Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Writer Cath posted:

I think it's Zack.

Possibly Johnny Curtis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

smashpro1 posted:

Possibly Johnny Curtis.

Who?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
X-Pac with an interesting couple of tweets.

X-Pac posted:

I would love to one day return home to WWE. I still need more time doing well. Not long ago I attempted suicide. I understand Vinces fear

You can thank WWE's Wellness Policy for me being here tweeting with you. They spent almost as much on me as they have on Scott.

I hope one day they decider to get a return back on that investment in saving my life.

As sad as the fact that X-Pac had the same common problems as a lot of guys have in this industry is, it's great to see the rehab system having some success.

I had no idea he attempted suicide.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Grantonio posted:

I had no idea he attempted suicide.

Yeah, in Mexico. Ryan Shamrock ended up saving his life, pretty much.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any specific reason?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

oldpainless posted:

Any specific reason?
Because he was X-Pac.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Had too much Juvi Juice. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bocc Kob posted:

Had too much Juvi Juice. :(

So he took some PCP and started running around a hotel naked and hit a cop?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Speaking of Waltman: http://mywrestlingparty.com/2011-rumble-vip-party-featuring-x-pac/15

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Just a word of warning: get piss drunk in St. Louis at your own peril. If that whole thing didn't look shady as gently caress, I would get up on it though.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Because he was X-Pac.
I believe in the KC shoot I watched he said he was just in a really bad place and he got into a fight with his then girlfriend while they were living in Mexico and he hit her (although from memory he said she provoked him and he was defending himself) and apparently he felt so awful about this it was just he straw that broke the camels back.

That's all from memory though.

Grantonio posted:

X-Pac with an interesting couple of tweets.

As sad as the fact that X-Pac had the same common problems as a lot of guys have in this industry is, it's great to see the rehab system having some success.
I think his story is really inspirational. He's eluded to having some mental health issues in a few shoots I've seen with him and his substance abuse ended up being a coping mechanism as I understand it. It sounds like a rough ticket where both of those problems end up feeding each other and worsening each other and he says he just ended up hitting absolute rock bottom which was around when his suicide attempt was.

Like I said, it sounds like a rough ticket and he deserves all the credit in the world for overcoming it, he really is an industry poster boy for the way someone can turn their lives around and end up a better person for their difficult experiences.

I hope WWE takes him one day, with the problem they've been having with a lot of talent hitting the glass ceiling and not being able to rise any further I think he'd be a fantastic resource for a lot of the talent to help get them to the point where they can work a main event level PPV match. It seems like that's a big issue in WWE because it's hard to learn without being given the experience needed to feel it out and it's near impossible getting the opportunities if you can't all ready do it, or at least that's how it seems to me from the outside.

I could see guys like J-Mo, the Miz, Ziggler and Swagger really benefiting from his experience. It seems like the next batch of fresh main eventers are about ready to start moving up but they don't have anyone to guide them through the transition, especially since the previous generation all seemed to drop like flies within months of each other before being able to groom someone to fill their shoes.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 8, 2011

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
The Wade Keller interview with X-Pac talks about this too, he says that he's been messed up for a long time and he needs to prove himself before WWE would open the door for another shot (and he understands that, and doesn't blame them at all). He did say that he's cleaned up and doing fairly well right now, and even "cut back on the weed", but he still has a ways to go.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Frilled Lizard posted:

The Wade Keller interview with X-Pac talks about this too, he says that he's been messed up for a long time and he needs to prove himself before WWE would open the door for another shot (and he understands that, and doesn't blame them at all). He did say that he's cleaned up and doing fairly well right now, and even "cut back on the weed", but he still has a ways to go.
King of Trios 2011 was very inspirational. I remember people pretty clearly saying "What the gently caress is Quack thinking! This will be a disaster!". People expected him to no-show, or show up drunk, or just come in and put on a really lazy showing and ruin the event.

But god drat, were people wrong. Not only did he not do any of those things, he put on a match of the year candidate and a very strong showing against Team Michonoku Pro, whom he had a lot of history with.

