Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God this patch is the biggest loving cocktease, just push it out or something!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hatter106 posted:

This is the spot I'm talking about (sorry for the blurriness)

I'll try backtracking and looking for a spot to drop down, but it's hard because the terrain blocks sight of the item everywhere else :(

You can jump from there but it's incredibly deceptive. You would think that you can't but basically, go against the wall and jump at the spot where the ledge sticks up. You'll fly right up over the ledge and on to the platform with the item.

It took me a couple playthroughs to figure out how to get up there and I only did it because someone marked that spot with a "try jumping!" message. I gave them a +1 for it.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Healbot posted:

Gonna check if Sanctus regeneration increases with upgrades.

Edit: Nope, no increase like with the Adjudicator's Shield in Demon's Souls.

It's also a 2hp tick every 2 seconds.

drat, i guess I didn't look that close. 1hp a second that is really bad. Well it will still help me invade with the mimic hat since I don't have a lot of HP to begin with at SL1.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I wonder where waspinator is? I'm surprise he hasn't been streaming today. (lately)

So after the patch is the Crystal Ring Shield worth getting at this point?

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Hatter106 posted:

This is the spot I'm talking about (sorry for the blurriness)

I'll try backtracking and looking for a spot to drop down, but it's hard because the terrain blocks sight of the item everywhere else :(

Run and jump, if you position right you can jump and your feet will sorta hit the slope to your right and you will land up there. Be prepared for a fight though, there are 5 or 6 centipede skeleton things up there.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Zain posted:

I wonder where waspinator is? I'm surprise he hasn't been streaming today. (lately)

Crystal Ring Shield will be a novelty item for achievement hunters come 1.04, just like the butterfly spear is right now.
I recommend consuming the Moonlight Butterfly soul instead.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Heavy neutrino posted:

Do you have some sort of vendetta against summoning or something? There's a reason they make Solaire available for that fight: the first phase becomes simple after Solaire grabs the attention of one of them.

If you're worried about losing half your precious souls, don't be; Solaire almost never lives through the second phase from what I've noticed.

Yeah, that's my experience. Solaire is very good at grabbing aggro from one of the two, so you really only have to dodge one of them. He's usually at very low health when round two starts and dies right away.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Seemenaked posted:

Run and jump, if you position right you can jump and your feet will sorta hit the slope to your right and you will land up there. Be prepared for a fight though, there are 5 or 6 centipede skeleton things up there.

You're supposed to make a far easier jump from one floor above to get there. If you start from the bonfire, you go up one floor and the spot you jump from is right next to a skeleton dog and a skeleton archer. You should be able to look down and see a spot to land from where you can just walk to that treasure.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zain posted:

I still stream all the time, I just haven't been posting my link here since some people didn't wanna see it.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

waspinator posted:

I still stream all the time, I just haven't been posting my link here since some people didn't wanna see it.

Thats a shame, I like knowing when you are streaming. It's pretty entertaining. I try checking on my own but I always seem to do so right after you are done.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

waspinator posted:

One person whined, let us know when you're streaming.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Healbot posted:

Crystal Ring Shield will be a novelty item for achievement hunters come 1.04, just like the butterfly spear is right now.
I recommend consuming the Moonlight Butterfly soul instead.

As someone who, foolishly (accidentally) did this, you only get 1200 souls for it. Even if it's the first (edit: proper (tutorial + Taurus Demon don't count; too easy/basic)) boss you kill, 1200 souls is completely worthless at that stage (even if you're going for a SL 1 Pyro build).

I find it hilarious how Gaping Dragon gives more than 8 times the amount of souls that Capra Demon/Gargoyles give. In NG+, it's even more hilarious: 75k souls versus 8k or so. And it only gets better.

Sure, by SL 100, it costs 50-60k per level, but every boss beyond, and including, Gaping Dragon, offers enough for at least one level. And by NG+, it doesn't even matter for anything but SL, since one boss will be enough to purchase more (large/white) titanite than you'll ever need.

I am sad about the Crystal Ring Shield though; that poo poo was hilarious.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 5, 2011

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
The damnedest thing happened today. So here I am a few nights ago, bored on the internet, and I stumble upon this thread. I tell myself I'll just look a little, see what this is like, to be sure if I want to get it around Christmas or something.

