Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
The history of Westeros from the perspective of the weirwoods isn't something I'm super excited about to see in the next two books, but to each their own.

Ross fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maybe Bran can use Cerebro to find out where the gently caress Rickon has been for the last 3-4 books. I mean, nobody really gives a gently caress, but at least we would know.

Also we won't ever know because the book will never come out.

Zqxm
Mar 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

Also we won't ever know because the book will never come out.

Get it, guys?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

mikey triumph posted:

People are bothered by Bran the Tree? It will be a little deus-ex-machiny but now Bran can see everything that has ever happened in front of a Weirwood. There will be so much interesting exposition, as we get to see important events from almost every corner of Westeros for it's entire history. I think Bran will end up being more of a dramatic device than a real force in the unfolding events.

From the author that brought us exciting chapters such as "Blackwoods and Brackens Bitch at Eachother", and "Baby Aegon Literally Recites a Boring History Lesson."

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh boy, that just sounds so thrilling. Bran the History Text. I can't wait for him to start sperging out and alienating his friends while he eats Cheetos and slams back a Dew in his parents' basement.

No gently caress YOU, dead dad from a vision from the past, you just don't understand! Glorious Meereen has culture! You'll see once I get there on my broken legs and they accept me for who I am and the sexy dragon girls are all over me and my superior ways! :qq:

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 6, 2011

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Bran the History Text.

Well, books are made of trees so... maybe Ramsay goes north?

:unsmigghh:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mikey triumph posted:

I think Bran will end up being more of a dramatic device than a real force in the unfolding events.

I bet he'll be so much of a dramatic device that his entire plot thread will have no relevance to any of the narrative by story's end and exist for "flavor."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The real shame is that we won't get to see him mind rape Hodor much anymore.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Well he does have roots at his disposal now... Gurm won´t dissapoint.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

rejutka posted:

Get hosed.

By GET hosed I mean watch more Michael Caine in any movie ever. I also mean Get hosed.

You're an insane person if you think my brother's fantasy-swearing has anything to do with Michael Bloody Caine. Also, I don't remember if the word burnt or burned was used as well? I don't know. Let's leave the comparisons of speech patterns of national treasures and introverted otakus to the professionals, shall we?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

zocio posted:

Well he does have roots at his disposal now... Gurm won´t dissapoint.

Winds of Winter will have a graphic, blow-by-blow fifty-page homage to Evil Dead. no it won't because it's never coming out :ssh:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Ashrik posted:

Also, I don't remember if the word burnt or burned was used as well?

Are you thinking of "flaming"? I recall that being widely used in one of the early WOT books.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

zocio posted:

Well, books are made of trees so... maybe Ramsay goes north?

:unsmigghh:

You know, I think a whole series of Ramsay Bolton going all over Westeros would be great. He'd be the perpetual outsider, able to grant insight into each culture.

It would be called "Places to Go, People to Flay"

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

You know, I think a whole series of Ramsay Bolton going all over Westeros would be great. He'd be the perpetual outsider, able to grant insight into each culture.

It would be called "Places to Go, People to Flay"

Places to go, people to flay, dogs to gently caress.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is the thread Bad again, yet? I can't be bothered to read hundreds of posts about whether or not Bran will use his tree powers for good or evil, or whether or not Aegon is really Aegon. I want my thread full of terrible (awesome) fanfiction back.

Ross posted:

Are you thinking of "flaming"? I recall that being widely used in one of the early WOT books.

"Burn me!" and such are also used extensively in WoT.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Devorum posted:

"Burn me!" and such are also used extensively in WoT.

Mothers milk in a cup!

I say bloody but I'm English so I'm allowed to :smuggo:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Aegon, the true secret anime Targ.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

It would be called "Eat, Flay, Rape"

Because editing something is much easier than writing your own stuff. :Gurm:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Eat, Flay, Rape (Not Necessarily in that Order)
by Chef Ramsay Bolton

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Maytag posted:

Are you his brother because if not you're insane.

There's a difference between Caine and some redneck from Alabama saying it.

I'm from Alabama so lets try. This conversation is bloody ridiculous!

Any major difference there?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Dungeon Nightmares with Chef Ramsay Bolton.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I would totally buy an Eat Flay Rape, by Gordon Ramsay Bolton EDITED BY GEORGE RR MARTIN avatar but I suck at both photoshop and :effort:.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Eat, Flay, Rape

At twenty and two, Ramsay Bolton was trained at arms, was heir to the Dreadfort, had a wife, and would become Warden of the North in due time. However, he was unhappy in his marriage and often spent the night hunting and raping common girls. After starving and flaying his bride, he embarked on a rape bender which continued for some time but did not work out, leaving his victims devastated and him alone.

Afterwards, while whiping a maester into writing about his exploits in the Summer Islands, Ramsay met a red priest who told him he would one day come back and praise R'llor with him. After finalizing a coat made from his wife, Ramsay spent the next year traveling around Essos. The trip was paid for in advance with a loan from the Iron Bank of Braavos.

He spent four months in Volantis, eating and enjoying life ("Eat"). He spent three months in Salver's Bay, expanding his wardrobe ("Flay"). He ended the year in the Summer Islands, looking for "balance" of the two and found rape ("Rape") in the form of the entire population of the Islands.

