Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
So FF8 is out and they added this new thing with users selecting their add-ons (or plugins or who knows what the gently caress since Mozilla can't call them anything consistently): http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/08/11/strengthening-user-control-of-add-ons/

One of the comments says they'll provide information for OEMs and enterprises, but I can't find anything on that blog about it.

We install Adblock+ by default on all of our PCs, and not in the the user profile. Is there anything describing this change in more technical detail and ways to minimize how much end users have to see and click on extra poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

So FF8 is out and they added this new thing with users selecting their add-ons (or plugins or who knows what the gently caress since Mozilla can't call them anything consistently): http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/08/11/strengthening-user-control-of-add-ons/

One of the comments says they'll provide information for OEMs and enterprises, but I can't find anything on that blog about it.

We install Adblock+ by default on all of our PCs, and not in the the user profile. Is there anything describing this change in more technical detail and ways to minimize how much end users have to see and click on extra poo poo?

fligtar's post (the one you quote) is agood one. add-ons = extensions by the way.
plug-ins are different.

And here is a decent news story on ver 8 goodness http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57320795/firefox-8-new-rules-for-add-ons/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Microsoft Spy posted:

And here is a decent news story on ver 8 goodness http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57320795/firefox-8-new-rules-for-add-ons/

CBS News posted:

Tabs get a tune-up, too. The animations should look better when people reorder tabs

Um, the reordering animation was removed?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Microsoft Spy posted:

fligtar's post (the one you quote) is agood one. add-ons = extensions by the way.
plug-ins are different.

Right, so what I'm looking for is what he commented would be coming "soon":

fligtar posted:

We’ll be posting info for enterprises and other distributions that need to ship with add-ons built in soon. It’s still possible.

Where are the details about which preferences I need to set so that my users will never have to see anything about this? Or do I have to figure it out myself like every other new feature? (This is why I'm ditching Firefox as a supported browser at work...)

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
WTF is this dashed line thing for and how do I turn it off?

I assume it's related to favicons since I have those off, and that's where they normally go.

I have a few bookmarks in one folder, and if I middle clicked the folder it would open all the bookmarks in separate tabs, but now it doesn't use the first new blank tab in a new window, and I get this:

Before it would only load the 3 tabs with content, and not leave me a blank new tab. If I can get that behavior back that would be pretty nice.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Scott808 posted:

I assume it's related to favicons since I have those off, and that's where they normally go.
It's indeed favicon's missing (I have them for when there isn't a favicon). You can theoretically hide it by editing usercontent.css

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/792988#answer-149877

quote:

I have a few bookmarks in one folder, and if I middle clicked the folder it would open all the bookmarks in separate tabs, but now it doesn't use the first new blank tab in a new window, and I get this:

Before it would only load the 3 tabs with content, and not leave me a blank new tab. If I can get that behavior back that would be pretty nice.
Pretty sure that was the behavior I had in 7 too but I'm not 100% positive on that.

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
I honestly wonder how long until extension developers who don't use addons.mozilla.org start just tagging extensions with a maxVersion of 20,000 so that they stop having to bump the version number every six weeks. If they haven't already, anyway.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
Joke's on them when mozilla starts using letters or something instead because version 17 of a program just looks tacky as hell.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Fiskiggy posted:

Joke's on them when mozilla starts using letters or something instead because version 17 of a program just looks tacky as hell.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Fiskiggy posted:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yes they got rid of the stupid button borders. More viewing space for me :neckbeard:

Any idea when it will be added to the Ubuntu repositories?

Scott808 posted:

It's also used as a placeholder for webpages that have no icon. It used to be a blank paper icon, but now there's a couple of websites in my bookmarks without icons and it looks kind of goofy with those boxed outlines.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I just upgraded to 8 and now all of my Extensions are missing.

Both AdBlock Plus and FlashBlock poo poo out with "Failed to install" when I try to install them but for some reason NoScript installs without a problem.

What the gently caress is going on?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Probably something with the new feature forcing users to select which stuff they want enabled when upgrading. Try a new profile maybe?

I found this page on disabling the new add-on controls. Haven't had a chance to test it yet.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
The add-ons seemed to be installed and working (AdBlock blocking ads, FlashBlock blocking YouTube, etc) but they were not listed.

