Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

IOwnCalculus posted:

ursa: Clogged cat? Loose spark plug?

Oh wow, I hadn't thought about a clogged cat, but that would explain a lot of other weird things about the car. I'll take a look at it tomorrow, and double-check the plugs, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've never dealt with a clogged cat until I hopped in my brother's Civic the other day. It idled fine-ish (pig rich but running), but as soon as I gave it any gas, it would get ricer loud (stock exhaust) and generally do a whole lot of nothing. Almost no power, and apparently if I had tried to drive it for a couple miles, it would've overheated eventually. Shortly afterwards I noticed a loud hissing noise, popped the hood, and saw it had blown a 1" section of the header-to-downpipe gasket clean out thanks to the cat being clogged to hell.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So... Sheared off one of the front wheel studs today, stupid loving shop managed to cross-thread one of the nuts and when I went to get it off well.

Anyways, I picked up a new nut & stud, but the nut is different from whats on there currently and the stud looks short. Anyone know what the size is supposed to be for the stud, and honestly, if it will cause any issues if it's different from the other ones? (provided it fits in properly of course) Will I have any issues with one nut being different?

The stud is 1.75" long, and the nut is 12-1.5. Old nut is the short one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aside from aesthetics, the only time a lug nut would ever be a problem would be if either you can't thread it on deep enough (your new one is taller, so that's unlikely) or, in this case, if the cone at the base is a different angle.

I had to replace a couple studs on my NB, I can't say I remember how long they were. As long as it extends through long enough to get a proper engagement from the lugnut, you should be just fine. I've heard that ideal is having as many threads engaged as the diameter (i.e. if it's a 1/2" diameter stud, you'd want 1/2" of threads engaged)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Alright, that's about what I figured. How stupid is it to drive on 3? I don't have a big hammer to pound out the broken one, so I get to go buy one. I assume procedure is just remove wheel, take off caliper, take off rotor, pound out stud, seat stud using washers + lug nut, put rotor/caliper/wheel back on?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TrueChaos posted:

How stupid is it to drive on 3?

I dunno how dumb it is, but I unknowingly did so (stupid bolt covers) for months in my NA.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TrueChaos posted:

Alright, that's about what I figured. How stupid is it to drive on 3?

Take the weight of the car, divide by 16. This is the weight that is riding on each individual lug. Divide by three, this is the extra weight that the remaining lugs will pick up. Granted the numbers will be higher as you're cornering, but as long as you're not flogging the car you should be fine to, say, drive to a parts store to pick up a replacement.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not recommended at all, but you can do it. Some retard at autox was flabbergasted when Fatcow failed him for tech inspection for having 3 lugs on one of his wheels.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Something ignition/timing related broke on my car just now. Will have to look at it tomorrow morning. I took what I guess you could call a 'stressful' turn, and it started sputtering and wanting to stall, feels sort of like it's running on two cylinders. No CEL (obd2 car). Car starts still but it's running like poop. Hmmmmmmm Ideas?

Guessing CAS/coil pack. Meh.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
CAS has nothing to do with it unless if it is free to move around in the back. Unlikely that it's the coilpack (unless if you have an NB, then it's likely); for the coilpack, check to see if the coils have been burnt to a crisp by remove the sparkplug boots.

Remember, for an engine to work it needs air, ignition and fuel.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Hah. Went outside to look around in the dark to see if anything super obvious was wrong. Oh hey, spark plug sitting on top of the valve cover... that just might be the problem :wtc:.

Weird. Last time I touched the plugs was like a year ago. Wonder why it decided to pop out now. Hot/cold cycling from the weather? I was throwing the car around somewhat hard tonight but don't remember redlining it tonight or any time this week. When it happened I doing no more than 4k rpm I'm sure. Shouldn't have been any more pressure than usual. Maybe I oversteered the spark plug out.

Will find out tomorrow if the threads in the head were stripped. Hope not.

edit: Also didn't this happen on Top Gear?

