Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
How easy is it to install and manage a firefox sync server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I recently updated to ff8 b5 and it seems like it's unresponsive to clicks sometimes, like sometimes I have to double click twice? What's up with that?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I recently updated to ff8 b5 and it seems like it's unresponsive to clicks sometimes, like sometimes I have to double click twice? What's up with that?
In any particular area? I have that when rapidly closing tabs in the tab bar, I think I recall reading that it was intentional to prevent people from accidentally closing multiple tabs by double-clicking. I'm using Aurora 9a2 though.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Has anyone else had a problem recently with Firefox hanging for 10-30 seconds every 10 or so minutes? This probably started within the past two weeks. It just goes unresponsive and looks like it's freezing, but then after a little while it will look like it's quickly closed and reopened, but nothing will have changed.

I don't have many addons and I've tried disabling them successively with no change. The only thing I can think of that would have changed is a new version of Firefox.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zenzirouj posted:

Has anyone else had a problem recently with Firefox hanging for 10-30 seconds every 10 or so minutes? This probably started within the past two weeks. It just goes unresponsive and looks like it's freezing, but then after a little while it will look like it's quickly closed and reopened, but nothing will have changed.

I don't have many addons and I've tried disabling them successively with no change. The only thing I can think of that would have changed is a new version of Firefox.
That usually indicates Firefox is hanging while trying to write something to the profile. I'd run Crystal Disk info just to be safe and verify that none of your harddrives show Caution (which would mean they are failing). If that shows Healthy, back up your bookmarks (Bookmarks menu, Show All bookmarks, Import and Backup, Backup, select location) and any other browser data you care about, then try using a program like CCleaner that can compact your SQLite databases. If even that doesn't fix it, try making a new profile.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Zenzirouj posted:

Have you tried a clean user profile?

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

angrytech posted:

How easy is it to install and manage a firefox sync server?

Great question, I honestly don't know anyone personally that runs one. You could try the serives-dev mailing list https://wiki.mozilla.org/Services/services-dev

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I had that freezy issue. I cleared my downloaded files list. It was pretty extensive and from a migrated profile, so maybe it had something to do with most of the hundreds of files no longer existing.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Alereon posted:

If even that doesn't fix it, try making a new profile.

This was the step that fixed it; thanks. Is there any easy way of importing my saved passwords and junk? The addons and bookmarks were easy enough to replace.

And Jago, do you just mean the list you get when you click on Downloads? Because I keep it cleared.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Zenzirouj posted:

This was the step that fixed it; thanks. Is there any easy way of importing my saved passwords and junk? The addons and bookmarks were easy enough to replace.

And Jago, do you just mean the list you get when you click on Downloads? Because I keep it cleared.

I believe you can use sync to do this, otherwise I think you will have to copy the folders from the old profile. Use this as a guide http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_Manager

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It's been found that Live Bookmarks use far more memory than anyone had previously suspected, and that deleting them makes a pretty substantial difference (and may make an overall performance difference due to SQLite I/O). If you go to the Bookmarks Menu and select "Show All Bookmarks" you'll get the Bookmarks Manager, click on "Bookmarks Toolbar" on the left side, then delete the "Latest Headlines" live bookmark. They're going to stop adding it by default in Firefox 10, but it will still be in already existing profiles until users delete it or make a new profile.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Alereon posted:

It's been found that Live Bookmarks use far more memory than anyone had previously suspected, and that deleting them makes a pretty substantial difference (and may make an overall performance difference due to SQLite I/O).

I have at least 14, 10 of which I check multiple times per day. This is sad news :(

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ryanbruce posted:

I have at least 14, 10 of which I check multiple times per day. This is sad news :(

I have nearly 30 feeds and use Brief for easy access. Seems I have to switch to a GReader-Frontend for FF (Feedly?)
At least I might have now an explanation for the high (1.3 GB and more for 50 Tabs) memory usage. I have to test it a bit.

Edit: Removing the Live Bookmarks reduced my Firefox memory footprint from 1.3 to 1.1 GB (about 50 tabs). Better, but not the reason for my memory woes apparently. Don't think the 200 MB is worth the loss of Brief for me though.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 2, 2011

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Welp, the bottom of that link talks about a few other issues, one of which is a "huge memory leak" in the downloadhelper addon that I have. Gonna switch back to my original profile for a bit and see if that was the problem.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 2, 2011

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Anyone have a problem trying to full screen youtube vids? Whenever I go to fullscreen on a youtube vid it just maximizes in the browser. It used to pop out into its own flash player window or whatever and I could send it to my other monitor full screened. This is only on youtube cause it still does pops out on other sites.

