Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Edo Animus posted:

As others have said, equipment is really important and I had no interest in a "fair" fight so I got my +15 Pyromancy, Iron Flesh, +2 Estus (with 20 charges), Crystal Ring Shield, Havel's Armor, Ring of Favor, and +5 Lightning Ax (one of the few weapons a SL1 guy can use) and just crystal blasted them to death.

Unfortunately, it's still luck-based because they can spam grabs and purple magic all day long if they want.

Santa Smough's unite! I think "present death" would be a good motto, I do love a good double entendre.

Holy poo poo. Haha, never thought of that kind of gear. Rock on sir, nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dear Watson posted:

Its all luck. I've gotten slabs with no ring and no humanity and item discovery 100, but come up empty with 410 item discovery. Theoretically you should be able to get them more with higher ID, but I think the drop is so rare that luck plays into it more than ID.

I personally suspect that each drop has a set chance, and the Item Discovery number is a multiplier of something like ID x 0.01. So the base item discovery of 100 is basically like "Set chance x 1" and an item discovery of 300 is "Set chance x 3." However, if an item has a set chance to drop of 1%, even a highly boosted item discovery will only get you to 3 or 4%, and in the grand game of luck, that's not a big difference.

But yeah, it's definitely personal luck more than pure mathematical luck at play. I farmed forever to get a Balder Side Sword, and probably killed about 300 of those elite undead jerks. Then the other night, I got 4 more after killing 10 or so.

While we're on the topic of farming Darkwraiths: what's the easiest bonfire to lower New Londo? Firelink requires you to take several elevators, run a long way, and dodge through several ghost ambushes. Darkroot Garden requires you to dodge through 5 jerk dragons.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Where in New Londo are you trying to get? If you go in from the Firelink, you take one elevator, run past the people who've just hollowed (at least I assume why they're hollowed but passive), ignore the ghosts, and drop off that first ledge on your right. It puts you near the pool, which you also get to if you go down the elevator, go straight past the barracks/houses, and take a right.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yeah, using the firelink and then dropping off that ledge to the right of the first two ghosts puts you right in the middle of the darkwraiths. You can farm them pretty quickly doing that and homewarding. I usually kill all the dark wraiths except the one behind the building near the boss fog gate since the ghosts can be jerks. You never have to use a transient curse this way, or worry about ghosts at all.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I tried that once, but the problem I had was that I was in the middle of the darkwraithes. I had to fight like 4 of them at once when I tried to jump into the pool area.

Edit: Just tried that and I had to fight 4 of them at once. All I got was a single titanite shard.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 12, 2011

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Zetsubou posted:

Oh, I always just assumed that it was a glitch/exploit, but now that I actually think about it, having the game designers put a big pit in the boss area and not expecting the boss to fall down it seems kinda dumb now.

It's cool, I assumed it was a glitch for a while too, but only just now realized that if it were a glitch, he'd fall and then his lifebar would disappear, not the other way around.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I tried that once, but the problem I had was that I was in the middle of the darkwraithes. I had to fight like 4 of them at once when I tried to jump into the pool area.
Sounds like you were jumping off at the wrong place. If you jump off where I was, you end up on a triangular (maybe, I'm too exhausted to be sure) chunk of dry land. None of them aggroed on me until I hunted them down.

I've been trying to figure out the best light armors, but there isn't much information available. Based on their defense per weight at +0 (because I couldn't find +5 for uniques, +9 otherwise), Shadow actually wins in every category (gold-hemmed actually does but nyeh). Excluding Shadow (because it has pretty weak defense), it turns out that the thief starter set looks to be the best for all pieces, in terms of defense / weight for the lighter sets. I'm too tired to check every set.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Miijhal posted:

Nope, do it as much as you need to.

Also, I'm finding a lot of help at level 16. Seems like a good level to play with others.

Really? I'm playing a level 15 dude, with a +5 fire barbed sword to assist with the gargoyles. It's been a ghost town online today, I'm not seeing any summons or getting summoned.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Schwartzcough posted:

I personally suspect that each drop has a set chance, and the Item Discovery number is a multiplier of something like ID x 0.01. So the base item discovery of 100 is basically like "Set chance x 1" and an item discovery of 300 is "Set chance x 3." However, if an item has a set chance to drop of 1%, even a highly boosted item discovery will only get you to 3 or 4%, and in the grand game of luck, that's not a big difference.

