Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Just died from a plunging attack over the edge in the Burg. Only, it took forever for the game to realize my character fell to her death. I fell past all the level geometry into a gray fog. After about a minute, the game finally killed me, but no animation change and no sound effects; just "YOU DIED" and back at the bonfire.

Good info about the whips; I was planning on a dominatrix character, with a fire whip in one hand and a lightning whip in the other. But no backstabs or ripostes, eh... gonna need another sexy weapon for the main hand. All armor will be chosen purely for a sexy look. I'm looking forward to meeting people online with this one.

EDIT: Got back to where I died, and my bloodstain is floating in the air and I can't get it... I'm going to have to jump over the edge, try and grab it in midair, and hope that it moves to a better location next time. This happened on the staircase near the archer tower and two sword and shield mooks; be careful trying plunging attacks there.

yrF fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

A Spider posted:

Fare thee well, 50k souls/6 Humanity, I hardly knew thee.
Yesterday I lost 1.4 million souls because I decided to rush through part of the Tomb and then fell to my death.

Oddly I wasn't even that upset. In NG+++, coming by that many souls isn't terribly difficult. I was technically saving it to buy a shitload of twinkling titanite when the patch hits, but it sounds like that's a bit far away at this point.

My point it, it gets better. Or...worse, depending on how you look at it.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

A Spider posted:

I'm going to say the Gravelord Sword is bugged regarding boss mobs/miniboss mobs. While in the Demon Ruins, I was killing off the Taurus Demons, pulling them using poison arrows and then killing them with my Gravelord Sword. I decided to conserve my poison arrow supply, by shooting just one arrow and intending to poison them with my sword.

Needless to say when it didn't get poison I was a little surprised and then rightly died. :sigh:

Fare thee well, 50k souls/6 Humanity, I hardly knew thee.

The Gravelord Sword causes toxic and not poison so it's 2 separate meters. You probably didn't do enough to cause either.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

yrF posted:

Good info about the whips; I was planning on a dominatrix character, with a fire whip in one hand and a lightning whip in the other. But no backstabs or ripostes, eh... gonna need another sexy weapon for the main hand. All armor will be chosen purely for a sexy look. I'm looking forward to meeting people online with this one.

A short or long sword (or some variation of those) would look very Ivy from the Soul Caliber series. A shotel would also look interesting and might be a practical pairing for an off hand whip.

e: I wonder how a resined/crystal enchanted whip would look and do. Sounds like it could be pretty sick both graphically and in use.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 8, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

yrF posted:

Just died from a plunging attack over the edge in the Burg. Only, it took forever for the game to realize my character fell to her death. I fell past all the level geometry into a gray fog. After about a minute, the game finally killed me, but no animation change and no sound effects; just "YOU DIED" and back at the bonfire.

I've had this before while falling down by Snuggly to make the item appear (before I realized you could just quit and reload to achieve the same result).

Also just tried to warp from Nito's area to Firelink, except the game didn't register it or something because the menu went away but my character just kept sitting there. Thankfully it auto-saves so often that I didn't lose any progress from restarting, but it was a little odd.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

yrF posted:

But no backstabs or ripostes, eh... gonna need another sexy weapon for the main hand.

Reinforced club or pyromancy flame.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Buffer posted:

Capra is pissing me off again on my SL1 run, so I might be overrating him.

The wolf ring + elite knight armour (80 poise baby!) made Capra demon trivial, I could ignore the dogs and focus on dodging past Capra. Don't know if the wolf ring /armour alone is enough to avoid being stunned.

Healbot posted:

While workable, whips don't have riposte or backstabs. Not even sure if there is a plunging attack.

gently caress, I was going to do an Indiana Jones gimmick with a whip in one hand and triple crossbow in the other, and the sweetest hat I could find.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

endlosnull posted:

The Gravelord Sword causes toxic and not poison so it's 2 separate meters. You probably didn't do enough to cause either.

Oh wow, Toxic, really? The wiki mentions poison so I sort of jumped to conclusions. Do you know off the top of your head if bosses are affected by Toxic?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
drat, this thread is so active. Whenever I come home and see another 150 new posts I think "The patch has to be out now!"

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

A Spider posted:

Oh wow, Toxic, really? The wiki mentions poison so I sort of jumped to conclusions. Do you know off the top of your head if bosses are affected by Toxic?

Most(?) bosses can be affected by Toxic. It's awesome throwing Dung Pies and it actually working. From my experience I have used a combination of Toxic and Poison on Quelaag, O&S, and Priscila. It was extremely helpful on my SL1 character.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

endlosnull posted:

Most(?) bosses can be affected by Toxic. It's awesome throwing Dung Pies and it actually working. From my experience I have used a combination of Toxic and Poison on Quelaag, O&S, and Priscila. It was extremely helpful on my SL1 character.

Do dung pies not hit you with toxic as well? Is it just a little bump in the meter?

I think toxic would be awesome for PvP since it's so hard to cure. Does it do enough damage to actually make a difference in boss hp?

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

Do dung pies not hit you with toxic as well? Is it just a little bump in the meter?

