Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

David Aames posted:

I'm having some weird Mail issues.

Every time I send or receive an email, I have like 50 different lines in my header showing everything from Return Paths, X Mimeole, Mime-Version, etc.. in between the To and Importance.

How do I get rid of this in Lion?
Show header detail - I bet yours is set to 'all'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

TACD posted:

Verbose mode also runs a filesystem check so there may have just been some minor directory damage preventing it from booting it was able to repair. :)

You know, I think I did see a message about fsck doing something. I didn't realize that might have fixed the problem though. Thanks for mentioning that.

David Aames
Jun 21, 2004

Everyone's Favorite Mulatto

TACD posted:

Show header detail - I bet yours is set to 'all'

That was it! A million thank you's!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Perian does support it, so that's most likely the culprit.
Wonder if that explains why the HTML5 beta performance has been blowing rear end for me lately. If I have the beta on, QTKit or some other process spikes the CPU and skips frames like crazy until videos finish loading, while ClickToPlugin and YouTube5 have been fine (have to leave the beta to get those working consistently).

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

japtor posted:

Wonder if that explains why the HTML5 beta performance has been blowing rear end for me lately. If I have the beta on, QTKit or some other process spikes the CPU and skips frames like crazy until videos finish loading, while ClickToPlugin and YouTube5 have been fine (have to leave the beta to get those working consistently).

Yeah I've had similar really weird issues. Also, it thinks most videos are 48 seconds sometimes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Granite Octopus posted:

Yeah I've had similar really weird issues. Also, it thinks most videos are 48 seconds sometimes.
Had that one too, like it locks up on loading the page for a sec then just decides the rest of the video doesn't need to be loaded or something. Getting out of the HTML5 beta and using one of the extension tricks works fine.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I've got an iMac, a Macbook and a printer on my home network. The Macbook and printer are connected to the router via WiFi, the iMac is wired. I've noticed that I can't access the Macbook with the iMac and vice versa when the iMac is only connected via UTP, and I can't print from the iMac either. However, if I enable the WiFi on the iMac, everything suddenly works as it should. Does anyone have an explanation for this, or ideally a remedy (aside from enabling WiFi on the iMac permanently)?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Do LAN and WLAN share the same DHCP and subnet range? What router do you have? What is UTP?

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

wolffenstein posted:

Do LAN and WLAN share the same DHCP and subnet range? What router do you have? What is UTP?

And consequently, are you sure it's on your AP and not some other person's? I've seen people work for hours and not realize which AP they are on.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy OS X thread- I'm helping a friend of mine with her iMac; she's wanting to wipe the drive because she is going to be selling it to a roommate and using her MacBook pro as her primary machine. The problem is that she doesn't have her install DVD anywhere, it went missing some time ago. We do, however, have the Lion installer that she kept when she upgraded. Can we put the iMac into target mode, hook that up to her MBP, then use the MBP's disk utility to wipe the drive and then instal Lion using the installer we downloaded from the App Store? I remember when it came out, Lion was an upgrade app only but wasn't sure if that's changed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Follow these steps to make the bootable media of your choice (DVD, USB, FW, etc.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Howdy OS X thread- I'm helping a friend of mine with her iMac; she's wanting to wipe the drive because she is going to be selling it to a roommate and using her MacBook pro as her primary machine. The problem is that she doesn't have her install DVD anywhere, it went missing some time ago. We do, however, have the Lion installer that she kept when she upgraded. Can we put the iMac into target mode, hook that up to her MBP, then use the MBP's disk utility to wipe the drive and then instal Lion using the installer we downloaded from the App Store? I remember when it came out, Lion was an upgrade app only but wasn't sure if that's changed.

It's easier and faster to make a Lion Installer on a USB stick.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thaaaaaank you!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Follow these steps to make the bootable media of your choice (DVD, USB, FW, etc.)
There's also an official tool now that is even easier than this.
http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

There's also an official tool now that is even easier than this.
http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433

Even more useful as I left my USB drive at home. She has a new external drive with 2 partitions. Once I use this tool should I be able to erase the partition that the lion recovery deal is on?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I know that this may not be the BEST place to ask this, but you guys rock, and who knows, there may be a Mac application to help out!

