Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

nolen posted:

Finally finished my first non-plush project in a long while.

I made everything from scratch, including the straps.

First time working with vinyl and it was not pleasant. Two broken needles, a do-over, and figuring out how to press a vinyl seam without destroying the thing.

My god that makes me want to go out and buy a surger /right now/. The inside seams on my bag came out so poorly compared to yours ;_;

Awesome job. I want a dinosaur purse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

nolen posted:

Finally finished my first non-plush project in a long while.

I made everything from scratch, including the straps.

First time working with vinyl and it was not pleasant. Two broken needles, a do-over, and figuring out how to press a vinyl seam without destroying the thing.

I want to squidge its back plates! :neckbeard:

Stegosaurus was my favourite dinosaur as a kid. I don't think I would carry that handbag though... maybe if I was a science teacher or worked in the natural history museum.

That said, I think adding little dangling legs would push me into cute overdrive.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

So, I've been sewing since I was in middle school (in grad school now) but I've only ever used a normal sewing machine. A couple of years ago I bought a serger from a woman on craigslist but I have pretty much no idea how to use it. I'm pretty sure that the blade that cuts off the fabric on the side of the seam needs to be sharpened because when I tried to use in on some test fabric it didn't cut anything. Am I doing something wrong? Here are some pictures of it and the model number and stuff.

Question two: I'd like to make a dress like this:

and I have this beautiful kimono silk but it's totally non-stretch. My plan was to put elastic at the waist like described in the pattern but also just a zipper on the side to deal with the non-stretch-ness. Does this seem reasonable or should I just find a different pattern?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Find a different pattern. There are so many out there you'll be able to find one that's what you like using wovens with little trouble.

leradny
Aug 26, 2011
okiecompy: I'd suggest splitting the front or back piece in two for fasteners like buttons or a zipper. It's not that hard, and it's a lot cheaper than just buying a new pattern every time you need to account for the fabric.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Anyone have tips for sewing spandex? Halloween time means superhero costumes :3

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

teknicolor posted:

Anyone have tips for sewing spandex? Halloween time means superhero costumes :3

Since nobody's answered this, I'll toss my two cents worth in. It's been awhile since I've worked with spandex so I don't remember much except:

Use a medium-narrow zigzag stitch for all seams to allow for stretching, and don't fold the seam edges back from each other on the inside like most other clothes, instead fold both edges one way then top-stitch it down to prevent skin peek-through; reinforce any bendy parts, like elbows and knees (unless it's a one-use costume and/or you don't care if it sags a little by the end of the night); and I think I had to use a fairly small gauge needle and smooth non-cotton thread to avoid snags.

Hope that helps.

I'm going through some old photos so if I find a pic of my jester costume I'll post it (don't hold your breath though).

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Should I be using a ball-point needle?

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

teknicolor posted:

I think that might depend on the actual fabric content you choose. If you haven't already bought the fabric, ask at the place where you do buy it which needle is best. Of you could google it. I don't think I ever used one, but I've only sewn a few stretchy garments, so my expertise is limited.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I would use a ball-point needle, but I don't have a ton of experience so maybe someone who knows their poo poo can chime in.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

teknicolor posted:

Spandex might be slippery enough so that you can use a regular/universal needle without cutting through too many threads. If you want to play it safe you should use a ball-point needle instead.

That being said, I would strongly recommend using a stabilizer under the spandex in which case you will have to go back to a universal needle anyway.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Short version: I want some water resistant fabric or a way to make some fabric water resistant (like fleece.) Ideally brown colors, or other colors or sedate patterns suitable for a monkey. I'm hoping I can accomplish this cheaply.

Longer version:I want to make my neighborhood hobo a monkey hat, because he's awesome and winter is coming. The pattern I have in mind suggests fleece, and has an outside and a lining. Given that the dude spends hours at a time out in the rain and doesn't exactly have a warm house to dry his hat in at the end of the day it might be better to use something else on the outside. I'm hoping for suggestions. I don't know if there is a way to make the fleece more water repellent? Would it be better to try to use another fabric like outdoor canvas or something along those lines? What kind of waterproofing options do I have.

I've thought about laminated fabrics; but I haven't seen anything in a color/pattern that would work well. Plus most of it seems to be slightly more expensive, and I've never worked with that fabric type before.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

This is kind of a long shot but I thought I'd at least try . . . I'm not an actual, uh, sew-y person so forgive me if my questions are stupid but I wanted to see if you guys had any advice on a little project I was thinking about doing.

Basically, I just got a new wool (well, mostly wool) coat. The only problem with it are two decorative buckles on the front. They're crummy fake leather and after using them a few times they're already cracking apart. The coat is otherwise nice, I have no idea why they'd put such junky things on it. Anyway, I wanted to replace them myself with some nice toggles.

