Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

doomfunk posted:

When you guys were saying NG+ feels ridiculously easy, you weren't kidding. I'm on Sen's after all of two hours, and a lot of that was playing dressup and stockpiling duplicate pyromancy.

I feel like instead of the difficulty steadily increasing it's like a spectrum...

NG------Endgame--------NG+----NG+--Four Kings
Hard----Easier----Easy-----Easier-------Hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

JP Money posted:

I'm still not even clear where the "shortcut" door is. If I take the elevator down from the Chaos Covenant bonfire and drop off the stairs that are broken then go left down the tree-root that is before the exit of that room - is that the shortcut?

It's the path with the sunlight guy and all the little spiky creatures you have to kill for the maggot helm. I gave the covenant 30 humanity already.

Yeah, that's the shortcut. You can go in there and take it before even fighting the Demon Firesage. If you gave the chaos lady 30 humanity and are still in the covenant, you get a prompt to open the door when you stand next to it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I took that, killed the Capra / Titanite / Whatever demon then somehow lost my footing at that big hole with vagina dentata monsters and got wreckeddd by poison out of stupidity and instantly knew I'd hate LI.

This is after breezing through the previous sections no problem too. I can already tell it's gonna be tedious.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

JP Money posted:

This is after breezing through the previous sections no problem too. I can already tell it's gonna be tedious.

Once you get across that bridge via the shortcut you'll be fine. It's not just a shortcut into Lost Izalith but a shortcut through it as well. When you enter that way, go straight, turn left at the first dead end to go to a higher level, then turn around and run along that higher level up some stairs. You're at the boss.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Neo Rasa posted:

Once you get across that bridge via the shortcut you'll be fine. It's not just a shortcut into Lost Izalith but a shortcut through it as well. When you enter that way, go straight, turn left at the first dead end to go to a higher level, then turn around and run along that higher level up some stairs. You're at the boss.

Oh for some reason I thought you had to fight all those dinosaurs too.

That should make poo poo real easy. I'll have the game done in just a few more minutes then haha.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

Oh for some reason I thought you had to fight all those dinosaurs too.

That should make poo poo real easy. I'll have the game done in just a few more minutes then haha.

Real men fight through the rotting dino butts.

Also, I didn't realize that the shortcut would have let me bypass all of them until after I killed all of them. Decent XP at least, and once you get to the tower in the middle of the Lava, not at all hard to kill.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vargs posted:

Yeah, that's the shortcut. You can go in there and take it before even fighting the Demon Firesage. If you gave the chaos lady 30 humanity and are still in the covenant, you get a prompt to open the door when you stand next to it.

Can you be really super specific about this? :( I glitched humanity just to get that shortcut and I cannot find it at all. Please help me, internet.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Drox posted:

Can you be really super specific about this? :( I glitched humanity just to get that shortcut and I cannot find it at all. Please help me, internet.

You know where the door to demon firesage is? If you're facing it there's a path to the right down a tree root. You'll wind up at another door, that's the shortcut.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Drox posted:

From the demon ruins, go up to the fog door leading to the demon firesage. Instead of going through, head to your right, down a branch. The shortcut is straight in front of you, with a bunch of jumping bugs around it.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh, great. I have access to a shortcut that starts somewhere I haven't been yet. Thanks anyway guys.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Drox posted:

Oh, great. I have access to a shortcut that starts somewhere I haven't been yet. Thanks anyway guys.

You can get to it pretty easily. From the chaos covenant go out the door past the bonfire. There's a bridge over the lava about halfway down. Cross it and kill Ceaseless Discharge(you can glitch him if you need to). That will clear the lava and open the way to the shortcut and Demon Firesage.

If you've already level 2ed the covenant, the shortcut will open whenever you get to it as long as you are in the covenant when you get there.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Got summoned for O&S, finally. By a guy wearing the starter thief set. With no helmet. And using the Grass Crest Shield.

SORCERY SAVED THE DAY

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Buffer posted:

You can get to it pretty easily. From the chaos covenant go out the door past the bonfire. There's a bridge over the lava about halfway down. Cross it and kill Ceaseless Discharge(you can glitch him if you need to). That will clear the lava and open the way to the shortcut and Demon Firesage.

If you've already level 2ed the covenant, the shortcut will open whenever you get to it as long as you are in the covenant when you get there.

Well, now I'm confused again, since I have killed Ceaseless and I don't remember any branches or trees or anything.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Drox posted:

Well, now I'm confused again, since I have killed Ceaseless and I don't remember any branches or trees or anything.

The rest of the demon ruins is down where Ceaseless was standing.

So hold on, this is your first playthrough and you're using the shortcut? Come on now, you've got to see Lost Izalith through at least once, if only to know the meaning of pain.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vargs posted:

The rest of the demon ruins is down where Ceaseless was standing.

So hold on, this is your first playthrough and you're using the shortcut? Come on now, you've got to see Lost Izalith through at least once, if only to know the meaning of pain.

