Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

UnquietDream posted:

Anyone know how long you usually have to wait to get the book from the Paul Kidby website? I ordered it on the 6th and I'm starting to get a little impatient but I don't want to buy another copy considering the cost of the first.

Mine came on the 22nd, apparently they send them out in the order they got the orders and they are a pretty small operation. They sent an email telling me it had been dispatched and it arrived the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

thebardyspoon posted:

Mine came on the 22nd, apparently they send them out in the order they got the orders and they are a pretty small operation. They sent an email telling me it had been dispatched and it arrived the next day.

Do you mind if I ask when you ordered it?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

UnquietDream posted:

Do you mind if I ask when you ordered it?

Probably should have said that really, mid September.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nilbop posted:

If you want to believe all people everywhere that are voting against legalizing voluntary euthanasia are doing so in order to enact a Machiavellian plot to gain utter mastery over others then there's nothing I can say to dissuade you from that aim, because you're just going to say "No but this is what they really believe." This isn't about whether it's right or wrong to allow to legalize euthanasia (it is), this is you asking me to believe that you know what people think in order to change my views on them.

This is making the assumption that all people conform to your view of them. To reiterate in my experience people who vote against euthanasia do so for a whole variety of different reasons but mostly because they are uncomfortable with the idea of having their finger on the button of allowing another person to die. That has nothing to do with control for them, and to say they're torturing people to prove a point they may not support in the first place is ludicrous.

Sorry, you are wrong and contradicting yourself. All of the "variety" of reasons come back to the exact same thing: They don't want to allow someone to do what they wish with their life. Your comment about it being a "Machiavellian plot" is ridiculous hyperbole. It's nothing complex or deep like that, it's simply people trying to force their views on others.

You even said this in your post: "they are uncomfortable with the idea of having their finger on the button of allowing another person to die." They DON'T have their finger on it. The individual does. What kind of person gets THAT uncomfortable with someone else's actions--someone else's actions which have no effect on them? Whether or not person X wants to die has ZERO affect on stranger Y.

In other words, they DO want to have their finger on the button--to keep anyone else, including the victim, from pushing it.

That's control.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 2, 2011

Hooper Struvé
Dec 15, 2004

I have had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Space Butler posted:

Was it just me, or was Fred Colon completely different in Snuff to earlier books? I haven't read many watch books in a while, but he seemed off.

I came in here to post this same thing. I'm listening to the audiobook and just this morning got to the point with Cheery and the cigar, and I was wondering why Colon's suddenly gone from "lazy and affable" to "loudmouthed racist prick".

The inconsistency in Willikins' dialogue is very noticeable in the audio as well, as Steven Briggs uses the Jeeves voice for his character which makes the occasional "ain't" and "them's as" sound even more off.

I'm enjoying the plot so far, but this characterization stuff is really sloppy and I can't think that he's doing it on purpose.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Hooper Struvé posted:

I was wondering why Colon's suddenly gone from "lazy and affable" to "loudmouthed racist prick".

Just imagine Colon as Archie Bunker, and those two things reconcile.

Also, I think this might be my new favorite Vimes book. I liked it even more than Night Watch.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I finished the book a few days ago and found it enjoyable enough, but there were a few things that bothered me. Vimes has actual superpowers now, he anticipates everything the villains do, solves everyone's problems and even seems to get the better of the Patrician at the end. The only mistake he makes in the whole book is shaking hands with the gardener. It's all a bit...fanfictiony.

Also a few of the plot threads like the Summoning Dark re-emerging and whatever the deal was with Stinky just get dropped with no real resolution. Maybe another book of Vimes struggling with his dark side wouldn't have been interesting but he could at least suffer some effects from using his ridiculous superpowers.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The summoning dark thing is kind of the "make a deal with a dark power, oh poo poo it's possessing me" cliche done in the opposite order. So it started out possessing him, he beat it but it left him changed and now he's got a part of it inside forever. Some of the conflict in the book was him using it in ways a policeman maybe shouldn't and doubting himself, like as a lie detector device since he doesn't know it's infallible.

I enjoyed it well enough but I agree with people saying Vimes seemed too on top of things, the superpowers thing would have been fine if the antagonists were threatening enough to make Vimes seem like he needed them but we basically had a Carcer light and no showdown or confrontation with any of the actual bad guys most of whom don't actually appear at all. His last few books have lacked good villains really, that always makes a book more memorable. UA had a football hooligan who Nutt basically beat both times with ease and the Cunning Man didn't leave a massive impression even though I liked ISWM.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 4, 2011

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
About the whole Vimes/Willikins stuff:

I'd agree some things seem off but not necessarily either their relationship or, well, Vimes getting his Vimes on.

