Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFM
Jan 16, 2004
It ain't a romance novel until you describe a white girl as "alabaster" in some way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
PROPOSAL: goon erotic anthology.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

vseslav.botkin posted:

Result: The Neovella thread.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

vseslav.botkin posted:

Naked Came the Stranger: Goon Edition. I like it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
There's a thread in trad games about the game business. I made a post that I think would be useful here. It's geared towards print but whatevs

well I can talk about that since I'm a small publisher - (BUY MY BOOK http://www.zombiesoftheworld.com/the-book/ Kenneth Hite liked it!)

Distribution is a racket - almost all book stores use one of a few major distributors to carry their poo poo. Zombies of the World uses Partners Distribution right now http://partnerspublishersgroup.com/ and they haven't charged me for signing up (but they have for shipping books to them) and I'm not sure how they would handle other new publishers. They're smaller so you have contact them to see what kind of deal you can get with them.

Anyway, I contacted the Barnes & Noble small press division and sent them a copy of ZOTW. http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/for_authors/how_to_work_with_bn/how_to_work_with_bn.html

B&N accepted it and they use Partners distribution so they ordered copies from Partners.

I looked into Hastings and Books A Million but both they only use Ingram and Baker & Taylor.

Take a look at the Baker & Taylor Vendor application - from http://www.btol.com/pdfs/EstRelationship.pdf

quote:

STANDARD PROGRAM – $125.00*
Your title(s) will be listed on our database as available for order to our customers.
§ Title(s) will be purchased initially to fulfill our customer backorders only. Your title(s) will not be stocked
until consistent demand is established.

*This is one time, non-refundable set up fee to have all your titles listed with us.

PREMIUM PROGRAM - $350.00*
Includes the same benefits as the Standard Program above as well as:
§ Advertising for paid title(s)* in one of Baker & Taylor’s nationally circulated catalogs. A one-time super
annotation featuring your book description and jacket art, provided by the publisher, will appear in one of our
catalogs. We will support the placement of your superannotation with a minimum inventory purchase to be
determined upon acceptance.

*$350 is for one advertised title and includes a one time, no-refundablee set up fee. We will accept up to four
additional titles for super annotations if submitted at time of enrollment. The cost is $200 per additional title.
Titles can be no more than one (1) year past publication date to be considered.

PREMIUM PLUS PROGRAM - $450.00*
Includes the same benefits as the Standard and Premium Program above as well as:
§ One year subscription to Publisher Alley, an online tool for in-depth analysis of book sales through Baker &
Taylor which will include daily sales, demand, and inventory updates of your titles.

*$450 is for one advertised title plus Pub Alley subscription and includes a one time, non-refundable set up fee.
We will accept up to four additional titles for super annotations if submitted at time of enrollment. The cost is
$200 per additional title. Visit https://www.puballey.com for a features demonstration.

And this is only if they accept you. So you have to sell a lot of copies just to break even to the major chains.

You can market directly to libraries and book stores via the IBPA http://www.ibpa-online.org/

You sign up with them and then you can get in their regular marketing campaign - for example they will send a flier you supply to them to 4,000 libraries http://www.ibpa-online.org/programs/library.aspx but this costs in addition to the cost of printing and mailing the fliers to IBPA.

I haven't done that yet because I'm trying to finish up a ZOTW based novel so I can promote two books instead of one.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
That's a lot of information to absorb, but an excellent post.

I'm still at a loss as to how to deal with ISBN issues. Ie; I don't have the money for it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I spent some time looking around on Amazon reading reviews for self-published books tagged under "werewolves" since my book is close to done and it has, well, werewolves in it. I found some hilarious author tinkering going on. There were several books with glowingly positive, but flower as hell reviews that were too verbose and obviously the author and maybe their families.

Then the one star reviews came up. Reviews that turned into arguments between the reviewers and the authors and their cronies. Hilarious, hilarious arguments.

These were universally for books that were reviewed as having thin plots, bad dialogue, and lousy characterization. The reviews were probably spot on and the author just confirmed it by trying to defend themselves.

What I'm saying is that you should never do this.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Geekboy posted:

I spent some time looking around on Amazon reading reviews for self-published books tagged under "werewolves" since my book is close to done and it has, well, werewolves in it. I found some hilarious author tinkering going on. There were several books with glowingly positive, but flower as hell reviews that were too verbose and obviously the author and maybe their families.

Then the one star reviews came up. Reviews that turned into arguments between the reviewers and the authors and their cronies. Hilarious, hilarious arguments.