Now my questions:
1) I'm assuming I'd basically just need a strong needle and any old thread to do this? The main problem is that the coat's lined so I'd have to either stitch through the whole thing or somehow maneuver the needle in and out of the first layer without going through the second. Are there any tools/needles to make this kind of thing easier?

2) Where the hell do I find complete toggles (big fat end part, cord and leather tab)? Am I just going to have to hope I can find someone on Etsy that will make them for me? I can find the big end buttons but that's about it.

This is probably a dumb thing to ask about but it's something I'm going to wear every day until it gets warm again so I'd prefer it to not be a total hack job.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

HondaCivet posted:

This is kind of a long shot but I thought I'd at least try . . . I'm not an actual, uh, sew-y person so forgive me if my questions are stupid but I wanted to see if you guys had any advice on a little project I was thinking about doing.

Basically, I just got a new wool (well, mostly wool) coat. The only problem with it are two decorative buckles on the front. They're crummy fake leather and after using them a few times they're already cracking apart. The coat is otherwise nice, I have no idea why they'd put such junky things on it. Anyway, I wanted to replace them myself with some nice toggles.

Now my questions:
1) I'm assuming I'd basically just need a strong needle and any old thread to do this? The main problem is that the coat's lined so I'd have to either stitch through the whole thing or somehow maneuver the needle in and out of the first layer without going through the second. Are there any tools/needles to make this kind of thing easier?

2) Where the hell do I find complete toggles (big fat end part, cord and leather tab)? Am I just going to have to hope I can find someone on Etsy that will make them for me? I can find the big end buttons but that's about it.

This is probably a dumb thing to ask about but it's something I'm going to wear every day until it gets warm again so I'd prefer it to not be a total hack job.

For 1), a thimble. And make sure your needle is strong. I've had broken needles lodged in my fingers because I didn't do those things when hand-sewing thick material.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
You should be able to find both ends of a toggle in the notions aisle of a fabric store. Most of them are some kind of cord loop. You might also consider heavy duty thread and a needle with a curve to it. Curved needles might make it easier to go through the top level.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Comrade Quack posted:

You should be able to find both ends of a toggle in the notions aisle of a fabric store. Most of them are some kind of cord loop. You might also consider heavy duty thread and a needle with a curve to it. Curved needles might make it easier to go through the top level.

Any suggestions as far as stores? I'm just looking online right now at a couple of places but I'm not seeing any toggles besides the little jewelry kind.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Just about any Fabric store should have some, especially Joann and Hancock Fabrics.

I see some on the Joann website labeled as "Frog" which is a term I've never heard of. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3260&PRODID=prd34733

Honestly unless you don't live close it's probably easier to go to a store and look for them. A lot of times they won't be with the buttons, but with the notions (pins, snaps, eyelets, etc)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Comrade Quack posted:

Short version: I want some water resistant fabric or a way to make some fabric water resistant (like fleece.) Ideally brown colors, or other colors or sedate patterns suitable for a monkey. I'm hoping I can accomplish this cheaply.

Longer version:I want to make my neighborhood hobo a monkey hat, because he's awesome and winter is coming. The pattern I have in mind suggests fleece, and has an outside and a lining. Given that the dude spends hours at a time out in the rain and doesn't exactly have a warm house to dry his hat in at the end of the day it might be better to use something else on the outside. I'm hoping for suggestions. I don't know if there is a way to make the fleece more water repellent? Would it be better to try to use another fabric like outdoor canvas or something along those lines? What kind of waterproofing options do I have.

I've thought about laminated fabrics; but I haven't seen anything in a color/pattern that would work well. Plus most of it seems to be slightly more expensive, and I've never worked with that fabric type before.

Try using wool- with a tight weave it's fairly water repellent and can feel warm even when it is wet. A cheap option would be finding old wool sweaters at a thrift store and cutting them up, you could also try making it out of wool socks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

madlilnerd posted:

Try using wool- with a tight weave it's fairly water repellent and can feel warm even when it is wet. A cheap option would be finding old wool sweaters at a thrift store and cutting them up, you could also try making it out of wool socks.

I'd stay away from wool. It's remarkably water repellent up to a point, but as soon as it gets past that point, it's completely saturated and takes forever to dry out.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
Lol wool is not a water repellent. Go look up what WW1 soldiers had to deal with if ya don't believe it. The best water-wicking fabric I've used has been under-armour for snowboarding, hiking, etc.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
No, actually, it is. It won't hold up if you're standing in pouring rain literally all day but it's one of the best fibers for water resistance in normal use.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I wound up at the fabric store asking an employee. Her suggestion: The brown costume pleather/vinyl that was on sale. The employee that cut it for me asked if I was making a rain slicker.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Would gentle melting with an iron change pale cheap fake fur into something that more resembles sheepskin? It's for a really half assed Halloween costume.

