Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g
Jul 20, 2004
Hai guys.

I made this a few months back. I had decided that when I hit 500 facebook fans, I would give it out for free. Being that I recently hit that number, it's now available as a free download on Soundcloud (until it reaches 100 downloads)

http://soundcloud.com/nautiluss/needyou

g fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

g posted:

Hai guys.

I made this a few months back. I had decided that when I hit 500 facebook fans, I would give it out for free. Being that I recently hit that number, it's now available as a free download on Soundcloud (until it reaches 100 downloads)

Wow, great stuff on your (short) page. "Bleu Monday" especially, has a warm blanket feel to it. Kind of hard to explain.

g
Jul 20, 2004

SUBFRIES posted:

Wow, great stuff on your (short) page. "Bleu Monday" especially, has a warm blanket feel to it. Kind of hard to explain.

Thanks man. That one is still available on vinyl. Dunno where you are at but you can find it on the usual suspects (juno, boomkat, hardwax, rush hour, etc).

edit: just saw you are in DC. I actually have no idea how many copies were shipped to the US nor where they ended up. (there was only 500 pressed to begin with)

g fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 7, 2011

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

g posted:

Hai guys.

Really nice tune! Solid release on Hemlock too. Big up!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

g posted:

Thanks man. That one is still available on vinyl. Dunno where you are at but you can find it on the usual suspects (juno, boomkat, hardwax, rush hour, etc).

edit: just saw you are in DC. I actually have no idea how many copies were shipped to the US nor where they ended up. (there was only 500 pressed to begin with)

Vinyl shopping in DC is tough, partly why I went digital years ago. I do pick up the odd release, but usually from UK shops. I really like the Hemlock vinyl because of the house sleeves, and seen Untold play here twice. Surus probably has copies still.

Did a little poking around too, turns out I have the Bassanova stuff too. Your Gzilla mixes look good too, lots of stuff I listen to and play. Will keep an eye out for more of your stuff! I'm opening for Switch in two weeks, at U Hall in DC. Was supposed to include Matt from Nadastrom, but he had to cancel because of a Scion tour he's doing.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Thanks! I guess I can't see this podcast in the US iTunes store, would be nice to subscribe.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

g posted:

Hai guys.

Very nice, big ups to you. Untold himself's not so much to my tastes for whatever reason but his selections for Hemlock have been sterling. The new Guy Andrews single is pretty solid too.

Meanwhile Modeselektor continues to have preposterous reach as label curators. Addison Groove's inaugural LP will come out on their 50 Weapons imprint.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2011

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

a milk crime posted:

You really can't talk about juke without understanding footwork battles. Individual routine watching is fine, but battles are where everything really comes out. This is one of my favorite footwork battles. If you've listened to any juke, please just watch Walacam videos for hours, it will really just change how you look at footworking music. Light bulb kills it. Footworking music, unlike other forms of dance music, puts the dancer before the music. In most music in general, the music comes before everything else to a large extent, but in Footwork, the dancing is what is more important by far.

That's why it doesn't work for me without that context. I can see juke taking off if it was diluted/changed a lot, or incoporated with another sound though. In its own right? Not so much.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

That's why it doesn't work for me without that context. I can see juke taking off if it was diluted/changed a lot, or incoporated with another sound though. In its own right? Not so much.

To further prove this point, DJ Rashad and DJ Spinn were at the Red Bull Music Academy. Here is a set that they recorded - the video. Watch the video, and you'll see that you can't understand juke outside of its context - it's so awkward. It really turns it into some weird chinstroking IDM type thing if there is no dancing going on. Granted, this mix is seriously fire, but I was working so hard while watching this it was nuts.

(DJ Rashad is an expert at pouring water. "Oh Spinn, you look famished, here is a glass")

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I loved their lecture and I would've probably been leaping out of my chair and broking out like a moron. Don't care how many Red bull cool points it would cost me! It was a very informative lecture/set.

Maguro fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 8, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

a milk crime posted:

It really turns it into some weird chinstroking IDM type thing if there is no dancing going on.
Hence Paradinas.

Though he's stated that he's never made it out to Chicago primarily because he doesn't want to be seen as showing favoritism in the competitive juke world, and that's fair enough I guess.

nibe
Feb 23, 2008

thepopstalinist posted:

Meanwhile Modeselektor continues to have preposterous reach as label curators. Addison Groove's inaugural LP will come out on their 50 Weapons imprint.