These were universally for books that were reviewed as having thin plots, bad dialogue, and lousy characterization. The reviews were probably spot on and the author just confirmed it by trying to defend themselves.

What I'm saying is that you should never do this.

Yeah I've seen a lot of this as well. I'm doing some research on self-publishing metrics as a sideline to writing a NaNoWriMo project, and an amazingly large minority of self published books on Amazon have great reviews that are suspiciously similar to the authors sample or are obviously friends/family. I can't find it now but one 5 star review even mentioned what an awesome guy the author is.

Nothing but bad reviews can't help but obvious shill reviews are just as bad.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
On the one hand, no matter how I end up getting this thing published when I'm done with it I would be awfully tempted to have my more literate friends and family members throw up reviews just so that I have something to get me started, but seeing these things on Amazon makes me realize just how bad an idea that is.

Maybe a few of my friends who are honest and can actually form words into sentences that make sense, but even then I'd feel the need to throw up a comment acknowledging that I knew the person. Of course, someone like my mother is right out and probably should never be allowed to read the reviews since she tends to be defensive.

Maybe I can manage to enter an alternate reality or create some sort of fantasy land where someone like Neil Gaiman is my friend and he can write a blurb about loving it and I can be all, "Hey, folks. Take this with a grain of salt because this here is MY FRIEND WHO I KNOW IN REAL LIFE. :smug: "

Of course, I don't actually know him and I have no illusions about my writing being that good, so . . .

Either way, writing your own reviews in a distinct voice that WOOPS just happens to match the voice you write in for your book makes it pretty obvious. Especially when that voice is overly flowery and has bad grammar.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I wonder... what if, in every book you published, you said something saying that people buy based on reviews, yet people never write reviews... so to encourage your readers who made it all the way to the end of the book, you'll give a free copy of your next book to a random reviewer, good or bad?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

tarepanda posted:

I wonder... what if, in every book you published, you said something saying that people buy based on reviews, yet people never write reviews... so to encourage your readers who made it all the way to the end of the book, you'll give a free copy of your next book to a random reviewer, good or bad?

That's not a bad theory, I don't see how it could hurt you to suggest it at the end.

Though if someone hated your writing, I can't imagine they'd want to read more of what you'd wrote.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Roar posted:

That's not a bad theory, I don't see how it could hurt you to suggest it at the end.

I was thinking of the little PBS voiceovers saying that the shows were funded by "viewers like you," but I guess I'm most worried about Amazon deciding that it's a violation of the TOS or something.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well, finally went live on Amazon and Smashwords today!

Trials By Fire - Richard Hein

http://www.amazon.com/Trials-Fire-Divine-Order-ebook/dp/B00676KQBE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1321218732&sr=8-5

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/104696

Hot drat it's been a long time coming.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I've seen a lot of this as well. I'm doing some research on self-publishing metrics as a sideline to writing a NaNoWriMo project, and an amazingly large minority of self published books on Amazon have great reviews that are suspiciously similar to the authors sample or are obviously friends/family. I can't find it now but one 5 star review even mentioned what an awesome guy the author is.

Nothing but bad reviews can't help but obvious shill reviews are just as bad.

Yes, I've seen some authors that I like and respect write up reviews for their own books. I just face palm. Isn't it common sense that you do not do that? I'm already pretty embarrassed that my mother insisted on reviewing my story and refuses to remove her review (I may put pressure at Thanksgiving).

Thanks that info, ClockWorkJoe. I'm looking to turn my pub company into a small press at some point, so that's some great, great stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Was this available for pre order? I could have sworn I saw it before somewhere...

I spent an unholy amount of time browsing through amazon's kindle section last week though, so that might be it.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.
Congrats, Mortanis! Who did your cover?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Was this available for pre order? I could have sworn I saw it before somewhere...

I spent an unholy amount of time browsing through amazon's kindle section last week though, so that might be it.

I saw it first on the selfpublish part of reddit, so maybe there?

I also interviewed our very own Ross Payton (clockworkjoe) on my blog. I think it's a great read, but I may be biased.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
My book cover was done Kristi @ http://www.kristikirisberg.com

So very crazy to look at Amazon and see my work there.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Are you all typing your manuscripts in Word and then converting to other formats? What do you use to convert from Word? I tried to follow a guide I saw on using styles rather than local italics, but when I converted my manuscript it stripped all my styles. This was with Mobi Pocket Creator.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Mortanis posted:

My book cover was done Kristi @ http://www.kristikirisberg.com

So very crazy to look at Amazon and see my work there.