I think toxic would be awesome for PvP since it's so hard to cure. Does it do enough damage to actually make a difference in boss hp?

Dung Pies do build up your toxic as well but it seems to be half or less than half the rate that your target will build, so you can easily proc toxic on your target without getting toxic yourself.

Toxic is awesome for PvP. And it does make a difference in boss HP. It's hard to see and ticks slowly but you'll eventually notice it if you can only sporadically damage them. Toxic and poison were my ace in the hole to kill Quelaag and O&S as SL1 or NG+.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

Reinforced club or pyromancy flame.

Pyro is a must, and for the weapon I'm thinking the Painting Guardian Sword, if only for the killer dance moves that come with it. Style over function this time around.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Man I kinda wish I didn't defeat gaping dragon, I was still getting summoned for it at SL41. Leaving it open and running around in human form with your summon sign down, you can mass a lot of humanity from rats, that random liquid humanity gain, getting summoned, and the people trying to invade you.

I'm able to do the same with Quelaag, but you actually need to kill her to progress, whereas Gaping Dragon you don't (if you have the master key)

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
You can still be summoned to help in an area you've finished.

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

StringOfLetters posted:

You can still be summoned to help in an area you've finished.

But you can't be invaded or get the liquid humanity from enemy kills. Although I read on one of the wikis that you can only get up to 10 humanity per area via that method, so there's that.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Nickoten posted:

drat, this thread is so active. Whenever I come home and see another 150 new posts I think "The patch has to be out now!"

I have the same problem :( I need to know if I can safely upgrade my claymore.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Merauder posted:

I never had a problem with Tomb of the Giants either, especially compared to Izalith. I mean yeah, it's tough, but with some patience you can manage just fine. As opposed to the Dinobutt lava field, which is just miserable to look at, fight through, listen to (constant burning noise from wearing the lava ring & running through it), followed by an overly long & non-engaging bonfire run after quick boss deaths (assuming no shortcut), etc. Blah. gently caress Izlaith.

Lost Izalith is by far the worst: audio pain from the constant lava burning noise (seriously, couldn't they have toned in down while wearing the Charred Orange Ring?), visual pain from the blinding lava, and to top it off fighting the undead dragon-halfs isn't a challenge as so much a grind. You just keep dying over and over until you've cleared the room.

It is the worst.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Ok, so I just beat the game and somehow missed a ton of fun poo poo. NG+ or new character? Maybe a new class without the master key ...

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Since I have the patch and the multiplayer is truly pretty broken until they give us another patch here in Japan maybe I'm gonna test out a character using a Dex scaling weapon. I have a feeling it's not going to be as impressive as the Str weapons though, simply because of the low base damage. I'm wondering what weapon a Dex build should aim for. For high damage The best options are Scythe, Uchigatana, and Iaito, But the Bandit's knife has about 265 to the Uchi 416 and probably would proc a bleed effect much faster...

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Be a man and pick up a Murakumo. Bigger is better!

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Lost Izalith is by far the worst: audio pain from the constant lava burning noise (seriously, couldn't they have toned in down while wearing the Charred Orange Ring?), visual pain from the blinding lava, and to top it off fighting the undead dragon-halfs isn't a challenge as so much a grind. You just keep dying over and over until you've cleared the room.

It is the worst.

Agreed, it's the audio that makes LI unbearable, then the light, then the dinosaur asses. I can't wait to go through it again, this time with a sorcerer. Most of the chaos stuff is weak to magic, so things should die rapidly to my crystal homing masses.

ToG is made a lot easier if you know you can sprint from the second bonfire to Neato. You don't have to fight a single one of the dogs, just run like madman past everything but the skeleton pillars.

Sumadartson fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 8, 2011

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Regarding optional bosses, it seems like only the following bosses are actually mandatory:
  • Gargoyles and Quelaag, for the bells.
  • Iron Golem since he's in the way (allegedly skippable with a glitch but you have to enter the fight).
  • O&S, again because they're in the way.
  • Sif, for Four Kings.
  • Ceaseless Discharge, to open Demon Ruins.
  • Four Kings, Seath, Nito, and Bed of Chaos (without that door glitch anyway).
  • Gwyn.
Absolutely everyone else is skippable. And not even just with the Master Key! You do need the Chaos Covenant shortcut to skip Firesage and Centipede, but it can be done. That makes those two plus Taurus, Capra, Gaping Dragon, Butterfly, Hellkite, Priscilla, and Gwyndolin optional. Not quite half, but that's still a lot of potential skippables.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I assume that what I experienced last night was a glitch? I went up to kill the black knight in the tower at the beginning of Undead Parish, saw I had a clear shot at that Dragon that's been in my way the whole game, so fired one arrow at his head for 30 damage. He immediately flew away, I assumed he would come back at some point, but about 45 seconds later, I got 10,000 souls, after investigating the bridge, I heard the "boss dying" sound effect and he never respawned.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 8, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Palleon posted:

I assume that what I experienced last night was a glitch? I went up to kill the blank knight in the tower at the beginning of Undead Parish, saw I had a clear shot at that Dragon that's been in my way the whole game, so fired one arrow at his head for 30 damage. He immediately flew away, I assumed he would come back at some point, but about 45 seconds later, I got 10,000 souls, after investigating the bridge, I heard the "boss dying" sound effect and he never respawned.
Yeah, it's a glitch. It's kind of finnicky in that you need to sit at a certain bonfire before heading up there or the dragon will vanish when you get to the top.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Yeah that whole Drake thing is just all sorts of glitchy sadly.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I guess you could run through New Londo, kill Ingward for the key to drain the area, run up through Valley of the Drakes and skip Capra and Taurus that way.

