Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Pandanaut posted:

It's the story mode written by some dude. It's about a made up character named Andre Bishop.

I want to stress if anyone takes the plunge: the final boss is utter and complete bullshit. Worst boss I have ever encountered. Ever.

E: Maybe not ever but off the top of my head and in recent memory. Terrible, awful fight.

If you're really into Fight Night, it's not that bad. Bullshit, but doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

blackguy32 posted:

The port was fine unless I am missing something. Someone want to shed some light for me about what is so bad about Backbone?

To be fair, I haven't played their X-Men port, so they might be better with the Arcade stuff, but all their Mega Drive stuff has been really bad. Sound issues, laggy controls, and for their individual PSN releases they replace the title screens with their own bland splash screens, which stop you from accessing cheats or whatever on some games (no level select in Sonic 1, can only save using save states in Sonic 3 for example).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

blackguy32 posted:

The port was fine unless I am missing something. Someone want to shed some light for me about what is so bad about Backbone?

They just don't have a good track record, is all. They are responsible for several lazy ports and X-Men happens to be one of the few gems.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've never played a Backbone "classic game" (see: all the standalone Sega Genesis games) that didn't have massive input lag for Player 2. Like borderline unplayable.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Didn't they do the SSFII Turbo HD remake? I thought that was supposed to be pretty good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just played the Rayman demo and now I want to give Ubisoft my money. All of my money.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Didn't they do the SSFII Turbo HD remake? I thought that was supposed to be pretty good.
They did, it is. They also did Marvel vs Capcom 2 on PSN/XBLA, as well as 1942: Joint Strike. They also did the SOTN port for 360. I've enjoyed everything I've played of theirs. I didn't find a problem with the Sonic Genesis Collection (disc). Do the digital versions have that lame new title screen?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I just got kicked from a domination map in MAG ten minutes in and I have no idea why. :(

At the start of the game I waited to see if anyone else wanted the bunker turret (defending the burnoff towers), but it was left empty so I took it. I scored a bunch of kills and no team kills. Not really sure what happened, but it certainly sucks since that's probably the best performance I've had in the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

I've never played a Backbone "classic game" (see: all the standalone Sega Genesis games) that didn't have massive input lag for Player 2. Like borderline unplayable.
Weird, why just player 2?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Agrias120 posted:

They just don't have a good track record, is all. They are responsible for several lazy ports and X-Men happens to be one of the few gems.

Hmm. You might be right. I have only played Sonic's Ultimate Sega Genesis collection, Xmen, SF2, and MvC 2 from them, but all of them play fine to me. I haven't played any of the stand alone games.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So. Hydrophobia: Prophecy. Anybody tried it out yet? I'm curious, this is supposed to be the "good" version of the game.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Speedball posted:

So. Hydrophobia: Prophecy. Anybody tried it out yet? I'm curious, this is supposed to be the "good" version of the game.

I've beaten it and it really wasn't very good. The water is wonderful and should be used even more, but the whole thing is dragged down by lovely and tacked on shooting mechanics. I don't regret shelling out the like 6,5 € it costs on the EU PSN, though, it's an alright couple of hours to waste looking at some pretty water effects.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

If you're really into Fight Night, it's not that bad. Bullshit, but doable.

I love the series but the fact that you literally had to follow a step-by-step and couldn't damage or go after him really all the while he could destroy you with one combination was complete bullshit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow. So, uh, is the natural progression of thoughts when booting up God Hand supposed to go "Wow, this looks terrible" to "Okay I'm getting the hang of it" to "SWEEEET!" ?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Speedball posted:

Wow. So, uh, is the natural progression of thoughts when booting up God Hand supposed to go "Wow, this looks terrible" to "Okay I'm getting the hang of it" to "SWEEEET!" ?

Pretty much. Then on your first NG+, you start off with all your moves taken away. Then you realize you're kicking rear end on the first stage that gave you so much trouble on your first time through, and it's at that moment that it sinks in that you didn't even NEED all those fancy moves, you're just THAT good now.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Speedball posted:

This happened for me in literally 30 seconds. Such an great action game :3:

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011

Speedball posted:

I only played through the first act, but the platforming feels really bad (jumping is more like lurching forward then dropping like a brick), and every room looks the same.

