Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can someone please post this in the OP, it gets asked every 10 pages or so.

DrDork posted:

Having an EyeFinity card, I can tell you that it does exist, but it only exists because whoever is in charge of ATI's drivers division is a poo poo-head who can't figure out basic stuff or incorporate fixes the community has been discussing for months. The screen-tearing you're talking about only happens when the card is in its power-saving 2D mode, when it down-clocks itself to absurdly low speeds (because hey, a 6990 just doesn't need to work that hard to push a desktop). Unfortunately, said downclock is simply too low to provide for the correct operation of a three-monitor setup. The fix for that is simply creating a power profile and editing the resulting text file so that instead of downclocking to 157Mhz, it bottoms out at 200Mhz or whatever turns out to work for you. For me and my 5850, a memory clock of 900Mhz and core of 200Mhz works well to prevent tearing.

The tearing is absent whenever it's clocked up and running, like during games and such.

Thanks for clearing this up! This shearing phenomenon with ATI card's occurred to me back in 2008 when I just had my dual screen 24" 2x DVI. Warhammer online :laffo: gave me a crash to desktop each time I went to a battleground because the graphics card was bipolar about being in power saving or power churning mode. Can't believe it's 2011 and ATI is still allow this same lovely problem to exist: but with 3 monitors :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

DrDork posted:

Sadly, there aren't any 24" or larger 120Hz displays under $500 that I know of which also have a composite connector. It's just such old tech, really. It's also not cheap to convert from it into DVI/HDMI/anything else. What systems were you using, anyhow?

Well for the older systems, NES, SNES, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis, N64.

Newer ones PS3 and 360.

But even using the 360 and PS3 won't output 120hz right?

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I'm looking at these two monitors currently as I don't want to spend more than ~$130.

HANNspree 21.5" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824262011

Asus 21.5" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051

Will the 2ms refresh rate on the Asus be noticeable compared to the 5ms on the HANNspree? Aside from that and one having HDMI they seem to be pretty much the same to me.

I'm also considering this for a 23" option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009266

Does 1080p look noticeably worse as monitors get larger? I'm currently using a 24" iMac monitor at 1920x1200 so I'm used to a very sharp, high resolution. Although when I'm gaming (such as BF3) I have to turn down the resolution to sub-1080 levels so I don't think it'll be that much of an issue.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Stump Truck posted:

I'm looking at these two monitors currently as I don't want to spend more than ~$130.

HANNspree 21.5" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824262011

Asus 21.5" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051

Will the 2ms refresh rate on the Asus be noticeable compared to the 5ms on the HANNspree? Aside from that and one having HDMI they seem to be pretty much the same to me.

I'm also considering this for a 23" option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009266

Does 1080p look noticeably worse as monitors get larger? I'm currently using a 24" iMac monitor at 1920x1200 so I'm used to a very sharp, high resolution. Although when I'm gaming (such as BF3) I have to turn down the resolution to sub-1080 levels so I don't think it'll be that much of an issue.

the pixel pitch of a 23.5 1080p monitor is almost exactly the same as a 24" 1920x1200 monitor.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

How is it that the Asus VS229H-P is an IPS LED backlit monitor and it's priced the same as their TN monitors? I'm trying to see what's "wrong" with it, because if nothing, I'm set to pull the trigger on it.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Sasquatch! posted:

How is it that the Asus VS229H-P is an IPS LED backlit monitor and it's priced the same as their TN monitors? I'm trying to see what's "wrong" with it, because if nothing, I'm set to pull the trigger on it.

Poor quality IPS probably and 14ms response time. This is basically dell IPS technology from 5 years ago.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Newer ones PS3 and 360.

Yeah, that's pretty hard to get all working. There aren't too many monitors to begin with that would have all the ports you'd want, and less still that are good for gaming and fit your budget. In fact, on NewEgg, the only thing I could find was the SAMSUNG T24A350. Anything more expensive than that, and you might as well go with a U2410 (which is $499 right now). In any event, you're pretty much going to have to decide between 120Hz and Composite input.

