Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've added the article to the OP. There's some good stuff there if people haven't studied anything relating to networking, or if they're new. It's good having an article with current recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Jimlad posted:

My modem is a crappy Netgear modem/router that I want to use only as an ADSL modem. It connects to my nice new Asus router's WAN port, which connects all the other devices on my LAN.

I don't know what duplicate settings I'm supposed to set up on my PC?

I'm turning off NAT on the modem because Devian666 suggested that I should. I know that something might be up with the modem because I have a game that connects fine on my phone's wireless hotspot but won't connect through the modem, so I'm hoping that if I avoid using the modem as much as possible, there's a better chance things will work more reliably.

I only got the router yesterday, but wireless performance on all my connected devices has improved by miles, and I'm not noticing any more issues with needing to reboot the router at random. At this point I want to make sure I have all the settings as they "should" be so that everything just works without me having to worry about it.
what is your ISP and what is the modem model?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Jimlad posted:

My modem is a crappy Netgear modem/router that I want to use only as an ADSL modem. It connects to my nice new Asus router's WAN port, which connects all the other devices on my LAN.
Put your modem into bridge mode and use your router to do PPPoE. I just put together a similar setup last night.

The only disadvantage of this is that you won't be able to access line stats from your modem.

Instructions: forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=814956

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 3, 2011

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jimlad posted:

Hit up google with "set netgear <your model number> bridge mode" and see if someone has written a walkthrough. You'll need to know your connection type - pppoe, pppoa, dhcp, or static ip's - so that you can program your Asus router once you have the netgear in bridge mode.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Devian666 posted:

I run a netgear 3700 as a NAS and it has a throughput of 2.5 MB/s. Apparently the beta firmware has higher NAS throughput. Note that this is with the netgear firmware, no need to use dd-wrt to make it stable.

Thanks for the recommendation! Just got mine today and it works wonderfully.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

fagalicious posted:

what is your ISP and what is the modem model?

Orange, using a Netgear N150 (DGN1000). My router is an Asus RT-N16 which I've flashed with Tomato USB.

Ragingsheep posted:

Put your modem into bridge mode and use your router to do PPPoE. I just put together a similar setup last night.

I tried doing this; turns out the Netgear has a secret "put into modem mode" option, which I enabled. I assume it's normal that I can no longer access the modem's settings through the router? Now I can't seem to access the internet though, so I assume there are some settings on my Asus that I need to change to get it to work? Is there a simple way of confirming whether the modem is actually working as intended?

CuddleChunks posted:

Hit up google with "set netgear <your model number> bridge mode" and see if someone has written a walkthrough. You'll need to know your connection type - pppoe, pppoa, dhcp, or static ip's - so that you can program your Asus router once you have the netgear in bridge mode.

I'm hoping putting the Netgear in Modem mode counts as "bridge mode". I tried setting up my Asus router but Orange says I need to use PPPoA, and there don't look to be any settings for that in Tomato. Does this mean it's impossible to use PPPoA on the router and I'm basically stuffed?

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Jimlad posted:

Orange, using a Netgear N150 (DGN1000). My router is an Asus RT-N16 which I've flashed with Tomato USB.

I tried doing this; turns out the Netgear has a secret "put into modem mode" option, which I enabled. I assume it's normal that I can no longer access the modem's settings through the router? Now I can't seem to access the internet though, so I assume there are some settings on my Asus that I need to change to get it to work? Is there a simple way of confirming whether the modem is actually working as intended?

I'm hoping putting the Netgear in Modem mode counts as "bridge mode". I tried setting up my Asus router but Orange says I need to use PPPoA, and there don't look to be any settings for that in Tomato. Does this mean it's impossible to use PPPoA on the router and I'm basically stuffed?
try pppoe and see if it works

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

fagalicious posted:

try pppoe and see if it works

I set the Netgear back to modem/router mode and connected my computer to it directly, and set it up with PPPoE. When I did that, I couldn't connect to anything on the internet. I then put it back to PPPoA and it connected just fine. So I guess that means PPPoA only.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Jimlad posted:

I set the Netgear back to modem/router mode and connected my computer to it directly, and set it up with PPPoE. When I did that, I couldn't connect to anything on the internet. I then put it back to PPPoA and it connected just fine. So I guess that means PPPoA only.

