Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but was Elendel founded on the land where Sazed saved everyone and let them come out of those caves at the end of the Mistborn trilogy? Also, great catch about whom the Lord Mistborn was, it makes sense though with Spooks speech pattern showing up.

I was rather impressed with how Sanderson worked in the physics of allomancy into a more modern setting and was shocked how much a coinshot could do along with the ironmind feruchemy. I loved Vin and Elend but it was cool to see a POV with someone who didn't have all those powers and had to work with limitations.

Quick question about the ending though: Why do you think those women were kidnapped, was it like Wax and crew though, were they going to use them for breeding more allomancers? If so that's a very long term plan. I was thinking someone found out about hemalurgy and they were going to be used for that in some capacity.

Also, how the gently caress do you get koloss blood in you? I just shudder thinking about those pairings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

thecallahan posted:

Quick question about the ending though: Why do you think those women were kidnapped, was it like Wax and crew though, were they going to use them for breeding more allomancers? If so that's a very long term plan. I was thinking someone found out about hemalurgy and they were going to be used for that in some capacity.

I was assuming they were looking for atium mistings, or possibly mistings for one of the 16 unseen "god-alloys".

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I gotta say, he's made massive strides in humor in this book. It feels much less forced, like instead of trying to make me laugh out loud he's happy to get a genuine smile.

Oh, there's still been a time or maybe even two times where I wanted to cringe (I'm about halfway through now) but on the whole, I think he's finally starting to get it. And the rest of his writing is getting really good too, he's going from a writer with really interesting ideas whose prose was pretty rough at times, to a just plain excellent writer. Can't wait to read absolutely everything he ever writes, but I'm practically drooling over the modern times Mistborn and next Stormlight book.

Well, practice makes perfect, and if anyone is getting writing practice these days it's definitely him. The machine keeps on rolling...

I mean really, after dealing with GRRM and his glacial pace, watching Sanderson say 10% a week progress on a WOT sized book is just plain :aaaaa:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

senae posted:

I was assuming they were looking for atium mistings, or possibly mistings for one of the 16 unseen "god-alloys".

Either that or something nasty involving hemalurgy.

Also the Glossary at the end said there were two God metals. The first is pretty obvious, but what would the second be? Those mist balls that make people in mistborn that Elend ate maybe?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

keiran_helcyan posted:

Either that or something nasty involving hemalurgy.

Also the Glossary at the end said there were two God metals. The first is pretty obvious, but what would the second be? Those mist balls that make people in mistborn that Elend ate maybe?

Yep. Official name's Lerasium, but I'm pretty sure that's never been mentioned anywhere outside of the Annotations and message board posts.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Okay speaking of Atium I have a silly question. There was this whole elaborate scheme to gather all the Atium in one place and hide it to deny Ruin power. But then in the end all they did was have allomancers burn the atium away. Why didn't they just do that originally? Like as soon as a piece of atium is mined, Lord Ruler burns it up. Or just do what Kelsier did: flare some Allomancy around and destroy the atium crystals underground. I never really understood that point.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

keiran_helcyan posted:

Okay speaking of Atium I have a silly question. There was this whole elaborate scheme to gather all the Atium in one place and hide it to deny Ruin power. But then in the end all they did was have allomancers burn the atium away. Why didn't they just do that originally? Like as soon as a piece of atium is mined, Lord Ruler burns it up. Or just do what Kelsier did: flare some Allomancy around and destroy the atium crystals underground. I never really understood that point.

Because the Lord Ruler A) Thought it was too useful to destroy entirely (both in terms of power and an artificial economy to keep the nobles in line) & B) Was half-insane from Ruin's whisperings.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

This was pretty great. Also, Wayne is a cartoon character and I love it. He's practically Bugs Bunny.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

NecroMonster posted:

This was pretty great. Also, Wayne is a cartoon character and I love it. He's practically Bugs Bunny.

Nah, he gets injured way too much. Try Daffy Duck.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

Because the Lord Ruler A) Thought it was too useful to destroy entirely (both in terms of power and an artificial economy to keep the nobles in line) & B) Was half-insane from Ruin's whisperings.

And because it presumably would grow back after it was burned, albeit a long time later. The stockpile meant that when the crunch time came it was all used without any gap in which it could come back.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nah, he gets injured way too much. Try Daffy Duck.

