Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

TheNintenGenius posted:

I find it funny that you qualify your suggestion for Bone Machine with it being a really weird album, when The Black Rider is, in my opinion at least, the absolute strangest album Waits has ever done. I mean, at bare minimum none of his other albums feature him singing like a wizened old crone or spoken word bits from William S. Burroughs.

But anyway, to respond to the person asking about Waits, I'd definitely go with Small Change, Rain Dogs, and Bone Machine as all being possible places to go next. Maybe Orphans if you don't mind getting a 3xCD set (since that one displays an absolutely huge range of styles).

Yeah, I meant to remove the qualifier at all, then just moved on in thought. The Black Rider is pretty out there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Maha posted:

Where do I start with Raymond Watts' PIG?

I'm not an expert on PIG but I'm pretty sure you'll get a good answer in The Electro-Industrial thread.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

kingturnip posted:

From the bits of reading I've done online, it seems like their debut "Back In The D.H.S.S." is the way to go, particularly if you can get a version with "The Trumpton Riots E.P." included.
That's how I went and I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for that - I'll get on to Amazon tomorrow.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Voodoofly posted:

In my opinion:

Del: Start with Deltron 3030. It is a classic album. I'm not going to debate whether it is better than Dr. Octagon (it is), but at the least Deltron 3030 is a great introduction to Del, Dan the Automator, Kid Koala, and basically a beta-version of the Gorillaz first album. After that, I would actually say Hieroglyphics - Third Eye Vision is the next best place with Del. He isn't on everything, but he is definitely the standout star. You could also go back to I Wish My Brother George Was Here, but that album is definitely more of the early 90s bomb-squad afrocentric style rap than the style Del would later embody. As for his later solo albums, I'll be honest and admit I never really got into them much (which doesn't mean they are bad, just that the couple of times I've heard them I wasn't feeling it/in the mood/whatever).

Mos Def: Really hard to go wrong with either Black Star or his first solo album Black on Both Sides. If you put a gun to my head, and said you were interested in Mos Def specifically, I'd say go with Black on Both Sides simply because you get more of a range of the styles Mos was experimenting with (for better and for worse). I consider both albums classics, though, so if you like Mos at all you will probably get both. After that, people are split on his second solo album (The New Danger). I think it has its moments, but it is definitely worth saving for the end of the journey. Stay the everloving gently caress away from his third solo abomination True Magic. Seriously, stay far, far away. However, The Ecstatic is a really strong album - perhaps his best top to bottom. It is also a great introduction to more modern hip hop trends, and to Madlib's production style as well (he is all over the album), which would fit into your third question.

MF Doom/Madvillain: You answered your own question, start with the Madvillain album. After that, I'll let someone else fill in. He has a huge catalog and I'm not the hugest MF Doom fan, so most of my favorite albums of his are with other producers (such as Madlib or Danger Mouse on The Mouse and the Mask). The first Victor Vaughn album is decent, and I know some people love it, but seriously start with Madvillain.

Hey, couple of weeks late with this but just wanted to say thanks for this, really great rec. Got hold of a few albums on this list, currently digging Black Star the most at the moment. Cheers!

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
where do i start with Whitehouse's more "rocking" stuff. the kind of stuff that influenced Burmese, Drunkdriver and Billy Bao type bands

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Where do I start with Black Flag?

There's so much, all the different singers, I have no idea where to start with this.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's so much, all the different singers, I have no idea where to start with this.

Damaged is pretty much known as their definitive release, the singer on that is Henry Rollins, so I'd start with that. Before that they had three different lead singers: Keith Morris, Ron Reyes and Dez Candena. They all feature on various singles and EPs: I honestly am not super familiar with these releases, so I can't make a recommendation there. Hopefully someone else can. But I'd definitely start with Damaged.

e: v Do what he says.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

The First Four Years covers most of the stuff with different singers. Everything from Damaged onward had Rollins singing.

So, get The First Four Years, Damaged, and My War. Continue on through the discography if you like the second side of My War but skip Family Man and go straight to Slip It In for now. If not, start listening to other 80s Hardcore.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Blast Fantasto posted:

Chronologically. Don't be intimidated by the sheer number of members, everything the first three singers recorded is collected on The First Four Years (the Nervous Breakdown, Jealous Again, and Six Pack EPs combined, plus a couple other tracks) and Everything Went Black (mostly outtakes and alternate takes; interesting to hear Dez Cadena's singing on some soon-to-be Damaged tracks, but largely inessential).

fake edit - since that guy just said basically the same thing I was going to, I'm going to fall back to my comedy option: track down the Minuteflag EP (please don't, it'll bring down your opinion of two great bands)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

dailydares posted:

So, get The First Four Years, Damaged, and My War. Continue on through the discography if you like the second side of My War but skip Family Man and go straight to Slip It In for now. If not, start listening to other 80s Hardcore.

