Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Nerdrock posted:

Stupid Question :
Has my workplace just driven me loving nuts, or do I have a shot in hell at accomplishing this crap, or am I making any sense at all? Anyone?
What's up fellow architectural IT goon :hfive:

Let me know when you get this figured out, managing e-mail for an architectural firm is a loving nightmare, and I'm sure that I'm doing it all wrong. Right now I'm supposed to be tracking down e-mails for a project from 2001 for a lawsuit. It's not going so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

carlcarlson posted:

What's up fellow architectural IT goon :hfive:

Let me know when you get this figured out, managing e-mail for an architectural firm is a loving nightmare, and I'm sure that I'm doing it all wrong. Right now I'm supposed to be tracking down e-mails for a project from 2001 for a lawsuit. It's not going so well.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss though. If anyone ever asks me the "email as legal evidence" question, i just tell them that they're as easy to fabricate electronically as they are printed out. Would you like me to send you an email from our president dated 5 years ago firing you? If i'm feeling extra saucy, I'll just remind them that legal email archival compliance is an extra feature that the CFO didn't want to pay for.

I'm a terrible employee.

Edit : Bonus : The CFO also doesn't want to pay for email anyways. With our current Hosted Exchange solution, we have maybe 15 Exchange inboxes at 9 bucks a month a piece (for Sales / Blackberry havers) and everyone else is on POP3 1GB inboxes for 3 bucks a month.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 28, 2011

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It sounds like what you are referring to is a type of document management solution. In the legal field they call it "case management" because it does some extra things like you are saying, instead of just documents in a directory. It sounds like the type of thing that Sharepoint was made for, but there are probably a lot of solutions out there for architectural stuff.

As an example, I have seen software in the legal industry where you put in the "case" number, and it pulls up all the calendaring for it, documents created, documents produced, emails (the user has a button in Outlook that will import it into the case management software. It also has any metadata relevant to the case.

Sorry if that was somewhat incoherent, it's been a long week. Hopefully it is somewhat helpful.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

It sounds like what you are referring to is a type of document management solution. In the legal field they call it "case management" because it does some extra things like you are saying, instead of just documents in a directory. It sounds like the type of thing that Sharepoint was made for, but there are probably a lot of solutions out there for architectural stuff.

As an example, I have seen software in the legal industry where you put in the "case" number, and it pulls up all the calendaring for it, documents created, documents produced, emails (the user has a button in Outlook that will import it into the case management software. It also has any metadata relevant to the case.

Sorry if that was somewhat incoherent, it's been a long week. Hopefully it is somewhat helpful.
Yeah, there is a company called Newforma that Oce owns now, and they have a document management solution that is specifically for the AEC market. It pretty much works exactly the way that Nerdrock wants it to. We did a demo on it a couple of years ago (before the economy collapsed) and it forced every user to file e-mails based on a drop-down job number list that it pulled from our ERP software, and stored them in each job number's folder on its share on the file server.

Was pretty awesome, and also integrated in with the other document types on the file server (.doc, .pdf, etc). Nerdrock's problem, and mine too, is that we work for cheapskates, and Newforma, along with anything that has to do with Oce, is not cheap.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Then I would say Sharepoint or a flat file directory is the way to go. The Public folder concept sounds crazy to me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I didn't know OCE had a DMS. We use them for "office services" here. We did some heavy investigating into Worldox, but never pulled the trigger (too many current projects to stack on another one).

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I greatly appreciate the replies, gents. Yeah, we already stuff everything into a flat directory on our network storage, and were basically trying to find a way to justify getting Exchange in-house to automate tracking email messages in a cleaner method than we currently have.

Granted : just dumping email messages as files in a directory works : but having to open them separately to view the file's contents is a bitch, and i can appreciate the users' plight.

cheers.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Anybody know of any potential complications of running Exchange 2010 w/ OWA and Remote Desktop Web Access on the same server? It currently hosts our TS Gateway and functions without a hitch, but I want to get that RD Web interface up and running because making customized RDP files for every staff member is somewhat cumbersome.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

babies havin rabies posted:

Anybody know of any potential complications of running Exchange 2010 w/ OWA and Remote Desktop Web Access on the same server? It currently hosts our TS Gateway and functions without a hitch, but I want to get that RD Web interface up and running because making customized RDP files for every staff member is somewhat cumbersome.

