Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

bull3964 posted:

They just moved the setting because they added per label notifications in an update.

Settings -> select your account -> Labels to notify (all the way at the bottom)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Living Vicariously posted:

Yeah, when WidgetLocker works it's good but it's incredibly quirky. I've used it on three or four roms across two phones and it's never really worked smoothly.

Which is a shame because I love the ICS lockscreen.

I get a pretty hard core freak out from WidgetLocker at least once a day. That being said, I still use it because the ICS lockscreen is titties.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Amazon App of the day is the Ultimate Guitar App. If you play guitar I'd recommend grabbing it as its good for looking up the chords to random songs you want to play if you suck at playing by ear like I do. It also has a built in tuner, metronome, and chord diagrams.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Couch Life posted:

I don't know what's up with Widgetlocker but whenever I use it it takes like 2-4 seconds before I can actually unlock the phone. This doesn't happen with the stock lockscreen so I'm at a loss. Running a version of CM7 on Thunderbolt but it's happened with different ROMs as well.

Had this same problem. Switched to the latest SoaB Sense ROM and it works $$$.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Armacham posted:

Amazon App of the day is the Ultimate Guitar App. If you play guitar I'd recommend grabbing it as its good for looking up the chords to random songs you want to play if you suck at playing by ear like I do. It also has a built in tuner, metronome, and chord diagrams.

I was really glad to see that, I'd already bought the tabs app but this one includes all the tools, too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I love the ICS widgetlocker but the random wandering around the screen was too much to take so I'm back to 3 Froyo sliders. That said being able to switch which side of the screen unlock goes to has completely solved my 'can't grab the slider' issue.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
nm figured it out

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The difference is it's easy enough to figure out what other applications are doing, but LBE gets root so it can do whatever it wants.

I'm surprised that people are worried about LBE but no one gets all :tinfoil: about MIUI, a closed-source ROM from China.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Couch Life posted:

I don't know what's up with Widgetlocker but whenever I use it it takes like 2-4 seconds before I can actually unlock the phone. This doesn't happen with the stock lockscreen so I'm at a loss. Running a version of CM7 on Thunderbolt but it's happened with different ROMs as well.

It brought my stock HTC Merge to a crawl.

Sure did look cool, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

900ftjesus posted:

I'm surprised that people are worried about LBE but no one gets all :tinfoil: about MIUI, a closed-source ROM from China.

I haven't tried MIUI for this reason.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Same here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I haven't tried it because it looks like someone trying really hard to turn Android into iOS (read: godawful), the security concerns were just reinforcement.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Kyrosiris posted:

I haven't tried it because it looks like someone trying really hard to turn Android into iOS (read: godawful), the security concerns were just reinforcement.

This is my position too.

In saying that as soon as I realised LBE was from china I started monitoring my network for weird transmissions from it for a week or so and turned up nothing (or at least nothing obvious). Of course with whole new versions and stuff nothing really guarantees that is still the case.
On the other hand I don't really keep much super private stuff on my phone so I'm not hugely concerned, but I'm still cautious.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I love the ICS widgetlocker but the random wandering around the screen was too much to take so I'm back to 3 Froyo sliders. That said being able to switch which side of the screen unlock goes to has completely solved my 'can't grab the slider' issue.

If you're running CM7, you can get the ICS ring design on the ring-style lockscreen that ROM has: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18603870&postcount=1

I decided to go with this because the Magiklocker and Widgetlocker ICS lockscreens just weren't running smoothly at all on my O1.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

900ftjesus posted:

a closed-source ROM from China.

And that's exactly why I don't use it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Swype updated (via the app, which was nice) to include the smiley key again!

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Is there a good application that will backup all your data, contacts, settings and applications? I saw a good one that will back all this up to your SD card but it requires rooting your phone which I'm a little leary of since it's a company phone. I'm using an EVO 3D if that makes a difference.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

XIII posted:

Swype updated (via the app, which was nice) to include the smiley key again!

Does that mean I can remove the installer?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Does that mean I can remove the installer?

I don't see why not. I noticed a notification from Swype, clicked it, it updated (from within the app), the end.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

900ftjesus posted:

Exactly my thinking; ugly and suspicious.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Question regarding the Facebook app. Is anyone else experiencing a FC whenever they hit the status button? I can't seem to be able update my status at all but everything else works fine.

I know I could just use the mobile version or FriendCaster but I rather use the official app since overall it works great.

EDIT - Looks like the issue had to do with FB lists. If I change my privacy settings to only have one list or whatever the app works fine. Good going Facebook, lists are a major part of the site and the official app can't even handle them.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 5, 2011

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What's a good multi-protocol messenger app that'll actually tell you if contacts are idle? I've been using imo.im, but I finally realized that idle AIM buddies are listed as available... which would explain why a lot of people seemed to be ignoring me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

404notfound posted:

What's a good multi-protocol messenger app that'll actually tell you if contacts are idle? I've been using imo.im, but I finally realized that idle AIM buddies are listed as available... which would explain why a lot of people seemed to be ignoring me.
Everyone swears by Trillian but I haven't used it personally. Anymore I tell people to GTalk or GTFO.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Trillian is great, free, uses C2DM and supports everything.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Anymore I tell people to GTalk or GTFO.

This is me. I wish native video chat in Talk wasn't busted as poo poo in AOSP though.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
I remember reading somewhere there was a way to decopule an app from the market. I have a certain application I don't want updated (CM7 skin which I don't like the new versions). While it's around on my market apps list I can't use the update all feature which is annoying.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

scarymonkey posted:

I remember reading somewhere there was a way to decopule an app from the market. I have a certain application I don't want updated (CM7 skin which I don't like the new versions). While it's around on my market apps list I can't use the update all feature which is annoying.