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 6, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

TrueChaos posted:

Alright, that's about what I figured. How stupid is it to drive on 3? I don't have a big hammer to pound out the broken one, so I get to go buy one. I assume procedure is just remove wheel, take off caliper, take off rotor, pound out stud, seat stud using washers + lug nut, put rotor/caliper/wheel back on?

It's not a great idea to drive around on three lugs but it will probably be fine as long as you don't do anything too strenous with it. I drove my old Saturn with a busted wheel stud for almost a year with no issues. However, if your wheel ends up passing you on the freeway it's your own dumb rear end fault for not fixing it right away.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Piano posted:

Hah. Went outside to look around in the dark to see if anything super obvious was wrong. Oh hey, spark plug sitting on top of the valve cover... that just might be the problem :wtc:.

Happened to mine a couple years ago when I was out on a drive, blew the plug out of the head and stripped it out. Had to get tow 15 miles back home since it wouldn't run more than about 10 seconds.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Screwed it back in and drove a good 30 miles. So far so good. Brought the spark plug socket with me just in case.

Still don't get what happened but I'll gladly take a free repair...

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Bought another NA today.

Engine: 1.6, 237rwhp FM2 kit with big radiator. Open exhaust SO loving LOUD needs a muffler asap.

Suspension: Revalved Konis, 500/450 (not as bad as I thought) springs, RB front sway

Chassis: Hard dog bar, FM butterfly brace

Interior: Momo Sport cups, harnesses, etc.

Also has 15x9 UL9s and '01 sport brakes. So far so good... just too loving noisy. Should fix that soon. $7000. Not too terrible. Anybody got a suggestion for a QUIET 2.5" muffler?

Blaise fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 6, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nice car, love those wheels so much. They're up they're with the BBS basketweaves as the best NA wheels.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Blaise posted:

Bought another NA today.

Engine: 1.6, 237rwhp FM2 kit with big radiator. Open exhaust SO loving LOUD needs a muffler asap.

Suspension: Revalved Konis, 500/450 (not as bad as I thought) springs, RB front sway

Also has 15x9 UL9s and '01 sport brakes. So far so good... just too loving noisy. Should fix that soon. $7000. Not too terrible. Anybody got a suggestion for a QUIET 2.5" muffler?

God drat that's a beautiful car. I'd love to have something like that. Congrats!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Awesome - post vids please!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Piano posted:

Screwed it back in and drove a good 30 miles. So far so good. Brought the spark plug socket with me just in case.

Still don't get what happened but I'll gladly take a free repair...

Update (not that anyone cares): have a very mild intermittent misfire now at idle when warmed up (only once or twice while sitting at a light for a minute or so). Will try new wires/plugs.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Blaise posted:

Bought another NA today.

Definitely a pretty car. What'd you talk him down to? I saw it on MT.net and thought it was a pretty impressive car.

Also, get a big magnaflow. I've got it on my car with no cat and it's perfectly fine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

Careful. One butter lug might be enough to annoy you with an imbalance on the highway.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

DreamOn13 posted:

Definitely a pretty car. What'd you talk him down to? I saw it on MT.net and thought it was a pretty impressive car.

Also, get a big magnaflow. I've got it on my car with no cat and it's perfectly fine.

As you quoted, I paid $7k. I was looking at big magnaflow. Which size did you get? Unfortunately the way the piping is bent on my setup I think it'll take a little more than just splicing it in.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I bought it off another guy, so I'm not sure which one it is. Mine does a couple of 90 degree bends right at the rear by the diff where there's that huge space for a big muffler so about any size fits in there.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Careful. One butter lug might be enough to annoy you with an imbalance on the highway.

Yeah, it's working for now but I'm going to stop by the parts place tomorrow and see if they've got any like the ones I've got.

Also, yay for excuses to buy a nice hammer from crappy tire.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Blaise posted:

As you quoted, I paid $7k. I was looking at big magnaflow. Which size did you get? Unfortunately the way the piping is bent on my setup I think it'll take a little more than just splicing it in.