In the previous book, Vimes finds out that Willikins was not always the Gentlemen's Gentleman but was a vicious, ruthless street rat just like him. This sort of knowledge has always fundamentally changed the relationship Vimes has with whoever. Six years or so later, Vimes and Willikins hang out and be themselves by themselves and, around others, revert to the Duke/Butler dynamic. Willikins has become a sergeant in Vimes' private life and that seemed plausible to me. I would like to know, though, did Willikins ever have a Sybil of his own?

As to Vimes seeming too on top of things, well, yes and no. I do think the problem stems from lacking good villains and thus never become a credible threat. On the other hand, where do you go from the Summoning Dark?

The "No" part stems from police all over are called Sammies these days and a bunch started off under Vimes. The guy has had years to come to terms with the fact that he is a very famous, powerful man whose word carries weight with everyone.

Possibly my favourite bit of Snuff was Feeney getting his proto-Vimes on at a mob and swearing in the goblin as a blatant gently caress YOU to what they wanted while Vimes looks on.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
This was the first adult Discworld book where Death doesn't appear even once. I wonder why that is? To the best of my knowledge The Wee Free Men was the only book to this point that didn't include him, and since that was a children's book that only nominally dealt with the Discworld it sort of made sense there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Colon was a loudmouthed racist prick in Jingo, too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pope Guilty posted:

Colon was a loudmouthed racist prick in Jingo, too.

I'm pretty sure he learnt something at the end of Jingo though, I've not read Snuff yet so I don't know how bad he has reverted mind you.

Nowhere Girl
Aug 17, 2006

hemp posted:

How old is Vimes as of Snuff? I make it to be around 56/57, assuming he was around 17 when he first joined the Watch. He'd have been mid-thirties when we first see him in Guards! Guards! and he's definitely grown much older since then.

This is of course all assuming that the length of time that passes between each novel corresponds to the time that passes in real life between publishing dates. It's silly to assume that with a lot of things, but with Discworld it seems to work (Young Sam, for example, has aged about six years and is described as 'almost seven', he was a baby when Thud! was published about the same length of time ago).

You can also work out several other characters relative ages using this, for example I think Nobby is... anything between eight to twelve years younger than Vimes is, Colon's something like fifteen years older and Carrot would have been about 18 in Guards! Guards!

or maybe it's all a work of fantasy and their ages aren't actually relevant or thought about, who knows

I tried working that out myself and this is what I got:

In NW Vimes goes back in time and meets his younger self, who is about 17 at the time. He had gone back in time 30 years, which would makes Vimes 47 as of the end of Nightwatch. That's the 6th book in the City Watch subseries.

It's been established that there's been about 2 years between G!G! and FoC. Contextual evidence suggests that it's a further 1.5 years between Nightwatch and T! Thud! followed NW, so based on the pacing between books subtract 1 to 1.5 year between the two, so by the end of T! Vimes is roughly in his late 40s to early 50s. I'd just go with 50.

At the end of T! Young Same was about one and a half, and at the beginning of Snuff he just turned six, so we're looking at a 4.5 year span between T! and Snuff, placing Vimes at around 54, and making the span from G!G! to curent Discworld time about 9 years.

With this (dubious) figure, we can start sorting ages for the Watchmen.

Fred Colon
He had left to join the dragoons during the events of NW, so is at least a few years older than Vimes. In FoC he was close to retirement, so at that time he was maybe almost 60. In current DW time that would place him at nearing 70.

Nobby
NW established that he's about a decade younger than Vimes. IIRC he was about 9 years old during NW. Current DW age: mid-40s.

Carrot
He was about 16 in G!G! Current DW age: About 25.

Angua
Has it been established whether to not werewolves age at the same rate as humans, or are they long-loved like vampires? She has already been in at least one relationship before meeting Carrot, and it didn't sound like a teenage romance. I always got the impression that Angua was still young relative to Vimes (as he
referred to her a as young lady), but slightly older than Carrot. She
seemed in her early 20s during the events of MaA, so current DW age should be late 20s, possibly early 30s.