You could tell how humbled he was during the show, tearing up twice during the weekend. Quackenbush, who is usually the first to dismiss horrible backstage personalities did nothing but praise how friendly he was all weekend, from telling stories to giving advice to all of the younger guys.

This was the "Happy ending" to a story that was very well on it's way to becoming "The Wrestler". It had to be a very sobering moment for him, hearing people chant for the "1-2-3 Kid" in 2011, and have so many people remember his match that jump-started his career with Jinsei Shinzaki

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 8, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also his blog that he wrote after Randy Savage was awesome and horrible at the same time. Awesome how he remembered the crazy times he, Mr. Perfect, and Randy Savage had when the traveled together. Horrible due to when he saw Kevin Nash called he thought Scott Hall died, and that is what he expects every time Nash calls.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

Also his blog that he wrote after Randy Savage was awesome and horrible at the same time. Awesome how he remembered the crazy times he, Mr. Perfect, and Randy Savage had when the traveled together. Horrible due to when he saw Kevin Nash called he thought Scott Hall died, and that is what he expects every time Nash calls.

I don't know whether that means Nash could call more or just text.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lone Rogue posted:

I don't know whether that means Nash could call more or just text.

I would presume that it means when Nash actually calls, instead of them just trading texts or emails, it means something serious just happened.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Minor point, but didn't Triple H call, not Nash?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

This is apparently pretty old, but someone brought it up to my attention. Wade Barrett has a scar under his right arm. Ever wonder how he got that scar?

quote:

omething that has been cropping up lately on my Twitter account (@wadebarrett) is the 12-inch scar that stretches from my upper back to halfway down the triceps of my right arm. It has faded significantly over the last couple of years, so you may not have noticed it, but several people have been asking how I got it and I thought I would explain it on here. Before I continue, I must warn you that this is a rather unpleasant story and if you are easily shocked, stop reading now and go and read one of the other rookie’s blogs where they will no doubt be discussing such riveting subjects as what food they are eating at present and how much they paid for their last haircut. Yawn. Anyway, as you already know, before I made it to NXT I spent several years bare-knuckle fighting across Europe. I had a lot of success and eventually got to fight for some pretty big money. I had one particular fight lined up with a highly notorious opponent in the town of Budapest, Hungary. Hungary is an ex-communist state in Eastern Europe. There is concrete everywhere you look, the sun never shines and the people are as tough as old boots. Basically, it is not the kind of place any of the other NXT rookies would ever dare set foot, but that didn’t phase me in the slightest.

The build up to the fight was so big amongst members of the underworld that some termed the it ‘The Battle of Buda‘ which in my eyes made it the equivalent of Ali and Foreman’s ‘Rumble in the Jungle‘, only far more dangerous. My opponent had a reputation for fighting dirty, much like myself, and there was a rather intimidating atmosphere building around the town in the hours leading up to the fight. The local police tend to turn a blind-eye to this sort of thing in Eastern-Europe which is why so many fights are staged over there. In fact, most of the local police force turned up to bet money on who was going to win. Speaking of money, there was also a rather substantial cash prize on the line for the winner of the fight, a prize which I was going to make sure I’d be taking home no matter what.

Come fight time, we started brawling and to my surprise, it was actually turned out to be one of my easier fights. It lasted about 3 minutes before my opponent’s face was so smashed up that he couldn’t see out of either eye and he had no choice but to say ‘I quit’ in his broken English. I had my hand raised, collected the winner’s money and decided to get out of the area straight away and on the next plane back to the green hills of England. The place was crawling with a whole host of unsavory characters and every single one of them wanted to get their hands on the £20K winners prize that was now sitting in my bag. Having all those eyes burning a hole through you as you stand alone in some Eastern-European hell hole is a very sobering experience, let me tell you.

