Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I really loved Les enfants terribles, and I'd like to pick up another Jean-Pierre Melville. The one's I'm most interested in are Le Samourai and Army of Shadows. Is there a clear winner here?

I'd go with Army of Shadows but they''re both very good. However, you should know neither is anything like Les enfants terribles, at all, nor is anything else in his filmography. That one is all Jean Cocteau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Le Samourai is one of the only proper uses of a fedora in cinema I know (the other being Indiana Jones). To paraphrase Blue Velvet, "he's so loving SUAVE!"

Army of Shadows is not as suave, but is extremely effective as a tense spy tale. I liked it enough to upgrade to the blu after I bought it on DVD (and waited two years before actually watching it... Criterion punished my movie sloth).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Are the differences in picture quality between a Criterion DVD and a Criterion Blu-ray great enough that I should wait until I have a Blu-ray player to buy House?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Are the differences in picture quality between a Criterion DVD and a Criterion Blu-ray great enough that I should wait until I have a Blu-ray player to buy House?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews48/hausu.htm

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Picked up Island of Lost Souls, The Great Dictator, and The Complete Jean Vigo. Can't wait to watch 'em, especially the Jean Vigo set.

Also, I had Videodrome in my hand, but I put it down. Can anyone who has it tell me if it's worth upgrading from the DVD?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Also, I had Videodrome in my hand, but I put it down. Can anyone who has it tell me if it's worth upgrading from the DVD?

You should compare the screenshots from DVDBeaver. They review most of Criterion's releases.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare5/videodrome.htm

dvd =
blu =

dvd =
blu =

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So here is my haul (all Blu-Ray):

Fanny and Alexander
Three Colors Trilogy
Close-Up
High and Low
Diaboliques

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 5, 2011

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I really loved Les enfants terribles, and I'd like to pick up another Jean-Pierre Melville. The one's I'm most interested in are Le Samourai and Army of Shadows. Is there a clear winner here?

'Leon Morin, Priest' is probably the closest to Les Enfants Terribles of any of his movies. It's got the same sort of extreme sexual tension and impossible love thing going on. And it's not a heist or a noir or anything.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

kaujot posted:

Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses is a dud, but still mildly interesting. The rest of the stuff in the set, though, is awesome.

I've heard this from several people and I'm sort of curious why people seem so hostile to it. I like '...Meet Moses' quite a lot, and sort of feel like it's a successful blend of the deadpan slapstick of '...Go America' and the more bleak, bathetic humor of the Proletariat Trilogy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews48/hausu.htm

I actually looked there first. The problem is that the DVD they're using for the comparisons isn't the Criterion edition.

Basically I'm asking because the Criterion DVD transfers are far better than what you typically see. And Blu-ray players tend to have DVD upconversion. So considering these things I'm wondering if the Blu-ray will really be that much better. I know that in general they are.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Archyduke posted:

I've heard this from several people and I'm sort of curious why people seem so hostile to it. I like '...Meet Moses' quite a lot, and sort of feel like it's a successful blend of the deadpan slapstick of '...Go America' and the more bleak, bathetic humor of the Proletariat Trilogy.

Just watched 'Meet Moses' last night, and didn't like it very much. There are some laugh-out-loud moments but I felt like it lacked the charm and feel-good vibe of 'Go America', which has become an instant favorite of mine. I could watch that movie 100 times.

Also, I think a lot of 'Meet Moses' went over my head. I don't really know much about the Old Testament so I didn't get most of those references, and I didn't understand why he stole the statue's nose, etc.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CPL593H posted:

I actually looked there first. The problem is that the DVD they're using for the comparisons isn't the Criterion edition.

Basically I'm asking because the Criterion DVD transfers are far better than what you typically see. And Blu-ray players tend to have DVD upconversion. So considering these things I'm wondering if the Blu-ray will really be that much better. I know that in general they are.

Of course they are. The question then is how big your TV is if you're having trouble justifying a blu-ray purchase.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cacator posted:

Of course they are. The question then is how big your TV is if you're having trouble justifying a blu-ray purchase.

The problem is that I don't have a Blu-ray player and I want to take advantage of the sale going on right now. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy the DVD and worry about the rest later or get the Blu-ray and wait a while. It's not like I want to watch this on a 19 inch CRT television. For the most part I've stopped making any video purchases at all because I'm just going to wait on getting the Blu-ray. But I really want to see House again.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 5, 2011

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Yes they still are.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

The problem is that I don't have a Blu-ray player and I want to take advantage of the sale going on right now. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy the DVD and worry about the rest later or get the Blu-ray and wait a while. It's not like I want to watch this on a 19 inch CRT television. For the most part I've stopped making any video purchases at all because I'm just going to wait on getting the Blu-ray. But I really want to see House again.

Basic Blu-Ray players aren't that expensive anymore.

If you have your computer hooked up to your TV, you can watch House on Hulu Plus with their free trial to hold you over.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

codyclarke posted:

Just watched 'Meet Moses' last night, and didn't like it very much. There are some laugh-out-loud moments but I felt like it lacked the charm and feel-good vibe of 'Go America', which has become an instant favorite of mine. I could watch that movie 100 times.

Also, I think a lot of 'Meet Moses' went over my head. I don't really know much about the Old Testament so I didn't get most of those references, and I didn't understand why he stole the statue's nose, etc.

I guess I like the more down-beat and acerbic feeling of 'Moses,' although I'll agree it isn't really anywhere near as good as 'Go America.' I also, really, really liked Andre Wilms in it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Basic Blu-Ray players aren't that expensive anymore.