Cheery
Dwarf equivalent of mid 30s? Cheery was part of the
Artificers Guild until an experiment went wrong. Her transition to
Watchman sounds very much like the career change many late 20
somethings make when it becomes obvious they won't like or aren't
suited to their current career choices long-term. I seem to recall a
Discworld quote that dwarves don't consider humans friends until after
100 years, so they live quite long. Has it ever been established what
the dwarf years :: human years ratio was? I can see Cheery being a shade past 100.

Reg Shoe
About 60 human years. Reg was a fairly young idealist during
the events of NW. He actually seemed an almost-parody of the liberal
college student stereotype. Let's put him at 20 there. Plus 30 years
since that event and another 9 since G!G!....although it's all a moot issue for Reg since he's a zombie.

Detritus and Blue John -- No data. What are the troll aging rates?

Washpot -- No data, Anyone have something to add?

Haddock -- No data.

Sally -- In T! she stated that she was in her 60s (vampire equivalent of 16 years old), so now she'd be in her 70s, and would have the appearance of someone in their late teens or early 20s.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Nowhere Girl posted:

I tried working that out myself and this is what I got:
<snip>

I agree with those numbers. To my mind, the only wrinkle is that in G!G! there is a reference to Vimes having been in the guards for ten years. When I read G!G!, I mentally REGEX that to 20 years because it fits better.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!
I think part of the odd thing about Snuff is that there doesn't seem to be an overarching purpose or theme the way the last few Vimes books have had.

It always seemed to me that Guards Guards, Men at Arms and Feet of Clay were all about Vimes moving up in the world, the Watch turning into a decent organization, and Annk-Morpork accepting non-humans as it modernizes. Night Watch and Thud! sort of felt like they were all about Vimes reckoning with himself and his dark side and sort of taking his place in history.

Snuff, I'm not so sure about. Maybe it shows Vimes finally getting comfortable with being rich and influential? Or it could be leading up to him actually retiring happily (rather than being forced out like he's always feared)?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

qa6 posted:

I think part of the odd thing about Snuff is that there doesn't seem to be an overarching purpose or theme the way the last few Vimes books have had.

It always seemed to me that Guards Guards, Men at Arms and Feet of Clay were all about Vimes moving up in the world, the Watch turning into a decent organization, and Annk-Morpork accepting non-humans as it modernizes. Night Watch and Thud! sort of felt like they were all about Vimes reckoning with himself and his dark side and sort of taking his place in history.

Snuff, I'm not so sure about. Maybe it shows Vimes finally getting comfortable with being rich and influential? Or it could be leading up to him actually retiring happily (rather than being forced out like he's always feared)?

I think it's something like that. At the start of the book, Vimes' preconceptions of nobility are challenged when Sybil actually points out valid reasons for what would seem to be arrogant behaviour (the key point here being the serving girls not being allowed to speak to guests in case of rowdyness). Midway through, Vimes is completely without authority as a cop, but is able to leverage his way through as a nobleman (which I believe was touched upon in The Fifth Elephant but ultimately discarded), and at the end Vetinari makes it clear that while it was Vimes' idea, it was Sybil and her connections that actually made it possible. But admittedly, it's more of a step towards than a complete arc of development.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

But admittedly, it's more of a step towards than a complete arc of development.

I'm looking at Snuff as Vimes coming to terms with the power and authority he has won over the years. HE's come a long way from the simple cop who was archly uncomfortable with his title new position. The last few years were filled in with exposition and Pratchett just plain telling us, but it becomes clear that Vimes may not enjoy the social circles he moves in, most of the other husbands don't either. And he's doing the job.

I'll mark Snuff as the book of Vimes' maturity. If there's time, one more book would fit in him taking an active role to work some positive change on Ankh-Morpork. Not just cleaning up and professionalizing the Watch, something major.

Nowhere Girl
Aug 17, 2006

magimix posted:

I agree with those numbers. To my mind, the only wrinkle is that in G!G! there is a reference to Vimes having been in the guards for ten years. When I read G!G!, I mentally REGEX that to 20 years because it fits better.

Based on Vimes' own musings in G!G!, I get the impression that he started out in the Watch and someone along the way moved on to the palace guards, but his disdain for bad leadership and his inability to keep his mouth closed prevented him from making real career advances there, and eventually Vetinari booted him to what remained of the night watch.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm pretty sure he learnt something at the end of Jingo though, I've not read Snuff yet so I don't know how bad he has reverted mind you.