Now, here I am, about two or three days later, staring at a screen telling me that the little fire in the top right means that the game is autosaving.

I still don't think I'll regret this decision.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Locomotive breath posted:

The damnedest thing happened today. So here I am a few nights ago, bored on the internet, and I stumble upon this thread. I tell myself I'll just look a little, see what this is like, to be sure if I want to get it around Christmas or something.

Now, here I am, about two or three days later, staring at a screen telling me that the little fire in the top right means that the game is autosaving.

I still don't think I'll regret this decision.

This will change by morning, you will make a post saying how badly you want to take the game back to the store, someone will convince you to take a break and come back to it the next day, you'll give it another go and make some more progress, and so begins the love-hate relationship.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

lohli posted:

This will change by morning, you will make a post saying how badly you want to take the game back to the store, someone will convince you to take a break and come back to it the next day, you'll give it another go and make some more progress, and so begins the love-hate relationship.

This is completely true.

Once you complete the game, however, you'll prefer harder games, and everything will take on a new dimension.

...That's my story anyway; it's a good life.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Just got killed by magic missiles after invading a guilty player. After she killed me, the player ran over, and I thought she was going to bow in spite like the rest of them. Then she took out a channeler's trident and did the goofy-rear end dance on my grave. Best death ever. :3: If this was one of you, thanks. It really cheered me up after a long string of disappointing defeats.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

DarkArchimedes posted:

Either way, that does sort of speak to design flaws overall. While I love this game, I think its boss designs are much lazier than they were in the first one, and often heavily depend on putting the player at a ranged disadvantage rather than requiring good dodging and rolling.

Ornstein and Smough isn't really a good fight. It's just two separate fights rolled into one and made harder because of how erratic that makes things. I suppose you could argue that it forces adaptability, but it also creates situations like once when I was instantly stunlocked and killed due to Ornstein's dash attack followed by Smough attack ad nauseum.

So many boss fights in Dark Souls seem to focus on giving the enemy a significantly longer reach than the player, and then some sort of AoE for when the player gets inside that reach. I feel like I had to think more to get through Demon's Souls bosses, and I say this having just gone back and played through it again after my third Dark Souls run.
I don't really see how O&S are all that different from Penetrator, who also tried his damndest to chase you down, and there was only one of him and you had Biorr.

You seem to fundamentally not know how the O&S arena layout is designed to work in your favor. Not once have you mentioned the columns which very clearly are designed to stop Smough's charges and that you can use Smough himself as a barrier to Ornstein's dashes by keeping Smough between the two of you. The first stage of the fight is designed to put way too much pressure on you, then gives you a variety of ways to manage the pressure: Solaire to taunt one, running away from Smough so Ornstein doesn't have his support, zoning Ornstein out by circling around Smough, using the columns to block Smough's charge or Ornstein's lightning.

This trick was used once before, with the Maneaters and the central firepit that was used to block their otherwise extremely potent attacks.

The second stage of the fight is just a regular boss battle, which is not that hard. Just different depending on who dies last.

You're also focusing too much on the things that bosses can do to you at range, which in my mind is better than many of them doing nothing at all and leads to ridiculous bullshit like being able to trap and snipe Flamelurker in the ribcage or poisoning the Maneaters. I found that if I was aggressive in melee with many bosses (Sif, Four Kings, Gwyn, Gwyndolin, Pinwheel, Priscilla, Gargoyles to some extent), I managed just fine and most never used their punishing ranged attacks because they were too close to me for their AI scripts to trigger them. However, I've also beaten these bosses with sorcery. There are only a few bosses that are that punishing to a melee fighter (Nito is harder if you don't kite him, O&S as mentioned, Stray/Firesage if you aren't lucky). I feel that Dark Souls is way more fair to melee fighters and removes a lot of the cheesy ranged tricks that could trivialize a fair number of bosses in Demon's Souls by giving bosses their own ranged moves that you actually have to contend with.

What can Tower Knight do if you're up on the parapets? Throw his spear? It won't hit you and the damage from the impact won't do anything to you. With Iron Golem the only way to trick his ranged shockwave is to keep the central rubble pile between you and him. And there's lots of places to fall off/be thrown off.

