Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
If anyone needs to kill O&S on 360 and is within the range of a level 53 I'm Pitilesskiller and I will almost certainly rape them in whichever order you see fit. Just hit up that Sunbro sign for some jolly cooperation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Tomb of the Giants is honestly a LOT easier once you get used to it. I find I get killed more now in Duke's Archives or the dragon leg bit of Lost Izalith than I do in the Tomb.
I die more in Duke's Archives but it's way less annoying. Sunlight Maggot makes Tomb of the Giants a cakewalk, though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Crowbear posted:

No he's right. Killing Ceaseless Discharge will drain the lava from Demon Ruins.

I think of it more as hardening the lava than draining it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I love how Dusk basically tells you that your use of magic is utterly barbaric in the nicest way possible.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

SgtSteel91 posted:

I think of it more as hardening the lava than draining it.

The lava level goes down when you kill Ceaseless Discharge. Molten rock doesn't condense THAT much when it cools. Plus there's still a bunch of lava splattered all over, so it didn't do much good if it was just cooling it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

sentrygun posted:

The lava level goes down when you kill Ceaseless Discharge. Molten rock doesn't condense THAT much when it cools.

This is completely true. It doesn't just go down a bit, either, it drops a lot.

Alright guys I'm gonna go pound some clam until I can +5 my black knight shield. :smithicide:

If there were other knight shields I'd +5 them too. :smithicide:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

doomfunk posted:

This is completely true. It doesn't just go down a bit, either, it drops a lot.

Alright guys I'm gonna go pound some clam until I can +5 my black knight shield. :smithicide:

If there were other knight shields I'd +5 them too. :smithicide:

How's about that Silver Knight Shield? :unsmigghh:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I feel bad, because I definitely fed an extra Silver Knight Shield to Frampt earlier...

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

doomfunk posted:

We are playing a totally different game. My copy of Dark Souls contained zero clam pounding.

e: Is there a trick for killing the giants or the archers that fire the loving huge arrows in Anor Lando?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

^^^ Clearly you're just talking to the right NPCs! :downs:

For the giants and archers, assuming you mean the giants on the stairs - stay below them and constantly be on the move backwards toward the rotating section. You can hit them below their shields this way and game their aggression limit range - they'll start backing up the stairs after taking a swing at you.
As for the archers, assuming you mean the two snipers, charge at them and roll under the arrows they fire when one looks about to hit you. Get close and they'll switch to their swords.

sentrygun posted:

How's about that Silver Knight Shield? :unsmigghh:

It's already +5 and it is the bee's knees. Better overall resistances than the Black Knight, I just want higher stability on my asbestos mantlepiece.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 8, 2011

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Akuma posted:

God loving damnit, it's hard enough just getting past the loving giants to O+S in NG+ without using up my pyromancy without people loving invading me goddamnit. I'd stay hollow but I want Solaire's help. It's stupid that I have to play offline just to be able to fire a billion arrows into a giant's head without being disturbed. gently caress.

My bro Solaire and me did kill the last fog ring wearing chucklehead that tried it right outside the fog door (I can still hit you with Chaos Fireballs, dickweed) but it used up too many of my spells/estus so it was a bust and I had to go back to the bonfire, and then I had to use the black crystal to get rid of Solaire, and then his sign was gone so I had to quit and reload. gently caress.

He dies pretty easily in NG+

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I wanna like Lost Izalith because it has some cool ideas-- using light instead of darkness to gently caress with your vision, the wide-open structure, enemies who are super dangerous in the open but can be baited & outwitted and even hurt each other-- but it never quite comes together.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Anor Londo goes from from frustrating to boring to amazing on three different levels of skill.

Frustrating if you're trying to fight everything and slowly chipping down giants, boring once you learn how to skip almost everything except slowly killing knights, and amazing once you learn how to parry and murder your way through the castle in five minutes. :black101:

That said, O&S are a badly designed encounter and in anything past NGx2 they're a huge pain in the rear end.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

swamp waste posted:

I wanna like Lost Izalith because it has some cool ideas-- using light instead of darkness to gently caress with your vision, the wide-open structure, enemies who are super dangerous in the open but can be baited & outwitted and even hurt each other-- but it never quite comes together.

The whole area of Lost Izalith just feels like someone hit copy/paste 50 times for the enemy placement. It's either those lava dragon legs or the fire breathing statues which I consider to be the most boring things in the entire game. They have one attack, are completely non-threatening, and there are so god damned many of them.

