Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Is Chaos Storm any good? Although I'm actually considering levelling up just for the shortcut...

chunkles fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Guliani is HOT posted:

Is Chaos Storm any good? Although I'm actually considering levelling up just for the shortcut...

You'll need it for the all pyromancies achievement anyway, so you might as well grab it while you're there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So for my witchy character, should I just develop the magic and memory stat and leave almost everything else alone, or something else? For once I will NOT be dumping huge amounts of points into endurance, since ideally I will hardly be swinging a sword or blocking attacks at all.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

So for my witchy character, should I just develop the magic and memory stat and leave almost everything else alone, or something else? For once I will NOT be dumping huge amounts of points into endurance, since ideally I will hardly be swinging a sword or blocking attacks at all.

Rumor has it dexterity improves casting speed. So, that might be a good bet. Otherwise, resistance?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Sumadartson posted:

Rumor has it dexterity improves casting speed. So, that might be a good bet. Otherwise, resistance?

Not just rumour, it's been confirmed. Up to 45.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Jan posted:

Not just rumour, it's been confirmed. Up to 45.

Whoa... that changes my outlook on stats a bit.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Demtor posted:

Whoa... that changes my outlook on stats a bit.

The difference isn't that great, but I guess it could save your rear end a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX3nOHDhCA

Basically the difference is about half a second at 45 dex than 14 dex

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

invalid posted:

Anyone know if it works with other bosses? Some of the runs back are awful
I think this got skipped over, but it works on Bed of Chaos. Kill a side, reload. Kill a side, reload. Kill the center. That way you never need your back towards it.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

endlosnull posted:

The difference isn't that great, but I guess it could save your rear end a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX3nOHDhCA

Basically the difference is about half a second at 45 dex than 14 dex

Only for Pyromancies? Or does it apply to sorceries also?

e: Oh, just watched to the end. This may be the tipping point to focus on DEX from now on since I use sorceries. (Currently 20 STR and 20 DEX).

Sumixam fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 11, 2011

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Spiffo posted:

Yeah but if you bust through them and reach the necromancers, the necros themselves don't respawn. Once you kill them off that advantage disappears (and they're really weak)

This. Occult does more damage for faith scaling. Skeletons are only a problem in the Tomb of Giants but they stay dead there.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Dexterity affects cast speeds for offensive spells, not sure on the more utility type ones.

It seems to affect sorceries more than pyromancies, not sure how it compares on miracles but I know it works on them too.

SPELL__________14Dex___45Dex
Fireball_________1.26____1.12____88.9%
Combustion_____0.26____0.19____73.1%
Firestorm_______3.04____2.15____70.7%
Soul Arrow______2.11____1.22____57.8%

My brother figured this out from the video I think.

You'd be able to fit spells in openings you normally wouldn't as well as increasing dps.

Oh, you could also use a tower shield or the iron round shield to stagger enemies then shoot off a quick combustion for bonus damage during the stagger. I forget exactly what the bonus was, maybe 40%?

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 11, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Guliani is HOT posted:

I couldn't come up with a good usage for it in my head. It's got a long cast time, and it creates 6-8 randomly-placed fire spouts around you. You typically don't have time to charge up a good ~2-second cast when any enemy is in range of being hit by it.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Hey guys - if I return a weapon back to +10 (say from lightning) do I get the titanite chunks back?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Judas Priest posted:

Hey guys - if I return a weapon back to +10 (say from lightning) do I get the titanite chunks back?

Almost definitely no

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Judas Priest posted:

Nope, and the game tells you this when it asks you to confirm the downgrade.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Oh my bad. Thanks!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess my question is, is that listed attack power the attack power for normal arrows? I know the bow has its own special arrows somewhere but I don't have any of those. I'm not talking long range here ether. I was just using it to take out that priest guy who is on the second floor in the undead church.

But in general, I don't have much chance to test it. It's not like its going to beat my great lightning spear or anything. Or emit force, I've been using that thing recently and holy poo poo. The only annoying part is that it tends to blow enemies back towards me, literally hitting and staggering me by being hit by a flying dead body.

I just tried the darkmoon bow out yesterday and was getting awesome damage on things. The channeler is highly resistant to magic damage, try it on something else.

edit: Like the hydra in darkroot was only around two to three shots per head.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Will killing Gwyndoline make the Giant Blacksmith hostile?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
No

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
So, now that I've finished my Demon's Souls fisticuffs run, I kind of want to try out some of the less used weapons in Dark Souls, and maybe make a trickster thief setup for PVP. I'm wondering whether anyone's tried out a few upgraded weapons:

Painting Guardian Sword
Any of the knives/daggers
Notched Whip
Claws

I don't really care if they're on par with the Zweihander or anything, but Dark Souls is a lot less forgiving of gimmicky builds than Demon's Souls, so I kind of want to make sure that I'll actually be able to enjoy and beat the game with the weapon.

Also somewhat curious how effective two-handing lighting shields as weapons are (aside from the obvious bonewheel shield).

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 11, 2011

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Will killing Gwyndoline make the Giant Blacksmith hostile?

If you kill Gwynevere he'll disappear though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

I just did that and he's still there.

