Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there an in-world explanation for why most of the bonfires don't need firekeepers, that I missed?

Maybe your dude owns so much that bonfires don't go out because they're the best firekeeper ever.

So ballin' that going hollow does absolutely nothing to you at all.

(also why your character is the best candidate for being the chosen one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Storywise you aren't actually going hollow, you're just getting really close.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I just finished up my first foray into jolly cooperation and it was great. It was in the depths. We were invaded by someone I think took me out last night, but with two people he was easy. The gaping dragon fight was really cool but Solaire bit it. Time to upgrade my stuff a bit more and keep doing this for a while because of how fun it is.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought I understood how to glitch Ceaseless Discharge, but all he did was open up his flame tube and melt me at the fog door. I eventually solo'd him by hulking out with iron flesh and just standing inside his tentacles.

And bummer that the Catarina pair don't use the Catarina models under their helmets (though having not met Sieglinde yet, I'm amused to learn she wears one too!)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Lessail posted:

I just finished up my first foray into jolly cooperation and it was great. It was in the depths. We were invaded by someone I think took me out last night, but with two people he was easy. The gaping dragon fight was really cool but Solaire bit it. Time to upgrade my stuff a bit more and keep doing this for a while because of how fun it is.

Was his name Kirk? Because if so, that's a scripted NPC invasion that always takes place in the Depths, at one specific point.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lotish posted:

And bummer that the Catarina pair don't use the Catarina models under their helmets (though having not met Sieglinde yet, I'm amused to learn she wears one too!)
I rescued her the first time and I was expecting another Dusk of Oolacile in a dress, then this armored onion knight fell out.

Speaking of Dusk, it's kind of annoying that her armor buffs magic. I'm so sick of wearing it. I'm wearing other stuff now, just so I can stop wearing that stupid dress.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Lotish posted:

I thought I understood how to glitch Ceaseless Discharge, but all he did was open up his flame tube and melt me at the fog door. I eventually solo'd him by hulking out with iron flesh and just standing inside his tentacles.

You mean the thing where he leaps and falls? That's not a glitch but you have to do it on the first time you fight him, it doesn't work if he's already hostile since you would obviously just have to stand there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Elysiume posted:

Speaking of Dusk, it's kind of annoying that her armor buffs magic. I'm so sick of wearing it. I'm wearing other stuff now, just so I can stop wearing that stupid dress.

It's only the headpiece that buffs magic.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Lotish posted:

They do, they've just changed the skin tone to white for some dumb reason. You can see Siegmeyer has that jubilant smile.

I finally got around to talking to him at Sen's and his dismissal of rolling as a method of movement made me laugh.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Elysiume posted:

You could say that the characters of people who rage quit and return the game before finishing it do fully go hollow.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Volitaire posted:

What about the sun crown?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Volitaire posted:

Really? I had read that the chestpiece gave a 10% buff. Time to test it, I guess.

edit: Nope, I was lied to. I'm free :qq:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Sif is boring and annoying. How is he good? Half the time he's jumping across the zone and I just need to plod around after him.

If you come across Sif the first time as low SL with a Drake sword as your best weapon it is some epic poo poo. Those time he jumps away are breather moments for anyone not way overpowered for the encounter.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Elysiume posted:

This is probably true.

Almost all of the player's actions could be explained as 'he went hollow.' You are, after all, just randomly murdering things at the behest of creatures no one else ever interacts with.

The only time you do anything with purpose other than random violence is when you burn a Humanity to co-op or invade.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Emron posted:

Was his name Kirk? Because if so, that's a scripted NPC invasion that always takes place in the Depths, at one specific point.

Yeah it was. Maybe after a while I'll take him down on my own to see what happens. I got my pyromancy flame to +6 so I am ready to cooperate so hard.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Drox posted:

What about the sun crown?

The dusk crown buffs sorceries, miracles and pyromancy by about 25%.

The sun crown I remember buffing sorcery, probably miracles and pyromancy as well at 12.5% or so.

The sorcery ring buffs sorceries and pyromancy by about 25%.

The miracle ring buffs only miracles at I think it was 25%.