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN
Maybe, but if you try it, be sure to put wax paper or parchment between it and your iron, or else you'll have a burned, sticky, goopy mess on your iron's face.

I'd suggest running it through the dryer on the hottest setting for a cycle. It (in my experience) makes the fibers shorten and get kinky/wavy, without melting them together.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I got lazy and just sewed it on as is (it was shedding like crazy and I didn't want to wreck the tumble drier), but I think it still gave the effect I was going for, and kept my hands warm!

Ignore my stupid pouty face, it's the best shot of my jacket.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I made my niece's Halloween costume this year and while it's nothing like some of the stuff in this thread, I'm still pretty proud. It's only my second garment, the first being her costume from last year.

I used a pattern for the top, but had to modify the fit, shape, and construction method (with some help from madlilnerd's futuristic tampon). I also used a pattern for the bag with no modifications. The skirt was all me, though. I would have made it a touch longer, but her mom really wanted it to fall above her feet so she didn't trip, which she still managed to do 4 times that night. It's not a marvel of tailoring or anything, but I was still proud of myself, it fit, and the kid loved it. It's going to be a while before I decide to sew sequins on anything else, though. So much hand stitching...

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Unoriginal posted:

I made my niece's Halloween costume this year and while it's nothing like some of the stuff in this thread, I'm still pretty proud. It's only my second garment, the first being her costume from last year.

I used a pattern for the top, but had to modify the fit, shape, and construction method (with some help from madlilnerd's futuristic tampon). I also used a pattern for the bag with no modifications. The skirt was all me, though. I would have made it a touch longer, but her mom really wanted it to fall above her feet so she didn't trip, which she still managed to do 4 times that night. It's not a marvel of tailoring or anything, but I was still proud of myself, it fit, and the kid loved it. It's going to be a while before I decide to sew sequins on anything else, though. So much hand stitching...

You did a great job and your niece is adorable. Now I miss my own 2 nieces who I haven't seen in two years (they live far away).

Seriously though, for only your second garment, you did a really good job. My second garment literally fell apart the first time I wore it (on stage of all places).

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Pheeets posted:

You did a great job and your niece is adorable. Now I miss my own 2 nieces who I haven't seen in two years (they live far away).

Seriously though, for only your second garment, you did a really good job. My second garment literally fell apart the first time I wore it (on stage of all places).

Thats my biggest fear. I worry constantly that stitches will come undone, or something will happen to the things I make and /I won't be there to fix it/ and then I worry for days and days and days and days and days and I think it might be OCD.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I am trying to find a decent pattern for men's slippers but I am having very little luck. I found one that I definitely would use, but apparently it was discontinued and I can't find a place that actually sells it. I found a craftstylish.com tutorial that uses the pattern, but all the seller links are dead and I am not crafty enough to whip up a pattern from pictures alone.

Do any of you know how I can get my hands on a copy of the "Homespun Slipper pattern from Favorite Things" pattern? Or can you recommend a pattern that is similar to the pointed out pair?

edit:
I just realized that the cutting board in the background of the tutorial is the exact same as one my boyfriend has, so I can sort of figure out the dimensions of the different pieces. I am still open to purchasing a similar pattern, but for now I am going to attempt to recreate it. Wish me luck!

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 4, 2011

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Unoriginal posted:

Adorable! I love the bottom of the skirt, it really does look like a tail. Excellent job on your second garment (and glad the silly tampon drawing helped!).

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I had such a fun time making it, I might actually attempt my own costume next year. I haven't dressed up in forever, but now I want to sew a rainbow unicorn princess dress or something. Heh.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I am new to this whole sewing thing so please be patient with me. :ohdear: Last time I sewed on a sewing machine I was in 7th grade (about 7-8 years ago). I picked up crocheting a year ago and greatly enjoy making my own things. I have been playing with the idea of getting a sewing machine and I was planning on doing a bunch of research. But.. then I saw this sewing machine on craigslist for $145 and for some reason i needed to have it:

I didn't want to not get it and regret it, so I emailed the people and did some research while I waited for them to respond. From my little bit of research it seemed like a good deal? It is missing one part (which I am not 100% sure which part it is? The guy said it is some part that connects the pedal area to the actual sewing machine) I picked it up today and now its job is to sit and be pretty in my room until I get the time to figure out the part, find the part, learn to sew using it etc.

So basically what I am wondering is: Did I make a stupid decision in getting this sewing machine? Was it a decent deal? Do you have any idea on how to figure out what the part is that I am missing/where to find it? And lastly for when it is functional again, are there any good resources online that I can use to learn to sew using a treadle machine?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Is it missing the belt?