Besides, the worst boss design in the game is clearly not O&S, but Stray/Firesage Demon. This is just a fact.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

IconicIronic posted:

This is completely true.

Once you complete the game, however, you'll prefer harder games, and everything will take on a new dimension.

...That's my story anyway; it's a good life.

As someone who has fallen victim to the boiling frog scenario (slowly boil a frog, he won't notice till it's too late) with video game difficulty, I'll second this from a different perspective. I grew up with my dad's Atari and the NES and vague DOS games that were often aimless.

Now, there are a lot of flaws in those games that I recognize, and that many of them had artificial difficulty. However, I play through a massive number of games in my free time, and that amount of intake has dulled the satisfaction of completion. I still like seeing the stories and building my characters up to powerhouses, but both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls made me remember why overcoming difficult challenges was fun. Sure, there's a dent in my ottoman from where I kicked it after god knows how many Smough and Ornstein deaths, but coming out the other end of that kind of difficulty reminds you that yes, you can do it, and the next time you do it will be easier.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Any tips on how to kill the god dammed Hydra in the Ash Lake? What kind of damage to those water bursts do? I can't block em for the life of me, and I can't get to a good place to melee the thing.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

DarkArchimedes posted:

As someone who has fallen victim to the boiling frog scenario (slowly boil a frog, he won't notice till it's too late) with video game difficulty, I'll second this from a different perspective. I grew up with my dad's Atari and the NES and vague DOS games that were often aimless.

Now, there are a lot of flaws in those games that I recognize, and that many of them had artificial difficulty. However, I play through a massive number of games in my free time, and that amount of intake has dulled the satisfaction of completion. I still like seeing the stories and building my characters up to powerhouses, but both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls made me remember why overcoming difficult challenges was fun. Sure, there's a dent in my ottoman from where I kicked it after god knows how many Smough and Ornstein deaths, but coming out the other end of that kind of difficulty reminds you that yes, you can do it, and the next time you do it will be easier.

We aren't so different. I started playing games in the NES era; SMB3 was the only game I had for 2-3 years, and that was hard for a month, then really easy. Then I play it on Gameboy Advance 15 years later, and it's hard as gently caress after the first 3 worlds. When you're older, you're better equipped for games that require patience and timing, but don't write off your young experiences. You simply replace patience with insane determination to surpass the god-drat awesome bastard/cunting thing in your life. School games would always be fun, but nothing challenged you so much as that one game/level. Plus, if you played with a friend, it meant you could gloat over them for a week or so.

O+S was the hardest thing I've fought since that first Mine level (edit: no wait, that robot boss in DKC3) in DKC. Has a strategy, but holy gently caress does that strategy suck sometimes. Week-long gloating was so worth it.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 5, 2011

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rough Lobster posted:

Any tips on how to kill the god dammed Hydra in the Ash Lake? What kind of damage to those water bursts do? I can't block em for the life of me, and I can't get to a good place to melee the thing.
You're much safer close to the Hydra; the head slams seem incredibly dangerous but they're actually super weak and easy to block. Stand in some shallow water near the hydra, block, and then attack the nearest head when it does its head slam. You should be fine after that.

If you angle the camera down, you'll be able to see where the waterline drops off. You're safe wading in a ways.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

doomfunk posted:

The problem is everyone and their mother seems to have found the Drake Sword. If it were not so easily obtainable, Raw weapons would have a decent draw until you can break to +11 and beyond.

Aren't they nerfing the drake in the patch? It beats everything until you can start making lightning/fire equipment.

Even magic equipment you can get before ringing the second bell might deal a higher total damage but enemies in the game have a higher resistance to magic than physical, in what I assume is an overeaction to magic weapons being level-clearers in demon souls.

In my opinion the drakesword should either have its damage nerfed to 150 and then gain 30 atk. per dragon scale, or require higher Str. and Dex., like 20/16.

vvvThe patch notes say they're changing around monster resistances, so some monsters might be weaker to magic, meaning faith/magic swords might top the drake sword before the second bell.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 5, 2011

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah, I think the drake sword is staying the same.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
I found he dies the exact same way as his friend in Darkroot Basin. The strategy is exactly the same: zig zag towards him and get as close to him as you can ASAP. When you're at the water's edge, just block the hydra's head melee attack and attack back when they're stuck in the ground.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

DarkArchimedes posted:

I feel that way too. But overall I think Dark Souls was a pretty big let down compared to Demon's Souls. The first half of Dark was great. The last half was way to easy and the boss fights just weren't as interesting.