I know, I went there and it was tedious bullshit with capra demons that respawn. I was hoping this was a shortcut TO Lost Izalith but I guess I was mistaken again?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Underwhelmed posted:

Real men fight through the rotting dino butts.

Also, I didn't realize that the shortcut would have let me bypass all of them until after I killed all of them. Decent XP at least, and once you get to the tower in the middle of the Lava, not at all hard to kill.

Your eyes and ears must be made of solid steel because it wasn't the dino butts that were bad. It was the eye bleed inducing glow effects of the lava and the constant annoying crunch crunch crunch as you moved through it.

From now on I skip that poo poo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Drox posted:

I know, I went there and it was tedious bullshit with capra demons that respawn. I was hoping this was a shortcut TO Lost Izalith but I guess I was mistaken again?

Nah, you still have to go through the Demon Ruins. It skips two bosses and the majority of Lost Izalith itself, dumping you off right next to the last boss of the area.

Buffer
May 6, 2007

Drox posted:

There's another shortcut that opens from the Chaos covenant down around the Demon Firesage that will let you skip the Capras, but you have to kill Demon Firesage first(E: it's that floor panel, it turns into an elevator that drops you off above Firesage's room). There's really only one Capra, a couple demon statues, a Taurus Demon and a Centipede Demon from the last bonfire in Demon Ruins to the boss or shortcut. Demon Ruins has nothing on Lost Izalith for tedium, so you'll be glad for the shortcut.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Can anyone give me a rundown on what divine damage does? I'm going to make a +10 Divine broadsword regardless (currently +6), but obviously the diving damage doesn'y apply to all enemies. Can anyone enlighten me as to how it works, and what enemies (other than skeletons and undead) that is actually helps against?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

McKilligan posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown on what divine damage does? I'm going to make a +10 Divine broadsword regardless (currently +6), but obviously the diving damage doesn'y apply to all enemies. Can anyone enlighten me as to how it works, and what enemies (other than skeletons and undead) that is actually helps against?

Divine, if I'm remembering right, is pretty much magic damge scaled against faith instead of intelligence. Not the most useful thing on Earth but it gets pretty good once you start taking you faith up to ludicrous levels. The only unique benefit divine gives is that skeletons dont get back up during a specific boss fight. That's nto to say it's garbage or anything, however if you're playing as afaith character Occult weapons might scale better for you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

McKilligan posted:

God I wish I knew, I can't figure out exactly how divine/occult damage differs from magic damage, even to skeletons (minus the thing where it keeps them from being resurrected).

edit: if it merely does an extra % damage to skeletons, why does the astora sword have a divine rating of 120 while normal divine weapons are 100? What does that number mean?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 10, 2011

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

McKilligan posted:

IIRC it gives you a damage bonus against the skellies (percentage I think?) and prevents the necros from endlessly bringing them back. I wouldn't do that to your broadsword though, Try using a regular longsword or the sunlight straight sword if you can find it. Similar damage but the R2 for those give you a pierce instead of the slash, which seems to be infinitely more useful on swords like that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Every time I try to do any pvp I'm all geared up and end up saying ... oh... you need a lot of humanity. and I have none.

ALSO, I hit sunbro and he started attacking me. not sure if I want to grind level 58's worth of souls though. Is the forest the best place to grind souls in the late game, still? maybe that bit of demon ruins before firesage? I don't want to go to izalith before grinding humanity for the door, and grinding souls for sunbro :(

Also, I don't know what the gently caress in the duke's archives.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

God I wish I knew, I can't figure out exactly how divine/occult damage differs from magic damage, even to skeletons (minus the thing where it keeps them from being resurrected).

edit: if it merely does an extra % damage to skeletons, why does the astora sword have a divine rating of 120 while normal divine weapons are 100? What does that number mean?

Astora's makes skeletons 20% more dead than normal divine weapons... or maybe it's just bonus damage against enemies vulnerable to divine effects.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I just wish I could get King's Field to work on that Playstation emulator I have. That one critical door won't open (at the end of the long stone hallway with the series of crescent axe knights) no matter what, and it blocks access to the rest of the game.

I went through KF2 a couple months ago on emulator without issue. I dunno about KF1, though.

E: It was on ePSXe, and plugins were--Video: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.16, Sound: Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 10, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Astora's makes skeletons 20% more dead than normal divine weapons... or maybe it's just bonus damage against enemies vulnerable to divine effects.
Well, all I know is that my astora sword does significantly less damage to skeletons than my silver knight sword, given that their total attack power is very similar (within five points). Someone said before that multiple damage type weapons do less damage in general, but I thought skeletons would be extra vulnerable to divine damage and thus it would make it do more damage over all, but no.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

redreader posted:

Every time I try to do any pvp I'm all geared up and end up saying ... oh... you need a lot of humanity. and I have none.

ALSO, I hit sunbro and he started attacking me. not sure if I want to grind level 58's worth of souls though. Is the forest the best place to grind souls in the late game, still? maybe that bit of demon ruins before firesage? I don't want to go to izalith before grinding humanity for the door, and grinding souls for sunbro :(

Also, I don't know what the gently caress in the duke's archives.