Wow, really digging her work. It's the kind of vibe that I want to pursue for some of my stuff. Was the price reasonable?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
The cover and the rights set me back 600$. I'm more than happy with that, and went in looking for a high-quality artist, so for me it was reasonable. Based on a few other artists I queried (for lower quality work no less), I find the money well spent.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Holy moly, yeah that's a little out of my price range at the moment, but I agree that it's worth it. Maybe someday.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

The cover artist for Zombies of the World is Ean Moody http://moodyillustrator.com/

His prices vary based on what you want, but you can definitely get a lower price than $600. Just throwing that out there :)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Literally just saw this on metafiter: http://www.metafilter.com/109443/From-IDEA-to-SOCIAL-MEDIA

A bunch of videos/links about the lifecycle of a book.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

clockworkjoe posted:

The cover artist for Zombies of the World is Ean Moody http://moodyillustrator.com/

His prices vary based on what you want, but you can definitely get a lower price than $600. Just throwing that out there :)

Thanks, bookrmarked him. I have a pretty good working relationship with a good cover artist now, but it never hurts to have options.

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
Hi again, been a few weeks but my newest very odd childrens style book is out!

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/2139373/e7c7bdd9642fc3f86be5201c8431a167ccb713cb?ce=blurb_ew&utm_source=widget

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
So this is a big deal:

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/11/2011/penguin-launches-a-self-publishing-service/

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
It's a big deal that Penguin is the one doing it or that someone is doing it? It seems like bad business for the author unless you're just lazy. You're giving up a percentage of sales on top of a flat fee. Why not pay the flat fee somewhere else and keep your full 70%? Are formatting and a cover really worth losing royalties forever?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm horribly unimpressed. Penguin's BookCountry doesn't seem to have that much oomph behind it in the first place, and you get hit with multiple levels of fees / royalty cuts from the various channels on top of Penguin.

What, if anything, is the author getting out of this that they couldn't figure out on their own if they spent 15 minutes on Google? Is Penguin putting any kind of marketing oomph behind your book? I highly doubt it; for that much effort, they'd just traditionally publish you instead. You're not getting access to extra distribution networks, not getting an artist, not getting any marketing assistance... what exactly are you paying for?

quote:

Are formatting and a cover really worth losing royalties forever?

It doesn't even say that you get a cover. You get access to a cover creator.

Edit: http://bookcountry.com/CMSContent/Templates/Marketing.aspx?pageid=120483

^^^ Fee lists.

quote:

Professional Print and eBook: $549

Let us do the work for you! When you choose the Professional option, Book Country formatters will transform your raw manuscript file (.doc, .docx, .rtf, or .txt files accepted) into polished print and ePub files. Choose from six different elegant interior styles designed specifically for genre fiction.

User-formatted Print and eBook: $299

Are you more the hands-on type? This option provides you with all the tools and services you need to format a professional-looking interior file. Your Publishing Kit includes a special Book Country interior template designed to work for both print and eBook, instructions for preparing your manuscript and front matter for production, a checklist to keep you on track, cover design tips and recommendations, and ideas for marketing your book after it has been published. This option requires Microsoft Word version 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, or 2010.

User-formatted eBook Only: $99

For this special introductory price, you'll receive exactly the same tools and services as above, except you won't be creating a print book. This option requires Microsoft Word version 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, or 2010.

Your Publishing Kit posted:

The Professional Publishing Kit includes:

Printable Self-publishing Checklist
Interior Design Style Options and Descriptions
Interior Design Samples
Book Country Standard Front Matter Diagram
Guide to Book Elements and Industry Standards
Online Marketing Guide

The User-formatted Publishing Kit includes:

Printable Self-publishing Checklist
Interior Design Template File*
Start-up Document*
Book Country Standard Front Matter Diagram
Interior Design Element Guide
Formatting & Styling Guide
Cover Design Tips and Recommendations
Online Marketing Guide

* These files are compatible only with Microsoft Word versions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, or 2010. You will receive all versions of the Template and Start-up Document in your User-formatted Publishing Kit.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 16, 2011

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Humbaba posted:

It's a big deal that Penguin is the one doing it or that someone is doing it? It seems like bad business for the author unless you're just lazy. You're giving up a percentage of sales on top of a flat fee. Why not pay the flat fee somewhere else and keep your full 70%? Are formatting and a cover really worth losing royalties forever?

To be clear, it's a big deal that Penguin is doing it. And while I think it's a terrible program and no one should use it, it's probably the best deal I've seen from a traditional publisher.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.

vseslav.botkin posted:

it's a terrible program and no one should use it

Agreed. It is interesting that Penguin's trying (feebly) to get into the game, but they're gonna fail hard. That, or be successful by finding gullible self-pubbers who don't know what they're doing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The biggest thing I wonder is why now? They're ridiculously late to the game, and they think they're going to break into Amazon's self-pub market with a horrible, sub-par program?