I saw that Anstam song you posted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3jMoNRMGyM) from their 50 Weapons release. I'm really digging the album, Dispel Dances. Spooky like Distance but heavily on the experimental side and all over the map with what I would ignorantly call avant-garde/industrial sounds.

a milk crime posted:

To further prove this point, DJ Rashad and DJ Spinn were at the Red Bull Music Academy. Here is a set that they recorded - the video.
I recently discovered the RBMA video lectures, an amazing amount of content from important names in the scene. Frankly it's quite an intimidating volume. This is just the Bass section:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures#orderBy=name&filters%5Bgenre%5D%5B%5D=Bass&shownResults=0

nibe fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 8, 2011

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Hey, get the new Hackman release everyone, it's really cool! I also really like the new Kromestar EP, it's on a different hype.

I should also point out that that bass music release site is a complete life saver. Not only are they compiling the releases, but now they've added links to previews saving me like 30 minutes of searching for each week.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
It's been a good day, the Mosca EP is good and the Lowtec release.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Paradinas interview from '06 is really good, he talks about DMZ and FWD>> nights and plays a test press of the Loefah remix of "Punisher".

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I figure this is a good place to mention this. I recently came across this album called Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat that a dude from India put together in 1982 with a TB-303, TR-808, and a Jupiter-8 synth. Apparently everybody was freaking out when this album was rediscovered in 2010 about how similar it sounds to early Acid House stuff, which didn't really get going until at least around 1987. Pretty futuristic for 1982.

I'm not really sure though. What would you really classify this under? Bleep n' bass? It doesn't sound like he's doing any of the squelching distortion that I normally associate with acid. Was there anything else like this going on in 1982?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Skeletron posted:

I figure this is a good place to mention this. I recently came across this album called Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat that a dude from India put together in 1982 with a TB-303, TR-808, and a Jupiter-8 synth. Apparently everybody was freaking out when this album was rediscovered in 2010 about how similar it sounds to early Acid House stuff, which didn't really get going until at least around 1987. Pretty futuristic for 1982.

I'm not really sure though. What would you really classify this under? Bleep n' bass? It doesn't sound like he's doing any of the squelching distortion that I normally associate with acid. Was there anything else like this going on in 1982?

Yeah it's a weird one, I remember when it was released a year or two ago. Whether it really was recorded in 1982, well I have my doubts about that. I mean I don't know, but you'd think something recorded in early 80s India (in fact early 80s anywhere really) wouldn't have aged as well as it's apparently done. I always figured it was like how the Hate Recordings stuff was really 'unfound Jungle' bought at a car boot sale or whatever. Whether it's the truth or not, it makes nice type.

It's pretty cool sounding though either way. What would it go under? Hmm, well Acid House maybe(despite the lack of squelching)? Acid Folk? Acid Traditional Indian Music? It's pretty much out there, floating on it's own. If you were a smart enough DJ though I could see you fitting it into any of the above, or even some Bleep stuff, maybe some early Trance stuff(your MFS type stuff maybe?)

nibe posted:

I recently discovered the RBMA video lectures, an amazing amount of content from important names in the scene. Frankly it's quite an intimidating volume.

Just be glad they're hosted on Vimeo now instead of on their own hosting. That made life very difficult, especially since you couldn't seem to just pause and let it load up without it sticking.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 8, 2011

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nevermind.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 8, 2011

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Big ups to the LEJAL'NYTE club night and radio show in Estonia for playing out my tunes and putting them in their latest radioshow mix. Check the mix at their blog it's pretty dope!: http://lejalnyte.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/lnrs051/

01. Juke Ellington – Juke Yo’ Jams [-]
02. Panjabi MC – Mundian To Bach Ke (TCJ Beware of the Juke Bootleg Remix) [-]
03. Papoose – Paid a Grip (TCJ Bootleg Remix) [-]
04. Self Evident – Floating With The Tide [-]
05. Will Azada – Deep Juke [-]
06. Stardust – MSBWU (Hollydjee Remix) [-]
07. Waxmaster – Hit the Flo (STLKRFXXX Remix) [-]
08. Caidance – Bubble Wrap [-]
09. Rio – Drop It Low (Justin Bile Made Me Juke It Out Remix) [-]
10. Grässhopas – Rakvere Eri (Juke Refix) [-]
11. Kan Takahiko – Juke Ponpon [-]
12. Will Azada – We Rave It [-]
13. Juke Ellington – Godfather Ghetto Anthem [-]
14. SPRKLFXXX – It Was All A Dream [-]
15. Chump Change – Fleet [-]
16. Daft Punk – Rectifiler (Leatherface Remix) [Booty Call 2011]
17. Rashad Spinn Boylan – Tekklife [-]
18. DJ Taye – So Many Places [B.YRSLF 2010]
19. Out-Or – Snoki [-]
20. Keiska – Tearjerk [B.YRSLF 2011]
21. DJ Hilti – Back in The Day [B.YRSLF 2010]
22. Slick Shoota – Pussyclot Funk Dem [B.YRSLF 2011]
23. Öökülm – Räpp On Sitaks Lahe (Juke Refix) [-]
24. Barrington Levy – The Vibes Is Right (Om Unit Edit) [-]

