Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
Yes, Tom, it's fanservice. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Waffnuffly posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351001&pagenumber=83&perpage=40#post394974181

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
The best kind of fanservice. Yes, I do like swords. :allears:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Geez, look at all the robot gaze in today's Gunnerkrigg. And I'll just bet it's a symbolic bot, isn't it?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fecha posted:

Fanservice without a single inch of skin :allears:

Parley should keep in mind that Jeanne uses an actual sword and not just a fencing foil! The first parry in particular wouldn't be a good idea against a blade, I imagine...

I guess I don't really know a whole lot about swords, but does this epee/longsword matchup seem a little... unbalanced to anyone else? Poor Robot was at a disadvantage from the start :(

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Holy loving christ what the hell is wrong with that guy

Anyway I don't wanna dredge that poo poo back up so consider me informed. Thanks :stare:

Back on track. There is something genuinely, absurdly hilarious about a fencer fighting a robot that I just can't explain.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wonder if Robot is constrained by Asimov's three laws.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

loquacius posted:

I guess I don't really know a whole lot about swords, but does this epee/longsword matchup seem a little... unbalanced to anyone else? Poor Robot was at a disadvantage from the start :(

Robot knows his way with swords. Still, a bad match up sword-wise.

Fangz posted:

Of course, but with additional caveats.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 9, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

loquacius posted:

(Speaking as someone who has done fencing for a couple of years.)

Well, the epee is a lighter weapon. But that also means it's faster, so Robot should have an offensive advantage. Overanalysing, but his problem seems to be that he's overreaching with his lunges when his sword favours a more cautious, probing approach.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 9, 2011

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Epee? I see a fencing foil with a saber guard.

Also there's some serious over-lunging going on in panel 3.

:bahgawd:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Please tell me these two pages were a response to that insanity. :allears:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Perestroika posted:

Nah, Tom's got like a three month buffer and more integrity than that.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Over-analyzing the strategy in this particular bout seems a bit unnecessary, guys. It's a beautiful page with an excellent sense of motion. And swords. Swords are cool.

Also the longsword clearly has the range advantage as well as the advantage of being an actual weapon instead of sports equipment. Besides, the starting range is clearly too close for both fighters, and furthermore...
:goonsay:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Robot probably still has a range advantage here even with a shorter sword. He's using a one-handed fencing stance, whereas Parley is forced to hold her sword with both hands. He can extend it to the full length of his arm, but she's limited to what she can reach with the opposite arm. Take a look at that first "panel": she's got her sword about as far forward as she could possibly put it while keeping her back straight, whereas he's got his elbow, shoulder, and back all bent backwards to keep their swords in same space. You can also see that her stance forces her to present a full-body target to Robot, whereas his target area is just his side. She's bigger than he is, which helps with the range but means her target area is even /bigger/. I'd say robot has definitely got an offensive advantage here even with a foil.

Robot isn't really capitalizing on his advantages, though. I wonder if it's just the warmup, or if he's taking it easy on her. Or if he isn't as good a swordsman when Bullfighting Mode is inactive. (That said, even that was a pre-arranged show, not necessarily a generic sword-fighting program.)

Also, this page is wonderful and I don't care if it's fanservice.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

All I'm saying is that if Parley thinks beating Robot means she can match Jeanne then she's got another thing coming. Also I wonder if Diego gave Robot a special secret anti-Jeanne battle mode, haha.

EDIT: Also if she really wanted to beat Jeanne she should be brushing up on her English quarterstaff technique. If you want to read some medieval weapon-sperging (and plentiful anti-Italian rhetoric), check out section 21 of http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/paradoxes.html

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 9, 2011

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Fangz posted:

All I'm saying is that if Parley thinks beating Robot means she can match Jeanne then she's got another thing coming. Also I wonder if Diego gave Robot a special secret anti-Jeanne battle mode, haha.

EDIT: Also if she really wanted to beat Jeanne she should be brushing up on her English quarterstaff technique. If you want to read some medieval weapon-sperging (and plentiful anti-Italian rhetoric), check out section 21 of http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/paradoxes.html

Parley did say in the previous strip that she knows that she can't beat Jeanne, but the least she can do is by the rest enough time to do something about the situation. So my guess will be she's training herself as best she can to counter or block quick strikes enough to at least stalemate. Should be interesting to watch when it comes up. I wonder if Smitty will be there too. What happens when you put order to a sword fight. :stare:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Revolver Bunker posted:

Parley did say in the previous strip that she knows that she can't beat Jeanne, but the least she can do is by the rest enough time to do something about the situation. So my guess will be she's training herself as best she can to counter or block quick strikes enough to at least stalemate. Should be interesting to watch when it comes up. I wonder if Smitty will be there too. What happens when you put order to a sword fight. :stare:

I would imagine you'd end up with a rpg like scenario, where parties just stand on opposite sides and take turns cutting the other person.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fangz posted:

Robot may have been a bit touched to begin with, either when he was shoved in the supply closet or when he went to the forest, but if I had to guess, I'd say he sees his duty to protect the humans (and the girls Angel in particular) as a mission to eliminate the forest creatures who tried to force him to kill Annie. God-dogs aren't people, after all.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I like how ChibiSoma never posted in this thread again after that.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Perestroika posted:

I'm pretty sure those were the pages that precipitated the meltdown, actually. Never mind how accurate that whole exchange was, WHY WON'T THEY JUST ADMIT THEIR LOVE :qq:

But my favorite thing is the cool-dude finger guns Kat gives her. Truly the smoothest method of extricating yourself from an awkward conversation.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm pretty sure those were the pages that precipitated the meltdown, actually. Never mind how accurate that whole exchange was, WHY WON'T THEY JUST ADMIT THEIR LOVE :qq:

But my favorite thing is the cool-dude finger guns Kat gives her. Truly the smoothest method of extricating yourself from an awkward conversation.