Looking for recommendations for link validation programs, i.e. I give the program a URL and it crawls and checks that each link is active and working. When tasked with one off websites, I usually used the link checker in IE, but I need to check dozens of sites in a very short about of time. GUI is fine, script is better, just need a direction for a quality program that you can vouch for. Free is preferable (cause honestly, if I had time and couldn't find something, I would code it myself), but I guess I could stomach a small fee.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

A UTP cable is just a standard network cable, but maybe we use that acronym wrongly over here. The router is in actuality a cable modem/router combination, brandname CBN with model number SVG6540E; as far as I can tell, it's custom made for my ISP, probably by a subcontractor for Motorola. I don't know how to check which DHCP both connections have, but they're both getting their IPv4 configuration automatically via DHCP and the IPs are on the same subnet (192.168.0.xxx).

Mithra6 posted:

And consequently, are you sure it's on your AP and not some other person's? I've seen people work for hours and not realize which AP they are on.

If you're asking whether or not I'm on my own wireless network: yes. Not only are all other wireless networks around here secured, my iMac is only configured to connect to my own network.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Jolan posted:

I don't know how to check which DHCP both connections have, but they're both getting their IPv4 configuration automatically via DHCP and the IPs are on the same subnet (192.168.0.xxx).
Subnets for home networks usually start with 255.255. Check System Preferences > Network to see subnet.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

Subnets for home networks usually start with 255.255. Check System Preferences > Network to see subnet.

I think you are thinking of subnet mask.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

vikingstrike posted:

I know that this may not be the BEST place to ask this, but you guys rock, and who knows, there may be a Mac application to help out!

Looking for recommendations for link validation programs, i.e. I give the program a URL and it crawls and checks that each link is active and working. When tasked with one off websites, I usually used the link checker in IE, but I need to check dozens of sites in a very short about of time. GUI is fine, script is better, just need a direction for a quality program that you can vouch for. Free is preferable (cause honestly, if I had time and couldn't find something, I would code it myself), but I guess I could stomach a small fee.

Install MacPorts, wget, and use the --spider option?

Alternately, two seconds of googling found this: http://peacockmedia.co.uk/integrity/

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Jolan posted:

A UTP cable is just a standard network cable, but maybe we use that acronym wrongly over here. The router is in actuality a cable modem/router combination, brandname CBN with model number SVG6540E; as far as I can tell, it's custom made for my ISP, probably by a subcontractor for Motorola. I don't know how to check which DHCP both connections have, but they're both getting their IPv4 configuration automatically via DHCP and the IPs are on the same subnet (192.168.0.xxx).

If you're asking whether or not I'm on my own wireless network: yes. Not only are all other wireless networks around here secured, my iMac is only configured to connect to my own network.

Try creating a new location in your network preferences. Something can be wonky there.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

japtor posted:

Had that one too, like it locks up on loading the page for a sec then just decides the rest of the video doesn't need to be loaded or something. Getting out of the HTML5 beta and using one of the extension tricks works fine.

Along these lines, has anybody noticed that ClickToPlugin and YouTube5 aren't playing nicely together? If I use just ClickToPlugin to do everything as HTML5 then it loads YouTube videos instantly and plays straight away. YouTube5 has a much, much better player though (links to original videos, quality selector, just nicer visually) but if I install it as well it seems that I get a good 5-6 second lag/beachball when a video starts to load.

I've only noticed this recently and have got YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook killer scripts deleted from the CTP preferences to stop them both trying to have a go, and it doesn't seem to be as big a problem if CTP is disabled and just YT5 is running.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Jolan posted:

A UTP cable is just a standard network cable, but maybe we use that acronym wrongly over here.

UTP could be cat 3,4,5,5e,6, or 7. Patch cable, cable category (cat5/5e/6) or even calling it by it's connector (rj-45) makes more sense (at least to me).

