Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I agree, this is a good compromise, and it also prevents Creepers from ruining adventure maps you're halfway through.
If you want this in Singleplayer, Zombe's mod has an option for it under "Boom"/explosion control.

I found that turning the damage to environment completely off made creepers barely a nuisance. Trigger & run away, using server lag to prevent any personal damage.

I use CreeperHeal on my server. It keeps creepers still a threat but doesn't cause fits of apoplexy because you didn't see the guy in time or the phone rang or whatnot.

And for my girlfriend who absolutely hates hates hates creepers, I use the permissions system to deauthorize her from being able to become the target of a creeper so she can build in peace. She can punch 'em to death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

redmercer posted:

Yeah, I think I could stand to be attacked by a dungeon chest or diamond ore.

New mobs, goldenfish and diamondfish. Like silverfish but disguised as gold and diamonds. The diamond ones explode like supercharged creepers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Either official modding or whatever becomes the stand-in for a modding foundation needs to handle one major issue, and that's limited indexes.
Forge does a good job of handling a low count of available textures, but there's still block and item IDs to worry about. You simply can't have too many mods installed because you'll run out of block IDs (or texture slots if your mods aren't all Forge-compatible). What this limits the most is mods that add lots of new, unique blocks and items, such as, say, a decorative suite.

runsamok posted:

I use CreeperHeal on my server.
When it says "replaces paintings", what does that mean?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

When it says "replaces paintings", what does that mean?

If a painting was on the wall and it got blown off by the explosion , the plugin is comprehensive enough to replace the same painting on the wall when it's reconstructed. I've not done any tests regarding how it interacts with my quasi-tekkit though.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I don't know if you guys have seen this, but the iphone developers are at it again. And this time it's a mash up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

prahanormal posted:

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but the iphone developers are at it again. And this time it's a mash up.

It was posted a few days ago. Why is this still up? Why is Apple so incompetent?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

runsamok posted:

If a painting was on the wall and it got blown off by the explosion , the plugin is comprehensive enough to replace the same painting on the wall when it's reconstructed. I've not done any tests regarding how it interacts with my quasi-tekkit though.
Oh okay. I was worried it meant something like it replaces paintings... with something else. Like you can't normally use paintings anymore because that blockID is now used by the mod as a placeholder for destroyed blocks or something.
I know, it sounds stupid, but mods have done stupider things in the past.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It was posted a few days ago. Why is this still up? Why is Apple so incompetent?

I thought he wouldn't comment on it.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Al Baron posted:

I thought he wouldn't comment on it.

Meanwhile anything with tits or remotely critical of Apple gets removed as if they had a time machine.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They aren't copyright cops, they only care about making sure apps don't steal your contacts or download goatse to your lock screen.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Yeah, meanwhile Notch posts a tweet against Apple, when he could just call them up and get the problem fixed; he's got his own lawyers to deal with this. I have to say though, I've never seen something so blatant.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Yeah, meanwhile Notch posts a tweet against Apple, when he could just call them up and get the problem fixed; he's got his own lawyers to deal with this. I have to say though, I've never seen something so blatant.

Is it not feasible he's both done his end to take care of it and is bitching about Apple?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I just think it's weird because the last thing I thought I'd ever hear anyone say about the App Store is "Apple isn't clenching its rear end in a top hat hard enough".

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Now I'm no lawyer, but since Minecraft isn't actually released yet (its a beta, remember?), how is this copyright infringement? In fact, wouldn't *Notch* be the one on shaky legal ground if he ever releases Minecraft, since this game is already released?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Narciss posted:

Now I'm no lawyer, but since Minecraft isn't actually released yet (its a beta, remember?), how is this copyright infringement? In fact, wouldn't *Notch* be the one on shaky legal ground if he ever releases Minecraft, since this game is already released?