You should be fine.

I tend to avoid mixing roles on my exchange servers these days, but I do have a couple of clients that run the pre-R2 TS Gateway role on Exchange 2007 boxes without issue.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I need to add a user to a distribution group for a one-time 48 hour window. Is there a way for me to automate that? Google's no help.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Urgh, exchange's virtual directories in IIS for web access ate poo poo on me yesterday, so I followed the guide from microsoft to delete them/have exchange re-create them

...and only two of the directories came back, so I have no bleeding idea what to do now.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Furnok Dorn posted:

Urgh, exchange's virtual directories in IIS for web access ate poo poo on me yesterday, so I followed the guide from microsoft to delete them/have exchange re-create them

...and only two of the directories came back, so I have no bleeding idea what to do now.

In exchange 2003 or 2007/2010?

e: If it's 2003 then I've used this method (method 1) more times than I can count.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 9, 2011

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

babies havin rabies posted:

I need to add a user to a distribution group for a one-time 48 hour window. Is there a way for me to automate that? Google's no help.

Set a scheduled task to run a Remove-DistributionGroupMember ps1 script :(

Be sure to set the powershell execution policy to something appropriate prior to doing this, and to add the -confirm switch since you won't be at the console to answer "yes".

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

In exchange 2003 or 2007/2010?

e: If it's 2003 then I've used this method more times than I can count.

I tried all those methods, they didn't work.

But, I saw some guy who was fed up with trying and retrying them so he reinstalled 2003's SP2 and it fixed everything, and that DID work for me.

In short; gently caress.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

Set a scheduled task to run a Remove-DistributionGroupMember ps1 script :(

Be sure to set the powershell execution policy to something appropriate prior to doing this, and to add the -confirm switch since you won't be at the console to answer "yes".

I love how for remove-distributiongroupmember the -confirm switch means "don't prompt for confirmation," but for set-mailbox it means "always prompt for confirmation."

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Furnok Dorn posted:

I tried all those methods, they didn't work.

But, I saw some guy who was fed up with trying and retrying them so he reinstalled 2003's SP2 and it fixed everything, and that DID work for me.

In short; gently caress.

Ha.

Was it SBS by chance? For some reason I've found that I need to re-install exchange 2003 SP2 on SBS servers for various other reasons, to get things like the ESM opening again, and even once to get the public mailstore to re-mount after a patch and reboot.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

Ha.

Was it SBS by chance? For some reason I've found that I need to re-install exchange 2003 SP2 on SBS servers for various other reasons, to get things like the ESM opening again, and even once to get the public mailstore to re-mount after a patch and reboot.

Yeah, SBS 2003, which daily makes me wonder if having my balls caught in a meat grinder would be less painful than administering this pile of assorted mammal poo poo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just a quick question. I need to migrate my Exchange 2003 database store and log files to a new hard drive (running out of disk space). The new hard drive is installed on the same box as the old one and works fine is there anything else i need to do other than the following?

1. Create a subfolder on the new drive and make sure the NTFS permissions match the one on the old drive.
2. Change the location of the logs/database in the administrative group through Exchange System Manager
3. Manually mount the database store through Exchange system manager if it doesn't do it automatically
4. Check to make sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem points at the new location.

Side question- will the actual large database file move automatically when I change its location or do I need to manually copy it over to the new hard drive?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

vyst posted:

Just a quick question. I need to migrate my Exchange 2003 database store and log files to a new hard drive (running out of disk space). The new hard drive is installed on the same box as the old one and works fine is there anything else i need to do other than the following?

1. Create a subfolder on the new drive and make sure the NTFS permissions match the one on the old drive.
2. Change the location of the logs/database in the administrative group through Exchange System Manager
3. Manually mount the database store through Exchange system manager if it doesn't do it automatically
4. Check to make sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem points at the new location.

Side question- will the actual large database file move automatically when I change its location or do I need to manually copy it over to the new hard drive?