To answer your other question, no, the PS3/XBox/etc will not put out a 120Hz signal.

Stump Truck posted:

1920x1080 at 24" or smaller is fine; 24" is really the max for that resolution. Higher than that is where you start seeing noticeable degradation.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Newer ones PS3 and 360.

PS3 and 360 won't be 120hz, and to be honest they're almost always 720p scaled up.

Dreamcast can and should be used with the VGA adapter to achieve 640x480 progressive. Anything less is not good enough. It was one of the main advantages over the PlayStation2 - almost all games on the PS2 were rendered interlaced, whereas the Dreamcast did more work and rendered them in full 480p, so they still look crisp today (as long as you have a VGA box!)

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

DrDork posted:

Yeah, that's pretty hard to get all working. There aren't too many monitors to begin with that would have all the ports you'd want, and less still that are good for gaming and fit your budget. In fact, on NewEgg, the only thing I could find was the SAMSUNG T24A350. Anything more expensive than that, and you might as well go with a U2410 (which is $499 right now). In any event, you're pretty much going to have to decide between 120Hz and Composite input.

To answer your other question, no, the PS3/XBox/etc will not put out a 120Hz signal.

Funny you mention that Samsung T24A350, I actually just purchased a T22A350 at Sam's Club, and it has the connections for composite. It's a really nice monitor, which I think will have to suffice at the moment.

Thanks anyway for your help.

HalloKitty posted:

PS3 and 360 won't be 120hz, and to be honest they're almost always 720p scaled up.

Dreamcast can and should be used with the VGA adapter to achieve 640x480 progressive. Anything less is not good enough. It was one of the main advantages over the PlayStation2 - almost all games on the PS2 were rendered interlaced, whereas the Dreamcast did more work and rendered them in full 480p, so they still look crisp today (as long as you have a VGA box!)
Until the next generation of consoles outputs 120hz kind of pointless getting a 120hz monitor, I'll have to wait on it with my new PC build. Yeah I figured the 360 and PS3 don't output native 1080p.

I totally forgot about the VGA adapter for the Dreamcast, I will definietly set that up once I purcahse one. Thanks for the tip.

Wait, VGA box? So I couldn't use an VGA adapter and plug that into a monitor that has a VGA input?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, sorry, I just mean the adapter that goes from the Dreamcast port to VGA. Then you can use a normal VGA cable and plug it into any VGA monitor.

Probably won't be able to find an official one, but there are plenty of new ones floating around.

There's the slight chance you'll have a game that doesn't work with the VGA adapter, but it's not common. Most do render in 480p.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 4, 2011

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Oh ok, saw a few on ebay. I'll see if my local game store carries it.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

MeruFM posted:

(re: Asus VS229H-P)
Poor quality IPS probably and 14ms response time. This is basically dell IPS technology from 5 years ago.
Interesting and good to know, thanks.

If that's the case, I'll probably end up with the ASUS VH242H. I don't mind the limited viewing angle of a TN, and I need HDMI which oddly narrows my choices down. That monitor has a 5-egg rating (after 1677 reviews!), so I'll take that as a good sign.

CrackaG
May 31, 2006
Genius?
Anyone here own this 27" Planar Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016155 ?

If so, how does it compare to other similar monitors, and how does it compare to ASUS LED style monitors?

The Planar is on sale for 230 bucks and I'm considering jumping on it, but I'm not sure if it is as nice as an ASUS 24 or 27".

I sit slightly over 2' away from my monitor, is 27" too big to be in front of me? Should I be getting a 24" instead? What is the best indicator of this?