Unfortunately, I hadn‘t planned my getaway well enough. As I walked through an alleyway in search of a taxi to the airport, I heard footsteps behind me and a split-second later, I was jumped from behind and stabbed in the back with an eight-inch blade. I remember feeling the initial pain of the wound, but it was very quickly masked by numbness as the pain endorphins kicked in. At this point, I was supposed to stay down on the ground in agony whilst my assailant made off with my winner’s money, but things didn’t quite work out like that. I lost a lot of blood that day, but I wasn’t about to lose a penny of my hard-earned cash. I can’t say too much about what happened next due to legal reasons, but what I will say is that if I’ve ended up with 12 inch scars on my body, just imagine how the other guy ended up looking. If you can’t imagine it, just go and look at some minced beef next time you are in the supermarket and that should do the trick. Life for me has always been full of scars and scrapes, but I make sure that I leave any situation with the money in my pocket.

I wish that they would have let Barrett keep part of the Bareknuckle fighter in his gimmick. Same with Tarver's "1.8" gimmick. In both cases, Big Show vetoed those parts of their gimmick so as not to infringe on his "Knockout Punch"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Minor point, but didn't Triple H call, not Nash?

Ya that is right. He took it off his site so I was basing it off memory.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

This is apparently pretty old, but someone brought it up to my attention. Wade Barrett has a scar under his right arm. Ever wonder how he got that scar?

I wish that they would have let Barrett keep part of the Bareknuckle fighter in his gimmick. Same with Tarver's "1.8" gimmick. In both cases, Big Show vetoed those parts of their gimmick so as not to infringe on his "Knockout Punch"

They mention that he is a former bare knuckle boxer during almost all of his matches and he always does the sequence of punches one after another while they talk about it. I have a hard time believing Big Show vetoed something they talk about that regularly. I think I remember them bringing it up even during his most recent match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

I have never seen it reported that Big Show vetoed anything. It has been WWE policy in general not to have infringing gimmicks, names, etc. It was a higher up call in Tarver's case and Wade's initial "gimmick" didn't fit with what they wanted for Wade. The term bare-knuckle fighter was fairly silly to hear in the context of pro wrestling anyway. Every wrestler is a bare knuckle fighter.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

They mention that he is a former bare knuckle boxer during almost all of his matches and he always does the sequence of punches one after another while they talk about it. I have a hard time believing Big Show vetoed something they talk about that regularly. I think I remember them bringing it up even during his most recent match.
Tarver used the 1.8 gimmick for a couple weeks until someone realized that he was using a Knockout Punch and then made him quit. After that he floundered until the Nexus started. That much was in the dirt sheets, and in Tarver's drunken twitter rants or something another.

I don't think they'll let Barrett just do a straight punch as a finisher or signature for the same reason they made Eve quit using the Armbar. Another, bigger star is using it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
"I can knock you out in 1.8 seconds" is a gimmick that can't translate well to pro-wrestling. Why would this guy start a match with a lockup?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Minidust posted:

"I can knock you out in 1.8 seconds" is a gimmick that can't translate well to pro-wrestling. Why would this guy start a match with a lockup?

You could work it in that once he's gone into a punching routine, his opponent has 1.8 seconds to get the hell outta dodge or he's gonna get knocked out. Basically, when the fans see him get in stance and start air punching while his opponent is dazed, they know what's gonna happen.

Otherwise, yeah it's pretty difficult. Then again, that's a problem with most guys with punching or kicking finishers.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Tarver used the 1.8 gimmick for a couple weeks until someone realized that he was using a Knockout Punch and then made him quit. After that he floundered until the Nexus started. That much was in the dirt sheets, and in Tarver's drunken twitter rants or something another.

I don't think they'll let Barrett just do a straight punch as a finisher or signature for the same reason they made Eve quit using the Armbar. Another, bigger star is using it.

He already has a finisher and he's finding new ways to toss people onto his shoulders - so I don't see him needing some knock out punch finisher anyway. My point was that they're not at all burying the whole bareknuckle boxer thing and they bring it up regularly. You said you had wished they didn't do away with that part of his gimmick and I was just saying that they haven't.