Cuchulain posted:

That said, O&S are a badly designed encounter and in anything past NGx2 they're a huge pain in the rear end.

O&S on the other hand is my favorite boss fight in the game. It's challenging, and stacked against you, but I don't think it ever feels like anything is unavoidable.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 8, 2011

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
I have found myself sporting a large egg sac on my head but it doesn't seem to be affecting me. Is it a purely cosmetic inconvenience and how do I get it off?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

It halves your soul gain, but once you hit 100k drained souls, it gets huge and your kick attack makes a maggot attack from your head.

It's awful.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Sumixam posted:

I have found myself sporting a large egg sac on my head but it doesn't seem to be affecting me. Is it a purely cosmetic inconvenience and how do I get it off?

It's stopping you from wearing a helmet. Get an Egg Vermifuge from the thing that violated your face and put that egg there to begin with or from a merchant that sells it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It'll eat away at the souls you earn until it 'matures' and change your kick attacks. You can remove it with an Egg Vermifuge; try talking to Eingyi at the Chaos Covenant chamber, he's got an egg problem and can actually talk and stuff.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Talking to Eingyi while the egg is on your head also makes him like you more and he'll sell you two pyromancy spells, one of which can not be obtained otherwise. They are not very good but you need them to get the all pyromancy trophy.

I'm not sure if you the egg has to mature first though. I was under the impression that it did, so I didn't talk to him until it matured but I'm curious if that is actually a requirement.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've been helping people with bosses by using gimmick builds all day today.

I got summoned into someone's world (Blighttown). I notice a phantom using Orinstein's Armor, and using a lightning zwei.

Of course I changed into Smough's and used my lightning axe to fit the mood.
We proceeded to wipe out Blighttown and kill Queelag.

Nothing like two ex-bosses taking down a lower level boss to help newbies. Long Live O+S Justice!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

Anor Londo goes from from frustrating to boring to amazing on three different levels of skill.

Frustrating if you're trying to fight everything and slowly chipping down giants, boring once you learn how to skip almost everything except slowly killing knights, and amazing once you learn how to parry and murder your way through the castle in five minutes. :black101:

So the trick to most of the enemies is getting a riposte off?

What about those archer douchebags?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

^^^ Charge 'em and roll under the arrows!

Kongming posted:

Talking to Eingyi while the egg is on your head also makes him like you more and he'll sell you two pyromancy spells, one of which can not be obtained otherwise. They are not very good but you need them to get the all pyromancy trophy.

I'm not sure if you the egg has to mature first though. I was under the impression that it did, so I didn't talk to him until it matured but I'm curious if that is actually a requirement.

It's not! He'll help you as long as you have a parasite, at all.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
Got a vermifuge but I'm not sure if I care to let the egg mature. Sounds fun though.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Sacrificial Toast posted:

The whole area of Lost Izalith just feels like someone hit copy/paste 50 times for the enemy placement. It's either those lava dragon legs or the fire breathing statues which I consider to be the most boring things in the entire game. They have one attack, are completely non-threatening, and there are so god damned many of them.

All the Taurus and Capra Demons just hanging out on the way there seem like they were placed by someone who did it on accident. What are all the taurus demons doing over there? Playing soccer? Nothing about the enemy placement there and the first part of Izalith seem to make much sense.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

doomfunk posted:

^^^ Charge 'em and roll under the arrows!

It's not! He'll help you as long as you have a parasite, at all.

The second always hits me from behind while I try to kick the one I charged off.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

!amicable posted:

So the trick to most of the enemies is getting a riposte off?

The archer douchebags are a huge pain in the rear end if you are cautious/tactical about it. You've got to balls-to-the-wall rush at the douchebag to the right, and you'll be out of sight from the second archer.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
These speedruns are fantastic. Ceaseless Discharge down with 6 punches :regd09:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

!amicable posted:

They can't see each other from where they are. If you sprint to the closer one and engage him in melee the other one can't hit you at all. Also when you're melee fighting him the dude will tend to knock himself right off the ledge.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

!amicable posted:

The second always hits me from behind while I try to kick the one I charged off.

Get up to the top, turn right. Mash the roll button, get in the archers face, the other one cannot hit you when in melee with the right one. You never need to fight the one to the left. If you parry the right one once, he will fall off.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dear Watson posted:

What I do there is go to the entrance and wait a moment, 3 ghosts will come up from the water, and two will come out of the building. You want to lure the ones in the building out first and fight them on the stairs behind you. After you kill those two, go kill the three in the water. Then enter the building. Choose a corridor and walk to the end and then turn around and walk back, you will usually draw out one or two ghosts, kill them and continue walking through the corridors picking them off one or two at a time. If you go around all the corridors this way, there will only be one left in the building (a screaming one) kill her and then you can climb the stairs without worrying and you shouldn't get gangbanged.

