Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Live a Little posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good app for video podcasts? There's just so many choices coming from iOS. Will especially love something can subscribe or download from the itunes podcast feeds since it seems really popular but I know how apple can be with "their" content.

For iTunes podcasts you probably want doubleTwist:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer

It's $5, but I'm a fan of DoggCatcher for general video podcasts. Here's a 7-day free trial:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.snoggdoggler.android.applications.doggcatcher.trial

I haven't tried it, but a free alternative that might work is ACast:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mathias.android.acast

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Beautiful Widgets is kind of buggy for me, for some reason. It keeps showing leftover old weather in the main display despite the actual weather for the day being displayed as something completely different in the bottom left. I haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Also, neither AccuWeather nor Google Weather seem to be very accurate if you live outside the US. You might want to think about trying something a bit more local, even if it won't look as nice. I use weather24.com.
It was doing this because you installed it to the SD card.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

scarymonkey posted:

For iTunes podcasts you probably want doubleTwist:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer
DoubleTwist, in my own experience anyway, is pretty terrible. Maybe it's worked better for some but I had nothing but headache after headache when trying to use it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

It was doing this because you installed it to the SD card.

It was doing the same for me and I definitely hadn't put it on the SD card (it doesn't even show as being able to be moved to SD)

It sorted itself out now though so who knows what was going on with it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Live a Little posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good app for video podcasts? There's just so many choices coming from iOS. Will especially love something can subscribe or download from the itunes podcast feeds since it seems really popular but I know how apple can be with "their" content.

I'll keep pimping iSyncr, with the Wifi add-on. It will sync everything that you say to, including video podcasts. Just tested with my phone and it worked beautifully.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Anyone know of a clock in the same visual style as Arc Clock Widget that I can actually change the size of? Arc Clock is cool but I want it to be 7 times bigger or about 3 times smaller.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Anybody been having trouble with ADW Launcher EX lately? Lately on my EVO 4G, ADW just randomly dies and reverts to the standard launcher. I restart it, then five minutes later it's gone again.

Edit: Goddamnit, it just did it again.

Edit: Wait a minute, I think I see what the problem is. Where do I go on my phone to tell it that ADW is the default launcher? I think every time I hit the home button (or bring it back from sleeping) it's killing ADW because the stock android launcher is the default. I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, that didn't help.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 9, 2011

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Can anyone recommend a good Picasa viewer app? I have tons of albums so I need something that can sort multiple ways like alphabetical and by date or to search.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wagonburner posted:

1x1 weatherbug is pretty coal I think. http://i.imgur.com/ltoFa.jpg

Hi, fellow Tulsa-Area person! I too like weatherbug!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I feel like this may have been mentioned before, but does anyone know why "Missed It!" isn't detecting any notifications from SMS or Gmail or Calls?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix got another update today. It may be in my head, but I swear the video quality is a ton better on my Xoom now. It seems JUST shy of HD.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

jackpot posted:

Anybody been having trouble with ADW Launcher EX lately? Lately on my EVO 4G, ADW just randomly dies and reverts to the standard launcher. I restart it, then five minutes later it's gone again.

Edit: Goddamnit, it just did it again.

Edit: Wait a minute, I think I see what the problem is. Where do I go on my phone to tell it that ADW is the default launcher? I think every time I hit the home button (or bring it back from sleeping) it's killing ADW because the stock android launcher is the default. I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, that didn't help.
Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All -> HTC Sense -> Clear Defaults

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

datajosh posted:

Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All -> HTC Sense -> Clear Defaults
Thank you so very, very much.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Gravitom posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Picasa viewer app? I have tons of albums so I need something that can sort multiple ways like alphabetical and by date or to search.