But yeah, it's definitely personal luck more than pure mathematical luck at play. I farmed forever to get a Balder Side Sword, and probably killed about 300 of those elite undead jerks. Then the other night, I got 4 more after killing 10 or so.

While we're on the topic of farming Darkwraiths: what's the easiest bonfire to lower New Londo? Firelink requires you to take several elevators, run a long way, and dodge through several ghost ambushes. Darkroot Garden requires you to dodge through 5 jerk dragons.

I started a new character and made it to the parish blacksmith when I noticed that I was still using the garbage shield from the tutorial. I thought "Hey, hollow soldier shield is pretty common, I'll just farm that one in 15 min".

I probably killed 800 or so of them before it dropped, and that was after I had given up and got it from the ones near the undead burg merchants.

The rng is very, very cruel.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm pretty sure Hollow Soldier Shield is actually quite rare (which you seem to have noticed). I always just grab the Dragon Crest Shield at the beginning of every playthrough, as it's a 100% physical block shield that's pretty nice to have on the gargoyles.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Elysiume posted:

I'm pretty sure Hollow Soldier Shield is actually quite rare (which you seem to have noticed). I always just grab the Dragon Crest Shield at the beginning of every playthrough, as it's a 100% physical block shield that's pretty nice to have on the gargoyles.

I feel bad about throwing those five or so hollow shields out. I actually didn't know it was so powerful, I relied on an upgraded Balder shield for all my stability related blocking until i grinded the stats for a stone greatshield.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

I started a new character and made it to the parish blacksmith when I noticed that I was still using the garbage shield from the tutorial. I thought "Hey, hollow soldier shield is pretty common, I'll just farm that one in 15 min".

I probably killed 800 or so of them before it dropped, and that was after I had given up and got it from the ones near the undead burg merchants.

The rng is very, very cruel.

Yeah, I have about 5 complete sets of undead soldier/warrior/balder armor, and I've only ever gotten a single Hollow Soldier's Shield, despite walking around with a Gold Serpent's Ring all the time. They do seem really rare.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Elysiume posted:

While it's not a super common drop, it's common enough that you usually end up with one if you run through the burg/parish a few times. I think this was just a horrible chain of rng events, I had several full sets of hollow soldier armor/weapons and two balder side swords.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

After who knows many hours of grinding darkwraiths, I finally got a Titanite Slab. Now I can get that trophy with Solaire's Sword.

Praise The Sun!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SgtSteel91 posted:

After who knows many hours of grinding darkwraiths, I finally got a Titanite Slab. Now I can get that trophy with Solaire's Sword.

Praise The Sun!
You don't get to praise the sun. You shouldn't even have that sword. :mad:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Elysiume posted:

It's not like he was useful anyway.

Yeah I said it! :colbert:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Sunbro flip flops between worthless and amazing seemingly at random. Some days he killed Smoug by himself while I'm not looking, sometimes he runs under the Gaping Dragon's puke. Of Sunbro, you so crazy. :allears:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I spent days trying to grind humanity for the shortcut to save Solaire and I messed up by talking to him after the Centipede Demon fight. The least I could do for him was take up his sword, literally, and use it to smite demons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lordpen posted:

Tell me about it. My Skyrim dude can't fight for poo poo, i need rolls and parries goddamnit.
Archery is so much better in Skyrim though. It's got that going for it at least.

However, even while I was playing Skyrim today I was thinking about what I should do next with the new character I just started in Dark Souls...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The only thing Solaire's done for me is distract the Centipede demon long enough for me to kill it. He didn't survive, but it was helpful.

Everyone seems to say the Centipede Demon is so easy, but he was a pain in my rear end. He likes to hang out beyond lock-on range and punch the poo poo out of me, making dodging diffiuclt; then when he does get in lock-on range he literally stands on top of you so you can't see what the hell is going on until he picks you up and eats you. Also, he seems to be randomly impervious to damage, based on the Soul Arrow spamming I was trying to kill him with only working about 1/3 of the time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Klaus Kinski posted:

While it's not a super common drop, it's common enough that you usually end up with one if you run through the burg/parish a few times. I think this was just a horrible chain of rng events, I had several full sets of hollow soldier armor/weapons and two balder side swords.