PvP is the best place to farm souls. If you haven't killed dark sun gyndolwyn then attacking big boobed chick to darken anor lando and standing at the bottom of the steps is a good place to farm invaders. I'd recommend summoning some help though. Darkmooners are way more cheesy then forest invaders (probably because it's a much bigger pain in the rear end to get 10 souvenirs from pvp then it is to get three forest kills).

e: Actually even if you don't want to PvP a stack of homeward bones makes the two npcs that spawn when you do what I said above great XP.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Not sure if it's been noted, 1.05 patch is out in Japan.

Only changes to balancing is the Elite Knight set got unnerfed.

http://mod.gib.me/darksouls/patches/1.04%20to%201.05/armor.txt

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gibbed posted:

Now it'll be out for every other version! Most certainly. Yeah.

I was not expecting the way Logan looked. I didn't even get to say thank you. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gibbed posted:

I can't check right now but I hope that next time I turn on the game I start seeing summoning signs again. It's been so lonely since the 1.4 patch came out...

Because of that I did a lot of things alone for the first time, like the archer crossfire getting into anor lando castle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

God the centipede demon is a dumb boss fight. The camera is sooo hosed and why even give you the big arena if you cant fight in it? Gah, retarded.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 10, 2011

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I realize that they're probably testing these changes out in Japan before bringing them to the larger markets, and that this is a small fix, but it's kinda hilarious to come checking for patch news, and find out that it's not out yet, but Japan got another one.

Nice to see that Elite Knight Armor is going to remain where it is, though. It's a decent set of armor and a good reward for using the Master Key, I'd say.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Nickoten posted:

but Japan got another one.
It's a hotfix to fix multiplayer issues that came with 1.04, I think it's nicer we didn't get a broken patch forced on us.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nickoten posted:

I realize that they're probably testing these changes out in Japan before bringing them to the larger markets, and that this is a small fix, but it's kinda hilarious to come checking for patch news, and find out that it's not out yet, but Japan got another one.

Nice to see that Elite Knight Armor is going to remain where it is, though. It's a decent set of armor and a good reward for using the Master Key, I'd say.
I'll probably end up using EK top and black leather pants on a lot of my characters post patch. Right now it's EK top and antiquated skirt. All day, every day.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

God the centipede demon is a dumb boss fight. The camera is sooo hosed and why even give you the big arena if you cant fight in it? Gah, retarded.
What determines whether that demon stands back on the lava swinging its stupid centipede arm at you, or comes in close so you can actually fight it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

What determines whether that demon stands back on the lava swinging its stupid centipede arm at you, or comes in close so you can actually fight it?

No idea. I think it's just a waiting game. I thought it was easy on my first playthrough but it is just ridiculous on NG+. It's really stupid you don't get to keep the lava ring on subsequent play throughs.

I also just noticed that it is literally cobbled together from the gaping dragons body and undead dragon butts. Lazy bastards.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

gibbed posted:

:hellyeah:

And now style doesn't mean you need to give up your stats

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Didn't Elite Knight get a handful of defensive nerfs in 1.04, on top of the Poise hits?

Yeah, looks like it did:
code:
Elite Knight Helm (350000):
  defenseFire: 9 → 8
  defenseMagic: 9 → 7
  saDurability: 8 → 6

Elite Knight Armor (351000):
  defenseFire: 25 → 18
  defenseMagic: 23 → 17
  saDurability: 20 → 15

Elite Knight Gauntlets (352000):
  defensePhysics: 12 → 18
  saDurability: 6 → 4

Elite Knight Leggings (353000):
  defenseFire: 14 → 11
  defenseMagic: 14 → 11
  saDurability: 12 → 9
So the Poise was brought back up, but as of 1.05 it's still nerfed defensively compared to 1.03.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

NESguerilla posted:

No idea. I think it's just a waiting game. I thought it was easy on my first playthrough but it is just ridiculous on NG+. It's really stupid you don't get to keep the lava ring on subsequent play throughs.

I also just noticed that it is literally cobbled together from the gaping dragons body and undead dragon butts. Lazy bastards.
No, he isn't. Look more closely.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
How the hell do you get out of blight town? I'm at the bottom bonfire near all that loving poison water and a huge water wheel thing. I went down and beat some huge fire spider bitch, and I can go further that way to get murdered by a larger fire bastard. But gently caress all that I just want to see day light again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rikimaru posted:

How the hell do you get out of blight town? I'm at the bottom bonfire near all that loving poison water and a huge water wheel thing. I went down and beat some huge fire spider bitch, and I can go further that way to get murdered by a larger fire bastard. But gently caress all that I just want to see day light again!

Fastest way's to climb up the waterwheel, go around on a series of platforms, and come out through the Valley of the Drakes and New Londo Ruins. Careful on the waterwheel, it's stupid easy to fall to your death climbing off

• Locked thread