Anyway, whats the best place right now to get summoned at SL 86? Is the painted world still good?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Miijhal posted:

So, now that I've finished my Demon's Souls fisticuffs run, I kind of want to try out some of the less used weapons in Dark Souls, and maybe make a trickster thief setup for PVP. I'm wondering whether anyone's tried out a few upgraded weapons:

Painting Guardian Sword
Any of the knifes/daggers
Notched Whip
Claws

I don't really care if they're on par with the Zweihander or anything, but Dark Souls is a lot less forgiving of gimmicky builds than Demon's Souls, so I kind of want to make sure that I'll actually be able to enjoy and beat the game with the weapon.

Also somewhat curious how effective two-handing lighting shields as weapons are (aside from the obvious bonewheel shield).

All of those would be fun and doable in PvE. Well, I haven't tried out the claws yet, but since they look bad rear end you should probably try them.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

+10 Fire Notched Whip kicks some serious rear end. Whips also break skeletons apart, so you can do a Castlevania-esque Catacombs run as soon as you pick one up. Knives seriously lack the damage output for bosses, but Priscilla's Dagger can make short work of many common enemies. The R2 attack is fast enough to attack a lot of enemies while they are winding up, and the two hits should stun them. But Priscilla's +5 did all of 24 damage as swing to 4 Kings.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yeah, I always forget about the 4 kings. I hate you kings!

Keep something big with you for those tougher fights like the kings.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Cbouncerrun posted:

Killing the Giant Blacksmith is about the only time he'll disappear.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

enojy posted:

Hmm... the absolute earliest I can think of getting witchy clothes is getting Lautrec out of his cage and then going into the Depths so he kills the Firelink Shrine flame keeper. That armor sucks, though. The obvious choice is the Gold-Hemmed set, but that too is going to suck after the patch...

I will defend the Dingy set to my last days. The chestpiece, at least, is actually quite good and offers very high curse resistance. No poise, but roughly peers to Wanderer's and looks extremely witchy.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I have finally beat the 4 Kings on my SL1 character! Yay! What a huge pain!

Now I can spread chaos to the noobs in the Burg and Parish. I appear as a spirit of vengeance, but always leave a gift before stealing their sweet, sweet humanity.

First victim walked away with a lightning spear (should make the Taurus Demon fight a lot easier for him), and the second walked away with a Drake Sword. All of my extra souls will be going towards making some nifty +5 Shields. Gifts and death to everyone!

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Soooo... your awesome. But how the hell did you manage to do that?? :confused: I needs details. Just get a few people to help in co-op or something?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm gonna guess iron flesh, lingering dragoncrest ring and a poo poo ton of pyromancy.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Can't wait to start a new char, run around the Burg as a human and see what horrible/wonderful things I run into. :allears: I'm trying to make myself finish the game first though. 85 hours on my first playthrough and I still need to get 3 of the 4 last bosses, Sif and Gwyn. I'm slow.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Where can I invade at level 84? I got one in AL. And it was awesome. Oh, your pyromancy doesn't do the trick? A ZWEIHANDER DOES

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

SL1 Four Kings isn't that bad if you grab some decent armor and upgrade a solid weapon. I think my Lightning Battle Axe was +3 at that point. From there just Iron Flesh + Crystal Shield gets it done pretty quick. I cheesed that one at least. Doing it 'legit' at SL1 doesn't sound any fun at all.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Demtor posted:

Soooo... your awesome. But how the hell did you manage to do that?? :confused: I needs details. Just get a few people to help in co-op or something?

With Pyromancy my SL1 character killed O&S and the 4 Kings on the first try. If you want the game to be easy, get a pyromancy glove and level it up.

I think I need to play my SL1 dark wraith some more, multiplayer has really started slowing down lately and with that one I should still be able to get people fairly easily.

Santa Smough is coming to town!

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Time to start my Revenge of the Dragons run. Barehands, the stones and my estus flasks, all in dragon form. Can it be done?

Yes. Yes it can.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Demtor posted:

As others have said, equipment is really important and I had no interest in a "fair" fight so I got my +15 Pyromancy, Iron Flesh, +2 Estus (with 20 charges), Crystal Ring Shield, Havel's Armor, Ring of Favor, and +5 Lightning Ax (one of the few weapons a SL1 guy can use) and just crystal blasted them to death.

Unfortunately, it's still luck-based because they can spam grabs and purple magic all day long if they want.

Santa Smough's unite! I think "present death" would be a good motto, I do love a good double entendre.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

FisheyStix posted:

Time to start my Revenge of the Dragons run. Barehands, the stones and my estus flasks, all in dragon form. Can it be done?

Yes. Yes it can.

I actually think someone already did that.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Darkmoon Blade is supposed to be the "Justice against troll" covenant. It's functionally the "Get ground for free soul levels by trolls" covenant.

You want to met out justice? Get to NGx8, then never touch another boss again, wandering between zones waiting for Red Phantoms to invade you. It plays out a bit like this most of the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goddammit I knew this game was going to make it hard for me to enjoy Skyrim :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cuchulain posted:

Darkmoon Blade is supposed to be the "Justice against troll" covenant. It's functionally the "Get ground for free soul levels by trolls" covenant.

You want to met out justice? Get to NGx8, then never touch another boss again, wandering between zones waiting for Red Phantoms to invade you. It plays out a bit like this most of the time.
No, it goes like this.
Search for world of the guilty
Failed to invade
Failed to invade
Failed to invade
Failed to invade
Failed to invade