In 2003 it isn't even this complicated.

Go to the Mailbox Store Properties, and in the database tab browse to the target location for the database and streaming database. When you hit apply it will disconnect / move / reconnect for you. I've never had to change registry settings afterwards.

Do the same general thing in the storage group properties to adjust the transaction log locations.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Our generally reliabile Exchange 2010 server seems to have grown a "once every few weeks I lock up the MailStore hard and refuse to process poo poo" problem. Working on running down the cause, but nothing obvious pops out of the server logs. Any advices on where to look?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

wwb posted:

Our generally reliabile Exchange 2010 server seems to have grown a "once every few weeks I lock up the MailStore hard and refuse to process poo poo" problem. Working on running down the cause, but nothing obvious pops out of the server logs. Any advices on where to look?

Are you running GFI mailessentials?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
It is times like this I am glad my GFI is running on a SMTP relay and not an exchange box.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Nope, no extensions that I'm aware of. Our network admin ran some stuff down and it looks like it is a known issue for people who are a few updates behind -- something about corrupted view of the public folder stopping the store service.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
More an Outlook question than Exchange, but probably still the right thread.

Exchange 2007, Outlook 2010.

Anyone seen this strange error when receiving mail sent from mail.app in OS X 10.7?

I have this folder sorted by flag status. If I flag the "Test message 1" for follow-up today and then clear the flag, it'll fall in with the other messages in the folder.

I'm not sure what's going on. It's only a problem in Outlook - OWA correctly shows all messages as unflagged and in the same group when sorted by flag due date.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
If a user has multiple aliases is there any way of telling WHICH alias mail was sent to when it arrives in their inbox? We're running Exch/Outlook 2010 here and our mail server dude has decided that when a staff member leaves that their mailbox is to be immediately archived to THE VAULT and if their manager wants to keep their mailbox live - well, well tough poo poo.

The policy is to add the ex-employee's alias to another user so they can continue to receive mail at that address.

For example, I've got one user "Ann Perkins", her address is annp@mycompany.com.au - but she also has mail aliases for lesliek@mycompany.com.au aprill@mycompany.com.au - users who have left recently.

When mail arrives in Outlook, she has no way of knowing which address it was actually sent to, is there any way around this?

edit: figured it out. Set up a rule with "if message header contains XXXXXX" move to "blah folder".

psylent fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 22, 2011

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is there a way to block a user from sending email locally but allow them to send externally?

I'm setting up our new Xerox printers at the office today. We have a xerox@domain.com address that it's set up as. I know my users will start emailing documents like its candy to each other. Boss won't spring for any kind of archiving solution so it's a whole lot of fun.

However this feature is helpful as gently caress for sending documents externally.

Xerox tech told me this has to be done on the server, not the machine. Any ideas or am I just going to have to live with this?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Any good books out there to take you through the rundown of exchange that isn't a cure for insomnia?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

LmaoTheKid posted:

Is there a way to block a user from sending email locally but allow them to send externally?

I'm setting up our new Xerox printers at the office today. We have a xerox@domain.com address that it's set up as. I know my users will start emailing documents like its candy to each other. Boss won't spring for any kind of archiving solution so it's a whole lot of fun.

However this feature is helpful as gently caress for sending documents externally.

Xerox tech told me this has to be done on the server, not the machine. Any ideas or am I just going to have to live with this?

You could do this with transport rules with exchange 2007 or 2010. No idea how to do it with 2003.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

I can't think of any easy way to do this on Exchange 2003. If it was "accept messages" instead of "send messages" that would be easy, just add delivery restrictions in the Exchange General tab for the user account.

Personally, I would never do what you're attempting to do. Actually, I have gone our of my way to make it as hard as possible for people to send things outside the office from our copiers. What happens when the person on the other end does not get it (attachment too large, etc)? Then the users come bitching to you. At least if you make them send it to themselves first and then forward it, the user gets an NDR.

If you're a smaller shop I would setup the Xerox's to scan directly to a folder in the user's home drive or something similar. Cuts down on the amount stored on the email server, and sidesteps the problem I mentioned above.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Internet Explorer posted:

I can't think of any easy way to do this on Exchange 2003. If it was "accept messages" instead of "send messages" that would be easy, just add delivery restrictions in the Exchange General tab for the user account.