Features FLEET:
http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/fleet

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Also late to the party on this one but it's rad :)

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
So is this brostep and if it isn't what category does it fall under?
http://hypem.com/artist/Feed%20Me%20%28feat.%20Hadouken%29

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Brostep, but well engineered / produced. Feed Me is also known as Spor, if you're familiar with drum'n'bass at all.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Yep and Hadouken! are a indie-dance nu-ravey band with some attempts at grime who were signed to Atlantic. I guess on the back of all that The Rapture/DFA hype a few years back. Surprisingly not as bad as it sounds. It's worth pointing out the lead singer used to apparently go to a lot of the early DMZs etc, and by all accounts a decent guy. And he sampled RIPgroove in a track so hey, he can't be all bad.

g
Jul 20, 2004
This new Space Dimension Controller release on R&S is fantastic.

http://www.tiraquon6.net/

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
yo 28gbb and others - I don't usually post in or read this thread aside from the Guide posts (which are always great) but what do you guys think about the slow rise of footwork in the UK bass community? Its had a limited influence over there as evidenced by Addison Groove's Footcrab/Dumbshit, Out In Da Streets by Africa Hitech, Phillip D Kick, and Machinedrum's Ecstasy Boom EP. How do you think the big Mike Paradinas/Planet Mu push with Bangs & Works Vol. 2 and the multiple releases from native Chicago producers is going to work out? Will it always be a niche sound of is the footwork style going to explode for a year on UK dancefloors?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
peep this mix: http://soundcloud.com/seismicimports/seismic-imports-14

Seismic Imports is on point

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Bang Me Please posted:

yo 28gbb and others - I don't usually post in or read this thread aside from the Guide posts (which are always great) but what do you guys think about the slow rise of footwork in the UK bass community? Its had a limited influence over there as evidenced by Addison Groove's Footcrab/Dumbshit, Out In Da Streets by Africa Hitech, Phillip D Kick, and Machinedrum's Ecstasy Boom EP. How do you think the big Mike Paradinas/Planet Mu push with Bangs & Works Vol. 2 and the multiple releases from native Chicago producers is going to work out? Will it always be a niche sound of is the footwork style going to explode for a year on UK dancefloors?

Well like I was saying a few pages back I don't really follow or know too much about the whole Chicago side of things. But with regards to it over here. Well I don't know, I have my doubts it's not really going to go much further than it is. As normal you'll probably get a bunch of folk copying the likes of Africa HiTech and Addison groove and what not, but they won't be very good. Over here it seems more to be just taking some elements and fusing it with what's already here. To be honest not too different from the original House/Acid House days.

No, I definitely don't think it'll expand much more than it has done. As I think it's only really the music crossing the Atlantic, rather than the culture. The whole battle scene thing and everything else that goes around it, that's what is really important about it I guess. And I think the music, personally it's not what I personally listen to, and truthfully I think without the rest of the scene that orbits around it can be pretty boring taken individually.

And also like someone said earlier, the music seems like it'll be very, very easy for folks to chin-stroke and IDM-ise and otherwise turn into something that sounds poo poo, is annoyingly abrasive, completely un-danceable and is otherwise a total waste of time, energy and money. Being on Planet Mu doesn't help in that regard, even with Mike Paradinas' best intentions, though Planet Mu has been trying their best over recent years to shake off their old IDM reputation I feel.

As for the original Chicago producers. I could see them being in demand here. Like the original Chicago House producers a lucrative career in DJing awaits in the UK clubs, well maybe not that lucrative unfortunately but still (and if this was 10-20 years ago I'd also say they could probably also have made a comfortable living remixing, sadly that's also gone out the window over the past decade). Of course they might not need us if the North American dance scene as a whole keeps improving and can self-sustain itself a bit more.

Of course I could be very wrong and for all I know at this very minute there is a vast network of underground footwork competitions in the east end of London with kids going mental over it. Doubt it though.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Bang Me Please posted:

The last page had a lot of discussion about this.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Of course I could be very wrong and for all I know at this very minute there is a vast network of underground footwork competitions in the east end of London with kids going mental over it. Doubt it though.

Oh, I wish.

I think the consensus we came away with from the other page is that it can't be enjoyed in a non-IDM way without understanding the footwork context. So even if Paradinas can get the music to come over, he need to bring the scene too. This means dancers. I'd love it to happen, but that's a big leap to take.