I love the massive world of Dark and really like a lot of the game. But I didn't really feel challenged past O and S and Sen's Fortress really felt like the last interesting zone. Don't get me wrong, Anor Lando is a gorgeous zone. But from a difficulty perspective it just didn't do it for me.

tl:dr Demon's Souls is a harder game imo and if you haven't played it and are itching for another difficult game you may want to check it out.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Nakar posted:

You're much safer close to the Hydra; the head slams seem incredibly dangerous but they're actually super weak and easy to block. Stand in some shallow water near the hydra, block, and then attack the nearest head when it does its head slam. You should be fine after that.

If you angle the camera down, you'll be able to see where the waterline drops off. You're safe wading in a ways.

Stay close, yes. After a few failings though, you can quite easily work out the timing on its water bursts. Or even, listen to it: as soon as you hear a sort-of water-spurt sound, dodge (maybe a second after the sound). Once you get it down, you'll never be touched by the Hydra again. Incidentally, the Basin Hydra works the same way, except it's always facing you. The Ash-Lake Hydra's sound does give you enough time to spin and block, but you're probably better off running and dodging, as blocking will still take a chunk of HP off.

VVVV
As long as you have a 100% shield, and 20 or so stamina, the Ash-Lake Hydra head hits will literally hit as much as the Basin one; each combo will kill each head just as quickly too. No idea about multiple heads hitting though, as that never happened to me in both encounters.

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 5, 2011

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Multiple head hits can still break your guard and gently caress you up, I've found that if you move back and to the left a bit after you hear the "I'm gonna try to bite you!" roar you generally end up in a sweet spot where you will take little to no hits.

rivera82falcon
Oct 30, 2007
Sine yo piddy on the runny kine!
Loving this game so far and I love dying all the time.......

I'm at Anor Londo exterier and I can't seem to get past the Great Knight Silver Bow Archers. I'm currently a warrior at SL 45 using the Drake +1 Sword and I can't get past him. Any tips on getting past the two archers and into the castle?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

tl:dr Demon's Souls is a harder game imo and if you haven't played it and are itching for another difficult game you may want to check it out.

I feel that dark souls is way, way harder and has far less "easy way outs" such as magic and moongrass farming.

The only part of demon souls I can think was more difficult was the Fire demon, but that's because the fight was total bullshit. "Lol I get random invulnerability frames half the time and I can chain attack you to death if I get one hit on you." That's not "more difficult", that's "more bullshit."

EDIT: It was also incredibly easy to farm for souls in Demon Souls early in the game, whereas in Dark Souls the earliest thing you can do is get 20,000 souls (practically impossible to hold onto that many when early bosses are only giving you 1500 at the most) and then pray the hostile NPCs won't one hit you while you're trying to cheese them.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 5, 2011

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Nakar posted:

I don't really see how O&S are all that different from Penetrator, who also tried his damndest to chase you down, and there was only one of him and you had Biorr.

You seem to fundamentally not know how the O&S arena layout is designed to work in your favor. Not once have you mentioned the columns which very clearly are designed to stop Smough's charges and that you can use Smough himself as a barrier to Ornstein's dashes by keeping Smough between the two of you. The first stage of the fight is designed to put way too much pressure on you, then gives you a variety of ways to manage the pressure: Solaire to taunt one, running away from Smough so Ornstein doesn't have his support, zoning Ornstein out by circling around Smough, using the columns to block Smough's charge or Ornstein's lightning.

This trick was used once before, with the Maneaters and the central firepit that was used to block their otherwise extremely potent attacks.

The second stage of the fight is just a regular boss battle, which is not that hard. Just different depending on who dies last.

