Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

doomfunk posted:

I don't think Eingyi ascends, does he? I thought he just did basic upgrades and sold a couple sells and Vermifuges.

Yeah, I think you're right now that I checked the internets. So just the chick.

Here's a link NES

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Quelana+of+Izalith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

doomfunk posted:

I don't think Eingyi ascends, does he? I thought he just did basic upgrades and sold a couple sells and Vermifuges.

Yeah he doesn't ascend. Swamp chick never appeared for me this time either. Not sure why.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What's a good armor setup for a strength build assuming that I want to stay under 50% equip at 40 end? I'm having trouble figuring one out since the weapons weigh so drat much. Between my weapon/shield load out I'm already at ~20, so I'm basically looking for the best poise/def for under 24 units.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah he doesn't ascend. Swamp chick never appeared for me this time either. Not sure why.

The wiki says that the white spider chick can ascend your pyro hand if you have the Old Witch's Ring. I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Volitaire posted:

What's a good armor setup for a strength build assuming that I want to stay under 50% equip at 40 end? I'm having trouble figuring one out since the weapons weigh so drat much. Between my weapon/shield load out I'm already at ~20, so I'm basically looking for the best poise/def for under 24 units.

Sage's coat/antiquated skirt/black iron gloves/whatever hat will fit in the remaining weight, and wear the wolf's ring.

Or, I mean, if it's not too late don't go for a strength build at all. But if you're going to insist that's approximately what I'm using with Smough's hammer. This is the most disappointed I have ever been by a giant hammer; this thing should not just bounce when people block it. It's worse than a claymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

This is probably true.

Almost all of the player's actions could be explained as 'he went hollow.' You are, after all, just randomly murdering things at the behest of creatures no one else ever interacts with.

The only time you do anything with purpose other than random violence is when you burn a Humanity to co-op or invade.
I prefer the interpretation that your character does not go hollow becuase his brains have been scooped out and replaced with a connection to a PS3 or Xbox controller.

It also helpfully explains why he does random poo poo just becuase somebody vaguely mentioned it. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It didn't play out this way in my last game, but in Lost Izaleth I met Siegmeier first, who accepted my help and then died saying his daughter's name, apparently never knowing that I killed her, and then Solaire, who I had to put a violent end to his bizarre crusade.

I'll take that kind of storytelling in games over canned stuff that is in most RPGs any day.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
So I picked up Demon's Souls to try out since Dark Souls is still quite expensive, and holy gently caress is there a lot of depth that they just don't explain anywhere.

Is there an official guide to these games, or a site that explains things like I'm a complete idiot? I've got the guide that comes with the Black Phantom edition but it's not very useful.

I logged 11 hours yesterday on my thief. I can't believe how in depth this is.

Is this the kindof game where if I get Dark Souls before I've finished Demon's Souls I won't want to play Demon's Souls anymore, because of improvements etc?

savagehenry
Jul 20, 2006

unvoiced linguolabial trill

Carl Seitan posted:

The wiki says that the white spider chick can ascend your pyro hand if you have the Old Witch's Ring. I don't know if that's accurate or not.

The White Spider can't ascend your flame, I'm standing in front of her right now and I'm in the covenant as well. Pretty sure the only use for the ring is some :smith: as gently caress dialog and a bit of backstory.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lethemonster posted:

Is this the kindof game where if I get Dark Souls before I've finished Demon's Souls I won't want to play Demon's Souls anymore, because of improvements etc?

No. In fact, most people who have played both to completion would probably argue that Demon's Souls is the better game overall.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

Is there an official guide to these games, or a site that explains things like I'm a complete idiot? I've got the guide that comes with the Black Phantom edition but it's not very useful.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ is a good place to go.

Also, I find both games to be pretty comparable. For one, they're both re-telling the same basic story. But they also each manage to excel and blunder in particular ways. Personally, I wouldn't say one was better than the other. They're both great experiences, so you won't really be shortchanging yourself by sticking to just Demon's Souls.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

I picked up the red soapstone from Ariamis. It seems like such a good idea for multiplayer, so why haven't I ever seen these red markings anywhere? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

On the 360 at level 51, I'm at the big bridge in Anor Londo, got about 4 attempts to PvP in the last few minutes but none of the sessions connected. I have a good internet connection, is it just bad luck or is there a way I can increase my odds? Or is this item broken?