I didn't get it on my character so I tried farming for it. By the time I got one I had enough souls to buy the forest key from the blacksmith. And of course afterwards I get one every other time I head to the blacksmith from Firelink :negative:

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
I was super excited about Skyrim earlier this year. Now that I'm playing Dark Souls, not so much. I was watching GiantBomb's quick look earlier and fighting dragons looked underwhelming. They simply approached the dragon and started hitting until it died. It's a different game with different mechanics I guess. I'll probably wait until Dark Souls is a distant memory and Skyrim has a release with all the DLC and patches before buying it.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

CoderCat posted:

I was super excited about Skyrim earlier this year. Now that I'm playing Dark Souls, not so much. I was watching GiantBomb's quick look earlier and fighting dragons looked underwhelming. They simply approached the dragon and started hitting until it died. It's a different game with different mechanics I guess. I'll probably wait until Dark Souls is a distant memory and Skyrim has a release with all the DLC and patches before buying it.

To be fair to Skyrim, you don't really play that game for the combat. It's more about the unadulterated "Holy poo poo, huge world to explore!" aspect that it has going for it. From what I've played of the two, Dark Souls and Skyrim really don't compare to each other very well. Dark Souls is a much more focused experience that emphasizes overcoming adversity and mastering the gameplay systems while Skyrim is more about drifting from quest to quest, squeezing whatever enjoyment out of it however you see fit.

Also, if you're playing anything other than a mage in that game you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Just want to mention since I don't think anyone has, patch 1.05 has turned this game from empty ghost town to internet heaven. I invade within 2 minutes anytime I try and I've been getting a surprising number of white phantom summons in the demon ruins of all places to fight that pathetically easy firesage demon.

If you invade someone in the demon ruins and they've just entered, kick them off the thin cliff! Kick is the ultimate pvp move.

Too bad none of you will play patch 1.05 because of microsoft or whatever. Personally I blame bed of chaos, that lovely boss is probably delaying the patch.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way
Is there anyone on Live thats low level near O and S? I really want to kill Ornstein last, but im having a lot of trouble at SL 1.

E. And then solaire, like an idiot, demands to fight those golems.

Scrooged fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 12, 2011

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

The only thing Solaire's done for me is distract the Centipede demon long enough for me to kill it. He didn't survive, but it was helpful.

Everyone seems to say the Centipede Demon is so easy, but he was a pain in my rear end. He likes to hang out beyond lock-on range and punch the poo poo out of me, making dodging diffiuclt; then when he does get in lock-on range he literally stands on top of you so you can't see what the hell is going on until he picks you up and eats you. Also, he seems to be randomly impervious to damage, based on the Soul Arrow spamming I was trying to kill him with only working about 1/3 of the time.

If you can cut off his arm, he doesn't have much of an offence. Just make sure to kill his arm after you sever it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spiking posted:

Too bad none of you will play patch 1.05 because of microsoft or whatever. Personally I blame bed of chaos, that lovely boss is probably delaying the patch.

If Microsoft is the problem, I don't see a problem for us PS3 players.

After all, we got Valkenhayne about three weeks before the 360 players :smug:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I turned Solaire's sword into Chaos +5 for the trophy. It seemed appropriate somehow. Maybe I'll drop it off next time I see him down in Lost Izalith.

vvv: Congratulations! The last thing I did was realize I never bought Karmic Justice from Oswald after spending 2 hours grinding out Souvenirs of Reprisal for the Darkmoon Blade miracle.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 12, 2011

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
Dark Soul Platinum Obtained

I get breeze through all the required stuff in NG++ to get my final Sif soul and my final Tannite Slab from Stray Demon. I get to the Giant Blacksmith and forge my final stuff and get... nothing.

What the hell. I start going through the checklist I had written down and I'm checking and everything that was there I had.Going back to the various wiki sites it seems that I was missing the Stone Greatsword and Greatshield. One final bit of grinding and a little bit of luck they drop (ending with the Stone Greatshield so that's a confirmed item). I get the Platnium and now I can put the game away for a little now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Trinexx posted:

I get breeze through all the required stuff in NG++ to get my final Sif soul and my final Tannite Slab from Stray Demon. I get to the Giant Blacksmith and forge my final stuff and get... nothing.

What the hell. I start going through the checklist I had written down and I'm checking and everything that was there I had.Going back to the various wiki sites it seems that I was missing the Stone Greatsword and Greatshield. One final bit of grinding and a little bit of luck they drop (ending with the Stone Greatshield so that's a confirmed item). I get the Platnium and now I can put the game away for a little now.

Yeah. The wiki.dot website (not wikispaces) seems to have the best list for unique weapons. There's stuff in the guide that you don't need to get like the regular Ghost blade (only the jagged).

It's not as obvious as Demon's Souls, as Demon's Souls was basically if its upgradable with a colorless demon's soul, it's a unique weapon.

