Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Hoops posted:

There was one, maybe three months ago, where the whole thing was this woman whining about her relationship with her mother, and how messed up she was because of her non-abused, non-poor, non-endangered childhood. I completely rolled my eyes at that, it was the definition of the self-involved, neurotic, therapy-crutch cliche. I couldn't believe people were empathising and cheering, she should have been booed off the stage.

I remember that one! Ugg. It's exactly stories like that that made me stop listening. Some of the stories can be great (anything from the New York cop guy is always good) but the ratio of genuinely great stories to self-centered pablum was just too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

maxnmona posted:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/430/very-tough-love

Yeah, occasionally they do an episode that just gets you angry at the ridiculous injustice of it.
:bang: THIS SHOW

It's rare to find any program that can get me so worked up, but TAL pulls it off with aplomb with these shows.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
I got the TAL iOS app and I've been listening to episodes 1 and 2. It's incredibly obvious how hard Ira is trying to achieve the profundity the show pulls off so effortlessly now. It's still fun to listen to, though!

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

I'm not quite sure why you spoilered that, but try ...

It was a newer episode, I had an impression of what the episode would be based on the description, and I enjoy it when an episode spins off into crazy town and has little to do with the original title, why spoil that for others.

Milka
Feb 23, 2005
at least i'm not one of the '06s
I enjoyed the episode where they went to a diner in Chicago and interviewed everyone who came in for 24 hours. (#172)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This may sound petty but I hate how Ira (this is recently) has insisted on saying WE'RE ONLY ASKING FOR MONEY ONCE! but then kind of pokes in during their natural radio breaks and basically asks for money again but does it in a way where its like "We said we weren't asking for money and we're not!...but don't forget!"

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Ira was one of many guests on last week's WTF. He told, to the best of ability and with help from people were there, a story of the night before where he got so completely poo poo-faced that he ended up in one of the back rooms vomiting all over himself. I'm not normally down with that kind of stuff but it made me like him a little more.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, occasionally they do an episode that just gets you angry at the ridiculous injustice of it.

Another one is this one http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/163/can-you-fight-city-hall%E2%80%A6if-you-are-city-hall
Though it's way too short, the storyteller for the first act is excellent. The way she tells the part about being supported about criminals had me cracking up

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Ira was one of many guests on last week's WTF. He told, to the best of ability and with help from people were there, a story of the night before where he got so completely poo poo-faced that he ended up in one of the back rooms vomiting all over himself. I'm not normally down with that kind of stuff but it made me like him a little more.

He just seemed so offended when Maron said it humanized him. "What does that mean??? You think I'm not human???"

Which was funny to me because I know what Maron meant and I agree with him.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Speaking of humanizing Ira Glass, this interview with Ira and his wife is fascinating and really far from his This American Life persona

http://howwasyourweek.libsyn.com/ep-15-what-s-this-it-s-the-style-ira-glass-anaheed-alani

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

maxnmona posted:

Speaking of humanizing Ira Glass, this interview with Ira and his wife is fascinating and really far from his This American Life persona

http://howwasyourweek.libsyn.com/ep-15-what-s-this-it-s-the-style-ira-glass-anaheed-alani
My God the intro was unbearable. Will that woman please shut the gently caress up.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Julie Klausner is more polarizing than Marc Maron, I've found. I like her, but I hate her interviews (also they're often poorly recorded). But yeah, skip the intro and go to the Glass thing - I guess his wife is like 10 years younger than him or something?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak0fPHbFpbc

I guess this belongs here.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wished Ira talked more during the three way interview. He's the most interesting person there, yet he talked the least.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

CaptainPsyko posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak0fPHbFpbc

I guess this belongs here.

I laughed at that way more than I expected to. NPR puns are the best puns.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Guerrand posted this in the Spotify thread, a Spotify playlist with a lot of the music used during or in-between segments.

Click

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.
I love this show.

hohum fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 22, 2011

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Haha, loving Ira. Got me to donate this year. I only just started listening to NPR when my commute time doubled. I was holding off, but then they played a bit from Ira talking about how people feel "everyone else" will donate, and look in the mirror and decide, and finally "you're listening through the pledge drive, you're obviously a hardcore NPR listener!" and I just cracked up. YOU WIN MR. GLASS!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

haha this weeks episode is great already. "I'm just sitting here, smoking a little pot - don't worry, it's medicinal, watching Fight Club"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Guerrand posted this in the Spotify thread, a Spotify playlist with a lot of the music used during or in-between segments.

Click

Now I can start bitching about the songs they play way too much, like the theme from the graffiti artist and 06 Ghosts I from NIN.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

UltraRed posted:

Now I can start bitching about the songs they play way too much, like the theme from the graffiti artist and 06 Ghosts I from NIN.
The weird thing is every single time they use the theme music from Moon in one of their pieces I spend a good half hour trying to remember what it was from.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
BLARG!!! Repeat podcast! Seriously, nothing is more off putting than downloading a podcast and 15 minutes in realizing you've heard it before.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The first episode I ever heard was I believe about suicide and how this kid was going to jump in front of a train (I think? It was over a year ago).

I hadn't heard this podcast again until last night at a friend's house. That one was about the NYPD cop recording his superiors talk about meeting quotas. Anyways, now I'm hooked.