Thanks so much, I'll definitely get those three releases first. Do you have any other 80s Hardcore recommendations?

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Thanks so much, I'll definitely get those three releases first. Do you have any other 80s Hardcore recommendations?

Minor Threat, SSD, FEAR, Bad Brains, The Germs, TSOL, Husker Du, Youth Brigade, Wasted Youth, Dr. Know, Reagan Youth, Kraut.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

Minutemen!

This Ain't No Picnic
Jesus & Tequila

Double Nickels on the Dime is one of the finest albums to come out of the 80's, hardcore or otherwise.

Consider the fierceness of the two songs above, and then these, which appeared on the same album:

History Lesson, Pt II
Cohesion

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 10, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also check out Void, the Faith, and if you like Minor Threat you should definitely get to Fugazi at some point (though they aren't hardcore), Government Issue, Negative FX. Definitely do what me your dad said: Double Nickels, while ridiculously intimidating at first, is one of the greatest albums ever.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

LtTennisBall posted:

Also check out Void, the Faith, and if you like Minor Threat you should definitely get to Fugazi at some point (though they aren't hardcore), Government Issue, Negative FX. Definitely do what me your dad said: Double Nickels, while ridiculously intimidating at first, is one of the greatest albums ever.

Plus Mike Watt owns.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Also related - The Minutemen documentary "We Jam Econo", is on Netflix instant watch, and it's a great film.

RIP D Boon :cry:

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Polegrinder posted:

Plus Mike Watt owns.

this. especially this.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Cro-Mags, Deep Wound, Negative Approach, Big Boys, MDC, Really Red, The Meatmen, Angry Samoans, Circle Jerks, Necros, Poison Idea, Crucifucks, the This Is Boston Not LA compilation

Maybe try New York Hardcore and Youth Crew stuff? I don't know, I don't like a lot of that stuff anymore but Judge will always be great. Youth Of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Chain Of Strength, Bold, etc.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wow, thanks for the amazing recommendations guys.

I'm already way in to Husker Du, Bad Brains and Fugazi, but basically everything else posted is new to me.

The Minutemen seems to be the one people are posting the most, so I'll probably start there.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
If you can get the Embrace album (Ian MacKaye with 3/4 of the Faith), it's like the missing link between Minor Threat and Fugazi.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Moe_Rahn posted:

If you can get the Embrace album (Ian MacKaye with 3/4 of the Faith), it's like the missing link between Minor Threat and Fugazi.

and if you check out Embrace you should check out Rites of Spring, and if you like them you should listen to The Nation of Ulysses and...I think you're gonna have enough bands to last forever.

e: now that I think about it, with the amount of Dischord bands we've listed, it might be in your favor to just pick up Flex Your Head and possibly the 20 Years of Dischord compilation.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 11, 2011

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Echo and the Bunnymen?

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Ocean Rain.

Edit:

My opinion: it's their best album and if you don't like it you may as well stop there.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 12, 2011

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

Ocean Rain.

What this dude said, plus their first two, Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here, as well.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Jesus Lizard

I've heard a few of their songs like Nub, Mouthbreather, Boilermaker, and If You Had Lips. Should I just start at the beginning or is there like 1-2 must haves?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Polegrinder posted:

Jesus Lizard

I've heard a few of their songs like Nub, Mouthbreather, Boilermaker, and If You Had Lips. Should I just start at the beginning or is there like 1-2 must haves?

Goat probably.

How about Bauhaus?

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

Polegrinder posted:

Jesus Lizard

Goat definitely.

Where do I start with the Cheater Slicks? The Intelligence? also i still need some help with Whitehouse :(

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Slayer?

I've been listening to metal for the last 10 years but I've somehow never really gotten into Slayer. The only two songs I can name are Angel of Death and Raining Blood. Where do I go?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kumbamontu posted:

Slayer?

I've been listening to metal for the last 10 years but I've somehow never really gotten into Slayer. The only two songs I can name are Angel of Death and Raining Blood. Where do I go?

Those are both off Reign in Blood, which is pretty much the essential Slayer album.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Bathtub Cheese posted:

How about Bauhaus?

Just go chronologically and ignore the reunion album that came out a few years ago.

nadabolt posted:

Where do I start with the Cheater Slicks? The Intelligence?

For Cheater Slicks, start with Don't Like You. All the stuff on In The Red/Crypt is solid. For The Intelligence start with Males, the production is cleaned up and the songwriting and hooks really shine. Their two releases from 2009, Fake Surfers and Crepescule With Pacman are both excellent as well.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Those are both off Reign in Blood, which is pretty much the essential Slayer album.