EDIT: Yay. Just got summoned into a ring of fog wearing epic pyromancer who one shot me with a humdrum fireball. I think I figured out why I never see these red symbols...

yrF fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 9, 2011

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

NESguerilla posted:

Cause you don't need to at all and it's time to go to sens. Don't get me wrong I fought him after quelaag and was like "all right I'm coming back later"

So is 192 the max stamina? I don't feel like it's been increasing for a while. Probably time to stop with the endurance.

Edit: Yes Sens fortress rules. It's the most Demon's Souls'ish level in the game by far and the snake men look like something from He-Man.

160 is the stamina cap actually, that Ring of Favor and Protection you're wearing adds 20% to it (it is the best ring).

savagehenry
Jul 20, 2006

unvoiced linguolabial trill
It really is, I've never made a character that hasn't used it in the first ring slot. The one time I didn't waste Lautrec as early as possible (to keep the absolution cost to a minimum) was when I decided to build a character around his armor and dual shotels, one fire and one lightning. Even with the increased starting weight of 1.4/1.5 it'll still be one of the most important items in the game.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Hakkesshu posted:

No. In fact, most people who have played both to completion would probably argue that Demon's Souls is the better game overall.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. There's aspects of Dark Souls I love and I think are huge improvements over Demon's Souls.

The world design in Dark Souls is great. I like that some unique weapons have special attacks though I wish they were better in other areas (generally, great sword of moonlight is really good but other weapons don't seem worth the stat investment).

The story and voice acting in Dark Souls I prefer over Demon's Souls.

I like the poise mechanic, I like that rolling was nerfed, and I like that blocking was buffed. I think these things make combat and equipment selection way more interesting then it was in Demon's.

I like Bonfires and Estus flasks, I think that's a great improvement. I like limited spell casting. I like that Dark is generally less grindy then Demon's was for weapon upgrades. I like that there's multiple blacksmiths.

I like covenants, though I wish they were more polished.

But in the aspects that I think are most important for a great game, level and boss design, Demon's Souls is far superior. And in spite of all the things Dark Souls has going for it which I really think are improvements I'm surprised that they dropped the ball in the areas that, in my opinion, really make a game fun and memorable.

As to which has a better pvp experience, I'll withhold judgement until the patch hits the U.S. servers.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I think when it comes to bosses, Demon and Dark are pretty equal in terms of lovely and good. I don't get why Demon is held in so high regard when it comes to the bosses. 1-1, 4-1, 5-1 and 5-2 were all pretty uninteresting and easy bosses, and that's a big chunk of the bunch.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PerOlus posted:

I think when it comes to bosses, Demon and Dark are pretty equal in terms of lovely and good. I don't get why Demon is held in so high regard when it comes to the bosses. 1-1, 4-1, 5-1 and 5-2 were all pretty uninteresting and easy bosses, and that's a big chunk of the bunch.

Well, in the case of 1-1 you can excuse it as being the first boss, essentially more of a tutorial on "If you beat a boss you get your body back" than a real boss. I do agree overall though that I don't think Dark's bosses are substantially worse than Demon's - though I do feel that at least in a few instances, they aren't quite as fair (Four Kings is the worst example; even Flamelurker you can avoid damage by just being really defensive. Four Kings just plays out so randomly).

I think I would like to see them go in a more interesting direction with bosses in any potential sequel though. Part of it is that a lot of the bosses play out more or less the same way - there's a big dude there: Block/dodge his attacks, then counter when you have an opening. I think that the Metal Gear Solid series, especially 3, is a really good example of how to do bosses, where each one is FUNDAMENTALLY different, but still all draw on the main game mechanics so they don't come off as relying on gimmicks. That sort of boss design would be really great for the Souls series.

