Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

If you buy the Pro at Microcenter it's $999, instead of $1299 for the Air. That's 30% more.

Really, the only reasons to get the Pro:
  • You literally only have $999
  • You need an optical drive
  • You need more than 256GB HD space
  • You need 8GB or possibly 16GB of RAM
  • Extra hour or two of battery life

The Air also doesn't have as glossy of a screen, which is nice.

As a Canadian, my options are limited so I just compare EDU store prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Since I couldn't find enough evidence on the Internet to find a definitive answer, I decided to roll the dice and build a gaming PC to plug into my 27" iMac and see if everything worked correctly. Vague posts that I found online said that the iMac could only handle sources at either 1280x720 or 2560x1440, and nothing in between. It was also unclear if audio would get passed correctly out of the video card and into the iMac.

The verdict: holy poo poo it works perfectly. If I turn on my little gaming PC (it's mini-ITX) the iMac automatically switches over to it regardless of resolution and pipes out the audio. Now I don't have to settle for the BF3 graphics that the iMac's 5750 could do, and can enjoy my 27" LED-backlit IPS panel at native resolution. :D

Supposedly the 2011 iMacs won't play this nicely since they require Thunderbolt devices. 2010 and 2009 should work with any DisplayPort video card, but again the Internet hasn't been too clear. All I know is that mine works beautifully.
Oh hey this is one of the things I was researching. Of course I have the new one so I'm hosed.

Intel says TB will come to PC's "sometime in 2012". So my only solution to run a windows machine on my 2011 iMac screen is a bootcamp mini?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 4, 2011

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Welp, my under 2 month old Macbook Air magsafe charger is dead, tried multiple outlets, tried both different tips, tried leaving it unplugged for a day and still nothing, no lights.
Time to go to the Apple store this weekend :sigh:

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
just bought the 27" base level iMac with the money I made from selling my Macbook Pro. Just have to say that this thing is gorgeous and extremely fast. The lion animations are much better than with the 13" 2011 MBP. Quad core also makes a huge difference. The screen is absolutely brilliant. I was using three two external 1080p monitors with my MBP and now I feel i can get by with just one.

Does anyone know how to turn hyperthreading on with this thing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The i7 has hyperthreading, not the base i5.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The i7 has hyperthreading, not the base i5.

I use my i5 iMac for video/3D and not splurging for i7's hyperthreading was my only regret. Not even a very big regret if you work smart; it is plenty fast. I just wish I could see 8 buckets churning through an image instead of 4.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can swap the CPU in the iMacs.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

japtor posted:

I'd lean towards iPad+Mac mini combo cause other than the cheapest combo for iPad development if you go that path...

I am still exceptionally happy with my 2.5 i5 Mini + 24" ACD + iPad setup.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
I had an unfortunate incident with my unibody macbook and what I'd guess you'd call the hinge between the LCD and main part got completely detached and that black piece of plastic popped off. I was pretty amazed the LCD didn't suffer any damage, but the only only thing that is holding the two together is one cable. There is one loose wire that I assume has something to do with the wifi chip since it says I no longer have any wi-fi hardware installed.

Does anyone know if an Apple store would be able to repair this kind of damage, and any idea how much it would cost? The computer still works fine but its kinda awkward having to keep the LCD propped up against something. I don't live anywhere near an Apple store or I'd just go ask them.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I'm going to be moving across the country shortly, and was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding my mac hardware. I have a 13" 2009 Macbook Pro and a 2010 27" iMac. I've been loving my iMac save for minor dust issues, but don't really know if i should move it. I need decent graphics processing -- would the upper range MBP 15" with a 27" thunderbolt display have comparable performance?

In my past experience, large external displays really kill the video performance of MBPs.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Sell the iMac and buy a new one after you move.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah that's about as good an excuse as any to buy a new one. My 2010 27" iMac is perfectly fine for me and even played Battlefield 3 with decent settings. I still kind of want a new one

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Hmmm yeah that's probably the best option, I don't know why I didn't think about just doing that. That way I can also replace my MBP with an air and finally jump on the iMac SSD bandwagon once I get there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh hey this is one of the things I was researching. Of course I have the new one so I'm hosed.

Intel says TB will come to PC's "sometime in 2012". So my only solution to run a windows machine on my 2011 iMac screen is a bootcamp mini?
(I assume you meant to link to a newer article about the TB iMacs, cause that one is about the 2009 MDP ones)

For now yeah, well the Mac mini along with the MacBook Air and Pro, and iMac. Kanex and maybe others have mentioned modifying their MDP adapters but I don't think anything has come of that yet, and if anything does come of it I'm guessing it won't be out until more TB stuff is out.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I was thinking about a MacBook Pro and iMac 27", but now I'm leaning towards a higher end 27" with SSD and MacBook Air. The laptop is for school so it'd be a lot of word processing, e-mail, surfing, etc. The iMac would be for development, programming, etc. I have a PC built for gaming so I will do my gaming on that.