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

My MBP drops its wi-fi connection if I move 20 feet from the kitchen to the couch. Is this my lovely router or 10.7.2?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I used to have a certain model Billion router which refused to pass multicast DNS packets between interfaces. This ultimately meant that all the poo poo that relies on Bonjour (file sharing, printer sharing, iTunes sharing etc) would not work if one machine was on the wireless and the other on wired. Haven't come across any other routers with the same issue (even other Billion ones) but it could be possible... unless it only just started happening?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

Along these lines, has anybody noticed that ClickToPlugin and YouTube5 aren't playing nicely together? If I use just ClickToPlugin to do everything as HTML5 then it loads YouTube videos instantly and plays straight away. YouTube5 has a much, much better player though (links to original videos, quality selector, just nicer visually) but if I install it as well it seems that I get a good 5-6 second lag/beachball when a video starts to load.

I've only noticed this recently and have got YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook killer scripts deleted from the CTP preferences to stop them both trying to have a go, and it doesn't seem to be as big a problem if CTP is disabled and just YT5 is running.
I had that happening for a while too. Try right clicking on any page and look for "ClickToPlugin Preferences" and mess with the settings in there. The one that was causing autoloading (even though I had autoloading turned off) was some whitelist to autoload, and youtube.com was on there by default or something (I sure didn't add it myself). Otherwise I just exited the HTML5 beta on YouTube cause that seemed to be causing the big lag/beachball issue I had.

Harry Totterbottom posted:

UTP could be cat 3,4,5,5e,6, or 7. Patch cable, cable category (cat5/5e/6) or even calling it by it's connector (rj-45) makes more sense (at least to me).
Yeah UTP just describes the uh, cabling inside the...cable. I have heard it referred to that before when working with some contractors to wire up a place, but cable category seems most common for the usual ethernet we'd be talking about.

Granite Octopus posted:

I used to have a certain model Billion router which refused to pass multicast DNS packets between interfaces. This ultimately meant that all the poo poo that relies on Bonjour (file sharing, printer sharing, iTunes sharing etc) would not work if one machine was on the wireless and the other on wired. Haven't come across any other routers with the same issue (even other Billion ones) but it could be possible... unless it only just started happening?
I heard someone else complaining about something like that a few months ago, I think he had some SMC router that was loving that stuff up. I think he said it was old too, so I'm not sure if it happens on more recent hardware but it's a possibility.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

dabre_aiamim posted:

Install MacPorts, wget, and use the --spider option?

Alternately, two seconds of googling found this: http://peacockmedia.co.uk/integrity/

I found the link for integrity when searching, too. Given that this is for a production roll out I wanted to see if I could find something that people have actually used.

Forgot all about wget - ill probably just use that. Thanks!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Even more useful as I left my USB drive at home. She has a new external drive with 2 partitions. Once I use this tool should I be able to erase the partition that the lion recovery deal is on?
Sure, if you're not going to want to install Lion again. Re-partition the disk in Disk Utility to have one partition and it should wipe out the hidden recovery partition as well. If you type 'diskutil list' into Terminal it will show you all the partitions you currently have, including the hidden recovery one so you can verify it's gone.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
What does everyone think about full disk encryption software? It looks like the two options now are PGP Whole Disk Encryption (now owned by Symantec) and upgrading to Lion to use Filevault's full disk encryption (I'm still on Snow Leopard). Aside from PGP costing extra, are there any pros/cons to either of them? In the past it looks like there have been compatibility issues when Apple sent out an update that broke PGP's firmware integration, but recovery disks took care of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

King Nothing posted:

What does everyone think about full disk encryption software? It looks like the two options now are PGP Whole Disk Encryption (now owned by Symantec) and upgrading to Lion to use Filevault's full disk encryption (I'm still on Snow Leopard). Aside from PGP costing extra, are there any pros/cons to either of them? In the past it looks like there have been compatibility issues when Apple sent out an update that broke PGP's firmware integration, but recovery disks took care of it.

Filevault 2 is pretty seamless, and aside from requiring the recovery partition and having to login before most stuff boots up I haven't really noticed any difference with it on.