You're also focusing too much on the things that bosses can do to you at range, which in my mind is better than many of them doing nothing at all and leads to ridiculous bullshit like being able to trap and snipe Flamelurker in the ribcage or poisoning the Maneaters. I found that if I was aggressive in melee with many bosses (Sif, Four Kings, Gwyn, Gwyndolin, Pinwheel, Priscilla, Gargoyles to some extent), I managed just fine and most never used their punishing ranged attacks because they were too close to me for their AI scripts to trigger them. However, I've also beaten these bosses with sorcery. There are only a few bosses that are that punishing to a melee fighter (Nito is harder if you don't kite him, O&S as mentioned, Stray/Firesage if you aren't lucky). I feel that Dark Souls is way more fair to melee fighters and removes a lot of the cheesy ranged tricks that could trivialize a fair number of bosses in Demon's Souls by giving bosses their own ranged moves that you actually have to contend with.

What can Tower Knight do if you're up on the parapets? Throw his spear? It won't hit you and the damage from the impact won't do anything to you. With Iron Golem the only way to trick his ranged shockwave is to keep the central rubble pile between you and him. And there's lots of places to fall off/be thrown off.

Besides, the worst boss design in the game is clearly not O&S, but Stray/Firesage Demon. This is just a fact.

Firstly, I respect where you're coming from, but I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I've dropped about 130 hours into Dark Souls at this point, gotten the platinum trophy, dicked with multiple different builds, etc. What I focus on is where I personally feel the game has design problems. If you disagree with me, that's cool, but please don't phrase this stuff like I'm some ignorant kid who doesn't know what I'm missing. It's insulting.

I actually find the fact that you can run up and face smash so many bosses to be bad design, and find that it only serves to highlight the dependency on punishing ranged damage . It's much less rewarding to realize I can just stand under Sif and stab him with near impunity, or that all I really need to do with Priscilla is look at her feet and not stand in front of her while I start slashing away. I've never even seen anything Pinwheel does aside from cloning itself because he always dies so fast.

As for S&O, using the pillars is great if their pathing cooperates. What I've seen more often than not is Smough running his fat rear end into a pillar with Ornstein either stuck behind him, or sandwiched between the two. If you've had a different experience, that's fine, but between myself and my room mate, the pillars have been relatively useless, and the fight was more about dodging whichever one wandered off camera while we were getting hits.

Basically, what it comes down to is I rarely had to think as hard about my approach with any of the Dark Souls bosses as I did the Demon's Souls bosses. Like you said, the game is very forgiving within the melee range, which made it incredibly easy to run inside and hack. The dependency on long reaching attacks also makes it easy to pop something like Homing Soulmass and run in between hits and obliterate a boss without getting touched.

But like I said, this is all my opinion. I still love Dark Souls, and I still think that Demon's Souls is a better thought out game.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

rockem posted:

Nice little touch how the merchants get all bummed if you just take off without properly saying bye. The NPC's in the game are just cool in general.

Andrei in particular. Leave the area before he's said his goodbye and he'll give you a little lecture when you talk to him again. :3:

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

rivera82falcon posted:

I'm at Anor Londo exterier and I can't seem to get past the Great Knight Silver Bow Archers. I'm currently a warrior at SL 45 using the Drake +1 Sword and I can't get past him. Any tips on getting past the two archers and into the castle?

Head up to the first pillar and wait behind it until they both stop firing. When it's clear, haul rear end up the un-railed path and beeline for the Silver Knight on the right. You'll be out of the line of fire from the left knight once you reach the ledge, so work on rolling (or blocking if you think you can handle it in a way that won't get you killed) past the shots and closing to melee range with the knight. After that, just kill him or knock him off the ledge.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

rivera82falcon posted:

Just rush the one on the right. There's a little corner bit next to him where neither of the archers can hit you. Sit there until the rightmost knight pulls out his sword. Then just get in his face with your shield. Lock on and try to push yourself past him. Eventually he'll fall off and you can make it to the bonfire.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I feel that dark souls is way, way harder and has far less "easy way outs" such as magic and moongrass farming.

The only part of demon souls I can think was more difficult was the Fire demon, but that's because the fight was total bullshit. "Lol I get random invulnerability frames half the time and I can chain attack you to death if I get one hit on you."

To be fair though, you can combust the first gargoyle long before the second joins the fray.