So MacBook Air + iMac is a good route I assume for my needs, yeah?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hunter x az posted:

I was thinking about a MacBook Pro and iMac 27", but now I'm leaning towards a higher end 27" with SSD and MacBook Air. The laptop is for school so it'd be a lot of word processing, e-mail, surfing, etc. The iMac would be for development, programming, etc. I have a PC built for gaming so I will do my gaming on that.

So MacBook Air + iMac is a good route I assume for my needs, yeah?

Why not just get the Air and an external monitor?

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I have an old 30-in Cinema Display that unfortunately got cracked in transport in my car. I went to Apple to try to repair it, but said they don't repair them because they have been discontinued for so long. I called a list of Apple third party repair people and they told me that Apple doesn't let them repair the discontinued monitors. Am I poo poo out of luck? Do I have to throw the thing away? I am in the Los Angeles area by the way.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Odd. My 30" is still in warranty until Thanksgiving or so, since it was given to me as a replacement for a 30" I had which Apple did not properly fix.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That is a bit odd because the last 30" Cinema Displays with AppleCare will still be under warranty until mid-2013. I would ask at another store if you can.

If you want to try to fix it yourself you should have no difficulty finding the panel because it was used in the Dell 3007 monitors as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm in the market to buy a Macbook Air or Windows equivalent in the next 6 months. I've been using a 15.4" 1920x1200 Dell Latitude as my main computer for the past 4 years, and while it's AMAZING to have that much screen resolution (2 windows side-by-side), there's something to be said for a 3 lb travel weight and 8 hour battery life.

What I'm wondering is, because a lot of my work requires the use of Windows-only software, should I expect any problems using Boot Camp? I recall there being some corner case situations where applications wouldn't play nice, but I thought Boot Camp was just a boot loader like LILO or GRUB. :confused:

Also, when can we expect Apple to release their Ivy Bridge refresh of MBA's? Any thoughts on USB 3.0 being added?

My usage is basically LOTS of internetting, LOS of HD videos, heavy duty Office work, and Starcraft 2.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 5, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Most of the non-MBA ultrabooks aren't nearly as good.

The only difficulty I can recall for bootcamp is installing it with the Air's lack of DVD drive (although it's not that big a deal).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Most of the non-MBA ultrabooks aren't nearly as good.

The only difficulty I can recall for bootcamp is installing it with the Air's lack of DVD drive (although it's not that big a deal).
The ASUS UX31 looks to be a good contender, especially since it has USB 3.0.

personaljesus
Mar 30, 2003
Question on SSD installation...

I recently got a new iMac 27 couple weeks ago. Now I am regretting not having purchased the SSD along with it. I called the Apple Store (in SoHo, NYC) and they told me that they didn't provide installation service, and I should have purchased it with the SSD.

So, other than me buying an SSD and installing it myself, do I have any other options? I don't really mind installing it myself, but I am worried that would break my warranty.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

wdarkk posted:

Boot camp will make a bootable Win7 on a USB stick from an ISO image now so it's much easier.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I own a 2010 15" MBP. Will a MINI DP to DVI adapter work ok for driving a Dell U2711 at native res?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

personaljesus posted:

I recently got a new iMac 27 couple weeks ago. Now I am regretting not having purchased the SSD along with it. I called the Apple Store (in SoHo, NYC) and they told me that they didn't provide installation service, and I should have purchased it with the SSD.

So, other than me buying an SSD and installing it myself, do I have any other options? I don't really mind installing it myself, but I am worried that would break my warranty.

It won't break your warranty, just Apple will not service anything involving that SSD. If you search my posts in this thread you'll see where I found the necessary items and a guide I went off of to install a SSD in mine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They don't consider the hard drive a user replaceable part. Just don't mess anything up though and they won't know you replaced it. Keep in mind it's best to take the SSD out if you ever bring in the iMac for service.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

They don't consider the hard drive a user replaceable part. Just don't mess anything up though and they won't know you replaced it. Keep in mind it's best to take the SSD out if you ever bring in the iMac for service.

We've had this discussion multiple times and I've even asked Apple techs regarding this. So long as you don't break anything installing it and the drive itself is not the cause or related to the issue at hand, they won't care about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've also discussed it with Apple techs and they recommended I take out the SSD if it's a third-party product. I'm sure it would be fine if I just left it in there but why leave it to chance. Even more so with the iMac since it's not a user replaceable part. Apple gives instructions on how to replace the hard drive on the Macbook Pro in the manual. They don't give those instructions for the iMac or Mac Mini.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

That's weird, I had a Genius directly tell me that the HDD in MacBook Pros is considered a user replaceable part. Might be different for iMacs though.