Here's a couple you can give a try:
JustPictures!
PicasaTool

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
GO Launcher works pretty well for me, but I wish it had a setting to close the freaking app drawer after launching an app. I often exit apps with the back button, and if I launched it from the app drawer, it will return me to the drawer, which is super annoying.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

brc64 posted:

GO Launcher works pretty well for me, but I wish it had a setting to close the freaking app drawer after launching an app. I often exit apps with the back button, and if I launched it from the app drawer, it will return me to the drawer, which is super annoying.

I've been getting annoyed by this too and just recently. I wonder if it's a new thing and it didn't always do that, I can't remember.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I think it's new as I've not had that issue until just Recently.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Yep, this was in a recent patch note, apparently some pople actually wanted this behaviour. I don't know why it wasn't added as a toggle, it's stupid.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's new; I remember it being mentioned in the notes perhaps a week and a half ago. I wish they'd included a setting for it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yep, new. It used to go back to the app drawer whether I hit home or back, so at least they fixed that. I agree, it should be a selectable option

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Cross-posting from the Blue Ball Manipulator thread.

Geekner posted:

Got blueballs? Blue Ball Manipulator Live Wallpaper

Get it here!

This is a beta version, but works pretty well.

There is a configurable overlay to make the icons easier to read, you can make this darker/lighter/gone.

Memory usage is a little high, each GIF has to be decompressed to display. There is a setting you can change to limit the number of unique GIFs, which will reduce memory usage. If it runs into memory limits, the program will just repeat previous images to fill the screen. I have some ideas to reduce memory usage more, but it's a bit of work.

Transparency might be a little off on some 2.1 phones (white flashing, some GIFs displaying different background from the rest), lemme know if you see this!

Github here for anyone interested. I just used the Google example wallpaper and ported some GIF decoding code.

I'll be adding some minor features soon:
-Daily randomization
-Manually randomize (for a better layout)
-More GIFs if I can find the 2008 thread.

It runs pretty well, I even have it run full speed on my emulator and old first-gen test phone. It only runs when the wallpaper is visible, as most other live wallpapers do. Battery usage is the same as other wallpaper's I've used (2% or less over a day).

RAM usage is a little high, but it won't cause problems on most phones with 512mb or more. Phones with less can run it, but Android might kill the wallpaper and reload it at times. I'm still optimizing memory usage, but there's only so much I can do.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for a good calculator app that does general calculations (including geometry and trigonometry,) calculus (at least including derivatives, integrals, differential equations and vectors) graphs and CAS (Computer Algebra System?) I've found a few with a google search, but have no real way of knowing if any of them are any good (and they all have mediocre reviews.)

I already have a TI n-spire CAS, but I'm getting loving sick of it running out of power every other week. So until I can afford a rechargeable calculator I figured I'd just get an app for it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I don't have a good app suggestion beyond RealCalc (nice but I'm not sure meets every item on your list), but have you considered getting some Eneloops for the calculator?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

EVO 4G

Anybody ever had trouble texting photos? I use Handcent but I don't think it's the problem - sometimes I switch to the built-in Messages and I have the same issue. I'll attach a photo, hit send, and it'll just spin and spin and eventually give me an error. Usually it eventually sends, but sometimes it doesn't.

I have the same problem receiving photos in texts; I'll click the button to download the photo someone's sent me, and it'll just spin. Eventually it stops trying and the download button appears again. Maybe it comes if I hit download a few more times, maybe it doesn't. It's nothing to do with my internet connection - usually I'm on wifi and everything else is really fast.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

How did I go so long without using Pulse? This thing is fantastic. Should be even better on my Kindle Fire.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

jackpot posted:

EVO 4G

Anybody ever had trouble texting photos? I use Handcent but I don't think it's the problem - sometimes I switch to the built-in Messages and I have the same issue. I'll attach a photo, hit send, and it'll just spin and spin and eventually give me an error. Usually it eventually sends, but sometimes it doesn't.

I have the same problem receiving photos in texts; I'll click the button to download the photo someone's sent me, and it'll just spin. Eventually it stops trying and the download button appears again. Maybe it comes if I hit download a few more times, maybe it doesn't. It's nothing to do with my internet connection - usually I'm on wifi and everything else is really fast.

