Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I live in the south and it's deer season. My brother and cousin kill enough does to have lots of meat and I have realized I am a dehydrator and recipe away from oodles of delicious deer jerky.

Any goons got a recipe they use and any dehydrator recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm planning on completely deboning and stuffing the turkey for thanksgiving this year. It's just over 20 pounds whole, and I'm wondering if anyone had a clue as to a general cook time for such a thing? Three hours maybe?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Macaroni posted:

Gonna do this later this week with my kabocha. What temperature should I roast at? 400º? Thanks!

Speaking of squash, how long can a hard-skinned squash last? I've got an acorn squash that's nearly a year old, but has no soft spots or discoloration. If I cut it open, will it be full of mold and eldritch horrors?

325 on a convection, so 350 for a standard should do the job. :P

Cut open the old squash for :science: !

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

nerox posted:

I live in the south and it's deer season. My brother and cousin kill enough does to have lots of meat and I have realized I am a dehydrator and recipe away from oodles of delicious deer jerky.

Any goons got a recipe they use and any dehydrator recommendations?

Oh I LIVE for deer jerky. Here's my recipe. I've never had anyone say anything other than "This is AWESOME GIVE ME MORE"

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup soy sauce (Use low sodium!! Or it will be too salty!)
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp pepper

You can adjust the heat by adding more chili powder and/or red pepper flakes.

Mix it all together until it's all dissolved or mostly dissolved. Put in your meat sliced about 1/4 inch thick, and marinate for at least 24 hours in the fridge (I've gone as long as 48 hours, I don't really think it matters). I usually put it in a zip top bag to marinate so I can smoosh it around whenever I remember just to make sure it's evenly coating the meat.

Put on your dehydrator for 5-8 hours, totally depends on your meat, I just check it every hour or so around hour 5 and take off the "done" pieces as necessary. Also, you don't need to wipe off the marinade or anything before dehydrating. I just let each piece drip off for a couple seconds before laying it down.

I just use a standard Nesco dehydrator and it works great! I recommend getting a couple extra trays though, it comes with 4 but I would like to have at least 6.

EDIT: This is the dehydrator I have. Nesco American Harvest, but I didn't get the "kit" with the jerky gun and other accessories. I don't much care for ground-meat jerky anyway.
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-61WHC-Snackmaster-Dehydrator/dp/B0002WSQHU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320797980&sr=8-3

And it did come with a couple packs of jerky seasoning that I used and didn't care much for.

razz fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 9, 2011

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

So, the local Fresh Market has lobster tail for $5.99 each and I can also get an employee discount through a friend. This means that I am eating lobster a ton this month, so I am looking for a few ideas of what else to make besides bisque and standard issue lobster tail. I am willing to experiment a bit. Does anyone have an particular ideas of what I should make?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

dino. posted:

325 on a convection, so 350 for a standard should do the job. :P

I just did 400 on this recipe:
http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/2010/03/oven-roasted-kabocha-squash.html

It came out pretty well. Also, let me thank the thread for the idea of kabocha. I hadn't realized until recently that kabocha was the "pumpkin" in the Panang curry I get at my local sushi / thai restaurant.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Wahad posted:

Can anybody go back to the fauxgras thread in archives and repost the parsley gelee recipe here? I have a fuckton of leftover parsley so it seems like a good investment.

I've been poking around for you -- do you remember approximately when that thread was active?

Mutter
Nov 20, 2004
I can't even afford 10 fucking dollars.

dino. posted:

If you haven't the wherewithal to tackle that sucker with your knives (because kabocha can be a rather hard pumpkin to tackle), just roast it whole for two hours. It'' cook all the way through, and the skin and seeds will come right out.

Then, combine it with sauteed onions, your favourite pumpkin pie spices, and a bit of coconut milk & apple juice (to thin it out), and puree it for the silkiest, creamiest pumpkin soup you've ever had. If you'd like, feel free to sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon, maple syrup, and cardamom. It's quite lovely on its own, but the addition of the spices brings something else out all together.

Thank you so much, this sounds incredible! I picked up the squash on a whim at my local asian market. I feel braver after reading about all of you people trying new things and making beautiful food.

I'll let you know how successful (or disastrous) it turns out.

Edit: Dumb question, should I plop that sucker in the oven straight or keep it in a roasting pan?

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I'd say do it in a roasting pan just in case it loses structural integrity.