I made the changes on the page you linked, restarted FF, it asked if I wanted to install AdBlock, said yes, restarted again, it asked if I wanted to install FlashBlock, said yes again, restarted again, and it looks correct now.

That was perfect, thanks for the help Cpt.Wacky.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I found this page on disabling the new add-on controls. Haven't had a chance to test it yet.

uuhh should i be worried? :raise:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Atrocious Pirate posted:

uuhh should i be worried? :raise:

Not particularly, they just use a cheap and lovely webhost.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
After testing, it appears this is all you need to do to get extensions in the program files folder rather than user profiles working, without any user interaction:

lockPref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 11);

That site I linked had the pref misspelled as autoDisableScope. I'm not sure what the other pref they mentioned (extensions.shownSelectionUI) is for, but I never saw the selection page, even before I started messing with these prefs. I was upgrading from 6.0.2 to 8.0, so maybe that was why.

You need to set this pref for Thunderbird too if you're bundling stuff like Lightning.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't have to press Back two times on these forums anymore. :woop:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Aurora's up to 10.0a2 now. It claimed that a metric tonne of my addons were no longer functional, but they seem to be working. Unfortunately, the add-on manager isn't. Oh well, I can live without that until someone comes up with a fix or workaround.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am excited that I can restore my previous sessions.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

MachinTrucChose posted:

Whelp, I'm back on Firefox. I gave it up in favor of Opera after that fast release cycle bullshit was dropped on developers. I always knew I would come back, once the bulk of the add-on community have adapted to the changes, and they seem to have done so now.[...]

I guess I spoke in haste. The add-on situation is STILL not resolved. Aurora just notified me of a new update, which wants to disable 75% of my add-ons. So add-ons I installed on last week's Aurora don't work on this week's? Really? And you think I'm going to update? Mozilla, you are complete idiots. I use Firefox for the add-ons, I thought I'd help Mozilla out by going along with their new release cycles, but my time is too important to deal with this poo poo. Hopefully it's resolved next year or something. I'll try updating then. Just fix the goddamn problem already.

(Yes, I know I can disable add-on compatibility checking. But that just means if there's a genuine compatibility issue I'd have to spend my own time hunting it down).

tl;dr: I wanted to be at the bleeding edge alongside Mozilla and report feedback and poo poo, but their incompetence is forcing me to not update anytime soon.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 12, 2011

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This might help. From the Extension Guru's blog:

quote:

Important! Add-on Compatibility Reporter is not correctly working with Firefox (and Thunderbird 10). You will need to go into about :config and manually add the Boolean Preference extensions.checkCompatibility.10.0a and set to FALSE.Once you restart Firefox your add-ons should be working again.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

MachinTrucChose posted:

I guess I spoke in haste. The add-on situation is STILL not resolved. Aurora just notified me of a new update, which wants to disable 75% of my add-ons. So add-ons I installed on last week's Aurora don't work on this week's? Really? And you think I'm going to update? Mozilla, you are complete idiots. I use Firefox for the add-ons, I thought I'd help Mozilla out by going along with their new release cycles, but my time is too important to deal with this poo poo. Hopefully it's resolved next year or something. I'll try updating then. Just fix the goddamn problem already.

(Yes, I know I can disable add-on compatibility checking. But that just means if there's a genuine compatibility issue I'd have to spend my own time hunting it down).

tl;dr: I wanted to be at the bleeding edge alongside Mozilla and report feedback and poo poo, but their incompetence is forcing me to not update anytime soon.
You are on the Aurora/Alpha channel, the whole point of that channel is so you can tell mozilla which addons are broken so they don't auto update the version number and bork beta/release channel users and to tell addon makers which bugs need to be fixed. Its obvious you hate being on the bleeding edge just move to beta channel and you'll much happier.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Fangs404 posted:

I wonder if it has something to do with hardware acceleration. I bet safe mode doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled. Try disabling that to see if it fixes your issue (options -> advanced -> uncheck hardware acceleration). If it does, maybe try updating your graphics drivers (do that anyway).