His finisher was never a knockout punch as far as I can recall.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Flameingblack posted:

they made Eve quit using the Armbar. Another, bigger star is using it.
Can't she just switch to one of the other armbars on the list?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Saraya legitimately scares me sometimes.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

For some reason I seem to recall that the bare knuckle fighter was a kayfabe thing. Or am I just making this up?

I'd normally assume I was confusing him with someone else but I have a recollection of it surprising me because Barrett looks like one.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 9, 2011

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
What's the history on Tarver's 1.8 gimmick? I don't remember that at all. Was it literally "Who can knock you out in 1.8 seconds? Me"?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sue Denim posted:

For some reason I seem to recall that the bare knuckle fighter was a kayfabe thing. Or am I just making this up?

I'd normally assume I was confusing him with someone else but I have a recollection of it surprising me because Barrett looks like one.

Barrett was actually a bare knuckle fighter. It's barely ever played into his gimmick of him boxing people and he always plays more of an iconoclast. It's the funny thing about kayfabe and reality. In kayfabe, he's too good to get in mere punching fights with people but in reality, he used to make his riches beating the poo poo out of people in Northern Europe.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm with MRP on this one - promoting 'bare knuckle' fighting, legit or not, in WWE is tremendously silly and degrades their own product.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

incredible bear posted:

What's the history on Tarver's 1.8 gimmick? I don't remember that at all. Was it literally "Who can knock you out in 1.8 seconds? Me"?

The deal was in one of his NXT hype videos they talked about his career as a semipro boxer, when he won a match by knockout 1.8 seconds after the opening bell. He then took that (possibly untrue) fact and ran with it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Saraya legitimately scares me sometimes.

Meltzer gave that tweet two stars.

Beasley
Sep 20, 2008

You better get ready to die.
Had the great pleasure of meeting and following @RealCardinalKid on twitter. He is a grizzled vet of this business and has a lot to share about his experiences.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MassRayPer posted:

Every wrestler is a bare knuckle fighter.
Hitting someone with a closed fist is an illegal strike.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Lone Goat posted:

Hitting someone with a closed fist is an illegal strike.

Quick, someone alert The Big Show, before he gets himself disqualified in his title match with Mark Henry!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

nerds drop your drawers:
http://t.co/ZsjSHULZ

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Lone Rogue posted:

Barrett was actually a bare knuckle fighter. It's barely ever played into his gimmick of him boxing people and he always plays more of an iconoclast. It's the funny thing about kayfabe and reality. In kayfabe, he's too good to get in mere punching fights with people but in reality, he used to make his riches beating the poo poo out of people in Northern Europe.

Wait, really really? I always assumed that it was all bullshit

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Wait, really really? I always assumed that it was all bullshit

Nope.

From IGN:

quote:

IGN TV: Can you tell us a bit about your past as a bare-knuckle boxer? At what point in your life did you do that?

Wade Barrett: Yeah, that's something I started doing in my early 20's. I used to live in Liverpool and I knew some people who were involved in that world. They made me an offer to do some fighting for them. It was something that wasn't strictly legal. It was something that was under the cover of darkness, as it were. But it was something that I enjoyed at the time and I made some decent money out of it and it was something that I was quite successful at. So I enjoyed doing it.

Fun Wade tid-bit from the same interview:

quote:

IGN: How did you decided on your finishing move? That Fireman's Carry Throwdown?

Barrett: That was something that was actually taught to me by a wrestler on the independent scene named Colt Cabana. He showed me that a few years ago and it was a move that I'd never seen used before. Apparently it gets used a bit in Mexican wrestling circles, but it wasn't one that I was familiar with. I liked it because it was different and it was a move that I could use on the vast majority of people in a lot of different circumstances and in a lot of different areas in the ring. I could pull the move off from almost anywhere. So it was a versatile move that I thought looked good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

coconono posted:

nerds drop your drawers:
http://t.co/ZsjSHULZ

Why is their backstage stuff SO GOOD?