How is the rest of your data when you're having this issue? MMS relies on the EV/WiMax connection, so if you're having a general data issue at that point, it will affect inbound and outbound pictures as well.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

jackpot posted:

EVO 4G

I've been on certain builds of CyanogenMod that have had problems sending and receiving MMS while I was connected to wifi, forcing me to temporarily disconnect in order to complete the action. As AlexDeGruven mentioned, MMS requires an EVDO (didn't realize WiMax would also work) connection. Typically if you're connected to wifi you aren't also connected to EVDO, but you temporarily connect to it when sending or receiving an MMS message. At least, that's what seems to be the case from what I've seen when it works correctly.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Just got my droid, so I'm new to all of this... What app would I use to set my wallpaper to change automatically during certain times of day?

Also, which of the launcher replacement apps is the least bloated/resource intensive?

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 9, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Just got my droid, so I'm new to all of this... What app would I use to set my wallpaper to change automatically during certain times of day?

I use wallswitch

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

How is the rest of your data when you're having this issue? MMS relies on the EV/WiMax connection, so if you're having a general data issue at that point, it will affect inbound and outbound pictures as well.

brc64 posted:

I've been on certain builds of CyanogenMod that have had problems sending and receiving MMS while I was connected to wifi, forcing me to temporarily disconnect in order to complete the action. As AlexDeGruven mentioned, MMS requires an EVDO (didn't realize WiMax would also work) connection. Typically if you're connected to wifi you aren't also connected to EVDO, but you temporarily connect to it when sending or receiving an MMS message. At least, that's what seems to be the case from what I've seen when it works correctly.
Ah, that makes sense then, I didn't know all that. It's a pain in the rear end, but at least I know now how to prevent it (and it also explains why I rarely have this problem while I'm at work, with no wifi connection).

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Anyone else having problems with Friendcaster not displaying all notifications and wall posts?

At this point I'm forced to use the facebook mobile site for everything, which is really annoying.

OMGLOLetcetc
Feb 13, 2008
Victim Of The '08 Account Hijackings :(

Armacham posted:

Anyone else having problems with Friendcaster not displaying all notifications and wall posts?

At this point I'm forced to use the facebook mobile site for everything, which is really annoying.

Yerp. It rarely displays (some) friends picture albums too.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Also, which of the launcher replacement apps is the least bloated/resource intensive?

I second Wallswitch.

I really like Go Launcher for a launcher replacement. I was using launcher pro, but switched and have been really happy with Go Launcher.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I have a Dropbox question.

I just moved a folder into my Dropbox folder on my phone, but it doesn't show up in Dropbox, either on my phone or my computer. Do I have to manually Upload each individual file in the folder, or am I missing something?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

NewcastleBrown posted:

I have a Dropbox question.

I just moved a folder into my Dropbox folder on my phone, but it doesn't show up in Dropbox, either on my phone or my computer. Do I have to manually Upload each individual file in the folder, or am I missing something?

The dropbox app doesn't automatically sync the folder on your phone.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

big mean giraffe posted:

The dropbox app doesn't automatically sync the folder on your phone.

What he said. Unless you drop it into the desktop sync folder, DropBox only pushes out changes to the online storage.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Armacham posted:

The official app is better than friendcaster.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The official app is better than friendcaster.

maybe if it didn't try to geolocate and destroy my battery every time I used it

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Does anybody know a drawing-based notes app that syncs with dropbox?

Ideally, I could open it up, sketch out some stuff, click save (or have autosave), and it would put a .png in Dropbox/Notes/.

All the notes apps I can find that have dropbox integration are just text editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Aatrek posted:

What he said. Unless you drop it into the desktop sync folder, DropBox only pushes out changes to the online storage.

It's worth nothing that Estrong's File Explorer can both work with Dropbox and syncs properly down to your desktop/laptop/dog.

And it's free.

• Locked thread