If you're rooted, long press the app in Titanium Backup and unlink it from the market.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're rooted, long press the app in Titanium Backup and unlink it from the market.

Thanks! Looks like I needed the Pro version for the unlink feature, just bought it, and it seemed to work fine. Found the app in the list under the Backup/Restore section, long pressed it and chose "Deattach from Market" from the popup menu. I've been getting by with the free version of Titanium Backup for a while, it's a pretty powerful tool but the UI is horribly unintuitive.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 5, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Facebook works with CM7.1 revoked GPS, but with some interesting caveats. If you try to launch the app directly, it will crash. But if you have push notifications enabled, and you access the app via those, it will work. So I just use Android Pro Widgets or whatever to post statuses and use the push notifications to read the replies.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

scarymonkey posted:

Thanks! Looks like I needed the Pro version for the unlink feature, just bought it, and it seemed to work fine. Found the app in the list under the Backup/Restore section, long pressed it and chose "Deattach from Market" from the popup menu. I've been getting by with the free version of Titanium Backup for a while, it's a pretty powerful tool but the UI is horribly unintuitive.

The ability to reinstall all of your apps at once makes the pro version worth every penny.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
While we're on Titanium Backup - I've wondered if there is a way to set profiles or something. Or restore only the apps last backed up, without having to go through the list and selecting them. I'm stupid with apps. I install everything that looks even a little bit cool, only uninstalling when my phone says its got no memory. So in Titanium backup I have something like 500 apps but only some installed. But the reason I don't just delete those backups, or move them off the phone is because sometimes I'll realize I want to use x app and can just restore with data anytime.

I guess if there is no option for this I can just move the titanium folder contents around, backup, flash, restore, move back, backup.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Urfdser posted:

While we're on Titanium Backup - I've wondered if there is a way to set profiles or something. Or restore only the apps last backed up, without having to go through the list and selecting them. I'm stupid with apps. I install everything that looks even a little bit cool, only uninstalling when my phone says its got no memory. So in Titanium backup I have something like 500 apps but only some installed. But the reason I don't just delete those backups, or move them off the phone is because sometimes I'll realize I want to use x app and can just restore with data anytime.

I guess if there is no option for this I can just move the titanium folder contents around, backup, flash, restore, move back, backup.
Judging by the giant "Switch Profile" button on the Titanium Backup screen, I'm going to say that yes it supports profiles but I've never used them and it might be a paid feature.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

LastInLine posted:

Judging by the giant "Switch Profile" button on the Titanium Backup screen, I'm going to say that yes it supports profiles but I've never used them and it might be a paid feature.

I'm a giant idiot. Thanks. My titanium backup fell in the wrong market account and was way out of date. Reading this makes it seem like it's not what I'm looking for though. Also have free version, I'll try it later.

http://matrixrewriter.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TB+-+HOWTOs

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I've been using Go launcher EX for some time now and loving it. I was wondering though if when you place a folder on the dock bar if it's possible to get it to show more apps per page:

My screen would be able to show more but it only shows 8 with the rest on further pages. I looked in all the menus, am I missing something obvious or is it unchangeable?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I loved GO Launcher EX too. However, I must have too much junk on my Nexus S because it is somehow starting to really slow down compared to playing around with my family's who never put anything on them. :(

I recently gave JuiceDefender Ultimate a try and this is the best app I've ever purchased in my life. I was skeptical because stuff like Andvanced Task Killer Pro were useless in the Gingerbread world and figured no way I needed something with a horrible name and clunky interface. I was wrong. This phone was starting to tank and now it could feasibly last probably 24 hours on standby. I still have no idea why iPhones last forever on a charge but Androids die in half a day but all that matters is I can have a a phone last all day now!

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

VibrioCholera posted:

I loved GO Launcher EX too. However, I must have too much junk on my Nexus S because it is somehow starting to really slow down compared to playing around with my family's who never put anything on them. :(

I recently gave JuiceDefender Ultimate a try and this is the best app I've ever purchased in my life. I was skeptical because stuff like Andvanced Task Killer Pro were useless in the Gingerbread world and figured no way I needed something with a horrible name and clunky interface. I was wrong. This phone was starting to tank and now it could feasibly last probably 24 hours on standby. I still have no idea why iPhones last forever on a charge but Androids die in half a day but all that matters is I can have a a phone last all day now!

What settings do you use?

I tried juice defender, and it didn't work well for me...

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

What settings do you use?

I tried juice defender, and it didn't work well for me...

I set it to aggressive but the basic setting worked just as well. Mess around in it if you have poor battery life. The interface is garbage though. You can't tell what you're doing half the time. I made it like fifteen hours today with decent usage for an hour of that and still had over 50% left. Usually I absolutely have to charge around four or five pm if I want the phone later in the evening.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

LastInLine posted:

Everyone swears by Trillian but I haven't used it personally. Anymore I tell people to GTalk or GTFO.

I've tried ebuddy, imo, and Trillian, and none of them are capable of detecting and displaying AIM's idle status. I really don't understand this. There are plenty of PC and Mac clients that can do it.

Edit: Just tried meebo. It shows idle users, but doesn't indicate if a user is mobile! This is getting ridiculous.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 6, 2011

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Looks like Beejive shows a little clock for idle.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/506818/beejive.png

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.beejive.im&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5iZWVqaXZlLmltIl0.

They have a free version too.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.beejive.im.lite&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5iZWVqaXZlLmltLmxpdGUiXQ..

I'm not sure what the 4 star rating is about, I've been using it for a year and its been pretty good. Then again I don't IM as much as most people who would spend 10 bucks on an app to IM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Why do you have two battery icons?

• Locked thread