Disabling Hardware Acceleration greatly improved the Gmail performance on my Windows system. It's now close to that of Firefox on my Mac system.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Gmail is hosed up for me on Firefox 8 (windows 7 pc)

The body of each message is hidden. Same with the IM window. I logged in using chrome and it worked fine. What's going on?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

clockworkjoe posted:

The body of each message is hidden. Same with the IM window. I logged in using chrome and it worked fine. What's going on?

Maybe a hosed up extension? Try disabling them all and re-enabling one by one.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Fangs404 posted:

Maybe a hosed up extension? Try disabling them all and re-enabling one by one.

Adblock plus 1.3.10 caused it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Which means that one of the filter sets you're subscribed to caused it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
No problems so far other than getting instant crashes each time I try to access my bookmarks.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Wankie posted:

You are on the Aurora/Alpha channel, the whole point of that channel is so you can tell mozilla which addons are broken so they don't auto update the version number and bork beta/release channel users and to tell addon makers which bugs need to be fixed. Its obvious you hate being on the bleeding edge just move to beta channel and you'll much happier.

Moving to the beta channel then, thanks for the advice.

Doesn't change the fact that Mozilla isn't doing what it can/should to help developers have a sane way of making plugins work in any version. Adding stuff like HTML5 support and WebGL shouldn't be breaking an add-on that lets me customize the context menu.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

MachinTrucChose posted:

Moving to the beta channel then, thanks for the advice.

Doesn't change the fact that Mozilla isn't doing what it can/should to help developers have a sane way of making plugins work in any version. Adding stuff like HTML5 support and WebGL shouldn't be breaking an add-on that lets me customize the context menu.

You missed the point: alphas aren't convenient to use. It's an alpha. There isn't even a guarantee that it won't crash after 15 seconds of use because it's an alpha. If you use the current release version or even a stable beta you would not have to deal with those things.

Next freak out on the Win8 developer preview for not properly supporting some old piece of poo poo app you're in love with.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So on firefox 8 is stylish and userstsyles working correctly for any one else?

it says it's updated and enabled, i only use the 1 stylish script "mark links as visited" the script doesn't appear to be working.

i've downgraded back to 3.6.24 currently, and it's working perfectly normal, but on version 8 doesn't

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Atrocious Pirate posted:

So on firefox 8 is stylish and userstsyles working correctly for any one else?

it says it's updated and enabled, i only use the 1 stylish script "mark links as visited" the script doesn't appear to be working.

i've downgraded back to 3.6.24 currently, and it's working perfectly normal, but on version 8 doesn't

Stylish works perfectly for me on 8, Scriptish does as well.

Why the heck would you go all the way back to 3.6 instead of 7 or 6?

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Anyone having issues with Silverlight, specifically Netflix, in Firefox 8 (I'm on Lion)? Movies play fine but keyboard commands like spacebar to pause work sporadically in window view but work consistently in full screen view. Everything seems to work okay in Chrome/Safari.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

Stylish works perfectly for me on 8, Scriptish does as well.

Why the heck would you go all the way back to 3.6 instead of 7 or 6?

mainly because i really just don't like the new interface, i love the old 3.6 interface and it still displays webpages without issues. Mozilla is still releasing security patch's so no harm no foul. :)

Will try once again uninstalling & deleting the old profile stuff, then doing a complete clean re-install to ff8 and try again.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Does it make sense to run both NoScript and Ghostery? Looks like some of their features overlap a bit and that can get messy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

clockworkjoe posted:

Update your AdBlock filter subs - the same issue appears on Safari/Chrome as well.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

crestfallen posted:

Does it make sense to run both NoScript and Ghostery? Looks like some of their features overlap a bit and that can get messy.

I run both and while the features do overlap I haven't noticed any negative impact.

Levo
Aug 19, 2002
woah guys I posted again!
GChat was hosed for me too when I updated to FF8. Figured out its adblock. Updating filters fixed it.

Levo fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Atrocious Pirate posted:

mainly because i really just don't like the new interface, i love the old 3.6 interface and it still displays webpages without issues. Mozilla is still releasing security patch's so no harm no foul. :)
There are Firefox 3 themes for Firefox 4+...