Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Dr Snofeld posted:

Only in the PC version, though.

Well, you can repair from the map in the console version, there just isn't a "repair all" option like on the PC :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Are there any patches (official or community or whatever) for Gothic 3 that are must-haves? I know it was rushed to market and the series is kind of buggy by itself anyway. I'm not looking for drastic game-play changing patches or other mods like that but rather ones that fix problems or improve performance or whatever along those lines.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

DrankSinatra posted:

The 80's pop weekend on a local radio station made me really want to play GTA:Vice City [on the PS2]. Is there anything I should keep in mind vis-a-vis jankiness? Is there anything I should do or avoid doing in particular?
Don't ever save your game at the ice-cream factory. There was a bug in the PS2 version that would corrupt your save almost every time you went there.

Once you get to the point in the game where you can start buying businesses, the story may seem like it's come to a halt. At that point, you need to do all the missions for (I think) five different businesses to unlock the final missions. Some of the missions are among the hardest in the game (especially the ones for the club), so if you're having a really hard time completing them, then keep in mind they're optional and you can do another set of missions instead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anything for Little King's Story?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

osigas posted:

Just got round to playing Fable 3, are there any broken mechanics that I should be aware of like making ridiculous money in the previous games?

Make a poo poo load of money before going across the ocean...even then you can pretty much cheese the game anyway if you don't....god I hate Fable 3.

Edit: Also you only need the lightening spell gloves to make combat trivial. Upgrade them constantly and use the AOE game's over. What I'm getting at is the devs who made this game should be beaten with a rusty dildo.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 2, 2011

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Meanwhile...

If you haven't played Diablo II for a while, then you really need PlugY, the Survival Kit! It does nothing more than simply eliminates the annoying crap in the game, in particular the storage space which the expansion totally shits on with its runes and charms.

quote:

Availables features list :
- Infinite storage space in the stash (up to 4,294,967,296 personal pages!)
- Shared storage space in the stash (up to 4,294,967,296 shared pages too!)
- Enabled the ladder only runewords out of realms.
- Local World Event and Uber Quest for singleplayer and multiplayer off-realm !
- Can open Cow Level Portal even when player have kill the Cow King in that difficulty.
- Unassign assigned skills and stats points.
- Change the selected language.
- Always regenerate maps in SinglePlayer like in MultiPlayer.
- Automatically execute /players X when you launch a new game.
- Added some pages for display more characters stats like %MF.
- Display item level in its popup.
etc

http://plugy.free.fr/en/index.html

pigdog fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 2, 2011

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nate RFB posted:

Anything for Little King's Story?
Invest in health items for the first few kings.
Some of the stuff you buy have special events if you idle around the clock.
Health is randomized with class changes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pigdog posted:

If you haven't played Diablo II for a while, then you really need PlugY, the Survival Kit! It does nothing more than simply eliminates the annoying crap in the game, in particular the storage space which the expansion totally shits on with its runes and charms.

That is pretty cool and I wish I'd known about it a few years ago before I had Titan Quest and was trying, and failing, to get back into D2.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just started playing Project Sylpheed. I didn't use the tutorial at all (Perhaps I should have), but I wondered if there was anything important I should know.

I've added what I discovered to the wiki, but it's only a couple of tips.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Soooooooo.....I just went out and bought Battlefield 3, primarily for the multiplayer.

Haven't played Battlefield since high school, and mostly played COD MW1/2/BLOPS. Is there anything superimportant I should know when jumping from cod to bf online?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nekrews posted:

Soooooooo.....I just went out and bought Battlefield 3, primarily for the multiplayer.

Haven't played Battlefield since high school, and mostly played COD MW1/2/BLOPS. Is there anything superimportant I should know when jumping from cod to bf online?

Be a bit cautious(don't just sprint everywhere) and roll with a squad, roll with a squad, roll with a squad. Battlefield 3 is a team game. If you try to lone wolf it, you are always hurting your performance, and your team's performance.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
About to start playing Batman: Arkham City. Any sweet hints? I finished Asylum.