(also you can encrypt your Time Machine backups, although you have to reformat first)

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

computer parts posted:

Filevault 2 is pretty seamless, and aside from requiring the recovery partition and having to login before most stuff boots up I haven't really noticed any difference with it on.

(also you can encrypt your Time Machine backups, although you have to reformat first)

You have to reformat what, the time machine drive?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

computer parts posted:

This can be done without formatting if you're not afraid of Terminal.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I have been given a project at work to go through each entry of our dilapidated joke of a database and print each entry. The database entries are all accessable through a url ending in Detail.php?id=46, id 46-140. Each entry must be scaled down to fit on one sheet for print.

So far I’ve been painstakingly going through each entry one by one, page previewing, scaling down the print job, then printing. It’s a pain in the buttox.

I really want to use automator to do this for me. Is there a possibility of automator doing this for me? Additionally, I am at work using Windows but I’d VNC into my MBP to do it. So, instead of printing I guess I’d just need each page scaled down or saved into an image or PDF file so I can transfer them here to work and print.

edit: At this point, I'm desperate for any other solution than the one I'm currently doing.
edit2: This appears to be the type of thing ya just gotta do yourself. Oh well! :)

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 9, 2011

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Mithra6 posted:

Try creating a new location in your network preferences. Something can be wonky there.

Doesn't seem to change anything, everything seems to be the same as with the default. Or are there any settings I need to alter between the auto-location and the self-made one?

Granite Octopus posted:

As far as I can remember, the issue started the moment I changed the iMac from wireless to wired, so it might be a similar issue as the one that you've experienced. Did you find any way to remedy it?

I'll try to connect my old wireless router to the network later tonight; if it really is something the matter with the current wireless device, it might work when I change it up. I've been dreading to do it, however, because many people have reported difficulties getting the ISP-issued modem/router to play nice with their own routing devices. I'll see if I can fix it that way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

King Nothing posted:

You have to reformat what, the time machine drive?

yes, although apparently no, as given by the link above.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
I think this has come up before in the thread, but do people have a preferred alternative to Mac OS X Lion address book? I really hate the new address book because of the two pane layout (I use a lot of groups for my contacts). The hacks to make it look like the Snow Leopard address book aren't useful to me because it's the functionality and layout I hate.

It's strange to me that there are several alternative calendars and email clients but not address books.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

decypher posted:

I have been given a project at work to go through each entry of our dilapidated joke of a database and print each entry. The database entries are all accessable through a url ending in Detail.php?id=46, id 46-140. Each entry must be scaled down to fit on one sheet for print.

So far I’ve been painstakingly going through each entry one by one, page previewing, scaling down the print job, then printing. It’s a pain in the buttox.

I really want to use automator to do this for me. Is there a possibility of automator doing this for me? Additionally, I am at work using Windows but I’d VNC into my MBP to do it. So, instead of printing I guess I’d just need each page scaled down or saved into an image or PDF file so I can transfer them here to work and print.

edit: At this point, I'm desperate for any other solution than the one I'm currently doing.
edit2: This appears to be the type of thing ya just gotta do yourself. Oh well! :)
You might want to look into Fake.app.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

unruly posted:

You might want to look into Fake.app.

Man, that's really awesome. I am done with the task but I am going to try and set it up to see if it would have worked for me.

edit: Sure enough it worked really well. Was able to set it up to go to each link on the page, automatically save a screen shot, then used folder action to convert screen shot to a small size and then I print. Computers are awesome.

decypher fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 9, 2011

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

decypher posted:

Man, that's really awesome. I am done with the task but I am going to try and set it up to see if it would have worked for me.

edit: Sure enough it worked really well. Was able to set it up to go to each link on the page, automatically save a screen shot, then used folder action to convert screen shot to a small size and then I print. Computers are awesome.
Rule of thumb: Any time you find yourself doing a repetitive task over and over, you're Doing it Wrong. That's exactly what computers are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

TACD posted:

Rule of thumb: Any time you find yourself doing a repetitive task over and over, you're Doing it Wrong. That's exactly what computers are for.
Yeah, without Fake, there is also WebKit2PNG. Allowing you to script out most of this task on the command-line.