Thanks Goons!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anybody have any experience with getting NewEgg to eat RMA shipping charges? I just got an Asus VH236H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059), but they managed to ship me one that had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. Apparently they want more than the discount they gave me to ship it back (28 bucks shipping charge, good god)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anybody have any experience with getting NewEgg to eat RMA shipping charges? I just got an Asus VH236H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059), but they managed to ship me one that had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. Apparently they want more than the discount they gave me to ship it back (28 bucks shipping charge, good god)
The best you can do is ask nicely. If they turn you down...you can call again and hope you get someone else who is more favorable to your situation. Unfortunately, NewEgg itself (like Amazon) has a pretty lovely dead/bright pixel policy, and you need to get a pretty hosed up monitor to be able to qualify for a free replacement. Considering you're outside their warranty, I doubt you'll get them to entirely cover return shipping, though.

Alternately, you can try calling ASUS and see if they'd be willing to help you out. Their stated return policy would require 6 dead pixels or 4 bright/stuck pixels to qualify, but you might get lucky. In either case, you're technically outside their required coverage, so anything you got would be them doing you a favor. You may just end up having to live with it or eat the shipping :(

This here, folks, is one of the reasons people pay extra cash for the Ultrasharp and similar lineups with zero-defect guarantees.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Edit: nvm

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 5, 2011

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Is 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 going to look like poo poo on a 27" display? I can't afford a 2560x1440 27", should I go with a 24" 1920?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

fatman1683 posted:

Is 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 going to look like poo poo on a 27" display? I can't afford a 2560x1440 27", should I go with a 24" 1920?

Yeah, they'll look like rear end. For 1920x1080 or 1200, the largest you'd want is 24"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fatman1683 posted:

Yep, as unpronounceable said, the DPI really drops off once you hit 27" and start going up. At that point, you're essentially in the TV market.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Alright thanks, so it looks like it's down to these two then:

Dell U2412M

or

HP LA2405wg

What's the over/under on LED backlights and response times these days? Is either of these monitors objectively better than the other? Or is there a third option anyone recommends?

edit: If it helps, my primary use is gaming, I don't do any kind of graphic design or anything, but I would like 1920x1200.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 5, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fatman1683 posted:

Alright thanks, so it looks like it's down to these two then:

Dell U2412M

or

HP LA2405wg

What's the over/under on LED backlights and response times these days? Is either of these monitors objectively better than the other? Or is there a third option anyone recommends?

edit: If it helps, my primary use is gaming, I don't do any kind of graphic design or anything, but I would like 1920x1200.

LED backlights are nice; they (sometimes) consume less power, but you generally don't have to worry about the backlight making GBS threads itself. Since you're not doing photowork, its effects on color gamut don't apply to you either. Only possible "issue" I could see with LED monitors is that if you ever do a multi-monitor setup, you will want to match it with other LED backlit monitors.

I'm partial to the Dell U2412M myself, and you'll get Dell's excellent customer-support and premium panel guarantee with the U2412M; just check out the OP posts, I've linked a few stories from goons in this thread about Dell service.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, sorry, I just mean the adapter that goes from the Dreamcast port to VGA. Then you can use a normal VGA cable and plug it into any VGA monitor.

Most of those on the list are switchable to do composite/s-video out as well for the few games that don't work with VGA.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Most of those on the list are switchable to do composite/s-video out as well for the few games that don't work with VGA.

I've got a cheap 3rd-party box that offers up Dreamcast AV in the forms of VGA, S-Video, Composite, RCA audio jacks, and even a 3.5mm audio jack for me to plug into my PC speakers. I'll still occasionally toss in Skies of Arcadia and play through it in glorious 640x480 progressive.

Dreamcast owns, rip Dreamcast :smith:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'm not sure where to put this but I don't want to make a new thread. I know a while ago, back when CRTs were the craze, there were those lamps that you could put on top of your CRT that would reflect some light downwards and avoid glare and stuff. Is there anything like that for modern day LCDs?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

kimcicle posted:

I'm not sure where to put this but I don't want to make a new thread. I know a while ago, back when CRTs were the craze, there were those lamps that you could put on top of your CRT that would reflect some light downwards and avoid glare and stuff. Is there anything like that for modern day LCDs?