You want to put it on modem only mode, connect it to the tomato router from the modem's lan port to the wan port on the router, and set pppoe on the tomato router.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

fagalicious posted:

You want to put it on modem only mode, connect it to the tomato router from the modem's lan port to the wan port on the router, and set pppoe on the tomato router.

ok, I gave that a go. The modem said it was connected, Tomato on the router said it was connected, but nothing worked; I couldn't access anything on the internet and couldn't get to the modem's setup page without wiring to it directly.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Jimlad posted:

ok, I gave that a go. The modem said it was connected, Tomato on the router said it was connected, but nothing worked; I couldn't access anything on the internet and couldn't get to the modem's setup page without wiring to it directly.
you shouldn't need the modems setup page. Once you put it in modem mode that's it, all the setup is from the asus.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I thought that you can't access the modem at all when it's been properly put into bridge mode.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Okay guys, I have finially got Broadband in my new house, rather than using my mobile broadband dongle. It is all working great on my girlfriends laptop, using her wireless card. On my home build desktop however, it's a different story. I am using a wired connection with the integrated Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I couldn't get a connection at all for ages, with Windows 7 not recognising an ethernet cable being connected. I reinstalled the drivers and then it started working, great! 30 minutes later it completely died again. Then whenever I do manage to get Windows to recognise a cable connected, it hangs on identifying network. Also of note is when the cable isn't recognised, the LED on the socket is not on either, despite the cable definately being connected correctly.

By changing the device setting for "Speed and Duplex" to 100mbps/Half Duplex it seems to be staying connected, I was wondering if that is going to be a good enough fix or should I be wanting the setting to go back onto auto-negotiation?

If it messes up again I think I might just have to go out and get myself a wireless adaptor.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Jimlad posted:

Did you power cycle both the modem and the router afterwards? Any time you connect a new device directly to a modem you have to do a power cycle on both devices.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Okay guys, I have finially got Broadband in my new house, rather than using my mobile broadband dongle. It is all working great on my girlfriends laptop, using her wireless card. On my home build desktop however, it's a different story. I am using a wired connection with the integrated Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I couldn't get a connection at all for ages, with Windows 7 not recognising an ethernet cable being connected. I reinstalled the drivers and then it started working, great! 30 minutes later it completely died again. Then whenever I do manage to get Windows to recognise a cable connected, it hangs on identifying network. Also of note is when the cable isn't recognised, the LED on the socket is not on either, despite the cable definately being connected correctly.

By changing the device setting for "Speed and Duplex" to 100mbps/Half Duplex it seems to be staying connected, I was wondering if that is going to be a good enough fix or should I be wanting the setting to go back onto auto-negotiation?

If it messes up again I think I might just have to go out and get myself a wireless adaptor.

That sounds like a bad cable. Possibly a bad port on the router or your ethernet device, but I'm betting cable.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

Triikan posted:

That sounds like a bad cable. Possibly a bad port on the router or your ethernet device, but I'm betting cable.

I tried the cable out on my girlfriends laptop and it worked fine, and I have tried all the ports on the router. From what I can find on the internet it seems to be something with the network card... Just can't work out what :(. The connection seems to be okayish now. It drops out every hour or so just to reconnect pretty much straight away. Pretty poo poo when it happens when playing anything online.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Triikan posted:

Did you power cycle both the modem and the router afterwards? Any time you connect a new device directly to a modem you have to do a power cycle on both devices.

I'm pretty sure I did, but I tried again tonight with a 30 second wait just to be sure. Again, Tomato says it has an IP address and it's connected, but still I can't connect to anything on the internet.

Is there anything I can try to diagnose the problem? I wonder if updating the modem's firmware is a decent last resort? I know it has custom firmware so it won't upgrade with any of the built-in methods, but I know it can be done. I'm just wondering if it's advisable since I have no idea what Orange have modified, and I have no guarantees the new firmware will work.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Pogue_Mahone posted:

I tried the cable out on my girlfriends laptop and it worked fine, and I have tried all the ports on the router. From what I can find on the internet it seems to be something with the network card... Just can't work out what :(. The connection seems to be okayish now. It drops out every hour or so just to reconnect pretty much straight away. Pretty poo poo when it happens when playing anything online.

If your girlfriend's laptop works fine with a wired connection, get a cheap network card and stick it in your machine.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jimlad posted:

I'm pretty sure I did, but I tried again tonight with a 30 second wait just to be sure. Again, Tomato says it has an IP address and it's connected, but still I can't connect to anything on the internet.

What IP address does your tomato router get? What is the LAN IP address of that same router?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

What IP address does your tomato router get? What is the LAN IP address of that same router?