Nice water though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

I just played the Rayman demo and now I want to give Ubisoft my money. All of my money.

I'm afraid to play it because Saint's Row 3 and Mario 3DS come out like the same day, with Zelda the week after and I REALLY don't need another game.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Welp, Rayman Origins is going to be a day 1 purchase for me. This ought to satisfy my platforming urges. LBP's floatiness just doesn't cut it, and downloading custom levels takes forever. They really ought to implement some sort of download queue.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
And more classics confirmed for PS3:

Jak and Daxter Collection rated in Germany, Sony rep confirms collection.

Jignx
Feb 17, 2006
~♥Bringer of Light♥~
Christmas is coming and I'm compiling a list of games I'm looking to buy and has narrowed it down to these couple of games. Games not listed here are games I either have no interest in or I already own.

Interested:
Saints Row The Third
LA Noire
Vanquish
Alice Madness Returns
Singularity
Catherine
Resistance 3
Killzone 3

Maybe interested:
Little Big Planet 2
Mortal Kombat Game PS3
God of War Collection Volume 2 II
Bulletstorm
Dead Rising 2 Off The Record
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
WET
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
The Sly Trilogy Collection
Sonic Generations
Lost Planet 2
El Shaddai Ascension Of The Metatron
Enslaved Odyssey To The West

Accessories:
Dual Shock 3

Finished but want to buy for collection:
Dead Space 2
Dead Space
Assassins Creed
Deus Ex Human Revolution Limited Edition

So what do you suggest? A manageable list of 5 to 10 games should last me for quite a while.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just sayin'...
I tried the Rayman demo, having had no invested interest in this at all... nor having followed it at all. THAT GAME IS loving LUSH!

I kinda want it now.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yechezkel posted:

And more classics confirmed for PS3:

Jak and Daxter Collection rated in Germany, Sony rep confirms collection.

This is awesome, can't wait to play this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man...there are literally four games I want coming out this week, and Skyrim isn't even one of them. This has been quite a year.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Remember Kingdom Under Fire 2? That big multi-million dollar Korean Action RPG / RTS with MMO elements that's been in development for about 6 years now?

Well Blue Side remembered that at some point they'll have to meet their expected 2013 release date and decided to remind everyone their game exists with a 7 minute long in-game trailer featuring a new character, the MMO town thing (that's kinda creepy), and a large heaping of action footage. No RTS gameplay because that's not trailer friendly, but plenty of giant armies clashing together as a result of it though.

It'd be nice if this game actually came out at some point before the PS3 is over, you know?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Policenaut posted:

Remember Kingdom Under Fire 2? That big multi-million dollar Korean Action RPG / RTS with MMO elements that's been in development for about 6 years now?

Well Blue Side remembered that at some point they'll have to meet their expected 2013 release date and decided to remind everyone their game exists with a 7 minute long in-game trailer featuring a new character, the MMO town thing (that's kinda creepy), and a large heaping of action footage. No RTS gameplay because that's not trailer friendly, but plenty of giant armies clashing together as a result of it though.

It'd be nice if this game actually came out at some point before the PS3 is over, you know?

I like how they obviously spent more time on animating bouncing boobs than proper lip syncing... Other than that it looks alright, I guess. I might've been interested if it weren't Korean and doomed to be a boring slugfest.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I've seen some bits of gameplay from the current closed beta test they're running - it's still Kingdom Under Fire. Aside from a more PC-esque UI, it does seem to be the same blend of commanding armies and stabbing fools.

Currently, it's the most high-budget game in Korean history. Kinda shows, too.

Renoistic posted:

I might've been interested if it weren't Korean and doomed to be a boring slugfest.

Yes, because the original games on the Xbox weren't Korean as well, and therefore the next one will be terrible.

Oh, wait, they were Korean and they were two of the best loving games on the system.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah Kingdom Under Fire 2 looks amazing but I'm trying not to get too excited because it simply has to run like rear end on consoles right? Secondly while I know they said it will come to PS3 I'm still kinda doubtful whether it actually will.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For those wondering, Skyrim is pretty cool, although ive only put in an hour so far.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I've seen some bits of gameplay from the current closed beta test they're running - it's still Kingdom Under Fire. Aside from a more PC-esque UI, it does seem to be the same blend of commanding armies and stabbing fools.