Also, I found out that Uncharted 3 was released the other day. I started playing Uncharted 1 ages ago, but heard that number 2 is a lot better. Should I skip the first game and go for 2 then 3 or play all of them? I own Uncharted 2 and borrowed the first from a friend.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Nekrews posted:

Every time you see something that even remotely resembles an enemy, press the spot button. It's a huge help in a hectic smoky firefight to have a big triangle over your enemy's head. You'll even get some points if somebody kills an enemy that you spotted.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Foxhound posted:

Also, I found out that Uncharted 3 was released the other day. I started playing Uncharted 1 ages ago, but heard that number 2 is a lot better. Should I skip the first game and go for 2 then 3 or play all of them? I own Uncharted 2 and borrowed the first from a friend.

Burn through the first one on easy or something. It's not required but it's worth it.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

DO IT TO IT posted:

Burn through the first one on easy or something. It's not required but it's worth it.

On hard the enemies have less health (but hit harder) so if you're decent at the game you can probably get through it quicker on hard.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rakanakle posted:

On hard the enemies have less health (but hit harder) so if you're decent at the game you can probably get through it quicker on hard.

No, just no. The later levels get very frustrating on higher difficulties, especially if you're playing it for the first time. Play on Normal instead. It's OK to play UC2 on hard, though. It's much easier with the exception of the last boss (who's really annoying in UC2).

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Cthulhu Saves the World: do I need to grind to stay on top of the difficulty curve?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Magic Carpet and Magic Carpet 2. Hit me.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'm looking for good co-op games to play with my girlfriend, and I recently came upon copies of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2. Are these worth pursuing, and if so, is there anything we should know going into them?

To clarify, these are the console games, and aren't listed in the wiki.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fount of knowledge posted:

I'm looking for good co-op games to play with my girlfriend, and I recently came upon copies of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2. Are these worth pursuing, and if so, is there anything we should know going into them?

To clarify, these are the console games, and aren't listed in the wiki.

They're Diablo-clones. You run through (hand crafted) dungeons killing monsters and grabbing randomized loot. Along with the Norrath games, they're some of the finest available on consoles. They use D&D-lite rules but honestly it's not complicated and the game specifically tells you how every attribute affects each other. It's a pretty straightforward game. The elf wizard begins week but late game you learn meteor swarm which is this screen-covering AOE spell that wrecks everything.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dark Alliance has 3 pretty cookie cutter dudes but Dark Alliance 2 has 6 or 7 characters, all of whom have their own plot, including their own micro plot dungeons. Both of them are fun for early 2000's hack slashers.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

GTA: San Andreas for PC
I bought the GTA bundle off Steam. Any tweaks or optimizations for the game to make it run and look better? The intro videos don't play (I hear the spraypaint sound FX but only a black screen) and I dislike the vehicle speed blur effect.

Also how do I fly planes because holy gently caress I am terribad at it.

Borderlands GOTY for PC
Anything I should know for my first playthrough?

poo poo

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Borderlands GOTY for PC
For Borderlands:
Make sure to check the stores, every time they get new stock, as they can actually spawn some really good rare weapons.

Make sure you always have a blue (shock) weapon for enemies whose entire lifebars consist of shields.

Green (corrosive) weapons come in handy a lot too.

Also, it's been a long time since I played GTA:SA, but I remember the flying making a lot more sense on a gamepad. It's hard as balls even then.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I found flying to be way easier with the gamepad than with anything else.

The setup I finally settled on was:
- KBM for walking around and driving
- gamepad for helicopters and planes
- either for boats
although SR2-style "KBM for walking, gamepad+mouse for driving, gamepad only for planes" would probably work just as well.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Borderlands GOTY for PC

Most enemies will have a critical spot. If it isn't a glowing orb on their body, it'll usually be their head/hindquarters. Don't waste bullets on part of an enemy that takes no damage.

Shock brings down shields, acid takes out armored foes, and fire will burn pretty much anything. Fire is hands down the most damaging, and finding guns with x3 and x4 incendiary can make combat a breeze. You need to keep a shock weapon at all times for shielded enemies and guardians. Corrosive doesn't really become necessary until the DLCs. Apparently explosive effects are useful against scythid, and that's about it.

If you are in a car by yourself (even in a multiplayer game) you can press a button to lock onto a target and then hold down the fire button while you circle them. This is most effective with a machine gun car, and may be your only way of taking out some of the vehicles on your own. If you have a gunner in the car, you can still fire but neither can lock on.