I was thinking more of the disguises, high speed blurred costume changes, and fast talking.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just finished Alloy of Law and I'd bet dollars to donuts that Wax's uncle was a kandra.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I just finished Alloy of Law and I'd bet dollars to donuts that Wax's uncle was a kandra.

But Kandra have a direct link to Sazed through their spikes, and I don't think he'd take kindly to the kind of poo poo he was doing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

But Kandra have a direct link to Sazed through their spikes, and I don't think he'd take kindly to the kind of poo poo he was doing.

According to the index, not all serve Harmony.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sazed also seems the type to really value free will though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Nice Parshendi

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

veekie posted:

Nice Parshendi

All the fan stuff for Brandon's works have been horrible, but this one is merely mediocre. Certainly not in the same league as that Mistborn movie trailer that had me in stitches.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

veekie posted:

Nice Parshendi

Craaaaaaaaaaaaab people

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Nice little bit of setting info discovered by a fan at a book singing: Apparently all the Pathist earrings the kandra are handing out are remade Inquisitor spikes, melted down and reforged after Vin went crazy and killed them all. Makes sense, considering how Harmony probably wouldn't want to kill anyone else just to get a hotline to his followers.

Of coruse, Sanderson refused to say what metal Wax's was made of, only that it contained a minor Hemalurgic charge. But considering the big comeback sequence in the climax, I'd have to guess Pewter (with the justification that being Ruin and Preservation AT THE SAME TIME allows someone with a Spike to still draw upon the mists.)

Nothing groundbreaking, just a minor theory confirmed so we don't have to wait a couple years for him to finish the Alloy annotations. And that last line was pure speculation on my part, of course.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you base it on anything other then a hunch?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

The glossary was a little confusing for me. Guess I need to read some Sanderson books other than Mistborn :ohdear:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Craaaaaaaaaaaaab people

The beards make them a bit like alternate dwarves.

I'm now going to put gemstones in the beards of all future dorf mental images!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was at his book signing tonight, and I was right! The "Worship Trell" thing Miles said was from the old religion that Sazed was telling Vin about in Mistborn. My theory is that Terrismen who know an old religion of Trell (since who else would know the old religions?) will spark a holy war, and have been studying nicrosil (the last metal, and the only one not yet explained) feruchemy in secret.. Just a guess, though.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Here's an interview with Sanderson talking about Alloy of Law, a nice little read. http://nethspace.blogspot.com/2011/11/interview-brandon-sanderson.html. I find it interesting that he'll most likely do a direct sequel to Alloy but he might also decide to address the ending in the eventual modern day Mistborn trilogy. I do like the idea of him doing a quick book like Alloy between his other releases in the Stormlight Archives.

thecallahan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 18, 2011

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer
I found another interview about Alloy of Law, this one includes an explanation about compounding which makes the whole thing make more sense.
http://www.openthefridge.net/blog/2011/11/18/interview-author-brandon-sanderson.html

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just finished Alloy of Law & enjoyed it. Just a bit sad that it seemed so short, after I devoured all these pages.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I couldn't help but think Wax would be really suited for a crossover adventure with Harry Dresden.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Just finished Alloy as well, and I have to say, I might have liked it the best out of all of Sanderson's stuff so far. Great pacing, great characters, fun action, wasn't trying to be too heavy or anything...Just a fantastic, quick read. Wish it were longer. Loved it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I've never even heard of Brandon Sanderson until I impulse bought Infinity Blade: Awakening a few weeks ago. I didn't like it very much at all. I explain my dissatisfaction at length here. I skimmed through this thread to see what other people thought of it, but no one else seems to have anything to say about it. People seem to be pretty psyched for his Mistborn stuff, but I just wanna know how well IB:A represents his capabilities. I might be willing to give him a second chance to impress me.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm about 75% through the first Mistborn book, and this poo poo is amazing. I love the characters, I love the style, I especially love the magic system and intrigue built into the world. This trilogy is going to be a treat, I can tell.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Capntastic posted:

I've never even heard of Brandon Sanderson until I impulse bought Infinity Blade: Awakening a few weeks ago. I didn't like it very much at all. I explain my dissatisfaction at length here. I skimmed through this thread to see what other people thought of it, but no one else seems to have anything to say about it. People seem to be pretty psyched for his Mistborn stuff, but I just wanna know how well IB:A represents his capabilities. I might be willing to give him a second chance to impress me.