Minecraft is a product that is sold commercially, whether Notch calls it "released" or not.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Narciss posted:

That's not how copyright works. Things are copyrighted at the moment of their creation.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I'm surprised the guys who made this iOS game decided to literally copy all the art assets straight from Minecraft. I mean, it's 2D minecraft--it's actually not completely similar, it's not necessarily a clone of Minecraft in a way that would have been copyright infringement--or at least, it wasn't until they lifted all their art from Mojang.

I guess I'm just surprised because this seems like the opposite of the XBLA minecraft knockoffs. This game actually could be fairly different in gamer experience (while the XBLA games are almost exactly the same as Minecraft in gameplay), but they just didn't bother to make any art (while the XBLA guys did).

All in all, while this is still really loving lovely, I actually still consider the XBLA games more derivative and morally reprehensible. At least this iOS game is kind of different, in being 2D.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
On the subject of mobs - I was thinking that an interesting one would be an underground creature which tunelled through the ground - a long wormy creature which ate rock and left ore droppings behind. You'd be mining away and come across a dark twisty passage, which you could venture into to grab the ore - and to make life interesting the mob could take a leaf from Tremors and attack you from underground, through the walls, whatever.

Of course there'd be all the usual issues about people not wanting their creations ruined like there are for creepers and endermen, but I quite like the idea of it. Maybe I should try dusting off my rudimentary Java skills...

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

waffle posted:

All in all, while this is still really loving lovely, I actually still consider the XBLA games more derivative and morally reprehensible. At least this iOS game is kind of different, in being 2D.

This would be a good point if Terraria didn't exist and the app didn't play exactly like it. As it stands the creator is ripping off two different teams at the same time. :haw:

Also wasn't Notch talking about bringing the portible Minecraft to iOS anyway?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's not how copyright works. Things are copyrighted at the moment of their creation.

Unless it's a mod of said copyrighted product.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Unless it's a mod of said copyrighted product.

Clearly you haven't read the dissertations about copyright law posted on the minecraft forums :colbert:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

WebDO posted:

Clearly you haven't read the dissertations about copyright law posted on the minecraft forums :colbert:

I don't read the minecraft forums. If I want insanity I'll go look at LF or D&D.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It's also possible Apple are playing the "Screw you, we're Apple." game with him. Or like anyone who spends more than a moment dealing with Apple or their products, is venting frustration. The only apps in the App store Apple cares about are ones that do things better than their aps. Anything else they're totally cool with.

On a totally different note, not sure if anyone has said this already, but water source blocks seem to replicate source blocks below it until it hits another block. Nifty feature, can also be very annoying.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 5, 2011

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Jeb has said they're rolling water physics back. Hopefully they'll try another solution. I'm glad that he acknowledged there's a problem at least.

For people playing the pre-release, :siren:BIG WARNING::siren: enchantment tables and brewing stands both break quickly with no tool, but don't drop unless you use a pick.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I had no idea they'd even changed water physics.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Yeah what's wrong with the water physics just out of interest? I just got 1.9p5 a minute a go.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
I haven't played this game in ages, but now I'm having a blast on 1.8.1. I did mod Creepers and Endermen to not destroy/move blocks though since I hate that poo poo.

My world seems to be nothing but a series of islands and endless, endless water. My initial spawn point island doesn't have much of interest on it, but far to the south (I think it's south) across a body of water is a massive network of caves I enter by diving into a hole in the ocean. Further south (or whatever direction it s) seems to be an underwater ravine intersecting an abandoned mine shaft. A minecart rail connecting all of these is underway.

If I knew how to get the seed from a created world, I'd share it with you all.

VVVVVV Thanks, this should be it: -970433484921106409

Sudoku fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 5, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Sudoku posted:

I haven't played this game in ages, but now I'm having a blast on 1.8.1. I did mod Creepers and Endermen to not destroy/move blocks though since I hate that poo poo.

My world seems to be nothing but a series of islands and endless, endless water. My initial spawn point island doesn't have much of interest on it, but far to the south (I think it's south) across a body of water is a massive network of caves I enter by diving into a hole in the ocean. Further south (or whatever direction it s) seems to be an underwater ravine intersecting an abandoned mine shaft. A minecart rail connecting all of these is underway.