There are a lot of options that get cut off for bosses that could make the fights more interesting too - most bosses are immune to status effects. What if they weren't? Or what if status effects had some logical secondary effect unique to the boss? A random example of this would be some boss that summons minions and then eats them for health - you could kill the minions with strong attacks to deny the boss the heal, OR you could poison them and when the boss eats them, they actually take damage, or become poisoned themselves. There are a lot of different ways to build a viable character in the game, and I think boss fights should take advantage of that fact by allowing a variety of methods against each boss.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Lethemonster posted:

So I picked up Demon's Souls to try out since Dark Souls is still quite expensive, and holy gently caress is there a lot of depth that they just don't explain anywhere.

It's meant to be played like that, I know it might sound dumb or elitist but most of the game is intentionally unexplained or vague to keep the learning curve as organic as possible. The game is difficult, but it will never screw you over for not knowing some little factoid about the mechanics. The only thing that really stands out in Demons as being really stupid is that armor is completely useless.

Lethemonster posted:

Demons is a smaller game, the developers even ended up cutting an entire zone from the game because they did not want to deliver any content that was sub par, this is not what happened in Dark Souls. It is a much more ambitious, but suffers a distinct drop in quality the latter half of the game. And unlike Demons, Dark will screw you over from not knowing a little factoid about the mechanics, frequently.

Personally I thought Dark was better despite all its flaws, most complaints about Dark on this board are due to people just being stuck in their ways, the biggest one using nothing but a Lighting weapon and then getting super pissed at bosses or zones weak to Fire (O&S, Tomb of Giants, Gwyn)

Both are worth playing though.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Wow, if you leave the wizard guy alive for the Gaping Dragon fight he'll boost the dragon up during the fight and snipe you all the time. Didn't expect that.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

BitterAvatar posted:

So is Ceaseless Discharge really that difficult?

He's the one boss I actually killed on my first try and all I did was dodge his tentacles and stay kind of close to the cliff edge.

I mentioned it before, sometimes he just doesn't feel like actually using the tentacles. First time I fought him it was fine, second time however, he just kept spamming the flame attack and all I could do is tank the hit and attack him twice then heal before the second round of flame. That in NG+ is just too brutal, the flame does ~700 damage OR your entire stamina bar and ~1100 damage if you decide to try and block. 20 estus flasks was not enough, I had to eat some humanity to heal for the last 2 rounds of attacks. Probably even worse in NG++ so I'm not even gonna attempt him with my melee character.

Also I accidently killed Logan in Sen's (dont know how he aggroed but he was casting spells as soon as I got to the prison area) and he dropped the tin crystalisation catalyst, big hat and dragon breath. I had no idea that you didn't have to do his plot to get those.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Ceaseless discharge is unique in being both the easiest and hardest boss in the game. He's especially brutal as a mage because you can lock onto him from much further away than your spells will travel, you have to be right next to him for any of your spells to hit. Sometimes he'll just spam his fire attack instead of using his tentacles, for no apparent reason. When I fought him on my mage I had the misfortune to have him invent several new attacks that aren't in the guide just to gently caress me over, including a weird one where he leans over the cliff and taps it with all of his legs randomly that makes little explosions appear.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My problem with him is that I'll dodge his attack and be a dozen feet away from the impact of his tentacles, and the game will seemingly at random decide that it didn't count and kill me instantly. I swear sometimes I've avoided his attack by inches and lived and then dodged it by meters and died.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Volitaire posted:

I've been loving a Dark Mask, Smough's chest + gauntlets, antiquated skirt, eagle shield, and fire zweihander, but a sage's coat is a good lightweight swap if you can't wear that. For rings, I've enjoyed the ring of divine favour (for +20% encumb.) and the ninja ring (because if you're under 50% load, it treats you as unencumbered).

As for Swamp Chick, she apparently will not spawn if you already have an ascended +5 flame hand. I needed to get a second pyro flame up to +10 in NG+ before she appeared.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Sputnik posted:

As for Swamp Chick, she apparently will not spawn if you already have an ascended +5 flame hand. I needed to get a second pyro flame up to +10 in NG+ before she appeared.

Yeah, this is exactly what I had to do to get her to appear in NG+ as well.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I strongly suggest against the antiquated skirt for upcoming patch reasons. Don't sweat upgrading it or anything, it's going to become "normal clothwear" soon.