From there, skip ahead two records, not one, and check the Seasons in the Abyss LP. From there, spread out as necessary. Skip any record that does not have Dave Lombardo on it.

...okay, maybe not EVERY record without Lombo. I liked "Bloodline" okay (I forget what record that was on.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Allen Wren posted:

From there, skip ahead two records, not one, and check the Seasons in the Abyss LP.

This is an awesome album, but the name always makes me sing to myself "We had joy, we had bliss/We had seasons in th'abyss."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Goddammit, now I can't unhear it.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Kumbamontu posted:

Slayer?

These are all classic:

Show No Mercy (1983)
Hell Awaits (1985)
Reign in Blood (1986)
South of Heaven (1988)
Seasons in the Abyss (1990)

The rest are, well, more or less skippable.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
How about Kraftwerk? Trans-Europe Express seems like the go to by all accounts but what are the other essentials?

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

screaden posted:

How about Kraftwerk? Trans-Europe Express seems like the go to by all accounts but what are the other essentials?

Trans-Europe Express is definitely their best album and probably the best starting point. Otherwise, everything they released up to Computer World is certainly worth a listen, with that album and Autobahn in particular being probably the next albums of theirs to look into. Post-Computer World, Tour de France is nice and worth a listen, while The Mix is decent but inessential (though somewhat interesting) and Electric Cafe/Techno Pop is just loving terrible and should be skipped outright (apart from "Telephone Line" and "House Phone," with the latter only appearing on the recent reissue of the album).

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

screaden posted:

Really, Kraftwerk did no wrong from Autobahn to Tour De France Soundtracks, though Electric Cafe gets a lot of flak because it doesn't really bring anything new to the table and the production's quite typically 80's. It's not without its charms though. If you liked Trans-Europe Express, i'd recommend this order...

The Man Machine, Computer World, Radioactivity, Autobahn, Tour De France Soundtracks then Electric Cafe if you're still interested.

The title track from Autobahn is absolutely essential but the rest of the album tends to slip into their sound experiments of their first three out-of-print albums. It's fine but it's not the Kraftwerk on display on Trans-Europe Express. They still had a lot of streamlining to do.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Genius and Biscuit are both on the money so I won't contradict them, but I'd suggest, even if you have to get a tape of it from a friend, tracking down their third album, "Ralf und Florian." I found it on LP at a Half-Price Books some time ago, as a total luck thing---the guy working the counter remarked that he'd just put it on the shelf about five minutes prior and figured someone would snag it immediately. Dude was also from Dusseldorf originally, so. But anyway, yeah, there's a lot of sound experiments going on on the record, but it's not cold and clanking like the stuff on the back half of the first NEU! record, the sound is absolutely lush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg7hPeUdvE holy crap vintage news footage of the group

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

nadabolt posted:

Goat definitely.

Where do I start with the Cheater Slicks? The Intelligence? also i still need some help with Whitehouse :(
I definitely haven't heard their whole discography or anything, but Refried Dreams is so sludgy and great.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Allen Wren posted:

From there, skip ahead two records, not one, and check the Seasons in the Abyss LP. From there, spread out as necessary. Skip any record that does not have Dave Lombardo on it.

...okay, maybe not EVERY record without Lombo. I liked "Bloodline" okay (I forget what record that was on.)

DEAR RICHARD posted:

These are all classic:

Show No Mercy (1983)
Hell Awaits (1985)
Reign in Blood (1986)
South of Heaven (1988)
Seasons in the Abyss (1990)

The rest are, well, more or less skippable.

Anyone that tells you to skip Diabolus in Musica and God Hates Us All is not your friend and wants you to be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fail-Bot
Jun 27, 2008

run:cakemaker.exe
processing...
ERROR

Willie The Disk posted:

Mmm, I like what I've heard of Vivaldi and Chopin... usually listen to the latter while studying. And I like Requiem by Mozart, but I should listen to it more. I have a bunch of Bach and Beethoven, but have no clue where to start. I also hear Stravinsky's worth looking into... I think he was revered both by Frank Zappa and Tom Waits.

And Stravinsky is revered for good reason! Arguably his most famous composition, The Rite Of Spring, was met with rioting during its first performance because of its depiction of pagan dance in the setting of a ballet. You can watch the whole thing on youtube, but it's more often done with the music alone as a suite rather than the ballet itself. Still amazing, though. I would also recommend The Firebird Suite and Symphony of Psalms.

For Mozart I can recommend The Magic Flute, The Marriage of Figaro, Symphony 40 in G minor, and Symphony 31 in D major. It's all good, really.

In general then, I would suggest Debussy's Piano Preludes, the Bach Goldberg Variations, Beethoven's 5th, 9th, and 6th Symphonies, and Schubert's Death of the Maiden quartet.