Edited from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat,_Pray,_Love by George RR Martin.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

zocio posted:

Eat, Flay, Rape

At twenty and two, Ramsay Bolton was trained at arms, was heir to the Dreadfort, had a wife, and would become Warden of the North in due time. However, he was unhappy in his marriage and often spent the night hunting and raping common girls. After starving and flaying his bride, he embarked on a rape bender which continued for some time but did not work out, leaving his victims devastated and him alone.

Afterwards, while whiping a maester into writing about his exploits in the Summer Islands, Ramsay met a red priest who told him he would one day come back and praise R'llor with him. After finalizing a coat made from his wife, Ramsay spent the next year traveling around Essos. The trip was paid for in advance with a loan from the Iron Bank of Braavos.

He spent four months in Volantis, eating and enjoying life ("Eat"). He spent three months in Salver's Bay, expanding his wardrobe ("Flay"). He ended the year in the Summer Islands, looking for "balance" of the two and found rape ("Rape") in the form of the entire population of the Islands.

Edited from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat,_Pray,_Love by George RR Martin.

Now a major stage production by Westeros' favorite group, the Bloody Mummers! Coming next summer to a castle near you!

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

onemanlan posted:

I'm from Alabama so lets try. This conversation is bloody ridiculous!

Any major difference there?

Were I able to hear the accent, yes, yes there would be.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Maytag posted:

Were I able to hear the accent, yes, yes there would be.

Why even try to help an American who tries to use British slang? They're clearly beyond saving.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
"No worries" is an exception though, that one doesn't seem to be accent-specific.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Why even try to help an American who tries to use British slang? They're clearly beyond saving.

Oi, wanker. Stop being such a bell-end, mate. That's loving bollocks is what that is.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Oi, wanker. Stop being such a bell-end, mate. That's loving bollocks is what that is.
Bugger bollocks kebab mate! Fugeen Man U mahrot!?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

"kebab" is limey slang?

Is it slang for meat spitted on a stick, perhaps with vegetables and grilled? Because I'm pretty sure the lebanese coined that word already.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

"kebab" is limey slang?

Is it slang for meat spitted on a stick, perhaps with vegetables and grilled? Because I'm pretty sure the lebanese coined that word already.

The English do seem to love them some kebabs while simultaneously hating the "pakis" who sell them though.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

On the subject of accents... the TV show would have been way better if the characters didn't all have british accents like I knew they would. When I read the books everyone in Westeros sounded American. Grrm is 'murrican too so there is precedence there.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

The English do seem to love them some kebabs while simultaneously hating the "pakis" who sell them though.

We Americans are good at things like that.

Case in point: My step-brother used to be a neo-nazi skinhead type, but would invariably be listening to NWA or one of its component rappers' solo albums. I told him once that he didn't "get" racism...but he didn't get my joke either, and accused me of being on "their" side. I'm glad he got better.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Can we compile a list of all of the people Dany should have killed during ADWD?

I'll start:
-Pretty much every member of a noble family she could get her hands on, up to and including the little kids she had running around her palace
-Xaro
-The Green Grace, the poo poo-colored grace, and every other loving grace she could get her hands on
-Hizdahr
-Brown Ben Plumm
-Herself, probably.

One of the next two books had better be her going absolutely scorched earth on anyone and anything she can get her hands on, otherwise all of this buildup to scary dragon queen is stupid.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

mikey triumph posted:

On the subject of accents... the TV show would have been way better if the characters didn't all have british accents like I knew they would. When I read the books everyone in Westeros sounded American. Grrm is 'murrican too so there is precedence there.

If you didn't know, the show is filmed primarily in Ireland and is in agreement to use actors and actresses from their Actor's Guild, so it makes sense. :goonsay:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Can we compile a list of all of the people Dany should have killed during ADWD?

I'll start:
-Pretty much every member of a noble family she could get her hands on, up to and including the little kids she had running around her palace
-Xaro
-The Green Grace, the poo poo-colored grace, and every other loving grace she could get her hands on
-Hizdahr
-Brown Ben Plumm
-Herself, probably.

One of the next two books had better be her going absolutely scorched earth on anyone and anything she can get her hands on, otherwise all of this buildup to scary dragon queen is stupid.

What did Brown Ben Plumm do? Also yes Dany is a moron. Oh hey this guy can stop all the killings just by talking to people, he surely can't be connected. Green Grace is probaby the Harpy as others have said.

The book would have been much more awesome if she'd just let the Shavepate do whatever he wanted. That dude is loving :black101:.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Neurosis posted:

What did Brown Ben Plumm do?
He's one of the many mercenaries smart enough to betray Dany.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

mikey triumph posted:

TBH I think as a general rule, when you have filmed work where social standing is a strong element, British accents are a good idea. North American accents are generally a lot less stratified which isn't something I consider especially beneficial in such a situation. I feel like the accents were the right tool for the job.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not to mention that whilst an American audience might be able to handle a British accent (due to conditioning about fantasy TV shows), an American accent in Game of Thrones would be nigh-intolerable for Brits and Aussies and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Soulcleaver posted:

He's one of the many mercenaries smart enough to betray Dany.

I confused him with Strong Belwas. Shameful.

MikeJF posted:

Not to mention that whilst an American audience might be able to handle a British accent (due to conditioning about fantasy TV shows), an American accent in Game of Thrones would be nigh-intolerable for Brits and Aussies and the like.

I tend to agree. In Amadeus American accents were used and it was really jarring.