Uh I haven't read it as I never played whatever game it's based on. I haven't seen much talk about it in the thread (and I've been here since it was first started).

Also you can read Warbreaker on his site for free, so try a few chapters of that and see if you enjoy it more.

(Not that you won't enjoy Mistborne if you dislike Warbreaker, but it's a free way to check if you enjoy his style of writing. The style between the two are similar, but Mistborne is definitely "flashier" with a bigger stage/world and better action/fights)

subx fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 22, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Finished Warbreaker last night. Not my favorite Sanderson book, but definitely a fun read, and the Sanderson Avalanche was a particularly dramatic change in pace after the rest of the book's careful maneuvering.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I liked Warbreaker quite a bit. I thought it was good, though not great. I think the Sanderson Avalanche might have been better than in most of his other books, though: The reveal of Lightsong's past and the girl he had been dreaming of, the revelation that the religion actually WAS right and they were sent back, and his healing of the god king all really hit hard for me - that little all gave me shivers. The statues reveal, however, was pretty weak and boring.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Mortanis posted:

I liked Warbreaker quite a bit. I thought it was good, though not great. I think the Sanderson Avalanche might have been better than in most of his other books, though: The reveal of Lightsong's past and the girl he had been dreaming of, the revelation that the religion actually WAS right and they were sent back, and his healing of the god king all really hit hard for me - that little all gave me shivers. The statues reveal, however, was pretty weak and boring.

I liked the statue reveal in that it was an interesting, logical use of the magic system and was a cool image; however, I agree that it was weak because it was just thrown out there to provide a neat ending to the story.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
The last section of Warbreaker, where the Sanderson Avalanche starts in full force, kept me feverishly turning pages for like an hour after I intended on going to bed. Brandon, my poor, mortal heart can't take so many wild twists and turns all at once! :gonk:

e: it also didn't help that Warbreaker was the first Sanderson novel I finished entirely after misplacing my copy of The Way of Kings for about a month after making it halfway through. Compared to the slow, methodical buildup of The Way of Kings and the first act and a half of Warbreaker, the last act of it was basically me doing this :suspense:

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 22, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I haven't started reading it yet, but there's a new Mistborn novella that will be available for free until Monday to promote the RPG (and, of course, the publisher just put everybody on the "to" line in the announcement e-mail instead of sending individual e-mails or BCCing people). I'm unclear as to whether Brandon actually wrote it, though.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=96935&affiliate_id=71282

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

I haven't started reading it yet, but there's a new Mistborn novella that will be available for free until Monday to promote the RPG (and, of course, the publisher just put everybody on the "to" line in the announcement e-mail instead of sending individual e-mails or BCCing people). I'm unclear as to whether Brandon actually wrote it, though.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=96935&affiliate_id=71282
From that page it looks like it's actually a collection of stories by different authors, despite the fact that they keep using the word "novella".

quote:

15 new stories set in the Mistborn universe by some of the hottest talent in gaming
Emphasis mine.

quote:

Author(s): Shivam Bhatt, Logan Bonner, David Hill, Will Hindmarch, Jeremy Keller, Filamena Young
If Brandon Sanderson were actually involved it would definitely say so.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 23, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mystes posted:

From that page it looks like it's actually a collection of stories by different authors, despite the fact that they keep using the word "novella".

Emphasis mine.

If Brandon Sanderson were actually involved it would definitely say so.

Ah, that would explain why it's kind of terrible so far.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I'm 100 pages into The Way of Kings and it's...ok.

Just ok. I don't really feel compelled to keep reading, I'm kind of bored with it.

Is it just not my type of book? Or is it just a slow starter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So I'm 100 pages into The Way of Kings and it's...ok.

Just ok. I don't really feel compelled to keep reading, I'm kind of bored with it.

Is it just not my type of book? Or is it just a slow starter?

Kaladin gets over the :smithicide: eventually, just stick with it, and keep in mind it's meant to be like 12 600-800 page books by the time it's over.