If you have it, the Gargoyle Helmet is high up on the poise/weight hierarchy despite weighing only 3 units. I don't think you're going to be able to hit the "ideal" of 60ish poise with only 24 to spare. What are you using, incidentally?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I just got platinum. Now I can start with the SL 1 run and other gimmicky bullshit that is bound to crash and burn when I finish Anor Londo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I did some mathing around, and came up with a general score of how good shields are compared to each other. It's calculated via Stability + Physical Resist + Magical Resist + Fire Resist + Lightning Resist - Weight. As such, these are just general-use scores, for if you want a shield you can use for generally any situation. Obviously if you carry multiple shields that are best for one thing or another, you'll come out on top, but I made this for myself and figured I'd share it.

1.03 patch:
code:
medium shields with parry:
Effigy: 	350 (not 100 phys)
East-West:	284 (not 100 phys)
Wooden:		299.5 (not 100 phys)
Large Leather: 	317.5 (not 100 phys)
Heater:		326
Tower Kite:	329
Caduceus Kite:	329
Hollow Soldier:	336.5
Knight:		303.5
Sanctus:	324 (+healing) (not 100 phys)
Balder:		305
Spider:		326
Grass Crest:	326 (+stamina recovery) (not 100 phys)
Blood:		322 (+resists)
Iron Round:	316
Sunlight:	336
Gargoyle:	345 (not 100 phys)
Crystal:	375 (can't repair)
Crest:		343
Dragon Crest:	313
Silver Knight:	331
Black Knight:	353

greatshields:
Black Iron:	354
Eagle:		353
Tower:		338
Giant:		403
Stone:		380
Havel's:	408
Artorias:	342
1.04 patch:
code:
medium shields with parry:
Effigy: 	353 (not 100 phys)
East-West:	277 (not 100 phys)
Wooden:		291.5 (not 100 phys)
Large Leather: 	309.5 (not 100 phys)
Heater:		316
Tower Kite:	319
Caduceus Kite:	319
Hollow Soldier:	316.5
Knight:		319.5
Sanctus:	315 (+healing) (not 100 phys)
Balder:		301
Spider:		287
Grass Crest:	317 (+stamina recovery) (not 100 phys)
Blood:		313 (+resists)
Iron Round:	311
Sunlight:	322
Gargoyle:	336 (not 100 phys)
Crystal:	375 (can't repair)
Crest:		343
Dragon Crest:	313
Silver Knight:	351
Black Knight:	353

greatshields:
Black Iron:	354
Eagle:		353
Tower:		338
Giant:		373
Stone:		380
Havel's:	408
Artorias:	342

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 9, 2011

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Shlapintogan posted:

So I just got platinum. Now I can start with the SL 1 run and other gimmicky bullshit that is bound to crash and burn when I finish Anor Londo.

Congrats! Internet High-Five! :hfive:

I just finished 1,000 pointing it and have also started my SL1 run, yay!

PvP Anecdote: So I was getting summoned into the Forest to fight and was using a fog ring, which is useful on a SL1 character. The host kills me in three hits. This isn't too surprising. I don't have any great magic yet and just an axe. Of course, there was some lag that mysteriously negated my shield, but I digress.

Naturally, butthurt despite winning, the host sends me an "encouraging" message about Fog Ring usage. I get summoned again, and lo and behold, it's the same guy! Deciding to "fight fair" this time, I run at him naked and Fog Ring-less. Another blue phantom arrived as I started to fight him and we kicked him off a ledge. Wouldn't you know, his internet connection failed as he was falling to his death? What serendipitous timing!

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

For people rocking the strength build I've been doing what gimped PvP is possible in 1.04 and I've found the most success without a shield and 2-handing/using an off hand weapon that's light. Without having a heavy rear end shield I can get my poise up to 76~ so that I can eat heavy hits, and also be able to use the flip ring and havels ring and keep under 50 so I'm mobile. For PvE there are choices but for PvP I can't see using anything except the black knight axe/and or large club, which is great for it's strong attack that lunges forward and hits in about a 180 degree half circle. When I don't have a shield I find people more likely to swing like crazy and they become good targets for the large club lunge.