The buffs multiply rather than add iirc.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

When you start a NG+, are you still in any covenants you ended your game in?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Requested_Username posted:

When you start a NG+, are you still in any covenants you ended your game in?

Yep.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Easier method for beating him.

1. Do not have a greatshield in your left hand.
2. Wait for him to swing his arm back, press L2.
3. Press R1.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 four to five times, depending on your weapon.
5. Pick your ending. :toot:

I repeated steps 1-3 once, man bandit knife+hornet ring is something broken.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
aaaaaaargj the worst boss in this game is that loving elevator at the end of blighttown

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Captain Beans posted:

aaaaaaargj the worst boss in this game is that loving elevator at the end of blighttown
Really? What's causing the problem?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I've come to really like the iron round shield from Shiva.

Its defenses and stability are so-so, but its deflection is the same as a tower shield at a low weight of 5. It misses out on some stability compared to the eagle shield, but it retains the medium shield parry rather than bash (which as far as I know is a bad ability).

Also, on my fairly dexy character, I've been fitting in combustions during the stagger off the shield so that it'll do more damage (1.4x normal). I tried doing this on my strengthy character as well, but without the dexterity speeding up the combustion cast, it wasn't reliable.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Captain Beans posted:

lmao yeah I agree. If you walk to the edge of it and turn around, when you get to the drop point you can hit dodge and he'll jump back on the platform. Seemed to work best for me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really? What's causing the problem?

There's a gap when going up that you have to jump over to get onto the stationary part. If you try to walk (or even roll it seems) it's like your character weighs 600lbs and just falls down instantly and dies.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

darkhand posted:

lmao yeah I agree. If you walk to the edge of it and turn around, when you get to the drop point you can hit dodge and he'll jump back on the platform. Seemed to work best for me.
What?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was always so smug about that thing. :smug: Heh, scrubs, I get it every time.
Until I died three times to it the other night.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

darkhand posted:

There's a gap when going up that you have to jump over to get onto the stationary part. If you try to walk (or even roll it seems) it's like your character weighs 600lbs and just falls down instantly and dies.
Huh, I must have gotten on and off that elevator hundreds of times and have only fallen like once.

That log beside it that goes over the water sluice thing, THAT is what always kills me.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Elysiume posted:

What?

On the waterwheel there's a plank you have to stand on to go up. If you walk near the part of the plank closest to where you have to jump from, then face the opposite direction, you can dodge backwards onto the stationary part really easily. Basically you want to position yourself so when you push dodge he'll hop backwards over the gap. Worked for me :v:

IDK maybe I was trying it wrong and you have to ride it and get completely on top of it, then it's easier? Blighttown is about the only place in any video game I was scared of heights in, so I tried doing that part as fast as possible.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 9, 2011

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

darkhand posted:

I've found it far easier to just wait till I'm on the very top of the wheel, as opposed to level with the stationary platform. From there you can jump/roll/walk off no problem.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lost Izalith......just.....so many dinosaur asses......:stare:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

darkhand posted:

On the waterwheel there's a plank you have to stand on to go up. If you walk near the part of the plank closest to where you have to jump from, then face the opposite direction, you can dodge backwards onto the stationary part really easily. Basically you want to position yourself so when you push dodge he'll hop backwards over the gap. Worked for me :v:
On rereading it was the "he" in what you said that confused me. Like you were forcing some AI to jump somewhere.

I haven't died since the second time I took the elevator. Just fall onto the platform when you're getting on, fall off on the way down, and just start walking early off on the way up.

edit: Getting shafted and invading someone in NG+ is a load of crap.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 9, 2011

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Penny_Dreadful posted:

If you come across Sif the first time as low SL with a Drake sword as your best weapon it is some epic poo poo. Those time he jumps away are breather moments for anyone not way overpowered for the encounter.

It seems like the game kind of expects you to be pretty high level for Sif though, seeing as it costs 20k to buy the Crest of Artorias. You can use the back path, but it doesn't seem like the intended direction for players to go, considering that it's miles away from a bonfire and forces you to fight the hydra. Sif is also guarded by the forest covenant members and the rolling cats, which are fairly upper tier enemies. Lastly, you don't even have a reason to go there until you want to fight the four kings.