Toasterdeath
Jun 30, 2003
a friend of my was boiling water to cook tea. unfortunately she forgot about it and the water boiled out.

now the bottom of the pot has a lot of blackened/burnt sections.

is there anything that can be done to remove/clean it? i told her to try using regular dishwashing soap but she said that didn't really help much

thanks

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Is the inside of the teapot bare metal, or is it coated in some way? If it's bare, time to bust out the steel wool.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
How can I keep my teriyaki drumsticks from being horribly salty? Right now I cook chicken in the sauce and drain it after it's cooked; it's really good flavor and texture-wise, except for all the salt. Should I use it as a marinade instead and toss it before cooking? I would just use low sodium soy sauce but I need to finish a half gallon of the regular stuff first.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I've been poking around for you -- do you remember approximately when that thread was active?

Maybe a year ago? I don't really know. I do remember that it was either by Hochiwawa or TheLizard, though, if that helps.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've decided to try and make ice cream, and the recipe calls for 5 egg yolks. Is there anything relatively easy I can make with 5 egg whites (apart from Meringues)? It seems a shame to just chuck them away...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you have a stand mixer you could make marshmallows. There was a marshmallow thread here in GWS but it was years ago. Lemme peek in the archives real quick.

edit: Oh yeah, here it is.

edit2: Although hmm, the OP recipe there doesn't call for egg whites. Ah well, this one online does.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 9, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Cool, maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow!

Also, operation Ice Cream is off to a great start, a pot of double cream burst in my bag on the way back from the shops and I had to walk home dripping white stuff all over the place :(

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Dutch cream pots are poo poo. They are notorious for exploding in my bag, or collapsing all over when you drop one on the kitchen floor.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Otm Shank posted:

How can I keep my teriyaki drumsticks from being horribly salty? Right now I cook chicken in the sauce and drain it after it's cooked; it's really good flavor and texture-wise, except for all the salt. Should I use it as a marinade instead and toss it before cooking? I would just use low sodium soy sauce but I need to finish a half gallon of the regular stuff first.

What are the proportions of your ingredients? I usually do a equal parts soy sauce (normal sodium) and mirin with a bit of sugar. Try using it as a marinade first, using a fork to punch holes into the chicken. You can then either baste it onto the chicken slowly, or just reduce it on the side for more sauce if the marinade didn't penetrate to your satisfaction.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

So I just bought some dragonfruit at the market because they were there, I tasted some, and it was decidedly awesome.

Now, what the hell do I do with it? I was thinking of juicing it, folding with some whipped cream and eggwhite to make a mousse, but I'll take other suggestions.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Toasterdeath posted:

a friend of my was boiling water to cook tea. unfortunately she forgot about it and the water boiled out.

is there anything that can be done to remove/clean it? i told her to try using regular dishwashing soap but she said that didn't really help much

thanks

There's a cleaner called Barkeepers Friend that is the poo poo when it comes to cleaning burned pots and pans. Try it.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

razz posted:

Oh I LIVE for deer jerky. Here's my recipe. I've never had anyone say anything other than "This is AWESOME GIVE ME MORE"

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup soy sauce (Use low sodium!! Or it will be too salty!)
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp pepper

You can adjust the heat by adding more chili powder and/or red pepper flakes.

Mix it all together until it's all dissolved or mostly dissolved. Put in your meat sliced about 1/4 inch thick, and marinate for at least 24 hours in the fridge (I've gone as long as 48 hours, I don't really think it matters). I usually put it in a zip top bag to marinate so I can smoosh it around whenever I remember just to make sure it's evenly coating the meat.

Put on your dehydrator for 5-8 hours, totally depends on your meat, I just check it every hour or so around hour 5 and take off the "done" pieces as necessary. Also, you don't need to wipe off the marinade or anything before dehydrating. I just let each piece drip off for a couple seconds before laying it down.

I just use a standard Nesco dehydrator and it works great! I recommend getting a couple extra trays though, it comes with 4 but I would like to have at least 6.

EDIT: This is the dehydrator I have. Nesco American Harvest, but I didn't get the "kit" with the jerky gun and other accessories. I don't much care for ground-meat jerky anyway.
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-61WHC-Snackmaster-Dehydrator/dp/B0002WSQHU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320797980&sr=8-3

And it did come with a couple packs of jerky seasoning that I used and didn't care much for.

This is awesome. I passed it on to some hunter friends of mine even though they have yet to kill a single deer. Sounds like a delicious recipe. I may just try it with some beef.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fat Lou posted:

So, the local Fresh Market has lobster tail for $5.99 each and I can also get an employee discount through a friend. This means that I am eating lobster a ton this month, so I am looking for a few ideas of what else to make besides bisque and standard issue lobster tail. I am willing to experiment a bit. Does anyone have an particular ideas of what I should make?

A little late, but there aren's a lot of things to do with lobster that are better than: steam, serve with butter.
- Grilled. You can split those tails in half and grill them to get some tooth to the meat.

