Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Relaxodon posted:

Are Endermen only spawning in specific biomes? I am playing pre5 and i just cant find one even after several nights roaming about.

I've built my house on the intersection of 3 biomes: forest, mountains and desert. I watch the endermen at night from behind the safety of my glass windows, as they playfully toy with their blocks like the lost souls of children, jittering in and out of existence as if mocking the very fabric of reality itself.

I've seen them alone and in groups of four, maybe five - sometimes they come from the desert; other times I see them walking down the mountains. Most of the time I see them in the forest, half-shapes flitting between the trees like the shadows of a flickering candle.

Although I know they can't see me behind my glass, I still cannot bear to look directly at them.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serain
Mar 30, 2011
Speaking of Endermen... one time I had just got out of a large mine carrying all my diamonds and gold that I found, and I saw that the sun was setting, and I didn't want to wait it out again. I wanted to get home fast, so I quickly sprinted to my minecart tracks that I built from my house to the mine I was at. I got the minecart started up and was riding happily on the route back - when suddenly I fell down. An enderman had literally removed the block my track was on right out from under me. I landed in a pool surrounded by endermen and creepers and sprinted like my rear end was on fire the entire distance back to my house, using only my compass as a guide.

I've never ran so hard or so fast. Scared the crap out of me.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

NPCs will eventually be able to speak, perform actual functions (maybe armor repair and such?), and they'll give you quests. There's a feature freeze so we wont see any of this in next week's final "retail" version but once that's out, he'll probably start working on more NPC features and fleshing out The End better.
That's good to hear. I hadn't heard anything since the villagers were introduced, so I thought Notch might have just overlooked them. I'd prefer they do something before the release, but any update that adds features to the villagers I'm totally down with

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009
I was playing around in a world I made just for experimenting with build ideas and redstone (my 'workshop' world) and noticed an unusually large hole in the ocean floor, so I recreated the world in survival mode (same seed) and went to check it out.

It's a ravine that goes straight down to y=12.6 where it hits a large lava lake which has mostly turned to obsidian.

There is a single block in the middle of the hole fairly close to the surface that makes a convenient air tunnel so you can swim all the way down without drowning.

I've never seen such a deep crevasse accessible from the surface. It amazes me that I was building around this in creative mode for months without noticing it.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Do you normally play with all that poo poo on your screen?

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

YOURFRIEND posted:

Do you normally play with all that poo poo on your screen?

No, I had it up to show locations and seed if anyone wants to check it out themselves.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Your Lottery posted:

No, I had it up to show locations and seed if anyone wants to check it out themselves.

And with that combination of texture pack, low res, and debug stuff I'm going to have to if I want to figure out what I'm looking at. :pwn:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Install Gentoo posted:

Endermen that carry flowers. :3:

From a few pages back, but along the same lines as the 'friendly creeper', you could call these ones "Endear-men"

:smug:

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

From a few pages back, but along the same lines as the 'friendly creeper', you could call these ones "Endear-men"

And when you look at them, they blush and teleport away in shyness.

"I bought a flower and he's right there and... OH GOD HE'S LOOKING AT ME!"

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I swear that endermen have picked up blocks that had stuff on them in my world before. How else would the minecart track have moved. :spooky:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

And when you look at them, they blush and teleport away in shyness.

"I bought a flower and he's right there and... OH GOD HE'S LOOKING AT ME!"

That would actually be a really :3: mod. Endermen that plants flowers, trees and other plants near the player's spawn. I really wish I could code, because I'd make that one.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Endermen that carry flowers. :3:

One of the first Endermen I encountered on our server was doing this.

:3:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Iacen posted:

That would actually be a really :3: mod. Endermen that plants flowers, trees and other plants near the player's spawn. I really wish I could code, because I'd make that one.

"What the gently caress? I just left, why is my house completely enclosed in trees?"

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'd like to see a variant that couldn't teleport and is spawned holding a chest block. If you manage to kill it you get the contents of the chest! hurray!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
My desert area is getting lousy with cacti because the Endermen keep grabbing cactus blocks and putting them elsewhere. Kind of cool that it works like that though.

Priapus01
Oct 22, 2008
Exploring an abandoned mine and my backpack is loaded to the balls with all kinds of ore. I get a bit carried away with exploring and my last pick breaks followed shortly by my sword...

I'm so far away from home I have no idea which way to go back and there's endermen and zombies everywhere oh god oh god oh god

I have to canabalise the mine's supports to make a crafting table and then use my trusty stone tools to fight my way back to surface with no food and like 2 hearts left. Some games try so hard to be this tense and never quite get there.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Boat posted:

My desert area is getting lousy with cacti because the Endermen keep grabbing cactus blocks and putting them elsewhere. Kind of cool that it works like that though.
One of my deserts is getting lousy with cactus but I can blame that squarely on one of my players.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

fondue posted:

One of my deserts is getting lousy with cactus but I can blame that squarely on one of my players.

This took me about 10 seconds in an image editor:

I don't know if you guys play with monitors an awful lot brighter than mine or what, but if you're posting a screenshot to show something off, it might be worthwhile to make sure it's actually bright enough to see.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CaptainCaveman posted:

I don't know if you guys play with monitors an awful lot brighter than mine or what, but if you're posting a screenshot to show something off, it might be worthwhile to make sure it's actually bright enough to see.