Wait, you can glitch the door to the kiln of the first flame? How do you do that?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
I really hate being in limbo with this game. I have no idea what I want to do. Do I test data with my level 710 twink? Nope, all data will be garbage. What about my reroll? Nnnnnnope, don't know the scaling letters of the new weapon or if scaling itself was modified internally... can't pick an upgrade path I *know* I'll be happy with. Aren't these just LETTERS under the item? I figured at least the most important items would be updated in wikis by now, if they are I missed it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

endlosnull posted:

Except I have never seen the Gravelord Sword actually apply a toxic effect, ever.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I often see a number of you talking about killing Gwynevere, ignoring Frampt, going with Kaathe, plunging the world into darkness and whatnot. Why?
O&S was the last boss fight I did, and I've not decided whether to kill Gwynevere. Should I? I accidentally fell into the pit Frampt's at and had to use the Lordvessel to get out (didn't have any bones on me) and he did his pissy routine and flew off. Also, aside fron Sr. Onion, Sunbro and the pyro from the depths, everyone else seems like a dick.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jan posted:

Except I have never seen the Gravelord Sword actually apply a toxic effect, ever.
I've gotten it on me in PvP.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Pope Mobile posted:

I often see a number of you talking about killing Gwynevere, ignoring Frampt, going with Kaathe, plunging the world into darkness and whatnot. Why?
O&S was the last boss fight I did, and I've not decided whether to kill Gwynevere. Should I? I accidentally fell into the pit Frampt's at and had to use the Lordvessel to get out (didn't have any bones on me) and he did his pissy routine and flew off. Also, aside fron Sr. Onion, Sunbro and the pyro from the depths, everyone else seems like a dick.

Killing Gwynevere has nothing to do with the choice between Kaathe and Frampt. The only thing killing her does is make Anor Londo dark and remove most of the enemies there.

A lot of us choose Kaathe because Frampt is a manipulative rear end in a top hat and Kaathe tells it like it is :science:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Does anyone know of a quick way to kill harpies? Everything seems to be doing pretty much the same damage.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
What's the fastest way to New Londo? I really don't feel like tracking up through Blighttown, but I feel like that's the fastest way....

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

^^^I used Firelink shrine and just ran to the elevator

Ball Stink posted:

I really hate being in limbo with this game. I have no idea what I want to do. Do I test data with my level 710 twink? Nope, all data will be garbage. What about my reroll? Nnnnnnope, don't know the scaling letters of the new weapon or if scaling itself was modified internally... can't pick an upgrade path I *know* I'll be happy with. Aren't these just LETTERS under the item? I figured at least the most important items would be updated in wikis by now, if they are I missed it.

Have you tried checking the Japanese wikis, dude? The patch has been out long enough there that most of this poo poo should have been updated.

The wait's on this poo poo's breaking my balls, though. Every loving time I die because of the input lag glitch I get just a little bit angrier than I would because there's a loving patch that fixes this poo poo that we don't have.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Zain posted:

Does anyone know of a quick way to kill harpies? Everything seems to be doing pretty much the same damage.

The Painted World ones?

Most of them you can bait into killing themselves. Stand near a ledge, wait for them to queue up their leap of death attack, walk forward in their face, laugh as they jump off a cliff. This can work on the ones in the center tower stairs too, since they take falling damage if they miss their landing.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

areyoucontagious posted:

What's the fastest way to New Londo? I really don't feel like tracking up through Blighttown, but I feel like that's the fastest way....

From Firelink Shrine go down the stairs, past the Flame Keeper to another set of stairs, then take the elevator and voila, right into New Londo!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

YorexTheMad posted:

The Painted World ones?

Most of them you can bait into killing themselves. Stand near a ledge, wait for them to queue up their leap of death attack, walk forward in their face, laugh as they jump off a cliff. This can work on the ones in the center tower stairs too, since they take falling damage if they miss their landing.
I assume he's trying to farm them, and doing a S&Q every time you kill one would get really old.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I assume he's trying to farm them, and doing a S&Q every time you kill one would get really old.

Yes I want a nice quick way to get my souvenir's of reprisal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Good news everyone! I just killed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (O&S) for the first time! And it only took me maybe 3 or 4 tries, much to my surprise. Now I have this Lordvessel thing, and I suppose I should go talk to Frampt or something? Oh well, either way I just wanted to say that this game has been pretty fun so far, though I guess the next part of the game is where things start to drop off in terms of quality?

• Locked thread