instead of spending most of their time making the game look shinier.

Basically, the series is decent but it could be a lot better if it played on its strengths instead of trying to vary things up with dull gameplay elements. I remained hopeful that Uncharted 3 would fix some things (not all) in the series that I didn't like, however it seems like that isn't the case.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

a shameful boehner posted:

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllly don't get the complaints about Uncharted 3 and frankly it sounds like a shitload of :spergin:

I don't even understand the complaints about the differences in controls (I'm able to headshot and bead just fine, and actually find them EASIER than UC2), the game is gorgeous, the voice acting is perfect, and it basically improves from what I have gone through so far on everything that Uncharted 2 did well.

Goons expecting the series to change so that it's more like Dead to Rights or some poo poo at this point is ridiculous.

Uncharted is what it is. It's sometimes obtuse (but cmon, it's a game about treasure hunting), occasionally frustrating in its control scheme, always beautiful, and absolutely rewarding. I'm very happy with ND's effort this time around. I think people were expecting the formula to change significantly and set the bar even higher, but I'm pretty sure that Uncharted 2 already established the limit for games of this genre for the current generation. Everything I've read that's negative about the game seems like totally overblown nitpicking.

e: I can't believe that you found any part of Uncharted 2 as "bland". May I ask, then, what your standards are for "fresh" in gaming? :allears:

I think its hardly sperging when there is a clear change to the controls that is easily reproduced. But the point is that the differences between Uncharted 2 and 3 are pretty stark in terms of the way combat is balanced. If anything its a step back from Uncharted 2. Now if you call the combat being worse than it was in part 2 overblown nitpicking, well you do realize that about 80 percent of the game is combat right? That is hardly a nitpick. Even SamBishop who has loved the previous titles in the series noticed that something was up with this entry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GUI posted:

I think the elements for a very good game are already in the Uncharted series: being able to switch to firearms and melee on the fly? Sometimes having multiple approaches during combat? This is good, but the way these things are executed is extremely bland due to the series over-reliance on trying to be realistic and its insistence on breaking the combat segments with bland platforming/puzzling frequently (at least in the second title, the first is a bit better about this).

...Wow. You exist?

Someone actually prefers the combat of Uncharted over the rest?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Aphrodite posted:

...Wow. You exist?

I actually think the combat is the best part about it. The platforming and puzzles are woefully simplistic. The combat is fun, but many of the combat scenarios in the games are not.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Aphrodite posted:

...Wow. You exist?

I don't know about Uncharted 3, but Uncharted 2's platforming segments often felt like a drag and since the path was almost always linear I'd have preferred to just watch shorter versions of the platforming in cutscenes than have to act them out myself.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
For me (and I dare say the majority of people), the story, atmosphere, and set-pieces are the hallmark of the Uncharted series. The platforming and gameplay are entertaining methods of navigating Naughty Dog's presentation, and I definitely enjoy them. I increasingly enjoy the platforming the more I play the titles (however simple it is), and the eye-candy I'm sure is a huge contributor to this enjoyment. I'll agree that the combat is not spectacular, but everything else about 3 is to me. To expect Naughty Dog to improve on their combat and platforming formula any more than they did from 1 to 2, which is slightly, screams unrealistic expectations to me.

And I just don't buy that the combat is worse than 2 at all.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The platforming, puzzle-solving, and gunplay in Uncharted games are not outstanding, not one of them. They're all "pretty good" but have big negatives associated with them(guns aren't accurate, too many enemies/spawns as a cheap means of challenge, linear platforming, fairly straightforward puzzle solving).

The epic scenery, music, writing, and acting aren't matched by any other series though, and that's why it's special.

Having said that I've not played Uncharted 3 yet and am in no big rush to having just gotten back from an expensive as gently caress vacation to Paris, but I can think of a lot of places in the first two games where I just about said "gently caress this" to endlessly spawning giant nameless brown guys with guns from ten directions so if people are bitching this much I'm worried.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So amazon's got that deal on buy 3 games, get them for the price of two.

Thinking about Arkham City and Rage. Any other choices I could make? I already have Dark Souls and unfortunately they're gonna end the sale before Skyrim or Saint's Row 3.

I'd get Uncharted 3, but it just seems like it's not worth it if I was playing single player alone.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Would it be safe for me to press the menu button and quit out of DC Universe while it's downloading those 14 gigs? I didn't think it would take as long as it is on my connection and would rather do that later.

Also, I'll one-up the weirdness of the earlier post and say I'm not a huge fan of Uncharted in general. Dig the plot and characters, but the shooting portions of the game are monotonous and frustrating to me.

Behonkiss fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 4, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Behonkiss posted:

Would it be safe for me to press the menu button and quit out of DC Universe while it's downloading those 14 gigs? I didn't think it would take as long as it is on my connection and would rather do that later.

Also, I'll one-up the weirdness of the earlier post and say I'm not a huge fan of Uncharted in general. Dig the plot and characters, but the shooting portions of the game are monotonous and frustrating to me.

It'll pick up where it left off next time you launch it, yeah.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I think it's been said before, but I'd like to make note again;

Please don't buy Hydra Prophecy it is terrible.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Oh man. I just got my ICO/SotC HD Collection in the mail and man, is it a class act all the way.

From the snazzy reversible cover (so satisfying to finally own a copy of ICO with the proper cover art), the game selection menu using SotC concept art, the Team ICO interviews, rare concept videos... it's amazing. I'd love to see more games emulate this.

