Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Brian Fellows posted:

Is there any good way to kill the drat Titanate Demon at the Lost Izalith shortcut? I can do plenty of pyro damage but he basically just decides when it's time to kill me.

Stay right on top of him if you're rocking Combustion, around his left armpit or so or right up against his tail. If he rears back duck away or he'll do his grab slam, otherwise keep your shield up and roast him between his swings.

If you're using Fire Orb or Great Fireball, stay at the edge of your range and ideally toss it right after he jumps away from you. You'll want to be close enough to where he doesn't throw lightning, and far enough to where he won't interrupt you with his pole swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There's a much more tedious and safe way to deal with the strongest titanite demon in the game. Approach him from the back using the Izalith shortcut. Don't worry about being loud because he has no ears. Hit his tail and or body with your strongest attack. Retreat back to the stairs near the shortcut. If you notice he'll reset his position with his back facing you again. Repeat until dead.

I can take him down using all my Fire Whips with Dusk Crown equipped on my +5 Ascended Pyro Flame in NG++ with no hassle or damage.

I should mention that his leaping attack at this point for me is instant death unless I have Havel's or Smough's set equipped when I fight him, even with 30 vitality. But typically the same melee strategies work on him that they do on the others. It's just that the area you fight him in is probably the most challenging in the game, what with the gaps in the wall and the limited space.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 6, 2011

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Digger-254 posted:

I just had the best Dark Souls moment ever. Like a "this is why I bought this game" type of moment.

I throw down my summon sign at the bonfire in Sen's Fortress, get a bite right away. Another zwei-guy! Alright; high-five, brother, let's go crack some skulls. We swept over the joint, broke through and slaughtered everything in a (ponderously slow) flurry of bashing and clanging, summoned Iron Tarkus, and utterly destroyed the golem in less than a minute. Awesome. So I use my newfound humanity to revive, summon at the first sign I see, and guess who it is! Indeed, and there was much gesture rejoicing. Same deal: clear the roofs, summon our boy Tarkus, and dive at the golem. We're all gleefully hacking away at his knees and ankles when out of nowhere a mistimed roll had my new friend grabbed, crushed, and slammed to the ground, barely a sliver of life left. I think I may have even audibly gasped. But there must have been a couple HP left in that bar because he did get up. And it was motherfuckin' go time.

An estus flask swig or two had him back up and running, and then we commenced to pounding on that sucker so friggin' hard that we actually knocked him right off the roof. Not the "stumble and sitting down where there's no ground" type off falling off, 3 ultra-greatswords pounding away kept him staggering backward until we drove him right off the edge. YOU DEFEATED? We DESTROYED in an incandescent frenzy of jolly co-operation!! Best part: Just before this guy disappeared, we both happened to do the Joy gesture at near the same time and I poo poo you not, it looked like we high-fived just as he was fading into the ether.

...Dude. This game. Strangers randomly thrown together, falling right into pace, helping each other out, smashing the bad guys, then high-fiving before fading out and probably never being seen again. Hell yeah.

I know what you mean. Because of how obscure and weird the co-op is, I've had some pretty awesome experiences.

I made a new character with the master key and dashed through the beginning of the game, sequence-breaking and picking up basically all the cool poo poo I could before the first 'real' boss. My character theme was the golden knight: since they're so many pieces of armor that are gold yellow or copper it was easy to pick my gear. I trounce the gargoyles pretty easily, so I get a few summons so I could join the Sunbros.

I need one more summon, and I've been waiting for a while, so I decide to move onto the Capra Demon. After about 20 minutes I get summoned. I remember the guys name because our gamertags both have 'APES' in it. I see a guy in mismatched hollow armor and a wooden shield. He gets destroyed in one hit. He summons me twice more but dies due to the dogs or the demon each time. I guess it was a pretty slow time for summoning, because the guy summons me again. I do the point to the ground gesture, and drop a ton of poo poo for the guy, including a whole shitload of titanite and some plus 5'd armor and weapons. I even left him my drake sword which I was getting sick of. I watch him pick it all up, put on his new drake sword and armor, and we wreck the Capra demon. He sends me a thank you note saying that he was stuck there for HOURS and that that was his last humanity.