It does this.

Biodome fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 2, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That looks like the HTML5 WebM player.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

pseudorandom name posted:

That looks like the HTML5 WebM player.

I think that Clea.nr extension automatically put me in the html5 trial or something. I uninstalled it but I was still in the html5 trial but opting out fixed it. Thanks.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Zenzirouj posted:

Welp, the bottom of that link talks about a few other issues, one of which is a "huge memory leak" in the downloadhelper addon that I have. Gonna switch back to my original profile for a bit and see if that was the problem.
Nope, wasn't the problem, it's still happening. That or the release doesn't actually fix it.

Microsoft Spy posted:

I believe you can use sync to do this, otherwise I think you will have to copy the folders from the old profile. Use this as a guide http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_Manager
Sync doesn't seem to work on the same machine so I just did the latter, which worked fine. Thanks for the help, everybody!

Biodome posted:

Anyone have a problem trying to full screen youtube vids? Whenever I go to fullscreen on a youtube vid it just maximizes in the browser. It used to pop out into its own flash player window or whatever and I could send it to my other monitor full screened. This is only on youtube cause it still does pops out on other sites.
No, but a similar issue I had for a while was being unable to expand youtube videos, which turned out to be some bizzaro glitch with https-everywhere.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 3, 2011

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Have they dicked around with the keyboard interface in the last update to Aurora? All of a sudden I can't PgUp/PgDn or End/Home my way through a page, and the arrow keys apparently navigate through links.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do you have an Alt key stuck down?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Nope, but I wouldn't have thought of that so thanks for the suggestion. Did a handful of diagnostics and cycled power... and then discovered that somehow 'always use keyboard for navigation' got turned on in Aurora's preferences. Weird, because I don't remember seeing that option before.

Oh well, crisis averted. Thanks again.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I didn't see it mentioned the past few pages.

Gmail's new look is just absolutely terrible on Firefox 7. It seems to work just fine under IE (9) and Chrome (15).

It looks fine, but performance is bad. Really bad. Slow, choppy animations for everything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I haven't experienced any performance issues. However, I am using Waterfox 7 instead of Firefox 7 because this has 64 bit builds and sse optimizations and yadda yadda.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Xenomorph posted:

Gmail's new look is just absolutely terrible on Firefox 7. It seems to work just fine under IE (9) and Chrome (15).

It looks fine, but performance is bad. Really bad. Slow, choppy animations for everything.

I have not tested with 7 but I am running 9 and it seems fine.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Xenomorph posted:

It works just fine for me (7.0.1). Try clearing your cache and checking for any weird extensions.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I was talking about the download list that you keep clear. Did you solve your issues?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Fangs404 posted:

It works just fine for me (7.0.1). Try clearing your cache and checking for any weird extensions.

I tried clearing my cache, cookies, everything.
With ALL extensions disabled (no Themes, no userChrome.css), it still performs like crap.
However, when I start Firefox in "Safe mode", Gmail performs way better. It says Safe mode disables all extensions, but it's obviously doing something more than that for Gmail to work so differently compared to a non-safe mode that also has all extensions disabled.

This isn't a profile issue, as it happens on multiple profiles and even on multiple systems (Windows, Mac).

It's not just me:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=5010559f7ebdb2d1
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=086271ff9f0b1529
http://www.skamid.com/web/new-gmail-interface-bad-performance/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it just me or is Firefox 8 really bloaty?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Xenomorph posted:

I tried clearing my cache, cookies, everything.
With ALL extensions disabled (no Themes, no userChrome.css), it still performs like crap.
However, when I start Firefox in "Safe mode", Gmail performs way better. It says Safe mode disables all extensions, but it's obviously doing something more than that for Gmail to work so differently compared to a non-safe mode that also has all extensions disabled.

This isn't a profile issue, as it happens on multiple profiles and even on multiple systems (Windows, Mac).

It's not just me:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=5010559f7ebdb2d1
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=086271ff9f0b1529
http://www.skamid.com/web/new-gmail-interface-bad-performance/

I wonder if it has something to do with hardware acceleration. I bet safe mode doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled. Try disabling that to see if it fixes your issue (options -> advanced -> uncheck hardware acceleration). If it does, maybe try updating your graphics drivers (do that anyway).

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Whelp, I'm back on Firefox. I gave it up in favor of Opera after that fast release cycle bullshit was dropped on developers. I always knew I would come back, once the bulk of the add-on community have adapted to the changes, and they seem to have done so now. Mozilla handled that whole situation like complete idiots though, and I hope they learned something from it, though that's unlikely.