When I set the Netgear to "modem mode", this is what the Asus Tomato page says:

Connection Type PPPoE
IP Address 95.149.105.71
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway 217.32.99.122

The Asus/Tomato router is set up on 192.168.1.1.

The IP address above is in a similar format to what the Netgear establishes when I can connect to the internet in modem+router mode.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 5, 2011

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

QuarkMartial posted:

Here's my problem:

I have DSL, and the modem does wifi. The thing is, it's in the back of my house, and I have some network devices (Xbox, etc) in the front of the house that I want to have internet access. The house isn't wired for cat5 or anything like that, and I'm renting it so I can't run the cables myself. What can I do?

The major use of this will be to get Netflix instant on my Xbox (or DVD/Blu-ray player when I get one).

The modem I have has built-in wireless, and I have a couple of spare wireless routers (if that counts for anything).

Anything?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just run cable under trim/over doors. If you don't want to do that messy, cheap solution then, Make your antennas directional or use ethernet over AC wiring.

Is this in the OP?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4695/handson-powerline-networking-how-well-or-not-are-latestgeneration-devices-working

https://k0gkj.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/homebrew-microwave-antennas-that-perform/

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Jimlad posted:

When I set the Netgear to "modem mode", this is what the Asus Tomato page says:

Connection Type PPPoE
IP Address 95.149.105.71
Gateway 217.32.99.122

The IP address above is in a similar format to what the Netgear establishes when I can connect to the internet in modem+router mode.

Maybe its the dns? Try going to http://74.125.226.148 after it gets an ip.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jimlad posted:

Cool, you're getting a pppoe connection.

Change your Asus to a LAN IP range of 192.168.3.1, make sure it updates the dhcp server to use that range and then plug everything back in and see if it magically works.

Also, try fagalicious' suggestion.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

Triikan posted:

Well turns out you are right! I was runnning out of options so I went and grabbed another ethernet cable from town, since I need one for my 360, and yeah the internet it working absolutely fine now. Looks like the cable that BT sent me was faulty. Useless wankers!

Cheers for the help.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

fagalicious posted:

Maybe its the dns? Try going to http://74.125.226.148 after it gets an ip.

Doesn't seem to work. I also tried pinging that address from the Tomato "Tools" section, and got no response. I tried this both before and after trying out the following suggestion.

CuddleChunks posted:

Cool, you're getting a pppoe connection.

Change your Asus to a LAN IP range of 192.168.3.1, make sure it updates the dhcp server to use that range and then plug everything back in and see if it magically works.

ok, just to be sure, here are the settings I put the modem + router on:

Asus router:
WAN
Connection Type PPPoE
IP Address 95.149.106.54
Gateway 217.32.99.122

LAN
Router IP Address 192.168.3.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP 192.168.3.100 - 192.168.3.149

Netgear modem:
LAN TCP/IP Setup
IP Address 192.168.0.1
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Doesn't make a difference as far as I can tell. Router shows as connected, modem says it's connected, but I can't access anything online.

I've also tried resetting the Tomato settings to defaults and configuring only the necessities but again, no difference.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
I have a problem with the wireless USB dongle supplied by my ISP for a week now, but haven't managed to find a solution by discussing it with them in their forum yet.
It's a Netgear WNDA3200, and I use it to connect a PC running Windows XP to my router.
Last weekend it suddenly started seeing the device as a Virtual CD-ROM drive instead. I can't access the "drive" in My Computer, and removing the "drive"'s driver in Device Manager & rebooting doesn't fix anything.
It works fine on another Windows computer so I know the dongle isn't faulty.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
How is the range on the Linksys E2000? I'm looking to get a new router :ohdear:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Amrosorma posted:

How is the range on the Linksys E2000? I'm looking to get a new router :ohdear:

I picked up a refurbished one on newegg a couple weeks ago. Still running stock firmware and I have had no issues with range. I'm on a 3rd floor apartment and I can clearly get signal out by my car, which puts another couple apartments between me and the router, in addition to the distance.

It kinda runs hot though and I've read some people had issues with it overheating (and subsequently drilling holes to increase airflow) but I've had no issues streaming Netflix or running a time machine backup.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Are there any particular suggestions specifically for signal range? I'm looking to spend under 75$. Our old piece of poo poo d-link loses signal outside of the room its placed in, and I really need something that will cover most of the house. This is really the only important thing I need it for.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jimlad posted:

Doesn't seem to work.
It's strange that the pppoe connection from your Asus goes through the Netgear and gets an IP address but you aren't pulling down data. That's seriously weird.