Also mobility is the best when you have strength weapons because a backstab or a parry is probably a one hit ko!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I did some mathing around, and came up with a general score of how good shields are compared to each other. It's calculated via Stability + Physical Resist + Magical Resist + Fire Resist + Lightning Resist - Weight. As such, these are just general-use scores, for if you want a shield you can use for generally any situation. Obviously if you carry multiple shields that are best for one thing or another, you'll come out on top, but I made this for myself and figured I'd share it.

code:
snip
I totally forgot Sanctus wasn't 100% physical block. I was going to get that on my Sunbro, but now...ugh. 2hp/2sec isn't worth it. At all.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elysiume posted:

I totally forgot Sanctus wasn't 100% physical block. I was going to get that on my Sunbro, but now...ugh. 2hp/2sec isn't worth it. At all.

Oh, I don't remember if this has come up, but if you wear a shield and then 2-hand your weapon, you still get passive stuff like the stamina recovery from the grass crest even though it's on your back.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shlapintogan posted:

Make a SL1 run and make sure you get into the darkwraiths.

Also, I've had a lot of fun with a SL30 character (the extra 29 levels really help you diversify some gear) and invading mostly in Sen's Fortress. 12 kills in less than 2 hours.

It's recommended you set them both up as soon as possible, because until the patch hits, pyro rapes, and you can easily kill the four kings at any level.

In fact, if anyone is going to make a low level invader before the patch, you just need to do a few things. Get your pyro hand up to as a high level as possible (do the dragon head glitch, nobody will blame you for it), and buy 2 sets of Combustion, 1 Great Combustion and 1 Iron Flesh. Do as many levels as you need to get your hand up and all, but remember to kill the Four Kings as soon as you get the lordvessel (or even before you get it). A certain somebody will be in the Abyss waiting for you and will allow you to join the Darkwraith Covenant. Give him 10 humanity, and you'll get a red eye orb for unlimited invasions.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 9, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Drox posted:

Oh, I don't remember if this has come up, but if you wear a shield and then 2-hand your weapon, you still get passive stuff like the stamina recovery from the grass crest even though it's on your back.
Yeah, I've always been a big fan of two-handing with a Grass Crest on my back for Gaping Dragon, Two Kings, etc. Tiny hp regen just isn't enough to warrant using it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, I've always been a big fan of two-handing with a Grass Crest on my back for Gaping Dragon, Two Kings, etc. Tiny hp regen just isn't enough to warrant using it.

This is true in Demon's Souls also for anyone who played this first and is going back to it. The best is the Adjudicator's Shield in 4-1.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

My dragon ng+ run isn't going so great. I've had to start using a shield and I ended up just fireballing O+S to death, got really sick of dying to the mega thunder buttstomp when they start spamming it multiple times in a row.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Duke's Archives is kind of obnoxious. Where do I find the key to Big Hat's cage?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zain posted:

Duke's Archives is kind of obnoxious. Where do I find the key to Big Hat's cage?

Just press onward, the key is found when you open a shortcut from the Duke's Archives into the next area. If the rotating stairs confuse you, use the initial point where you entered the Archives as your base (the bonfire past the hallways with the boars, not the bonfire in the prison). You want to get to the second floor on the opposite end of the library from here. Keep an eye out for a ladder around there.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 9, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
My Duke's Archives strategy:
1. Kill everything
2. Run around in circles for 30 minutes trying to navigate

Here's how to get the Avelyn (item on the bookcase) easily:

Optiquest posted:

Avelyn crossbow:

1. Adjust staircase so the lower part is above bookshelves and stand on there(floor not staircase) for 5 seconds
2. Activate staircase and let it finish
3. Reload
4. You will be where you were at step 1 and can just hop down

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Drox posted:

This is why the Adjudicator Shield was one of the best shields in Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
Alright, (finally) picking this game up on Friday and wanted a little insight in choosing my starting class. I understand that it is actually pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but I want to know what is going to be easier for me. I am definitely choosing either Wanderer or Pyromancer, but cannot decide. I hear the that pyromancy makes things easy in the early game, but how soon is it before you unlock pyromancy on other classes? I like the fast, dodging kind of play style, and curved swords were my favorite in Demon Souls, so I want to grab a Scimitar ASAP, and my final character will probably be a lighter character that mixes pyromancy with agility. I really want that Furysword.

So in short, Pyromancer or Wanderer?

• Locked thread