Or they could just take the screenshot during the day. It's not like it's a picture of an endermen colony or something.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

CaptainCaveman posted:

Ah yes, the Dark Souls way of doing things: you ain't going anywhere near that portal.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

CaptainCaveman posted:

I could see it just fine, you have a poo poo monitor I suppose. :smug:

Too bad this computer can't play Minecraft. :smithicide:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JGBeagle posted:

I could see it just fine, you have a poo poo monitor I suppose. :smug:

Too bad this computer can't play Minecraft. :smithicide:

I could see it fine after I adjusted my monitor's angle and sat up. Anyone with a monitor with decent contrast should be able to make out the original picture. But the enhanced one is certainly more clear and there's a ton of people with shittier monitors who wont be able to see the original properly. Just don't take screenshots at night. There's literally no reason to unless it's of monsters. It's baffling why so many people do.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

JGBeagle posted:

I could see it just fine

Do you put on sunscreen before you sit down at your computer?

Edit: Actually this one wasn't as bad as some of the other ones people have posted before. I just don't understand why so many people post screenshots taken at night when it's anywhere from a little bit tough to impossible to make out whatever they're showing off.

Edit edit: What Dr Video Games said.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Hey, guys, I found this Tumblr blog the other day. I thought it was relevant.

http://askenderbro.tumblr.com/

I think the questions get pretty repetitive due to the fact it's tumblr, but the pictures are funny/cute enough. Also, are those Avolition griefers goons? They seem pretty goony.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

CaptainCaveman posted:

This took me about 10 seconds in an image editor:

Sorry, I liked the original as I had no problem seeing it as it was. I do have a very nice monitor.

Also, sorry it was so dark; I do bitch at other players for their pitch black screenshots. Evidence is in this thread for certain.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Christ, not this again.
I have a nice monitor too, it just doesn't have the gamma cranked up.

And regardless of your personal preference in the game or your monitor's settings, it's clear by now that not everyone uses the same gamma settings, and dark screenshots always cause this. So with an actual in-game brightness slider, there's no reason not to just take one second to make the screenshot presentable first.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

fondue posted:

What really makes the picture is the fact that you appear to have caught the player in question in the process of moving one of the cacti.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Beekeeping and You posted:

Hey, guys, I found this Tumblr blog the other day. I thought it was relevant.

http://askenderbro.tumblr.com/

I think the questions get pretty repetitive due to the fact it's tumblr, but the pictures are funny/cute enough. Also, are those Avolition griefers goons? They seem pretty goony.

Enderbro is pretty adorable, thanks for sharing this. :3:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Dartonus posted:

What really makes the picture is the fact that you appear to have caught the player in question in the process of moving one of the cacti.
Thanks! I just took another picture ... during the daytime. He's been busy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So was he planning on making that entire area as packed together as around the portal or did he decide after a while that he was dying to his own cactuses too much

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fondue posted:

Thanks! I just took another picture ... during the daytime. He's been busy.

That man is either crazy, OCD, really really bored, or all of the above.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

MikeJF posted:

In my experience, this is the only way to build anything on goonimati. Something that would be so incredibly tedious to rip down, and so ugly in its original state anyways, that nobody would bother to do so.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

MikeJF posted:

Aspergers is a hell of a thing.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Vargs posted:

In my experience, this is the only way to build anything on goonimati. Something that would be so incredibly tedious to rip down, and so ugly in its original state anyways, that nobody would bother to do so.

Pretty much this. When I played there, my base was just above bedrock, and only accessible by a ladder under 1 randomly chosen block on a tiny 4x5 island in the middle of the ocean.

Good times though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What, is Goonmati some sort of 'kill everything/griefer's heaven' server?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I've built my house on the intersection of 3 biomes: forest, mountains and desert. I watch the endermen at night from behind the safety of my glass windows, as they playfully toy with their blocks like the lost souls of children, jittering in and out of existence as if mocking the very fabric of reality itself.

I've seen them alone and in groups of four, maybe five - sometimes they come from the desert; other times I see them walking down the mountains. Most of the time I see them in the forest, half-shapes flitting between the trees like the shadows of a flickering candle.

Although I know they can't see me behind my glass, I still cannot bear to look directly at them.

:golfclap:

The cubism of Minecraft is causing problems with creating a large crashed ship that's cracked in half. Hmmm.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

The cubism of Minecraft is causing problems with creating a large crashed ship that's cracked in half. Hmmm.

I'd suggest keeping the front half upright & "beached" with the balk half broken off and at a 45 degree downward angle. That way you can make liberal use of wooden stairs to sort of smooth out the upper surfaces and keep them walkable.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What, is Goonmati some sort of 'kill everything/griefer's heaven' server?
We only have two rules on the server; No client mods such as xray/flying/speed allowed, and don't do anything to make an admins life difficult.

People build things all of the time, and they get destroyed. Honestly, though, it's a really safe server - traffic has died down for the past month and so you hardly get any PvP anymore. Add to that the server map is large and there are multiple worlds and there you have it. You could very easily never see anyone for weeks.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
What server specs do you guys have that run multiple worlds on one server?

I've got my MineOS CRUX server running (yay!) and want to have a world for IRL friends and another for goon friends. Right now it's just a test world. At most there would be maybe 5 people on at one time. Spec is single-core Pentium 4 (maybe 2.8GHz clock speed) with 4GB RAM. Nothing else runs on the machine, it's strictly for MineOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Boat posted:

I'd suggest keeping the front half upright & "beached" with the balk half broken off and at a 45 degree downward angle. That way you can make liberal use of wooden stairs to sort of smooth out the upper surfaces and keep them walkable.

This is partially what I'm doing. The front is partially beached (yay, artistic furrows) but what's catching me up is the cubist perspective of the ship being at a ~15 angle. I've got it stepping down across some dirt for the first bit of the front half which looks pretty good, but it feels like I could be doing things better. Especially since the inside decks are a bit of a pain to navigate.

I'm thinking I may have to shatter it more to make it functional as a house (the original intent) and not such a bitch to putter about in. The back half I haven't even started, it being half in a swamp and half in an ocean (gently caress planning! :v:) so that'll be a whole 'nother barrel of laughs.