Anyway, I made a thiefy-but physically weak character sometime later and came to a major roadblock at O&S. My knight character beat them pretty easily but I was getting no summons on this fight at all, or they'd get killed in seconds. To top it off I wanted Ornstein's armor so it was a really tough fight.

After one of my many deaths, I cleared all the enemies from the chamber, summon Solaire, and to my delight I see a summon sign. It's a golden Sunbro one to. I walk up to see who it is and lo and behold it's the guy I helped with Capra demon! Since he summoned me like four times and had such a similar name there was no mistaking it. He's decked out in heavy armor and has a greatsword now. I summon him successfully and he immediately sends me a message saying 'Hey, remember me?'

I'm like 'Yeah man, sup! I really want Ornstein's armor, can we kill fatty first?"

Dude drops the entire Ornstein set for me to pick up, asks me if I want Smough's now and we go in and kick the poo poo out of them. I was planning on making this guy a Darkwraith but I went ahead and made him a Sunbro in honor of that guy.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Merauder posted:

When in doubt, Poison Arrows are always the answer.

Do those work on titanite demons? I hadn't considered using it on anything that doesn't look, well, organic.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Brian Fellows posted:

Is there any good way to kill the drat Titanate Demon at the Lost Izalith shortcut? I can do plenty of pyro damage but he basically just decides when it's time to kill me.

1)Equip your strongest weapon, or maybe the coolest looking one.
2)Equip The Pussy rear end Bitch off hand shield.
3)Throw it and keep throwing until you're sick of looking at it or until the patch arrives.
4)Profit.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It would be crazy if you could poison an inorganic rock monster, but I wouldn't doubt it. You can poison the steel giants in Anor Londo so it's possible.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rough Lobster posted:

I really enjoyed this story. :allears:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 6, 2011

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

KozmoNaut posted:

namechat

Needless to say that I am terrible with names.

Rough Lobster posted:

Sunbro story

Awesome! :3:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

KozmoNaut posted:

Sheesh people, Ornstein and Smough are pronounced exactly as they're written, with a German influence. And it's "stein", not "stien" or "steen" as the e is before the i and is very nearly a j sound. In Smough the h is silent, "smowg".

My guess is that Quelaag is "Que" like the Spanish word and lagh with short-ish a sound.

Or alternatively, Throat-Warbler Mangrove.

I bet you pronounce Weinstein as Whine-Stine too.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I cannot get the gargoyle's tail in NG+ for the life of me. I just hit it with a sword, right? I'm hitting for 600-800, so I need to homeward bone out after I hit him three times.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I cannot get the gargoyle's tail in NG+ for the life of me. I just hit it with a sword, right? I'm hitting for 600-800, so I need to homeward bone out after I hit him three times.

Just remember to hit him near the end of the tail (the lower half, at least), not at the base. There seems to be a separate, distant hitbox for the tail on every monster that can get it cut off, so you might be hitting a bit too high by mistake.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jetpack Postman posted:

Just remember to hit him near the end of the tail (the lower half, at least), not at the base. There seems to be a separate, distant hitbox for the tail on every monster that can get it cut off, so you might be hitting a bit too high by mistake.
Guess I should try a weapon faster than rear end-slow. I'll give it a shot.
edit: Don't have the souls to upgrade my axe. Zweihander it is!
edit: Decided to use my divine claymore even though I have poo poo faith. That did the trick. Guess I must have been hitting the butt more than the tail.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 6, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Guess I should try a weapon faster than rear end-slow. I'll give it a shot.
edit: Don't have the souls to upgrade my axe. Zweihander it is!

If it's a Zweihander than a clean hit should take it off in one shot. My Divine Halberd +5 on my Sunbro character severed the tail on both of the Anor Londo gargoyles in one hit.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Merauder posted:

When in doubt, Poison Arrows are always the answer.

I dunno. This seems like it would take an excruciatingly long amount of time. If you just want to get past him, run on by. It's really easy, and killing him doesn't matter because he's the one titanite demon that respawns. If you want to farm him, you're gonna need a quicker method if you don't want to go completely insane.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Rough Lobster posted:

Awesomeness.