Also, have a look at the footwork vids online - they all take place in lovely warehouses. Do we have any of those in London that are still free?

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yeah it's a weird one, I remember when it was released a year or two ago. Whether it really was recorded in 1982, well I have my doubts about that. I mean I don't know, but you'd think something recorded in early 80s India (in fact early 80s anywhere really) wouldn't have aged as well as it's apparently done. I always figured it was like how the Hate Recordings stuff was really 'unfound Jungle' bought at a car boot sale or whatever. Whether it's the truth or not, it makes nice type.
Yeah, I like how everyone immediately thought "it must be Aphex Twin". It does sound like an unusually great restoration job for an obscure album from early 80s India. But there's a video of some dude actually going to Charanjit Singh's house and interviewing him. It doesn't seem like he gets why people are so excited about this album he made back in 1982. Then he improvises a bit on his crappy digital Yamaha keyboard. Possibly faked I guess, but I believe it.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Skeletron posted:

Yeah, I like how everyone immediately thought "it must be Aphex Twin". It does sound like an unusually great restoration job for an obscure album from early 80s India. But there's a video of some dude actually going to Charanjit Singh's house and interviewing him. It doesn't seem like he gets why people are so excited about this album he made back in 1982. Then he improvises a bit on his crappy digital Yamaha keyboard. Possibly faked I guess, but I believe it.

Well I mean I didn't think it was Aphex Twin or anyone like that, just someone doing it in modern times with the old equipment. Like a genuine attempt at a non-pastiche retro thing. But I mean anything is possible, and I can't say I know anything about Indian music, so there is also just as good a chance it is original.

I do know I remember reading either an article/website and listening to stuff that was made in Goa in the mid to late-80s, completely pre-dating what we know today as Goa Trance(better take a couple of showers to scrub off the filth now I've said those words). Anyway the stuff made there, the stuff that was being DJed and mixed togther sounded surprisingly similar to what would come 5-10 years down the line. Definitely not the same but you could see the links. So I mean if it is original I wouldn't be surprised. Either way it's an interesting collection of music that I've been meaning to buy since I first heard it.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Symptomless Coma posted:

So even if Paradinas can get the music to come over, he need to bring the scene too. This means dancers. I'd love it to happen, but that's a big leap to take.

I dunno, I've seen a few youtubes of kids in europe having their own little footwork battles in dance studios. Even when chrissy murderbot played out here in New orleans, some of the cities best b-boy and bounce dancers came out, and it wasn't TOO far off from what it "should be" in my mind (though I'm not from chicago). It wasn't a battle but those dudes were def. attempting to footwork, and that's good enough for me.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Also there were a few people in the audience, like me, who if they attempted to footwork would just trip all over themselves so I just raved like normal and it worked out just fine :)

I wish there were MORE people on the dancefloor, but the chrissy murderbot show wasn't that well promoted...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah as went over a few pages back, when Murderbot and Machinedrum came through Denver it was not well received at all. Part of that was dismal promotion but mostly it's that people don't know how to react to footwork. I don't think most people out here would know how to react to jungle, for that matter.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

thepopstalinist posted:

I don't think most people out here would know how to react to jungle, for that matter.

Yeah but you also don't see a bunch of dudes deriding tear-out Jungle tunes as being "like IDM" and "chin-stroking" like you do with Juke for some reason, even though I think Juke is wayyyyy easier for the "average Joe" to dance to and actually appreciate.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
I guess we'll find out shortly enough - Paradinas, Machinedrum, Murderbot - scheduled to play Boiler room like, near the end of this month. Of course, Boiler Room crowd is notorious for not moving unless Asbo tells you to "stan still"

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

a milk crime posted:

Of course, Boiler Room crowd is notorious for not moving unless Asbo tells you to "stan still"

Yeah they seem to move a little bit more from some of the more recent streams I've seen but good god, some of the people look downright bored during some of the best sets I've ever heard.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

What's that Untold? You're going to play an all vinyl oldskool harcore classics set? Well let me just grab my can of Red Stripe and cross my arms while staring at my feet.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I thought not dancing at shows was just an American thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Yeah, crowds have been moving more. In general, if they're at home, then by the last set you've been seeing them move more. The Amsterdam M-nus takeover was all movement - the first 17 minutes of the Hawtin video work, and it's really just cool. I lost all my hate for Hawtin just watching him make a crowd move like that. Last week's Madrid RBMA session was also just nuts. Of course, like, Oneman is the best at getting people to go ham.

http://boilerroom.tv/download-oneman%E2%80%99s-65-min-mix/ this may be my favorite oneman set to watch the video of.

thepopstalinist posted:

I thought not dancing at shows was just an American thing

>8| i dance all the time bro...........

• Locked thread