The first run through the game (Playthrough 1) has all enemies fixed at certain levels. When you beat it once you can do a New Game+ (Playthrough 2) where all enemy levels are fixed at a much higher cap. When you enter the final boss area during Playthrough 2, you start Playthrough 2.5 and every enemy in the game world (as well as all quests and rewards and loot) starts scaling to your level. If you find that you've overleveled and all your quests are marked as trivial, you might want to speed up the main quest then go back and do them when they've scaled to you. You should also hold off on doing the DLCs until you trigger 2.5 otherwise you'll be overleveled for most of it.

You can expand your inventory space by finding and repairing claptraps scattered in the levels. There are a set number of claptraps, and they're all guaranteed to give you a storage upgrade during Playthrough 1. During Playthrough 2, they'll all still be there but only a small number of them will have even a chance of rewarding you with a storage upgrade. The Borderlands wiki will tell you which ones. If you want lots of space, you'll have to force-close the game before it autosaves and try the quest again. This will get really tedious as most of the claptrap missions are stupid jumping puzzles.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Borderlands GOTY for PC

Other people have hit the main stuff but one can't over emphasize how good an x3 or x4 elemental weapon is. Also, watch for revolvers that have x7 flashing along with the damage - shotguns have x10 or whatever because they fire 10 little pellets, an x5 or x7 revolver does the same thing except with almost no spread and each pellet doing more damage than a shotgun pellet, so you have a chance of having absolutely ridiculous critical hits.

Lilith is arguably the best character, Roland is possibly the best for single player. Lilith's power is to go invisible, Mordecai has a bird familiar which does basically zero damage but he's still cool, Roland can deploy a turret which provides backup and can dispense ammo or healing, and Brick goes berserk and becomes invulnerable and does big melee damage.

But yeah, shoot for critical spots, get crazy loot, and have fun with it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

gohuskies posted:

Other people have hit the main stuff but one can't over emphasize how good an x3 or x4 elemental weapon is.

On top of this, if you happen to find an SMG named Hellfire, abuse the gently caress out of it. It always lists as x4 fire, but it's more like x6. Normally fire weapons aren't good against shields, but a Hellfire will rip right through them, largely because the fire damage over time effect stacks with itself, doing ridiculous amounts of damage to virtually anything.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Also for Borderlands, once you get Mordekai (the sniper) leveled up to where he completely ignores shields, you are functionally a walking god of death in the final area; this is a good way to level up a friend ridiculously quickly.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Icewind Dale 2? Hit me

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

unleash the unicorn posted:

Icewind Dale 2? Hit me

Don't go wild with the subraces during character creation. They require more XP for levelling up and picking several of them will weaken your party as a whole.

Cleric+monk sounds like an awesome combination on paper, but in my experience you'll be just half-assing both classes.

Area of effect spells are pretty awesome at damaging and debilitating enemies before starting melee combat (especially if you have a rogue able to scout ahead and lure mobs towards your party). They're the main reason why I like druids in both IWD games.

There's a forest maze section. Either grab some some pen and paper and map it out OR look up a walkthrough. Trial and error just won't work.

You don't have to fight the boss that you can spawn in the jungle section.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Napoleon Total War (no mods)
Any hints on how not to become bankrupt in the campaign despite focusing on building things that have pluses towards economies? I'm doing so badly that I'm seeing England go through several revolutions.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

WebDog posted:

Napoleon Total War (no mods)
Any hints on how not to become bankrupt in the campaign despite focusing on building things that have pluses towards economies? I'm doing so badly that I'm seeing England go through several revolutions.
If you're England, naval superiority is the way to go. You have to wipe out enemy fleets, burn their ports, and trade like crazy. What I did as England:

1. Send your best ships to clear out the trade lanes around the Iberian peninsula. Try to fight the French and Spanish separately, and capture their flagships if at all possible.

2. Churn out trade ships and take over the ports one by one, then fill them out evenly. This is where the bulk of the money comes from.

3. Leave a couple low-level military ships somewhere between the Spanish coast and your northern trade posts, and (if you took them over) a couple more near the southern trade posts. Spain would occasionally send one decent ship to harass my trade. Also, send a few spare ships to burn and blockade the Spanish ports.

4. Use a couple military ships in the channel by London, pillaging French ports and trade whenever possible.

5. Strip the garrisons. What troops you can use in a field army, keep, the rest disband.

6. Downsize field army until you get money.

7. Open trade relations with any nation that will agree to them, even if you have to pay a upfront to get them to agree (you'll make the money back in the long run). Don't bother paying a nation that truly hates you though, as they will cancel the next turn before you get a return on your investment.