And the games themselves... so crisp, so clear. After playing ICO in something like SD 320x240, seeing it in HD is like a revelation.

Any word if the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is just a barebones release, or any special features too?

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 4, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Green Puddin posted:

I think it's been said before, but I'd like to make note again;

Please don't buy Hydra Prophecy it is terrible.

I really really really like the water in the game and feel like it would be a better game if it dropped the lovely shooting mechanics altogether and focused on being a more horror-like claustrophobic struggle against masses of water doing their best to drown you.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm pretty certain UK game stores are now actively allergic to having RPGs anywhere in them - I tried to get Disgaea 4 today only to be told that Game and Gamestation, pretty much the two major game chains, aren't going to be stocking it outside of their mail order sites. I can understand doing that for something like Agarest or Neptunia or other dodgier titles, but Disgaea?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
:siren: Playstation Network Game Sharing change :siren:

For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.

PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

So this means Game sharing will basically be split between two people now? That's a real bummer :sigh:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Well to be fair, how many people used game sharing for anything other than just getting games for cheaper or letting their friends get their games for free?

Looks like I'm gonna have to tell some buddies not to download any of the newer PSN stuff I'll be buying!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah it was always against the rules to share with other people not the purchaser, or to split costs, I guess Sony have finally gotten sick of people flaunting the system.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stelas posted:

I'm pretty certain UK game stores are now actively allergic to having RPGs anywhere in them - I tried to get Disgaea 4 today only to be told that Game and Gamestation, pretty much the two major game chains, aren't going to be stocking it outside of their mail order sites. I can understand doing that for something like Agarest or Neptunia or other dodgier titles, but Disgaea?

Disgaea isn't graphic or explicit or anything, but to outside observers it has all the look and feel of some total goony poo poo. It got caught in an overreaction. Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

People use the term "game share" as if it's something that Sony touted/encouraged/condoned but hey they didn't. A ten dollar game costs ten dollars sorry.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nail Rat posted:

People use the term "game share" as if it's something that Sony touted/encouraged/condoned but hey they didn't. A ten dollar game costs ten dollars sorry.
Hypocrisy knows no bounds eh, Nail Rat?!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nail Rat posted:

People use the term "game share" as if it's something that Sony touted/encouraged/condoned but hey they didn't. A ten dollar game costs five dollars sorry.

Fixed for when the update rolls around.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Nevermind

Dukket fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 4, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

While it's kind of a downer that the account permission number is changing, it is a good thing that Sony finally implemented a way to manage system activations from a website. My main account only has one left after all my friends' original PS3s died over the past 6 odd years and I've been terrified of the idea that this one might go too and Sony wouldn't clean the slate over the phone or whatever.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
If I dont' care at all about the multiplayer stuff, is there real difference between the normal and GOTY editions of Uncharted 2?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Flayer posted:

Hypocrisy knows no bounds eh, Nail Rat?!

What the gently caress are you talking about? I buy all my games. Always said "no thanks, I'll buy it" when friends offered to share their account with me for a game.

I've shared a few with friends but I didn't think they were entitled and nor did they. And I don't feel bad about it with the retarded number I buy and the small number they ever actually played, so you can gently caress off Flayer.

Don't have any idea where the gently caress you're coming from here or how you think you have any loving idea what I've bought.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 4, 2011

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Ineffiable posted:

So amazon's got that deal on buy 3 games, get them for the price of two.

Thinking about Arkham City and Rage. Any other choices I could make? I already have Dark Souls and unfortunately they're gonna end the sale before Skyrim or Saint's Row 3.

I'd get Uncharted 3, but it just seems like it's not worth it if I was playing single player alone.

Either get Uncharted 3 or Battlefield 3 because that got added today. The deal ends tomorrow, too, so if you're on the fence you should pull the trigger soon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tamagod Sushi posted:

:siren: Playstation Network Game Sharing change :siren:

For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.

PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

So this means Game sharing will basically be split between two people now? That's a real bummer :sigh:

There just went one of the best benefits of having a PS3. :sigh:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It was fun while it lasted. To be honest, a lot of the games I got in gameshares I'd never have purchased at full price (I call this "Steam sale syndrome") so I am not sure if this won't come back to bite them in the rear end.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Katana Gomai posted:

It was fun while it lasted. To be honest, a lot of the games I got in gameshares I'd never have purchased at full price (I call this "Steam sale syndrome") so I am not sure if this won't come back to bite them in the rear end.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this will work out in the long run. It's hard to say. On the one hand, in theory, they've been getting 1/5th the amount they're supposed to be getting. On the other hand there's no way I would have bothered with 80% of the stuff I have if it weren't for the share group. It's hard to say for sure how sales are going to look after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Disgaea isn't graphic or explicit or anything, but to outside observers it has all the look and feel of some total goony poo poo. It got caught in an overreaction. Unfortunate, but not surprising.

I'm pretty sure that the reason for non-Bioware/Bethesda RPGs practically disappearing from shelves isn't 'Hurr durr animus', and more the fact that sales from folks walking in off the street have most likely dwindled in stores to the point where it's not worth even stocking them - niche items sell plenty well online, anyway.

If stores were afraid of offending peoples delicate sensibilities, they wouldn't have stocked bullshit like Dante's Inferno, which was basically 'Blood-soaked titties: The Game'.

• Locked thread