If you have your computer hooked up to your TV, you can watch House on Hulu Plus with their free trial to hold you over.

My internet connection is hilariously terrible. So that's a no go. I decided I'll just grab the blu-ray and hold onto it.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Friedpundit posted:

House makes for a great drinking game too. I've done it a couple times and the farther you get into the movie, the more drunk and confused your friends get.

The rules we use:
-Every time you hear the theme song.
-Every time one of the girls fulfills her stereotype. (Professor is smart, Kung Fu does kung fu, etc.)
-Every time the cat does magic.
-Every time someone reacts to the movie in confusion, befuddlement, or general 'WTF' responses, that person must take a drink.

I did this tonight, and it was a blast. Thanks!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sheldrake posted:

I did this tonight, and it was a blast. Thanks!

So how many people died of alcohol poisoning?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

CPL593H posted:

So how many people died of alcohol poisoning?

Not as many as I would have expected. I went through three beers, and that was just from sipping for every drink. We're pretty sure the 'drink every time the cat meows' variant would have sent us to the hospital, especially when the cat starts singing the theme song.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
So I finally got around to watching the theatrical version of Fanny & Alexander, and was wondering how it compares to the television version. I'm on the fence about getting the bluray set when it comes out Tuesday, because even though I enjoyed it a lot, I don't have a great urge to watch it again any time soon. How much more does the TV version add, and is it enough to justify getting box set? Also, how are the documentary and bonus features; the Peter Cowie commentary specifically?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Hector Beerlioz posted:

So I finally got around to watching the theatrical version of Fanny & Alexander, and was wondering how it compares to the television version. I'm on the fence about getting the bluray set when it comes out Tuesday, because even though I enjoyed it a lot, I don't have a great urge to watch it again any time soon. How much more does the TV version add, and is it enough to justify getting box set? Also, how are the documentary and bonus features; the Peter Cowie commentary specifically?

The full television version is perfection. I watch the film once a year (usually around Christmas) and it never fails to completely absorb me. The set is one of Criterion's "film school in a box" efforts. Not a bit of fluff, if you ask me.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
For what it's worth, I wasn't that high on Fanny and Alexander the first time I saw it. I watched the theatrical version first. But it shortly became my favorite film after seeing the television version. I also watch it once a year around Christmas. It adds an incredible amount of depth to the story, especially with Isak's family. The commentary is fine, though nothing special from what I recall. It was done along with the theatrical version, I guess because Cowie didn't want to talk for five hours, which is certainly understandable. The documentary is great. The booklet is great. It's worth the price of the box set if you have the money to spend.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Fanny and Alexander still feels too short at 312 minutes. One of the few films/shows I can say that about.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, the theatrical version is all right but the television version is astounding, totally worth your purchase.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Just finished watching Häxan; I think the devil character is maybe the best representation of Satan I've ever seen in film. I wonder if a blu-ray release would do a whole lot; can you really enhance a silent film much?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Pfirti86 posted:

Just finished watching Häxan; I think the devil character is maybe the best representation of Satan I've ever seen in film. I wonder if a blu-ray release would do a whole lot; can you really enhance a silent film much?

Oh yes.

Popeadactyl
Jul 28, 2009

dumb and gay
Picked up the Gomorrah and The Thin Red Line tonight, pumped. Barnes and Noble has a great selection, a lot of them were 50% off also

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pfirti86 posted:

Haxan is one of the lucky silent films to have a surviving camera negative, so it would be a prime Blu candidate. Plus, silent films were generally shot full aperture, so there's more image resolution available than a sound film from the 1930s or 1940s.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Picked up on blu-ray:

The Seventh Seal
Island of Lost Souls
The Killing
The Phantom Carriage

I'm sure that won't be the last of it.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet
I just finished watching Häxan for the first time as well, and while I loved the imagery, there were tons of moments when the music didn't fit the scene at all. Wikipedia says that a bunch of other composers have written soundtracks to the film, and I was wondering if anyone had heard an alternative soundtrack for Häxan and had an opinion on it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Four out of four goons agree. Thanks guys, I'll defiantly be picking Fanny and Alexander up now!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A sneak peek at a couple of the February announcements

Hoop Dreams
A Night to Remember

And there was also this on their FB page:

Apparently confirmed as a shot from Sans Soleil

Three reissues seems like a lot for one month, and probably only ANTR would be a significant upgrade. I wouldn't buy any of these. I do love Hoop Dreams but I've already seen it three times.

And here's some photos of the Three Colors packaging.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FitFortDanga posted:

Christ that is a beautiful package.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some new Beaver reviews:

12 Angry Men
Fanny and Alexander

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Christmas certainly comes early. Thank you B&N! Can't wait for next week.

Also, would Hoop Dreams would be worth the double dip? I'm thinking not so much. Although it's one of those situations where even if the Wire wouldn't benefit all that much from blu-ray - I'd still double dip in a heartbeat.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 8, 2011

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

FitFortDanga posted:

Hoop Dreams
Also, Hoop Dreams was shot on video. I was under the impression that video didn't transfer all that well to HD.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Got a boner.

FitFortDanga posted:

12 Angry Men

Got a double boner.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Apparently confirmed as a shot from Sans Soleil

I may be in the minority but a big gently caress yes to that. I've long been hoping they would upgrade it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hoop Dreams is probably just a second pressing with a Wacky-C cover (like Beastie Boys Anthology). The DVD does use the "FilmLook" processed version, which is progressive and 4x3.

Rushmore: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rushmore-Blu-ray/28094/#Review
(This is my least favorite of Wes Anderson's films, but that's a huge jump in quality.)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 8, 2011