Even if it's the best a traditional publisher has put together so far, the only advantage I can see is the $6.00 manufacturing fee per copy for print books being slightly better than what the average CreateSpace or Lulu paperback charges for PoD. Everything else is not only terrible, but several years behind the other self-pub players.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

They're dinosaurs. Slow to change, slow to realize potential. They've probably felt threatened for a while. It just took them this long to get something (crappy) together.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
Jesus sweet Jurassic Christ, are you kidding me?

That's just loving terrible.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
That penguin deal is a complete and utter ripoff, for 549 dollars, I should also get a thorough proofreading and a cover, at the minimum. Still, if Penugin did offer that, it would make their traditionally publishing arm completely pointless, which it is well one its way to being anyways.
---
In other news, my twitter feed as of this writing is currently up to 7307 and will be most likely hundreds higher when you get around to clicking.
All those followers are finally starting to pay off, as I'm currently average one a day sold so far in November. As of this writing, I've sold seventeen books over sixteen days.People are starting to love A Clear and Feathered Danger, so What Lies Within, the sequel, makes up six of those sold.
Edit: Help me out and enjoy a good book!

Roshi fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 17, 2011

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Roshi posted:

That penguin deal is a complete and utter ripoff, for 549 dollars, I should also get a thorough proofreading and a cover, at the minimum. Still, if Penugin did offer that, it would make their traditionally publishing arm completely pointless, which it is well one its way to being anyways.
---
In other news, my twitter feed as of this writing is currently up to 7307 and will be most likely hundreds higher when you get around to clicking.
All those followers are finally starting to pay off, as I'm currently average one a day sold so far in November. As of this writing, I've sold seventeen books over sixteen days.People are starting to love A Clear and Feathered Danger, so What Lies Within, the sequel, makes up six of those sold.
Edit: Help me out and enjoy a good book!

what are you doing to market yourself on twitter?

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

clockworkjoe posted:

what are you doing to market yourself on twitter?
Rant, rave, go on tangents about random crap and bug people to buy my stuff, which works surprisingly enough. I also have the usual series of links referring back to my blog and buy links. My story about Tampons for Ogres got a bunch of hits and a few sales from it. I'm using Tweet Adder but I wouldn't have got the explosive growth of my feed(more than doubled in October from 2 to 5k, took 8 days to go from 5 to 6k, 7 days from 6 to 7) if people didn't find my feed extremely entertaining. My feed would be even larger, but I'm no longer following back, so I get lots of unfollows. With twitter, you really need quality followers, Quantity gets you nothing.(another popular post about #teamfollowback)

---
I'm almost done with the fourth K23 novella's first draft and could finish it in a day of solid writing if I put in the effort, but am waiting for the sales to continue of existing. But I'm going to put out a print version of the compilation and I'm paying my goonette cover artist a lot for a good print cover. It'll come out in December.

CoffeeCat
Jul 21, 2010
Is anyone brave enough to talk about how well their book is selling?

Are people making any money?

CoffeeCat fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 19, 2011

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
I aint making poo poo, the blurb books are way too expensive. I wish I could sell physical copies for 99cents. Support independent artists!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Roshi posted:

Rant, rave, go on tangents about random crap and bug people to buy my stuff, which works surprisingly enough. I also have the usual series of links referring back to my blog and buy links. My story about Tampons for Ogres got a bunch of hits and a few sales from it. I'm using Tweet Adder but I wouldn't have got the explosive growth of my feed(more than doubled in October from 2 to 5k, took 8 days to go from 5 to 6k, 7 days from 6 to 7) if people didn't find my feed extremely entertaining. My feed would be even larger, but I'm no longer following back, so I get lots of unfollows. With twitter, you really need quality followers, Quantity gets you nothing.(another popular post about #teamfollowback)

---
I'm almost done with the fourth K23 novella's first draft and could finish it in a day of solid writing if I put in the effort, but am waiting for the sales to continue of existing. But I'm going to put out a print version of the compilation and I'm paying my goonette cover artist a lot for a good print cover. It'll come out in December.

How often do you send out promotional tweets vs content tweets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

clockworkjoe posted:

How often do you send out promotional tweets vs content tweets?

Content tweets are whenever I feel like, Promo-tweets are every 45 minutes when my computer is on, generally from 6-7am to 10-11pm.

• Locked thread