He can't have learned that much, because he manages to drive out pretty much every single dwarf and troll from the Watch in the brief time he's in temporary charge of it in The Fifth Elephant.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Didn't he drive out everyone?
I don't remember the details, but IIRC he was the last watchman, and the rest of the watch had formed a guild. I do remember "Vimes would go spare".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blind Melon posted:

Didn't he drive out everyone?
I don't remember the details, but IIRC he was the last watchman, and the rest of the watch had formed a guild. I do remember "Vimes would go spare".

Yeah. My take wasn't that it was a species-thing. It was just Fred Colon being the worst possible choice to run the Watch.

Except for Nobby.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think that was more dude too crazed under preassure with paranoia than multi-species paranoia.

Being triggered by sugar cubes.

Detective Jam
Jan 2, 2009

qa6 posted:

It also ended too early - there were about 40 pages more after the point where the book actually ended for me and then a lot of fluff going on. Its probably because he is dictating the books now rather than writing and eyeball editing them himself however the Snuff book did seem a lot more drawn out than his other ones.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My problem with the book - I assumed that the focus was going to be about dealing the way the goblin religion has internalized the dominant attitude towards goblins as inferior, which was firmly establishing as the thing keeping them down more than specific actions by (largely unseen) slave-owning aristocrats. It's a style associated with the Witch book than the Watch books, but the whole "only you can claim your place in the universe" would have been an interesting arc and a good counterbalance to "noble aristocrat rescues the poor passive savages".

Nothing. The whole idea is completely ignored. Weird and frustrating.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The real question, is when will the next Watch book be?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

The real question, is when will the next Watch book be?

He just twittered he's about to start playing Skyrim.

We aren't getting one.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Think he'd do another Death book, especially with his recent euthanasia notoriety? A Moist "Death & Taxes" sort of thing would seem a proper continuation. The Tiffany Aching stuff pretty much has taken over for the Witches, and he's pretty much done with Rincewind as a primary character.

Of course, I'd just like to see more anything while we still have access to him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Uh. What happened to Scouting For Trolls?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was disappointed with this book. Well, more saddened. It was the first time, since the bad news, that I felt that the end might be near. Speaking of endings, the final page didn't leave me satisfied at all. I am always so excited to get to that final paragraph because it is so often hit out of the park...this time, not so much.

I agree with the comments about toilet humor and Vimes being a superhero and the general way that characters seemed a little bit different. Vetinari didn't seem as strong as usual. Willikins was just bizarre.

I am not saying I did not enjoy the book. It's a Pterry book, so yay! Better than nothing. I'd rank it in the bottom five of all his books, though. That includes carpet people and the non-discworld novels.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Megazver posted:

He just twittered he's about to start playing Skyrim.

We aren't getting one.

On the one hand, I am upset that my favorite author is dying, and also upset he won't be writing more books for me.

On the other hand, he is playing Skyrim.

Rock on, Mr. Pratchett, rock on!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I sincerly hope he makes a bad Wizard on purpose with that game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I sincerly hope he makes a bad Wizard on purpose with that game.

I believe you mean Wizzard.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

I believe you mean Wizzard.

Pretty much, though in general any of the Unseen University Wizards are easy to copy too. Just sit around a lot and eat!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
And shout Yo! while shooting fireballs from your staff...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

And shout Yo! while shooting fireballs from your staff...

Bonus points for creating a companion called Bursar who speaks nonsense and casts paralyse on himself in the middle of a fight.

Suddenly, I have the urge to learn modding in the future when I pick up Skyrim on the cheap.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

E

Country_Blumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 3, 2012

Ashendar
Oct 19, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bonus points for creating a companion called Bursar who speaks nonsense and casts paralyse on himself in the middle of a fight.

Suddenly, I have the urge to learn modding in the future when I pick up Skyrim on the cheap.

drat you all! Now i have an urge to scrap my existing char and start the game anew with wizzard type! :supaburn:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ashendar posted:

drat you all! Now i have an urge to scrap my existing char and start the game anew with wizzard type! :supaburn:

Rincewind or Ridcully Wizard gimmicks for these games are the best. And the Fallout 3/New Vegas games have an eye patch so it is only a matter of time before Cohen is complete.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Seeing as Ridcully is quite fond of yelling at stuff, he seems like the perfect fit for Skyrim:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Ridcully needs a crossbow. Preferably in his hat.
Can wizzards use crossbows in skyrim?
I'm not even going to ask about the hat thing...