If you're level 14 with a wooden shield +0, I'm sure Sif is a massive pain in the rear end. But I really don't think you're supposed to be level 14 with a wooden shield +0 at that point, and once you get some half decent equipment the fight is a trivially boring joke.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Penny_Dreadful posted:

One of the small handful of failures on the games part imo is that if you play it in a "natural" progression you will be way over-leveled for Sif, catacombs, and to a lesser extent the first half of New Londo Ruins.

In NG+ I realized the catacombs are really tough and it's a pretty intense level. I just didn't know that on my first run because I could one shot literally everything in there.

The other failure is of course broken multi-player. GRRRRRR, why can't it just be like Demon's Souls :cry: .

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 9, 2011

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I've just been blundering through the game on a first playthrough and none of the bosses so far have been particularly hard (I just killed Sif at SL30 or something) but I have been pumping every crafting material into my shield and boosting end/vit over every other stat and just tanking stuff. I kind of wanted to try and be a bit more finessed but I seem to be absurdly awful at ripostes (it doesn't help that I don't really fine the shoulder/trigger buttons on the 360 very comfortable)

I did waste about 3 or 4 hours trying to run around that loving deathtrap full of ghosts while cursed because I didn't know where the vendor that sells the items to remove curses was :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I think I hate PvP. It seems like every single fight is against:
1. Someone from NG+ with completely stacked gear
2. Someone who has absolutely trash gear and I stomp

It sucks fighting people from the first group, and I straight up feel bad killing people from the second group.

Also parrying in PvP is impossible and dumb.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Adrian Owlsley posted:

You mean the thing where he leaps and falls? That's not a glitch but you have to do it on the first time you fight him, it doesn't work if he's already hostile since you would obviously just have to stand there.

If you screw it up the first time you can do it again but you have to lead him back to where he was standing originally, which I did by running to where I picked up the armour then running back to the fog door.

Can be sort of risky since he'll be trying to set you on fire the whole time.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I think I hate PvP. It seems like every single fight is against:
1. Someone from NG+ with completely stacked gear
2. Someone who has absolutely trash gear and I stomp

It sucks fighting people from the first group, and I straight up feel bad killing people from the second group.

Also parrying in PvP is impossible and dumb.

Use parryings weapon like whips, parrying dagger, pricilla's tail, rapier ormail breaker. They are ultra fast and dont have long recovery times like sheilds. Actually I'm sure the rapier and mail breaker parries can be used more than twice a second, so if you miss you still have a chance to screw over a slow attack or the second attack if its a weak weapon. Sheilds are for parrying mobs, give dual wielding a go.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RADmadness posted:

Use parryings weapon like whips, parrying dagger, pricilla's tail, rapier ormail breaker. They are ultra fast and dont have long recovery times like sheilds. Actually I'm sure the rapier and mail breaker parries can be used more than twice a second, so if you miss you still have a chance to screw over a slow attack or the second attack if its a weak weapon. Sheilds are for parrying mobs, give dual wielding a go.
Nah, it just goes through their weapon. Any amount of lag makes it impossible. I also just completely destroyed two people in a row, and I'm sick of this. I want fights, not one-sided stomps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

I can't believe people are having problems with this. It's just an elevtor. I must have gone up and down that thing 30 times without ever coming close to dying. what is the issue?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

NESguerilla posted:

One of the small handful of failures on the games part imo is that if you play it in a "natural" progression you will be way over-leveled for Sif, catacombs, and to a lesser extent the first half of New Londo Ruins.

I blundered around randomly as I went through, and I made trips into New Londo and the Forest earlier than I needed to for any good reason. If you don't know ahead of time what order to hit stuff, having more than one area that is survivable at once encourages exploration. If they had scaled the forest or all of New Londo to be a full on challenge for high level characters that are on their way to the end game, the whole game becomes a lot more linear and the correct path becomes glaringly obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Nah, it just goes through their weapon. Any amount of lag makes it impossible. I also just completely destroyed two people in a row, and I'm sick of this. I want fights, not one-sided stomps.

Even when you get an even fight someone will inevitable pull out a +20 pyro hand, lag-combustion through their shield somehow and 2-shot the other person

• Locked thread