However, while Pyromancy can cheese some bosses, you ultimately need to go half and half for most bosses. Queelag is literally immune to fire spells, as is Ceaseless Discharge, and due to the short range, you still have to dodge enemy attacks to damage them safely.

Definitely the first game I've come across in recent years that perfectly melded magic and melee. Neither gets you far without some form of combination (that includes Miracles).

IconicIronic fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 5, 2011

rivera82falcon
Oct 30, 2007

dexplosivo posted:

Head up to the first pillar and wait behind it until they both stop firing. When it's clear, haul rear end up the un-railed path and beeline for the Silver Knight on the right. You'll be out of the line of fire from the left knight once you reach the ledge, so work on rolling (or blocking if you think you can handle it in a way that won't get you killed) past the shots and closing to melee range with the knight. After that, just kill him or knock him off the ledge.

Vargs posted:

Just rush the one on the right. There's a little corner bit next to him where neither of the archers can hit you. Sit there until the rightmost knight pulls out his sword. Then just get in his face with your shield. Lock on and try to push yourself past him. Eventually he'll fall off and you can make it to the bonfire.

Thanks! I keep getting killed by that knight and I'm just tired of dying too much. I'll give it another run tomorrow.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

anyone have the patch notes for the new patch? I know it's been held up, but I'm curious what it actually changes. I looked back a few pages but I didn't find anything.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

rivera82falcon posted:

You should really be using a better weapon at this point in the game. Did you pick up the lightning spear in Sen's or a make a fire weapon in the Catacombs?

That said, beating the archers really isn't that hard. Just sprint up the buttress as fast as you can while blocking with the shield. Then once you hit the ledge, go after the one on the right, sprint, shield up, and most importantly stay as straight s possible Don't angle yourself to run into the wall, it might feel safer, but it also means if you get hit you are more likely to be knocked off the ledge as opposed to simply knocked straight back.

Once you have closed distance it should be easy, wait for the knight to switch to his sword and then get right up in his face with your shield. He should swing a few times and knock himself off the ledge from the recoil of his swings.

Then you can deal with the one on the left who should be piss easy on his own.

E. God drat it.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The only part of demon souls I can think was more difficult was the Fire demon, but that's because the fight was total bullshit. "Lol I get random invulnerability frames half the time and I can chain attack you to death if I get one hit on you." That's not "more difficult", that's "more bullshit."

Iron Flesh trivializes most of Dark Souls.

Nito, Seath, and Four Kings where all retardedly easy. I literally spammed R1 to kill the first two and did the same with Four Kings but with Iron Flesh going. I guess Nito has some kinda toxin and apparently Seath can curse you but neither of these seemed to play a part in the fights. In fact, Nitos AoE I thought was nice because it would wipe out or at least knock down all his skeletons.

The only one of the four lords that was remotely hard was Bed of Chaos and that was only because of the learning curve on the fight.

Sadly I think Moonlight Butterfly is the most interesting boss fight in the whole game followed by Qualleg and Gaping Dragon (which are the only fights that require some dodging and pattern recognition). Everything else felt pretty trivial.

rivera82falcon
Oct 30, 2007

Kuno posted:

You should really be using a better weapon at this point in the game. Did you pick up the lightning spear in Sen's or a make a fire weapon in the Catacombs?

That said, beating the archers really isn't that hard. Just sprint up the buttress as fast as you can while blocking with the shield. Then once you hit the ledge, go after the one on the right, sprint, shield up, and most importantly stay as straight s possible Don't angle yourself to run into the wall, it might feel safer, but it also means if you get hit you are more likely to be knocked off the ledge as opposed to simply knocked straight back.

Once you have closed distance it should be easy, wait for the knight to switch to his sword and then get right up in his face with your shield. He should swing a few times and knock himself off the ledge from the recoil of his swings.

Then you can deal with the one on the left who should be piss easy on his own.

E. God drat it.

I did pick up the lightning spear. As far as making weapons...haven't done that as I don't know where the catacombs is and didn't realize it can be done soon. I'm a noob at this game but i'm loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Can someone explain how to do the dragon head souls dupe thing? That video of the guy toying around with the greatbow makes me really want to buy a fuckton of arrows for it and upgrade it. I'm on the 360.

• Locked thread