Do you have your computer setup with a static IP address when you're doing these setups? Can you ping any IP addresses out on the internet when PPPoE shows connected? Try 4.2.2.2

If it doesn't ping what error message do you get back? (Do this test from a windows command prompt so you can paste the error code back to us)

There is a chance it may never work but here's another site that mentions your router: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1608943 See if you have that setting and change it after doing the above tests. Try again and see if that makes things work if it wasn't set on before.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
So my connection has gone from 3meg down to 1.5 meg after the connection dropped when I plugged my new phone into the filter socket. Any idea why this may of happened? I have only had the line for about 3 days, so maybe they are still doing stuff at the exchange? Just hoping it isn't going to settle at 1.5meg.

Pogue_Mahone fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 6, 2011

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

It's strange that the pppoe connection from your Asus goes through the Netgear and gets an IP address but you aren't pulling down data. That's seriously weird.

Do you have your computer setup with a static IP address when you're doing these setups? Can you ping any IP addresses out on the internet when PPPoE shows connected? Try 4.2.2.2

If it doesn't ping what error message do you get back? (Do this test from a windows command prompt so you can paste the error code back to us)

There is a chance it may never work but here's another site that mentions your router: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1608943 See if you have that setting and change it after doing the above tests. Try again and see if that makes things work if it wasn't set on before.

ok, well I tried the latter suggestion first; when I went to change the setting on the Netgear for "Enable PPPoE Relay", it told me that I needed to set my encapsulation setting to PPPoE (it's PPPoA normally, and the ISP specified that it should be PPPoA). When I changed it to PPPoE, it said it had connected and gave an IP address, but I was unable to connect to anything on the internet - basically the same behaviour as when I tried to use PPPoE on the Asus router.

So, it seems likely to me that this is the problem; I need to be able to access PPPoA on my Asus router. Is this possible, and is it dependent on the hardware or the firmware? I don't think Tomato allows PPPoA (at least I can't see any options for it), but can I get it to work through DD-WRT or similar?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jimlad posted:

So, it seems likely to me that this is the problem; I need to be able to access PPPoA on my Asus router. Is this possible, and is it dependent on the hardware or the firmware? I don't think Tomato allows PPPoA (at least I can't see any options for it), but can I get it to work through DD-WRT or similar?

Sorry, you're out of luck. The PPP is being routed over an ATM interface provided by the DSL circuit. DD-WRT won't know how to talk to that, same with Tomato. You've done everything you can, go setup the netgear as a regular router, plug yours in behind it and accept double-nat as a fact of life with that setup. Bummer.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CuddleChunks posted:

Sorry, you're out of luck. The PPP is being routed over an ATM interface provided by the DSL circuit. DD-WRT won't know how to talk to that, same with Tomato. You've done everything you can, go setup the netgear as a regular router, plug yours in behind it and accept double-nat as a fact of life with that setup. Bummer.

Double NAT isn't the end of the world and it should function reliably.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Devian666 posted:

Double NAT isn't the end of the world and it should function reliably.

My entire village was decimated by a plague of NAT.

I grew up an orphan because of misconfigured PAT rules.

Don't you dare talk to me about what is a minor inconvenience to everyone else. YOU HAVE NO IDEA!
:stare:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

That new Soekris device came out. Looks pretty slick. I'm tempted to get one since I've been lazy about getting my OpenBSD box set up as a router but I know the Soekris one will probably end up the same way: unfinished. :/

http://soekris.com/products/net6501.html

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I'm having a big problem with my LAN. I can download off the internet at around 1.5 megabytes per second sustained easily on any of my computers, but when I try to transfer a file from one computer to another on the same wired lan, I'm lucky if I can break 400 kilobytes a second. Any ideas?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a goon unloading a Mikrotik RB1000 over in SA-Mart for pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
My WRT54GS that has been chugging along nicely for about 8 years is finally starting to die, so I have been out of the wireless router game for a bit. I can't connect to the wireless anymore. I am tempted to update to a newer version of Tomato to see if that fixes it, but I have doubts about that.

I'm tempted to upgrade to a newer router. I have a 24 port gigabit switch that takes care of my network so I don't really need that in a router. It might be nice to get something with dual band, but I am not sure of the need as most of the wireless devices are too slow to take advantage of that.

Should I just get a new WRT54GS or WRT54GL or get a fancy pants one?