How much of an issue is traction in a Miata with that much power and those tires?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's more of what the gear ratios are. For higher HP cars, 1st and 2nd can be worthless.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Grayham posted:

How much of an issue is traction in a Miata with that much power and those tires?

It's only at 9psi right now (~200whp) and 1st gear is just fine when the tires are warm. It's pretty much as fast as I'd want a street car to get though (once I turn it back up to 12, I mean).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Grayham posted:

They hook up surprisingly well. My old car with a built 1.6 with a decent-sized turbo running 18-20psi (275+whp), and regular performance tires, could keep traction with a minimum of throttle modulation. If you wanted wheelspin, though, it was available at any legal speed with the right gear/throttle application.

That's in the dry, of course. In the wet, any boost = wheelspin.

Blaise -- you'll get used to it and want to turn it up higher.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Ha. Thanks. I also got used to my 92whp and was happy til now :)

Doesn't the transmission tend to die up past 250whp?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Blaise posted:

Ha. Thanks. I also got used to my 92whp and was happy til now :)

Doesn't the transmission tend to die up past 250whp?

Power corrupts, even in car form.

I think there are a lot of variables with the powertrain crapping out. The early differentials will die with a turbo. My '92 blew its up several months after turbo install. My '90 had a Torsen rear in place when I got it.

My '92 chewed up second gear and I put a '99 transmission in and never had any more problems. I have no idea what was in my '90, the second owner had a couple spares and I don't know what happened with the two owners between me and him. I didn't have a problem with the transmission, though, even with frequent use of 18+psi. I try to show some mechanical empathy to cars, though... no speed shifts or clutch drops.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Yeah, FYI the 1.6 diffs WILL blow up even if you look at them the wrong way. Boosting in any capacity just seals the fate even quicker. You better hope you have a Torsen in that thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I was driving my FL NB today, and noticed that I was actually doing exactly 0km/h the whole time. Apparently the speedometer is hosed somehow, though occasionally the needle jumped up a bit, and eventually it seemed to fix itself one I got up to some decent speed. Any ideas what can I check to diagnose this? I really need to fix this, as although this might be a good excuse for a cop, the cameras are loving everywhere and give no fucks about anything.

Edit: Never mind, this is apparently a common issue that's caused by dirt/corrosion on the sensor contacts. The issue also hasn't reappeared so far, so I'll leave it safe from my intervention for now.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 10, 2011

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Mr.AARP posted:

Yeah, FYI the 1.6 diffs WILL blow up even if you look at them the wrong way. Boosting in any capacity just seals the fate even quicker. You better hope you have a Torsen in that thing.

:lol: Don't worry of course it does.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
So I'm doing the clutch on my '96 here soon, and I'm thinking about a lightweight flywheel. Any opinions, stories, or ideas?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I made it through last winter with all seasons and a set of chains but since the PNW has no idea how to plow roads I figured I should get some thing a little more appropriate this year. I have a set of michelin X-ices on the way from tire rack. Now the only question is what ridiculous color to paint my winter steelies. I'm thinking lime green.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Mezmerized Machine posted:

So I'm doing the clutch on my '96 here soon, and I'm thinking about a lightweight flywheel. Any opinions, stories, or ideas?

I got an 11 pound flywheel for a 1.6 (with the 1.6 clutch) installed in my '99 two months ago, and if there's any additional difficulty in shifting, it's really hard to tell. It does rev slightly better, but (at least in my case) it seems less of a night and day sort of thing and more of an incremental shift.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Mezmerized Machine posted:

I didn't notice much of a difference between my two NAs (one turbo with lightweight one without). Then again the ultralight 10lb one might be a bit more of a difference.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can shift a hair faster and experience flywheel chatter under deacceleration.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Saw this at the track yesterday and decided it's the perfect car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

djfooboo posted:

Saw this at the track yesterday and decided it's the perfect car.

Fixt. I wish they made more of the coupes.