If I knew how to get the seed from a created world, I'd share it with you all.

Press F3, seed appears in the debug stuff

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Narciss posted:

I'm pretty sure "anyone can pay money for it and receive the game" counts as released dude.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

prahanormal posted:

This would be a good point if Terraria didn't exist and the app didn't play exactly like it. As it stands the creator is ripping off two different teams at the same time. :haw:

Also wasn't Notch talking about bringing the portible Minecraft to iOS anyway?

There's a difference between making a game that borrows heavily from the concept of Minecraft and making a game that literally borrows art assets from Minecraft.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

im a girl btw posted:

Yeah what's wrong with the water physics just out of interest? I just got 1.9p5 a minute a go.

Far as I've found out, if you place a water source block and it has air beneath it, it will replicate water source blocks underneath until it hits something that isn't air I believe. I only found this out by accident when digging at the bottom of the lake and the water in my hole didn't drain after I'd blocked off the top.

Not sure if this happens with lava yet, haven't really had time to check that out. I can see the uses it has, for instance making lakes or ponds and the like, but I can also see some griefing potential there too.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

im a girl btw posted:

Haven't messed around with it too much, but it seems falling water creates infinite source blocks.

Edit: Whoops, should have refreshed before replying, I got distracted by an Enderman :3:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
So a friend was playing on my laptop and my hard drive decided it was going to die (again :smithicide:) and though I would have expected everything should have saved, the world won't show up in the list anymore. Anyone have any ideas what might have gone wrong and how I may go about fixing it?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

So a friend was playing on my laptop and my hard drive decided it was going to die (again :smithicide:) and though I would have expected everything should have saved, the world won't show up in the list anymore. Anyone have any ideas what might have gone wrong and how I may go about fixing it?

Check your .minecraft/saves directory (it'll be under your appdata or application data then roaming) and see if it's there. If it isn't, you've pretty much lost it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Vatek posted:

There's a difference between making a game that borrows heavily from the concept of Minecraft and making a game that literally borrows art assets from Minecraft.

Exactly, and on that front Minecraft borrows concepts from earlier games including one Notch was paid to work on!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Exactly, and on that front Minecraft borrows concepts from earlier games including one Notch was paid to work on!

But it doesn't literally borrow art and assets now does it!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

With that logic, you could argue that most modern FPS borrow concepts from earlier games. There's taking a concept or two and then there's blatant plagiarism.

In fact, you could argue that pretty much everything done now borrows a concept from something that came before. Books, music, movies, art, etc. Where do you draw the line?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Yeah, minecraft'll do that with crashes. It's probably just the level.dat in that world's folder that's corrupted, and that only contains stats and your current inventory and things like the world seed, not the actual terrain. If you have an old copy, replace it with that. If you know the seed, you could gen a new world and use the level.dat from that.

Worst case scenario, you could use a level.dat with a new seed and have ugly borders when you get to new terrain.

DrakoDWyvrex
Feb 5, 2006
Has anyone else been playing with the potions? I ignored them until 1.9.5, and was wondering if the Splash Potion of Harming is bugged in that it will not harm Skeleton's? Also, throw one at and Enderman and it teleports away before it can take damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

DrakoDWyvrex posted:

Has anyone else been playing with the potions? I ignored them until 1.9.5, and was wondering if the Splash Potion of Harming is bugged in that it will not harm Skeleton's? Also, throw one at and Enderman and it teleports away before it can take damage.

Endermen are jerks like that, they'll teleport away from arrows and melee damage too. Not all the time, just enough that they're annoying to deal with. Would be nice if they couldn't teleport through obsidian or something as well, keep finding the odd one wandering my very well lit home.

I will say it is funny to watch them spaz out when it's raining at night and just teleport around like their proverbial rear end is on fire.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 5, 2011