I'm not precisely sure what you mean - I've never seen one of those. But assuming the basic problem is reducing glare and eyestrain, well... It's hard to do that with LCDs the same way you would with CRTs because the screen works differently. I guess you can put a filter (like 3M sells) on the monitor. You can also stick LEDs to the back of the screen (or just turn on a lamp nearby but out of the way) to increase ambient light in your workspace, which reduces eyestrain and increases the apparent contrast of the screen itself.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

This might be more suitable for the Windows thread or the 'obscure apps' thread, but are there any interesting yet non-obvious tricks about dual-monitoring, in addition to using stuff like UltraMon to handle the taskbar and other GUI elements?

The holy grail would be the ability to toggle cursor locking during full-screen games and be able to quickly answer Skype or whatnot on the second monitor even if the full-screen program refuses to minimise gracefully, but my Googling suggests this sadly just isn't possible.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Workaround: get skype on your smartphone so you can answer skype while gaming.

Also, if you can 'fullscreen' games during multi monitor gaming, the screen they are fullscreened on cursor locks them most of the time.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
I'm sure it's been asked but the thread is long. One word answer will suffice.

Should I use my VGA Xbox 360 cables for my U2211H or should I just continue to use HDMI on my inferior monitor? (I won't be watching movies or anything, just gaming.)

Edit: I'm mostly concerned with input lag.

Good Will Punting fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 6, 2011

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
How long till 2560x1440 27" monitors drop into the 4-500 dollar range?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Good Will Punting posted:

I'm sure it's been asked but the thread is long. One word answer will suffice.

Should I use my VGA Xbox 360 cables for my U2211H or should I just continue to use HDMI on my inferior monitor? (I won't be watching movies or anything, just gaming.)

Edit: I'm mostly concerned with input lag.

Use HDMI/DVI/displayport if you have it. VGA is obsolete.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AllanGordon posted:

How long till 2560x1440 27" monitors drop into the 4-500 dollar range?

http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-packard-hp-xw476a4-aba~7HEWA1AR.htm

Not too long. Theyre getting there.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls

Steakandchips posted:

Use HDMI/DVI/displayport if you have it. VGA is obsolete.

Even if it means using an inferior monitor?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get an HDMI-->DVI adapter to use on your U2211H.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270286

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Thanks! I'll probably just snag one at an J&R near my office, they seem to have 'em for a semi-reasonable price. Now to just figure out how to use my Xbox and PC at the same time...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

If I was you, I'd just use VGA for the 360 until you have a graphics card with a DisplayPort output.

The 360 scales everything up anyway, the text is never all that crisp. I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. You can always change it for a HDMI>DVI adapter later, because like you said, it'd be a dick to have to physically swap the cables each time you want to play Xbox.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
That's what I was thinking, because swapping DVI is significantly more painstaking than swapping, say, HDMI.

Is there a DVI to DisplayPort adaptor kinda deal?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Walked posted:

http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-packard-hp-xw476a4-aba~7HEWA1AR.htm

Not too long. Theyre getting there.

Are they not making TN panel 2560x1440 27" monitors. All the ones on newegg were IPS too.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Another eyefinity question I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for. At some point in the future, I will be upgrading to two 1080p monitors for my desktop. I will also be running hdmi over cat6 to run connection to my receiver across the room, for potential gaming on the couch with surround.

I understand the connection requirements, but does eyefinity support having one pair of monitors mirrored (primary and tv) along with the second desktop monitor in extended?

vvvv sweet, thanks! vvvv

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 6, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I understand the connection requirements, but does eyefinity support having one pair of monitors mirrored (primary and tv) along with the second desktop monitor in extended?

Yes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Good Will Punting posted:

That's what I was thinking, because swapping DVI is significantly more painstaking than swapping, say, HDMI.

Is there a DVI to DisplayPort adaptor kinda deal?

The problem with DVI to DisplayPort is that they're incompatible standards.

There is a special DisplayPort mode, which outputs DVI video over DisplayPort, but I don't think that's something to rely on - so your alternative is an active adapter. They're costly and not always perfect.