Its the slow methodical method, and you should never get overwhelmed if you take it slow enough. Also learn the timing of your transient curses, you may have to use 3 total to clear the level up to ingward. But usually only 2. Running through and getting up the ladder also works, but is a lot more difficult and aggravating.

Merauder posted:

As has already been mentioned, a big wide swinging weapon works well, or at least one that is fast with high damage (I'm running a +10 Fire Katana in NG+ and it almost one-shots the ghosts).

As for the approach, the previously mentioned slow-and-steady method can work, but if you're feeling ballsy and want to make it go faster, try this:

Once you get to that narrow staircase where the ghosts come up from the water and others comes through the buildnig, try just sprinting into the door way (right as you round the corner at the bottom of the steps) and take an immediate left. You'll run down a hallway in the building, and then just a bit down the way you'll find another doorway on your left. Exit the building there, and take another right. You'll come to a "T" just past that doorway, turn right and run up the staircase. At this point you'll probably have a half-dozen ghosts trailing not far behind you, but you shouldn't have ever been surrounded by them, and at least at <50% equip load you should be able to outrun them fairly well. And at this point you should have enough ground to comfortably fight them off in a group, with Pyromancy/Sorcery, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks, guys. With this advice (a little of one and some of the other) I made it through. Now Lower New Londo is unlocked and holy poo poo is it horrifying!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

Get up to the top, turn right. Mash the roll button, get in the archers face, the other one cannot hit you when in melee with the right one. You never need to fight the one to the left. If you parry the right one once, he will fall off.

I have been basically trying to get this to work, but I inevitable get arrowed in the back and knocked to my death. Maybe they regain LOS to me because I take a pause at the center area before I make it to the wall?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

You really shouldn't be getting knocked off by the left one anyway, he might knock you down, yes, but straight forward. Just keep rolling, make sure you're light enough to actually Roll, not fatman flop. Fatman flopping is not a good way to avoid arrows.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Sacrificial Toast posted:

They even copy+pasted one of the bosses! :v:

(Seriously, though, I never want to see another boss reskinned three times in one game ever again. I had enough of that poo poo with Phantasy Star Universe.)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

You really shouldn't be getting knocked off by the left one anyway, he might knock you down, yes, but straight forward. Just keep rolling, make sure you're light enough to actually Roll, not fatman flop. Fatman flopping is not a good way to avoid arrows.

Nah, he was hitting me forward and the edge of the wall veers off so I fell. Now I think the issue is that I was blocking the knight instead of parrying. I think I can do it.

savagehenry
Jul 20, 2006

unvoiced linguolabial trill

!amicable posted:

Is there a trick for killing the giants or the archers that fire the loving huge arrows in Anor Lando?

It isn't the most noble method, but on all of my characters with the 12+ dex to wield at least a shortbow I grab a few poison arrows from the moss merchant in the Lower Burg/Firelink shortcut and use them to drop the archer on the right. Three consecutive hits and a cigarette break later, and it's smooth sailing all the way up. You can safely ignore the left archer (provided you're actually sprinting up the last stretch, as there is a tiny window where he can get a bead on you near the top).

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

It's really easy once you get it down! This game is nothing if not rewarding to skill and foresight.

Miijhal posted:

(Seriously, though, I never want to see another boss reskinned three times in one game ever again. I had enough of that poo poo with Phantasy Star Universe.)
See, it's not so bad with the first two uses, because one is the tutorial boss, and the other is the tutorial boss brought up to the level of the rest of the game.

Nothing excuses the Demon Firesage though, he's just lazy.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

What are you talking about. He's on FIRE. That makes him awesome :v:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ball Stink posted:

Something other than "Here's your finite amount of casts, enjoy this while SSJGeorgeBush420 slices through everything,

To be honest, that is a really awesome name and I will probably use it with my next character.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Yeah, the Demon Firesage feels like a case of "sure hope the player hasn't revisited the Asylum yet hyuck". I was pretty disappointed when I realized he was a carbon copy of the Stray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

What are you talking about. He's on FIRE. That makes him awesome :v:

I used a Fire Longsword. Everything in my game was on Fire.

• Locked thread