That's like a movie plot right there. :)

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Anyone know what this ST damage is listed on weapons in stuff that's data mined?

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/weapons/dagger/1

Daggers have very low ST (like 10) and some of the bigger weapons (Grant for instance, fully upgraded) can go up to 112. Guard Break maybe?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Rough Lobster posted:

Do those work on titanite demons? I hadn't considered using it on anything that doesn't look, well, organic.

I seem to remember this being how I killed that particular Titanite, but I could be mis-remembering.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

oneliquidninja posted:

Anyone know what this ST damage is listed on weapons in stuff that's data mined?

http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/weapons/dagger/1

Daggers have very low ST (like 10) and some of the bigger weapons (Grant for instance, fully upgraded) can go up to 112. Guard Break maybe?
The hover says "stamina damage," so that seems like the general idea.

I just put 6 poison arrows into a NG+ titanite demon (it's all I had, okay) and it didn't poison him, for what it's worth.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
I can tell you for sure that the Titanite Demons in Sen's Fortress can't be poisoned. Or else it takes more than a dozen or so arrows to make it stick.

If you think about it, since they're usually in very defined spaces that they're physically incapable of leaving it really would make them way, way too easy.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Elysiume posted:

The hover says "stamina damage," so that seems like the general idea.

Scripts disabled ftl. Thanks Elysiume.

Or maybe I wasn't hovering for long enough. Takes it a second to pop up.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
"Smoff"

PS gently caress New Londo Ruins

I'm running around in this stupid skirt etc. but I keep getting hosed before I can even get to the drain lever...am I better off just playing with my "A" armor cursed than running around in a wedding dress with a Great Sword of Artorias (cursed)?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
holy poo poo a jagged ghost blade dropped FINALLY

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

buzzsaw.gif posted:

holy poo poo a jagged ghost blade dropped FINALLY

spoiler alert: it's garbage unless you feel like pumping it up to +5, then it turns into expensive garbage

Just buy some transient curses and farm ghosts for ten minutes, you'll have all the curses you'll ever need

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

buzzsaw.gif posted:

"Smoff"

PS gently caress New Londo Ruins

I'm running around in this stupid skirt etc. but I keep getting hosed before I can even get to the drain lever...am I better off just playing with my "A" armor cursed than running around in a wedding dress with a Great Sword of Artorias (cursed)?

Use a Transient Curse. They last forever, you can block, and you can use your normal weapons/armor.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Digger-254 posted:

I can tell you for sure that the Titanite Demons in Sen's Fortress can't be poisoned. Or else it takes more than a dozen or so arrows to make it stick.

Yeah you know what, I thought about it a little more, and it was the Crystal Laser Beam Shield I used on the Izalith Titanite Demon, not poison. I just remembered popping in and out of cover of a tree branch from a range enough for him to sit still and shoot lightning at me, while I plinked away at him... just had the weapon (very) wrong :v:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Fungah! posted:

spoiler alert: it's garbage unless you feel like pumping it up to +5, then it turns into expensive garbage

Just buy some transient curses and farm ghosts for ten minutes, you'll have all the curses you'll ever need

Eh. I disagree. Two-hand it and you can block ghost attacks with it (although it's not as good as a shield), and ghosts go down to three quick R1 slashes, even without any upgrades.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
While I'm helping this dude through Anor Londo, I decide that it would be fun to be on the outer arm of that rotating tower as he flips the switch.

I'm spinning, yay big deal. It's about to stop...

YOU DIED.

....What?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Olesh posted:

Eh. I disagree. Two-hand it and you can block ghost attacks with it (although it's not as good as a shield), and ghosts go down to three quick R1 slashes, even without any upgrades.

Yeah, but you can pop a curse and then kill ghosts in like one hit with whatever absurdly overpowered endgame stuff you want, and also block with a real shield and have armor reduce your damage

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What does Hydra do attackwise? It doesn't appear to be blockable and it kills me in one hit.