Can someone help direct me to the first episode I mentioned? I want to listen to it again. And if it wasn't a This American Life podcast, then at least the episode last night got me to enjoy the show.

Lusy
Oct 1, 2005
I'm a guy

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I really enjoyed "The Super" episode with ex Brazilian Death Squad leader Bob.
Came here to talk specifically about this episode. I was cleaning house while listening to this episode one night. When they revealed that Bob wasn't eexactly making poo poo up I had to stop what I was doing. My jaw literally dropped and I just stood staring at my iPod for a few seconds. That's when I knew I was totally hooked.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lusy posted:

Came here to talk specifically about this episode. I was cleaning house while listening to this episode one night. When they revealed that Bob wasn't eexactly making poo poo up I had to stop what I was doing. My jaw literally dropped and I just stood staring at my iPod for a few seconds. That's when I knew I was totally hooked.

LIBERALLY PUSSY!!! He'S N UPSTANDING AMERICAN!!!!! Seriously, the stuff we sunk millions of dollars into, and the programs that let them flee are particularly heinous.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
I really enjoyed this week's episode. The hilarity of the middle school relationships and the :smith: of the depressed kid made for some great radio.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

JGBeagle posted:

The first episode I ever heard was I believe about suicide and how this kid was going to jump in front of a train (I think? It was over a year ago).

I hadn't heard this podcast again until last night at a friend's house. That one was about the NYPD cop recording his superiors talk about meeting quotas. Anyways, now I'm hooked.

Can someone help direct me to the first episode I mentioned? I want to listen to it again. And if it wasn't a This American Life podcast, then at least the episode last night got me to enjoy the show.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/234/say-anything

midori-a-gogo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 2, 2011

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

trigger9631 posted:

I really enjoyed this week's episode. The hilarity of the middle school relationships and the :smith: of the depressed kid made for some great radio.

I had the same thing happen to me in the 4th grade. When he started throwing up in school, they should have taken him to get checked out. When major changes occur in their lives, even seemingly trivial ones to us as adults, children can have nervous breakdowns.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

UltraRed posted:

BLARG!!! Repeat podcast! Seriously, nothing is more off putting than downloading a podcast and 15 minutes in realizing you've heard it before.

I really wish they would denote that its a repeat.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

soggybagel posted:

You can usually tell by the show number. They are at 449 now so anything less than that is a repeat.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

soggybagel posted:

On the website, they always tell you the original air date.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I saw Ira Glass live yesterday, it was a lot of fun, he talked about his experience on the show, had a bunch of unused clips from other episodes, elaborated on what it takes to make just one episode, he also took questions from the audience which were great.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
This show is indeed awesome.

My favorite episode is the one about the Nummi factory operated by Toyota and General Motors. Equal parts hysterical and :psyduck: makes for great radio.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/nummi

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Thank you! :D

This weeks podcast was pretty good, it was nice to hear that Middle School was bad for everyone else as well. :unsmith:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

maxnmona posted:

On the website, they always tell you the original air date.

Its mostly me being lazy. I just sync with itunes and load up the latest without much bother for the title etc. So I'm usually thinking, "this sounds familiar" and about 12 minutes in I realize it is. If they just started every broadcast with "It's September 18, 2010 and this is This American Life" it would be sweet. Or me just not be lazy.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
Middle school is pretty poo poo for most people.

The only segments I actively dislike are when they have david sedaris or the guy with the weird stuffy voice do a piece. Part of it is that the real stories are so solid that those guys feel like they're wasting time. I actually like sedaris's books, but his stories just never feel like they fit.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

AquaticIguana posted:

Middle school is pretty poo poo for most people.

The only segments I actively dislike are when they have david sedaris or the guy with the weird stuffy voice do a piece. Part of it is that the real stories are so solid that those guys feel like they're wasting time. I actually like sedaris's books, but his stories just never feel like they fit.

Ira Glass was the person who discovered David Sedaris, and the show was basically built to fit Sedaris's style. The early episodes are 50% just Sedaris talking.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real stories". Other than the occasional animal fable, everything Sedaris does is memoir.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I had a studiomate that would play This American Life all the time. It was my first exposure to the show and it just seemed like it was a bunch of stories about troubles being gay, how the family would deal with it etc., a lot of which were David Sedaris stories. Eventually it got a little old

Turns out he was just a pretty gay guy that chose to listen to a lot of episodes dealing with gayness. Oddly enough, I'm not sure if I would be a fan of the show now if it weren't for the exposure it got from my studiomate (Wait Wait Don't Tell Me too)

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.

maxnmona posted:

Ira Glass was the person who discovered David Sedaris, and the show was basically built to fit Sedaris's style. The early episodes are 50% just Sedaris talking.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real stories". Other than the occasional animal fable, everything Sedaris does is memoir.

By real stories I meant the usual "send a reporter to tell about a thing" stories. I must have gotten unlucky with Sedaris episodes. Beides one episode about his screwed up Dad, all I remember are his animal fables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

maniacripper posted:

This show is indeed awesome.

My favorite episode is the one about the Nummi factory operated by Toyota and General Motors. Equal parts hysterical and :psyduck: makes for great radio.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/nummi

Thanks, I'm from the town where Nummi was located, I'll check this one out.

• Locked thread