Do you have any links? I'd like to see how the KUF formula survived post-Circle of Doom (gently caress that game)

drat it I just want this game to exist on my PS3 already.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Do you have any links? I'd like to see how the KUF formula survived post-Circle of Doom (gently caress that game)

A year-old gameplay video here. It really does just look like a modern version of the Xbox KuF games, just with more units running around.

I think Circle of Doom was done by a seperate studio, and was just a small, comparatively low-budget spinoff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not to be a broken record, but you all really need to try that Rayman Origins demo. It is amazing in ways that I just wasn't expecting.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I really am looking forward to that Rayman game. I"ve only played Rayman 1 (not 2 or 3) so did surprise me a bit that Rayman could swim. My reaction was Holy poo poo, no more super sonic drowning skills?! Then the pessimistic side said oh great, water levels. They are going to be bor-*plays water level* okay this drat awesome. What made it great was that Rayman can swim fast. Also love how the little fireflies were singing it made it more great.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

God Hand is so strange. Its flaws are so glaring and yet I can't not have fun with it anyway as I perfect how to beat the crap out of guys.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Speedball posted:

God Hand is so strange. Its flaws are so glaring and yet I can't not have fun with it anyway as I perfect how to beat the crap out of guys.

It's really a game that needed a sequel or at least a spiritual successor. If they fine tuned and fixed some things you could have a really solid game.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah Kingdom Under Fire 2 looks amazing but I'm trying not to get too excited because it simply has to run like rear end on consoles right? Secondly while I know they said it will come to PS3 I'm still kinda doubtful whether it actually will.

The first two games looked pretty good and ran very well considering the massive amount of poo poo that was going on. And they were on last gen hardware. I hope they find a way to make it work with the new one, they were some of favorite games. Very unappreciated.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Someone kind of, sort of, I guess spoiled the last boss fight for Assassin's Creed 2 in the Uncharted 3 thread. I owned and played that game two years ago when it came out but never finished. The spoiler intrigued me to try it again so I picked up the greatest hits and started playing again last night. Knowing me I'm going to want to pick up Brotherhood as well. Kind of neat that Revelations is coming out next week, too.

It's funny because I played AC2 after Uncharted 2 and now I'm playing it again after Uncharted 3 and it's jarring to hear the same voice actor for both characters. The whole beginning sequence is loving miserable and a terrible way to introduce someone to a game. Once you start playing as Ezio it turns around a bit. I still wonder why they chose that sequence to start the game off.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Speedball posted:

It was a low-budget game made on a recycled engine (same as Resident Evil 4) by a relatively small team. And it's pretty clear that they had a great time making it - it wasn't a big corporate project. It was a 'We've got a game we really want to make' sorta deal. And they made it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

Someone kind of, sort of, I guess spoiled the last boss fight for Assassin's Creed 2 in the Uncharted 3 thread. I owned and played that game two years ago when it came out but never finished. The spoiler intrigued me to try it again so I picked up the greatest hits and started playing again last night. Knowing me I'm going to want to pick up Brotherhood as well. Kind of neat that Revelations is coming out next week, too.

It's funny because I played AC2 after Uncharted 2 and now I'm playing it again after Uncharted 3 and it's jarring to hear the same voice actor for both characters. The whole beginning sequence is loving miserable and a terrible way to introduce someone to a game. Once you start playing as Ezio it turns around a bit. I still wonder why they chose that sequence to start the game off.
Nolan North is in like, everything though. And he's actually really talented and has a really wide range, he's the Penguin in Arkham City and all of the Personality Spheres at the end of Portal 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pablo Gigante posted:

Nolan North is in like, everything though. And he's actually really talented and has a really wide range, he's the Penguin in Arkham City and all of the Personality Spheres at the end of Portal 2

He's also Sigmund in Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, and Deadpool in Marvel vs Capcom 3.

• Locked thread