- Lobster Roll. Chop it up and mix with butter, s+p and serve on a bed of crispy lettuce (Boston is good) in a buttered, grilled, frankfurter roll

- Lobster Ravioli, if you are good at making ravioli.I've never done it, but I've had it and it was good. It had a little white sauce, like a Bechamel or something with it.

- Lobster "Scampi", by the American definition, meaning just simmered up in white wine, garlic, oil, and a little lemon juice and serve over pasta

sporkupine
Apr 1, 2009

alea iacta est
I have five chicken breasts in the refrigerator that have been in there for three days (I was gonna eat them asap, but then got food poisoning and didn't eat anything for a while, now I'm better and starving). 1. Are they safe to eat? 2. I have so much chicken and so little stomach space, what do you all suggest I do with these?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

sporkupine posted:

I have five chicken breasts in the refrigerator that have been in there for three days (I was gonna eat them asap, but then got food poisoning and didn't eat anything for a while, now I'm better and starving). 1. Are they safe to eat? 2. I have so much chicken and so little stomach space, what do you all suggest I do with these?

Three days might be pushing it. Still Tasty gives raw chicken 1-2 days in the refrigerator, and as far as I've seen, their listings are pretty accurate.

Speaking of which, Still Tasty is a really good resource, everyone who cooks should bookmark it. It gives fridge and freezer longevity for a TON of foods.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Three days in the fridge should be absolutely fine. Smell it. If it smells alright, it's good to eat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Toasterdeath posted:

thanks

You might try leaving it to soak with a mix of boiling water and vinegar. That will works with the tannin stains from the tea at least, though I don't know about the burnt on stuff.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

A little late, but there aren's a lot of things to do with lobster that are better than: steam, serve with butter.
- Grilled. You can split those tails in half and grill them to get some tooth to the meat.

- Lobster Roll. Chop it up and mix with butter, s+p and serve on a bed of crispy lettuce (Boston is good) in a buttered, grilled, frankfurter roll

- Lobster Ravioli, if you are good at making ravioli.I've never done it, but I've had it and it was good. It had a little white sauce, like a Bechamel or something with it.

- Lobster "Scampi", by the American definition, meaning just simmered up in white wine, garlic, oil, and a little lemon juice and serve over pasta

I like all of these suggestions, except that lobstah roll is usually a dollop of mayo mixed into the meat, not butter.

Also, the meat mixture should be lightly chilled, and the buttered roll toasty and warm.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
So I'm making chicken fried steak for about 8 people in a small hunting camp kitchen. What would be the best thing to do in advance? Could I dredge and bread the steak, then freeze it and vacuum seal it?

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Probably better to make the soup and then freeze it, then the texture won't be so wonky. The meat will last a couple days in the fridge post food-coma, so you don't have to worry about soup until Saturday or Sunday.

This is a great idea. Looks like I have post-Thanksgiving weekend plans!

This got me thinking that I can also make pot pies and freeze them, although I've never frozen them before. I imagine I'd have to parbake the crust...Anyone have experience with that?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Two questions I hope I can get help with...

One: I made my first peppercorn sauce the other day, basically a Roux and double cream with crushed and whole peppercorns and a pinch of salt, but it tasted just like cream with a little almost unnoticeable hint of pepper. Any idea what I can do to get more flavour in them?

Secondly, I have been asked to make a Christmas pudding, but I'm feeling a bit over my head here. I know I have to steam it, but how do I do this without special equipment?
Also, I know I have to make it a bit over a month in advance to leave it to mature, but what do I do to it while it's resting? I'm worried about it drying out...

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
What would be a good side dish for the cranberry apple pork loin from the wiki? All I can think of is simple fried potatoes and maybe some cornbread or something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Where are your peppercorns from? Maybe they are just old. How much are you using? I saw Hubert Keller making au poivre burgers and he just smashed the whole peppercorns between two skillets. You said you are using some whole peppercorns, my experience with whole peppercorns in sauce has been negative - it doesn't give off any flavor to the sauce, but biting into one is a pepper-bomb.

I like the extra bold from Penzey's.

No clue about the pudding.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

XeeD posted:

What would be a good side dish for the cranberry apple pork loin from the wiki? All I can think of is simple fried potatoes and maybe some cornbread or something.

A lot of wonderful squashes are in season. Roast some potatoes, maybe some other root vegetables, some squash, whole garlic bulbs, and stuff just tossed in olive oil and herbs.
If you mix them up, then you'll have to figure out the timing of things or cut them into pieces that will make them roast at closer to the same time but basically 400 for an hour, turning them once, will do most root veggies.
edit: 450 for 45 minutes and they'll be browner and crispier, but I like to roast squash a little slower.