Yeah, the page that brought on the meltdown was the one right after those two: this one. Because look how close together they're standing! :rant:

Then the thread spent the next few weeks relentlessly mocking Chibisoma as it was proven time and time again in multiple ways that Annie and Jack weren't into each other. At all.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

That guy cared way too much about shipping two 13(?) year old girls together. Maybe someone can introduce him to Avatar: The Last Airbender (it attracts all kinds of psychotic shippers) and people can laugh him out of that thread too.

I wonder if Parley will work her teleporting into her fighting. Why parry an oncoming attack when you can just bip behind someone?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

sitchelin posted:

I wonder if Parley will work her teleporting into her fighting. Why parry an oncoming attack when you can just bip behind someone?

I was thinking this, myself, actually. I like a comic that makes me think about it during my day. :)

Also wondered if it would work in the ether, or if they could bring Smitface in with them to stack the odds.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

sitchelin posted:

I was under the impression that Parley still doesn't have a whole lot of control over her teleporting unless Andrew is helping her. Not to mention teleporting around in a fight would probably be disorienting as hell. If she were to pop behind Jeanne but facing the wrong direction, she'd likely end up with two feet of ghost sword sticking through her chest.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

1stGear posted:

I was under the impression that Parley still doesn't have a whole lot of control over her teleporting unless Andrew is helping her. Not to mention teleporting around in a fight would probably be disorienting as hell. If she were to pop behind Jeanne but facing the wrong direction, she'd likely end up with two feet of ghost sword sticking through her chest.

Reminds me of this:

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Geez, look at all the robot gaze in today's Gunnerkrigg. And I'll just bet it's a symbolic bot, isn't it?

I laughed at this quite a bit.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Calm down, Kat. Not everyone thinks you're a lesbian!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

dumb brunette posted:

Yeah, the page that brought on the meltdown was the one right after those two: this one. Because look how close together they're standing! :rant:

Then the thread spent the next few weeks relentlessly mocking Chibisoma as it was proven time and time again in multiple ways that Annie and Jack weren't into each other. At all.

And it just keeps getting better.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Fecha posted:

Calm down, Kat. Not everyone thinks you're a lesbian!

Ahahaha, I guess that whole Paz thing hosed with her head a bit.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Haha, oops. Someone had enough.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Poor Kat, you fall in love with one bird and everyone just assumes you are into chicks from there on out.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Talorat posted:

Poor Kat, you fall in love with one bird and everyone just assumes you are into chicks from there on out.

:golfclap:

Kat's definitely a bit overly self-concious now. A touch I also liked on the previous page, was Shadow 2 moving around on Robot through-out the match.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah that was pretty cool. I like pretty much everything about the whole robot and shadow 2 dynamic they got going.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I guess everyone just assumes Kat's a lesbian because she's a mechanic and wears overalls a lot. Obviously the truth is that she was staring at Robby, though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think it's more just her reading too much into stuff after Paz interpreted her and Antimony's friendship was more than that, I guess? She's getting defensive now.

E: Renyardine acting like some kind of lady connisuer is sort of weird given he's a fox come on Renyardine you are/ were kind of a creeper when you lust after human women :stare:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 11, 2011

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Right, that seems to be exactly the case.

On another note, I'm up nights due to my work schedule. It's cool that the update schedule is so reliable. Plenty of other comics with a "regular" schedule can't be depended on, but I can get my Gunnerkrigg fix. I'm loving this chapter so far.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 11, 2011

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Andrew is so chill he doesn't even mind that the fox god sitting next to him is ogling his girlfriend too.

Has Kat ever worn anything like that pink, flowered hairband before? That conversation with Paz has really shaken her :ohdear:.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Oneiros posted:

Andrew is so chill he doesn't even mind that the fox god sitting next to him is ogling his girlfriend too.

Has Kat ever worn anything like that pink, flowered hairband before? That conversation with Paz has really shaken her :ohdear:.

Now I can just picture Kat's appearance getting girlier and girlier with each chapter until she's wearing caked-on makeup, hair extensions, and a long flowy evening gown with a fifteen-foot train held up by robot manservants.

And then Paz will walk by and go "wow, I didn't know drag queens went to our school".

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Ironic Twist posted:

Now I can just picture Kat's appearance getting girlier and girlier with each chapter until she's wearing caked-on makeup, hair extensions, and a long flowy evening gown with a fifteen-foot train held up by robot manservants.

And then Paz will walk by and go "wow, I didn't know drag queens went to our school".

We've been close before, I guess.

e: also that's the part of the archives where I noticed the art getting better and got excited :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

mrpwase posted:

also that's the part of the archives where I noticed the art getting better and got excited :3:

Speaking of that, I just found this piece Tom made for Halloween ages ago. It's great.

This is also the point where GC started to stick to a more unique art style, as can be seen by this recent canvas when compared to the image above.