Personally, I would never do what you're attempting to do. Actually, I have gone our of my way to make it as hard as possible for people to send things outside the office from our copiers. What happens when the person on the other end does not get it (attachment too large, etc)? Then the users come bitching to you. At least if you make them send it to themselves first and then forward it, the user gets an NDR.

If you're a smaller shop I would setup the Xerox's to scan directly to a folder in the user's home drive or something similar. Cuts down on the amount stored on the email server, and sidesteps the problem I mentioned above.

Yeah, you're right. The thing is, my users are pigs when it comes to email and the bossman is forbidding quotas (which is loving retarded as I can make sure he doesn't have one). They all have U drive scan folders on the machine, i'm just going to disable scan to email all together.

BTW, I'm on Exchange 2010 and the previous suggestion of Transport Rules worked.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
So I got a request to allow out of office messages to be sent to people outside of our domain. What are peoples thoughts on this? I know at one time there was all those urban legend warnings going around about people being robbed due to OOO message and I guess concerns about spam finding a real address but what does everyone else do?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Noghri_ViR posted:

So I got a request to allow out of office messages to be sent to people outside of our domain. What are peoples thoughts on this? I know at one time there was all those urban legend warnings going around about people being robbed due to OOO message and I guess concerns about spam finding a real address but what does everyone else do?

I've never restricted this.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Noghri_ViR posted:

I've never heard a legitimate objection to this.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

I've never restricted this.
Neither have I. Vendors and clients are just as important as co-workers and should be notified if an important message won't be dealt with just the same. This way they can make alternate arrangements with someone else at the organization should the information be urgent, rather than have it sit untouched with no one knowing that it's not being addressed.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Probably a stupid question, but can we upgrade exchange 2003 to exchange 2008 but stay with server 2003?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Billy the Mountain posted:

Probably a stupid question, but can we upgrade exchange 2003 to exchange 2008 but stay with server 2003?

Let's start with whether you meant Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010.

Exchange 2010 is only supported on Server 2008 x64, afaik.

Exchange 2007 isn't supported on Server 2008 at all unless you're on SP1.

edit: links
2007: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232170(EXCHG.80).aspx
2010: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 29, 2011

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Is this our general Exchange question thread, because my google-fu has failed me on the current problem.

edit: Rebooted the offsite DC, no more problems. :doh: It never fails, as soon as I post here I find the solution. Maybe I should start posting my problems before I start googling.

Drighton fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 30, 2011

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Drighton posted:

Is this our general Exchange question thread, because my google-fu has failed me on the current problem.

edit: Rebooted the offsite DC, no more problems. :doh: It never fails, as soon as I post here I find the solution. Maybe I should start posting my problems before I start googling.

I'm pretty sure this is considered the exchange everything thread. What was your issue that you had to reboot a DC for?

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Of the four exchange servers, two (in the same site) were running ridiculously slow. 5-10 minutes to load or perform any task, even refreshing. None of the google results except one were even related, and that one result was due to the guy creating 2GB Exchange servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I've yet to really dive deep into this issue yet, but I thought I'd give a breakdown here and see if maybe something obvious stands out. In our company we have an Exchange 2007 server (after migrating from 2003) and recently there was an upgrade done to our DC/AD server from Server 2003 to 2008. Ever since that upgrade it would seem as though random users at random workstations will briefly lose connection to the Exchange server from their Outlook 2003 clients. Eventually the connection will restore itself without having to manually un-check "Work Offline" in Outlook. Like I said, this is happening to completely random people, but only those who are using Windows XP with Outlook 2003. This doesn't affect our users who are on Windows 7 with Outlook 2010. I've yet to check event logs on the workstations or the Exchange server at this point, but I have a feeling there's some kind of problem between Exchange and the AD/DC server. I've actually seen a similar problem on my own machine where the following morning I would unlock my machine (because I hadn't rebooted it), and Outlook 2010 on Windows XP would be offline and I'd have a box prompting me for my domain account credentials.