My local co-op had Jerusalem Artichokes recently; they're great.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Experto Crede posted:

Two questions I hope I can get help with...

One: I made my first peppercorn sauce the other day, basically a Roux and double cream with crushed and whole peppercorns and a pinch of salt, but it tasted just like cream with a little almost unnoticeable hint of pepper. Any idea what I can do to get more flavour in them?

Secondly, I have been asked to make a Christmas pudding, but I'm feeling a bit over my head here. I know I have to steam it, but how do I do this without special equipment?
Also, I know I have to make it a bit over a month in advance to leave it to mature, but what do I do to it while it's resting? I'm worried about it drying out...

As stated before, your pepper may be a bit on the old side. Personally, if I'm going to use pepper, I'm going to grind it. If you have the option, maybe go coarse with it. You also mention double cream by name, meaning somewhere in the 40% fat range (if USA and even higher in other countries), which might be just a bit over the top. Go with something just a touch less fatty as that might be masking some of the flavor.

As for the pudding, do you mean as in a sweet dessert, IE a cream based chocolate/vanilla mousse? Or do you mean an old school hasty pudding where you make a fried bread of sorts using the drippings from the roast?

Look at that. There is something specifically called "Chrsitmas Pudding". Never saw that before. Sorry. I'm of absolutely no help here.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Jewce posted:

This is awesome. I passed it on to some hunter friends of mine even though they have yet to kill a single deer. Sounds like a delicious recipe. I may just try it with some beef.

It would work great with beef! My dad even uses it to make goose jerky. I think goose jerky generally tastes pretty funky but this recipe makes it taste a hell of a lot better than it normally does.

razz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 9, 2011

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

CzarChasm posted:

As stated before, your pepper may be a bit on the old side. Personally, if I'm going to use pepper, I'm going to grind it. If you have the option, maybe go coarse with it. You also mention double cream by name, meaning somewhere in the 40% fat range (if USA and even higher in other countries), which might be just a bit over the top. Go with something just a touch less fatty as that might be masking some of the flavor.

As for the pudding, do you mean as in a sweet dessert, IE a cream based chocolate/vanilla mousse? Or do you mean an old school hasty pudding where you make a fried bread of sorts using the drippings from the roast?

Look at that. There is something specifically called "Chrsitmas Pudding". Never saw that before. Sorry. I'm of absolutely no help here.

Yeah, double cream is 48% fat here, I think you call it heavy cream in the US. I'll keep that in mind and use single cream next time (I believe that's the same as half and half)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Very Strange Things posted:

In addition to these, I saw a place advertising Lobster Pot Pie the other day.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Experto Crede posted:

Yeah, double cream is 48% fat here, I think you call it heavy cream in the US. I'll keep that in mind and use single cream next time (I believe that's the same as half and half)

It's not, single cream is about 35% fat, while half and half is 10-18%. I can't buy the stuff here either, but I found this webpage which explains how to make it by mixing milk and cream together:

http://www.ochef.com/902.htm

Also, my Ice Cream seems to actually be working :D I don't have an Ice Cream Maker, so I'm taking it out of the freezer every half hour and mixing with an electric whisk. It's been about 3.5 hours now, and last time I mixed it, the ice cream was still very soft, but when I mixed it, it was definitely more of a solid than a liquid until it'd been mixed for a couple of minutes. Is this a sign that it's nearly done? I've never done this before, and I'm not sure how much longer I need to keep mixing it before it's safe to just leave it in the freezer and forget about it til I want to eat it...

pintxo
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I think I ruined my french press.

I used it to foam some milk and rinsed it out, but forgot to clean it thoroughly before I put it away. Now it smells kinda weird and there are some dark areas on the wire mesh. Is there an easy way to clean it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Gerblyn posted:

It's not, single cream is about 35% fat, while half and half is 10-18%. I can't buy the stuff here either, but I found this webpage which explains how to make it by mixing milk and cream together:

http://www.ochef.com/902.htm

Also, my Ice Cream seems to actually be working :D I don't have an Ice Cream Maker, so I'm taking it out of the freezer every half hour and mixing with an electric whisk. It's been about 3.5 hours now, and last time I mixed it, the ice cream was still very soft, but when I mixed it, it was definitely more of a solid than a liquid until it'd been mixed for a couple of minutes. Is this a sign that it's nearly done? I've never done this before, and I'm not sure how much longer I need to keep mixing it before it's safe to just leave it in the freezer and forget about it til I want to eat it...

Huh, I thought single cream was about 18%...