Phiberoptik posted:

I own a 2010 15" MBP. Will a MINI DP to DVI adapter work ok for driving a Dell U2711 at native res?
Pretty sure you will need an active converter as opposed to the passive one. The one Apple makes is total poo poo, I use this Accell one which I've had no problems with so far.

Does anyone have recommendations for a 1920x1200 panel that would be compatible with my mid-2010 15" matte MBP?

Bitcoin Billionaire fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 6, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Bitcoin Billionaire posted:

That's weird, I had a Genius directly tell me that the HDD in MacBook Pros is considered a user replaceable part. Might be different for iMacs.
They are. On a MBP, you have to unscrew the bottom plate and then a couple more screws for the HD. On an iMac, you have to lift the glass display off because the alumunium body is all one piece.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Pretty sure you will need an active converter as opposed to the passive one. The one Apple makes is total poo poo, I use this Accell one which I've had no problems with so far.

What about using a Mini DP to HDMI adapter?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's weird, I had a Genius directly tell me that the HDD in MacBook Pros is considered a user replaceable part. Might be different for iMacs though.

Yes it's user replaceable on the MBP but not on the iMac. If you call Applecare and say the HD died on your MBP they'll give you an option of just sending you a replacement hard drive to put in yourself. With the iMac you'll have to bring it in.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 6, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm in the market to buy a Macbook Air or Windows equivalent in the next 6 months. I've been using a 15.4" 1920x1200 Dell Latitude as my main computer for the past 4 years, and while it's AMAZING to have that much screen resolution (2 windows side-by-side), there's something to be said for a 3 lb travel weight and 8 hour battery life.

What I'm wondering is, because a lot of my work requires the use of Windows-only software, should I expect any problems using Boot Camp? I recall there being some corner case situations where applications wouldn't play nice, but I thought Boot Camp was just a boot loader like LILO or GRUB. :confused:

Also, when can we expect Apple to release their Ivy Bridge refresh of MBA's? Any thoughts on USB 3.0 being added?

My usage is basically LOTS of internetting, LOS of HD videos, heavy duty Office work, and Starcraft 2.
How much will you be using it in Windows, only for work? I just mention that cause if you're going to use it most of the time in Windows you might want to skip on the MBA cause battery life may suffer and some have mentioned crappy trackpad drivers (may or may not be better now). Otherwise if you do want OS X, you might be able to go with virtualization for Windows rather than a separate installation depending on what you need to run.

Ivy Bridge and probably USB 3 will be...whenever it comes out next year. Could be as soon as the chips/chipsets are out, could be later whenever Apple gets around to it. Either way it'll be a while.

personaljesus posted:

Wait for an expensive Thunderbolt enclosure? :shobon:

Phiberoptik posted:

What about using a Mini DP to HDMI adapter?
Same issue as a plain DVI adapter, you'll be limited to single link resolutions. You'll need some dual link one like the one Bitcoin Billionaire linked.

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.

personaljesus posted:

Tekserve might be more willing to help (for a price). They're on 23rd between 6th and 7th.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
Looking at selling my early 2011 13" MBP and upgrade to a 15". Do you think I should wait till they release the 2012 MBP's or do you think because they did a refresh recently it'll be mid 2012 before a new model?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ReidStylez posted:

Looking at selling my early 2011 13" MBP and upgrade to a 15". Do you think I should wait till they release the 2012 MBP's or do you think because they did a refresh recently it'll be mid 2012 before a new model?

Unless they do a complete re-design, you probably won't see any changes except Ivy Bridge. Unless that brings USB 3.0 there's no real reason to wait.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert

Bob Morales posted:

Unless they do a complete re-design, you probably won't see any changes except Ivy Bridge. Unless that brings USB 3.0 there's no real reason to wait.

That was my other question. Would there be that big enough change to need to update?

The ONLY reason why I'm updating to the 15" is the bigger screen. The added video card is just a bonus and not really needed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ReidStylez posted:

That was my other question. Would there be that big enough change to need to update?

The ONLY reason why I'm updating to the 15" is the bigger screen. The added video card is just a bonus and not really needed.

In my fantasy world of Mac upgrades, the next revision will add the high-res 13" screen from the Air to the Pro, and the 15" Pro gets a 1920x1080 screen.

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's kind of crappy if they don't upgrade the Pro to that. You can get PC laptops under $1,000 with 15" 1080p displays. The processors are basically as good as the desktop versions so they might as well get desktop resolutions.