8. Build and upgrade your trade ports (which increase number of trade routes between nations and the rate at which you can pump out trade ships), leaving maybe one port for military ships.

9. Congrats, you've activated easy mode. Throw together some big armies and go to town on the mainland!

Hope this helps!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Mierenneuker posted:

Cleric+monk sounds like an awesome combination on paper, but in my experience you'll be just half-assing both classes.

(Icewind Dale 2)

To expand on this, you generally don't want to multi-class spellcasting classes at all. ID2 uses 3rd edition rules rather than the second edition rules that the other Infinity Engine games use, which means that rather than your cleric/mage being a little behind the normal spell level curve, you'll actually just be locked out of the highest level spells if you do, say, 10 cleric and 10 mage levels. One level for some bonuses is generally okay (a wizard taking a single rogue level is pretty popular, since the wizard will have a high Intelligence anyway, so you'll get a lot of skill points and can buy the rogue skills for disarming traps and such, meaning you don't actually have to take a rogue; another one is a cleric with four levels of fighter who concentrates on buff spells; this can end up being more effective than a regular fighter at actual fighting) but in general if you're going to have a spellcasting character you want to keep them single class.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Icewind Dale 2? Hit me

The advice people have given already is pretty good. Let me make some class combination suggestions. Your rogue character can happily take a bunch of levels in fighter and if you equip them with a bow things will go quite well. Try not to cross class your casters. Fighter mixes well with all the combat classes. Especially barbarian for extra hitpoints. Prior to big fights buffing is important. At the start of the game fighters are the best thing but as it progresses the casters will become more and more dominant so you might want to have two casters at the start (not including the cleric) even though they will be a hinderence at the beggining. But if they can cast sleep they will be much more useful. The weird races aren't that useful especially if you lose more than 1 level.

Also a guy mentioned an annoying forest maze. If you have someone with high tracking skills or wilderness, I forget what it was called, you can use that skill to figure out where to go.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Icewind Dale 2? Hit me

One of the things I found with IWD2 is that there's a sweet spot between too many characters and too few. Six characters will have a slower time levelling, and early game that can make a lot of difference. It ultimately depends on your class setup as to what works best for you, but don't be afraid to drop down to five or even four characters.

Make sure people have a mix of talking skills, because you can't always be sure who's going to get talked to in a forced encounter and the game does do a good job of offering appropriate responses for your class and skills.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Just finished Fable III. The wiki mentions the "get your poo poo done before this day" hint, but you really aughta include the fact that some of that "poo poo" includes amassing as much money as possible through owning and renting out properties before it's too late. It's been mentioned before, but it bears repeating--the "point of no return" (if you want to call it that) is a ride on a steamship. DO NOT get on it unless your affairs are in order and your own personal finances are in the millions at least unless you don't care about the ending or your Hero is an rear end in a top hat (even then, you'll probably still want that cash on hand).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Just finished Fable III. The wiki mentions the "get your poo poo done before this day" hint, but you really aughta include the fact that some of that "poo poo" includes amassing as much money as possible through owning and renting out properties before it's too late. It's been mentioned before, but it bears repeating--the "point of no return" (if you want to call it that) is a ride on a steamship. DO NOT get on it unless your affairs are in order and your own personal finances are in the millions at least unless you don't care about the ending or your Hero is an rear end in a top hat (even then, you'll probably still want that cash on hand).

I edited the wiki!

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Rollersnake posted:

Anybody have any tips for Xenosaga? The in-game tutorial is really vague and unhelpful—for example, I still have no idea what the gently caress boosting is supposed to do or why I should use it. Also if anybody could alert me to any interesting permanently missable stuff with minimal spoilers, that would be nice.

I don't know if this is said already or not, but skip II. Play the first and the last.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Vrikkian posted:

I don't know if this is said already or not, but skip II. Play the first and the last.

Vouching for this, there's also a great in detail "previously in xenosaga" feature in Xenosaga 3 that describes the entire story of 2 so its really not needed to play at all (it is also terrible for oh so many reasons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I bought the GTA bundle off Steam. Any tweaks or optimizations for the game to make it run and look better? The intro videos don't play (I hear the spraypaint sound FX but only a black screen) and I dislike the vehicle speed blur effect.

I had played it consoles and then got it later on PC, and while flying is a bitch at the best of times it was impossible on PC (I don't have a controller). I had to quit.