I went with Aurora (currently version 9 alpha 2), and just finished the usual post-install "get the add-ons that make the Internet not suck". I've been using most of these for a long time but it always amazes me how entrenched advertisers are in the modern web browsing experience. It takes every single one of these addons to have a fast, safe, and private browsing experience today:

Adblock Plus (general ads)
BetterPrivacy (Flash plugin's cookies)
Ghostery (hundreds of invisible trackers)
NoScript (safety)
ShareMeNot (social media trackers such as +1 and Like)

Of course, this is in addition to tweaking some non-plugin options, like having FF delete cookies on exit, and disabling geolocation. Scary stuff.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

MachinTrucChose posted:

Whelp, I'm back on Firefox. I gave it up in favor of Opera after that fast release cycle bullshit was dropped on developers. I always knew I would come back, once the bulk of the add-on community have adapted to the changes, and they seem to have done so now. Mozilla handled that whole situation like complete idiots though, and I hope they learned something from it, though that's unlikely.

I went with Aurora (currently version 9 alpha 2), and just finished the usual post-install "get the add-ons that make the Internet not suck". I've been using most of these for a long time but it always amazes me how entrenched advertisers are in the modern web browsing experience. It takes every single one of these addons to have a fast, safe, and private browsing experience today:

NoScript (safety)

Of course, this is in addition to tweaking some non-plugin options, like having FF delete cookies on exit, and disabling geolocation. Scary stuff.

Thanks for this, totally checked them out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Was there an update on FF7 a few days ago? I have been unable to restore my sessions.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MachinTrucChose posted:

It takes every single one of these addons to have a fast, safe, and private browsing experience today:

NoScript (safety)

I would add RequestPolicy (cross-site requests) in there.

It arguably goes against the "fast" requirement since you'll have to whitelist new domains pretty much on every other site you visit (though pages will load noticeably faster when they don't have to wait for shittysocialmedia.com to answer), but as far as "safe" goes it's brutally powerful. It doesn't rely on a blacklisting service, meaning it works well at catching anything that slips by ABP/Ghostery/ShareMeNot, and for that matter makes them nearly redundant.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

MachinTrucChose posted:

Anyone knows how effective Ghostery is if you're already using something like EasyPrivacy for ABP?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
FF8 is final.

Cue obligatory 'Firefox's version numbers recently are loving retarded' comment.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

jeeves posted:

FF8 is final.

Cue obligatory 'Firefox's version numbers recently are loving retarded' comment.

It is a bit silly when they have the retirement dates for 8 and 9 mapped out already, if you go by Wikipedia.

Seems like they're just drawing a line in the sand, and going with whatever the most stable nightly is at that time, planned out. Curious, especially since it's not really a race. I won't argue the version numbers as such, because that's pretty tired.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

It is a bit silly when they have the retirement dates for 8 and 9 mapped out already, if you go by Wikipedia.

Seems like they're just drawing a line in the sand, and going with whatever the most stable nightly is at that time, planned out. Curious, especially since it's not really a race. I won't argue the version numbers as such, because that's pretty tired.
They're on a planned six week release cycle, so they keep track of what features they're working on and have them planned for a particular version. For the last six weeks, they've been working on features planned for Firefox 10, which are landed on the nightly branch as they're completed. If features aren't ready in time to make the cut-off, like SPDY protocol support for example, they're pushed back to the next version. At the end of the six week cycle, the current nightly build becomes the current Aurora build and undergoes six weeks of testing. After that it undergoes six weeks of Beta testing, with a Release Candidate build being designated once they think they have something ready for release. If no snowstopper bugs are found, that build gets released.

The key is that they're not just developing Firefox at their own pace then shipping a snapshot every six weeks regardless of what has changed, each version is managed separately as a six week block of development time with its own milestones and features planned. I think that as Firefox users we're seeing new features and enhancements faster than we did before, though this is an area they could also improve on communicating to users, as the "What's New?" pages historically haven't been very informative. They do have people working on better communicating changes between versions in the release notes. There's also less breakage of add-ons because the incremental changes are easier to track by developers. It's not as easy to use add-ons that aren't hosted on Addons.Mozilla.Org or actively updated, but reality is that Mozilla has solutions for that (automated compatibility testing and version bumping) that add-on authors just aren't using.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Nightly Tester Tools won't let me force compatibility with a bunch of my extensions. Was there some major change to the extension system, or do I just need to wait on an update?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Lazyhound posted:

Nightly Tester Tools won't let me force compatibility with a bunch of my extensions. Was there some major change to the extension system, or do I just need to wait on an update?

Check the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Well, the implicit question was more if there was some actual issue that would cause that to blow up in my face, but I'll assume no.