But here, there's so much poo poo that's upgradable with twinkling that's not a unique weapon. (for the purpose of the trophy) Stuff like the Channeler's Trident is unique but the titanite catch pole isn't.

Also don't put away the game! work on some more characters, including a low level invader! you could make a SL1 invader, and a SL30 invader (perfect for sen's fortress).

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can someone around level 11 on xbox drop a mask for me so I can do a maneater mildred run :(

edit: or you can come in my stream https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r and let me invade you in burg or something and dro pit for me!

waspinator fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 12, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Elysiume posted:

I want to get a +4 lightning claw and stabby-zap things. It'll be terrible, but...

Are there any fist weapons that don't suck? This is rhetorical. The answer is no. Claws are bad. Cestus is worse. Dragon Bone Fist is awful. Dark Hand is trash. Let me punch things with stabby-hands :argh:

Claws are actually okay. They don't do impressive damage, but they attack fast as poo poo and they add bleeding damage, so as long as you're clawing something that can bleed you'll get an extra big chunk of HP splurting off once in a while. With a fully upgraded elemental claw (I used fire, I'm sure lightning would be at least as good) and when you keep in mind how very very fast they punch, you can put out hurt-over-time at a comparable rate to much 'better' weapons, and higher with bleed effects. They've also got the best reach of any fisty weapons. They do suck miserably against very heavily armored and bloodless enemies, like tit demons or giant sentinels. Actually, with a lightning claw, the low lit-resist on metal enemies might make them okay. So you're going to be kinda frustrated if it's your only weapon, but if you pull them out in the right situation you can kick plenty of rear end with a claw. The other bashy punch-fists are just crap, though. :(

Elysiume posted:

I've been trying to figure out the best light armors, but there isn't much information available. Based on their defense per weight at +0 (because I couldn't find +5 for uniques, +9 otherwise), Shadow actually wins in every category (gold-hemmed actually does but nyeh). Excluding Shadow (because it has pretty weak defense), it turns out that the thief starter set looks to be the best for all pieces, in terms of defense / weight for the lighter sets. I'm too tired to check every set.

This guy is some kind of data-wizard and has all of the stats. http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armors/sets/1 It looks like the Wanderer set gives you the best defense while still being really light. And you can upgrade it with regular tit.

Trinexx posted:

:golfclap:

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 12, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

waspinator posted:

Can someone around level 11 on xbox drop a mask for me so I can do a maneater mildred run :(

edit: or you can come in my stream https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r and let me invade you in burg or something and dro pit for me!

Didn't you get a sack before? I remember you picking one up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Do most people simply not know about Chameleon? I don't know how many times I've been disguised as a bush or a barrel or a trio of impaled hollows (or something), and the host will look right at me, then give up.

Sometimes he'll even move away, then come back. Look some more. Sometimes his phantom buddy will do it too.

I kid you not that, once, the host turned towards his phantom and did the 'shrug' gesture. With his back to me.

He got backstabbed and died. I praised the sun as me and his phantom buddy were fading away.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

ConfusedUs posted:

Do most people simply not know about Chameleon? I don't know how many times I've been disguised as a bush or a barrel or a trio of impaled hollows (or something), and the host will look right at me, then give up.

Sometimes he'll even move away, then come back. Look some more. Sometimes his phantom buddy will do it too.

I kid you not that, once, the host turned towards his phantom and did the 'shrug' gesture. With his back to me.

He got backstabbed and died. I praised the sun as me and his phantom buddy were fading away.

I've ran past someone as a pot and they just outright ignored me. I have no idea what to think of that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I can't get the Black Eye Orb to vibrate again, I've been back as undead and human and I think I missed my shot. How loving lame.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Miijhal posted:

I've ran past someone as a pot and they just outright ignored me. I have no idea what to think of that.

I'm just picturing these people as someone's ineffectual aunt Marie.

"Oh that silly Dark Souls game. It's got widdle moving pots and people with swords! What a scamp!"

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

I can't get the Black Eye Orb to vibrate again, I've been back as undead and human and I think I missed my shot. How loving lame.

It will only vibrate the first time you enter the room, you can still use it even if you don't get the message again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chard posted:

You should be able to just go into the main hall before O&S and use it. On the floor, on the stairs, on the balcony...wherever. Just slot it into a quickslot and use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Chard posted:

It doesn't react again, but you can use it over and over in the same room. You just have to go down the first set of stairs first.

• Locked thread