Also, sewing with a treadle is no different from sewing with any other machine. Treadle machines are the same machine as motor-driven or hand-cranked, the only difference is what turns the crank.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

cryingscarf posted:

So basically what I am wondering is: Did I make a stupid decision in getting this sewing machine? Was it a decent deal? Do you have any idea on how to figure out what the part is that I am missing/where to find it? And lastly for when it is functional again, are there any good resources online that I can use to learn to sew using a treadle machine?

As far as I am concerned this is a fantastic deal and I am extremely envious of you. The last time I saw a full table like that it was probably twice the price you paid, and not in as good condition - so I think you should feel good about your find.

As for getting it working - you should check that the main mechanism is working. The simple way to do this is to grab that big wheel on the right side of the machine and slowly rotate it with your hand. Does the needle part move up and down? Rotate the wheel a few times (don't force it if it seems to stick or jam) Listen for anything that sounds like grinding, sharp clicks, or catch in the movement. Basically it should turn in a nice smooth motion and make a kind of 'shu-cah shu-cah' noise as it goes up and down.

You are definitely missing the drive belt - this would have been basically like a big rubber band that would wrap around the small, covered wheel on the machine, go through the holes in the table, and wrap around one of wheels underneath. This is what lets you use the treadle to drive the machine. The good news is that even if you can't find the exact part, this is probably the easiest thing about a machine to jury-rig. Treadle machines were really popular in Kenya, and I've seen people use everything from cut-and-sewn fan belts, strips of inner tube, and lengths of surgical tubing. I would look online for what the most common replacemnt is - a lot of people will have needed to replace these, because the rubber will decay and crack if left alone, and wear out if in use.

Congratulations on your find!

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Thank you! That makes me happy that I did not make a mistake in buying it.

It moves smoothly as far as I can tell when I turn the wheel on the machine. The one thing I am a little concerned about is that when I use the foot thing, the wheel on the bottom turns and every couple of seconds sounds like it rubs or grinds against something as it turns. Any idea what this could be and how I could fix it? Could it be metal scraping where the belt is supposed to be? I can get a video of the sound if that would help.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

cryingscarf posted:

Thank you! That makes me happy that I did not make a mistake in buying it.

It moves smoothly as far as I can tell when I turn the wheel on the machine. The one thing I am a little concerned about is that when I use the foot thing, the wheel on the bottom turns and every couple of seconds sounds like it rubs or grinds against something as it turns. Any idea what this could be and how I could fix it? Could it be metal scraping where the belt is supposed to be? I can get a video of the sound if that would help.

Turn it slowly and stop as soon as you hear the noise. Inspect it to see if you can find what rubs.

Also, just to be safe, a reminder to only turn the sewing machine wheel towards yourself. You can really mess up the linkage if you turn it backwards.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm one of those awkwardly tall/skinny people who can't find pants. I've finally decided, that, if the clothing industry won't give me properly fitting jeans, then I imagine I'll just have to make them myself. Luckily, I have a lovely old Elna to do so on. Unfortunately, the last time I sewed was in 8th grade. I realize that, realistically, I probably won't be able to jump straight to making jeans (and certainly not to making jeans that anyone would want to wear). So, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions going into this project, maybe some patterns to start out on, some skills to practice etc. Also, if anyone knows where to find a pattern for slim-fitting men's jeans, that would be lovely.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back to badger you guys with more questions along the way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

foutre posted:

I'm one of those awkwardly tall/skinny people who can't find pants. I've finally decided, that, if the clothing industry won't give me properly fitting jeans, then I imagine I'll just have to make them myself. Luckily, I have a lovely old Elna to do so on. Unfortunately, the last time I sewed was in 8th grade. I realize that, realistically, I probably won't be able to jump straight to making jeans (and certainly not to making jeans that anyone would want to wear). So, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions going into this project, maybe some patterns to start out on, some skills to practice etc. Also, if anyone knows where to find a pattern for slim-fitting men's jeans, that would be lovely.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back to badger you guys with more questions along the way.

I haven't started making pants yet, but in the meantime I took in the waist on my jeans. I just did simple darts centered above the back pockets so it's not invisible, but it was quick and most people don't notice, especially since I usually don't tuck a shirt into jeans.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

foutre posted:

So, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions going into this project, maybe some patterns to start out on, some skills to practice etc. Also, if anyone knows where to find a pattern for slim-fitting men's jeans, that would be lovely.

Book recommendation. It's somewhat advanced material and the author likes to ramble:
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Trousers-Men-Women-Multimedia/dp/1589234499

Just like Stultus I have only added darts and changed the hem though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Doesn't that make your waistband super bulky? I have a bunch of skirts I really want to take in, but I was under the impression that I'd have to remove the waist band, take in the darts, then readjust the length of the waistband and resew it on.