Maybe I should put some points in vitality. My stamina bar is longer than my health bar.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I really enjoyed this story. :allears:

I forgot to mention that for some reason he also left me a Titanite Catchpole. It's definitely not the type of weapon my thief guy would logically use but I bust it out once in a while for its awesome moveset.

That's actually one thing I really really love about this game. Pretty much any weapon you see someone wield is something you can use yourself with a little luck.
All those times fighting Titanite Demons and their huge gently caress-off poles and I would never have guessed that I could use that myself.

Kinda the same way I felt when I was smacking around Taurus demons in the Ruins and one dropped off his huge 'axe'

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Elysiume posted:

What does Hydra do attackwise? It doesn't appear to be blockable and it kills me in one hit.

Maybe I should put some points in vitality. My stamina bar is longer than my health bar.

Blasts of water until you get a few steps into the water in front of it, and then it lunges its heads at you. Make sure you pay attention to where the ledge drops off in the water so you don't fall in. You can use the reflection in the water to get an idea of where the heads are also, or which ones you have left to take off.

Vitality is always a good stat to put points into.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Elysiume posted:

If you approach from the valley of the drakes entrance iirc you can have cover more or less the entire way to the lake. Get in there and stay close to the ledge and she'll stop shooting water blasts and start trying to eat you

e: unless you're talking about the ash lake hydra, for that one just run between the stone dragon and the entrance until it fucks up a jump, lands on sand, and dies instantly. Just priceless

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hell yeah, page 666! Perfect for the game.

What do y'all think about that one special rapier you get in Sen's fortress versus a normal one?
This is a ways back, but to comment on Ricard's Rapier: It's got a completely awesome R2 attack that can do a hellacious amount of damage if you do the whole combo. It's a good choice to enchant with Crystal Magic Weapon.

Only problem is needing 20 Dexterity, which is pretty high for an Intelligence build but not an issue for a Dex build.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

oneliquidninja posted:

Scripts disabled ftl. Thanks Elysiume.

Or maybe I wasn't hovering for long enough. Takes it a second to pop up.
It doesn't use any script magic for tooltips. Nearly everything in the table header is an <abbr> so highlighting them will show a tooltip as usual.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I saw some thread on GameFAQs that shows that there's some damage normalization going on with the Magic Weapon series of spells and attack speeds. Ricard's Rapier doesn't just add the bonus damage to every single R2 hit. It's a lot of damage still but not like "oh my god this flat damage bonus times six!!!!"

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, just beat the game last night at SL62, and I really don't see how people decided Gwyn was tough to fight. I just held my shield up and stabbed him to death with my +10 Fire Winged Spear. His fire sword did a little damage through my shield, but not that much, and I could just dodge around and get behind a pillar long enough to Flask when I got below half. I was actually super disappointed in how easy the fight was. I went in my first time and just one-shot the poor bastard. Then I accidentally linked the fires like a 'tard after joining the Darkwraiths and whatnot, so time for NG+!

On the other hand running around alive the whole game in my NG+ is a whole different game. Been invaded a lot, and only been killed once by phantoms. Some guy who lag backstabbed me from in front of me while my back was to a wall. Best fight though was the crystal homing soulmass guy in the forest area who tried to rush me while I just rolled under all his spells and beat him in the face. He'd run off, I'd chase, then dodge away and flask up. Took a few repetitions of that but he eventually died since he was utterly incapable of actually fighting me. Finished him off with a 71 damage Heavy Soul Arrow (yay low Int magic!) while he once again tried to rush me like moron.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
So basically with a sorcery you just buy the best spells you can and then just pump up the INT to make them do more damage? I'm rocking tin banishment, crown of dust, and the bellowing ring already.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

gibbed posted:

It doesn't use any script magic for tooltips. Nearly everything in the table header is an <abbr> so highlighting them will show a tooltip as usual.

Yeah, I tried hovering but it turns out I was just impatient and didn't give it enough time.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is there a place to pick up a Large Club, or do I have to farm those fattys in Blighttown? I have the Great Club, but I want the Large Club too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there a place to pick up a Large Club, or do I have to farm those fattys in Blighttown? I have the Great Club, but I want the Large Club too...
Nope, they only drop from the poo knights.

• Locked thread