Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So I made a starter Thursday night and after decanting this morning the slurry I have left is barely enough to cover my stir bar. It was in the fridge for 12 hours or so after being on a stir plate for 24 hours. Did I do something wrong or was this packed of wyeast bad? (I'm thinking I did something wrong)

e: I guess the only way to know for sure is to pitch it and see what happens. Also I hosed up and let my specialty grains get to hot. I think they got up to 180. I thought I had the burner turned down low enough, but welp. BRB, grabbing homebrew and relaxing.

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Depending on the footprint of your container, slurry sufficient to cover a stirbar is actually kind of a lot of yeast. I think you're going to be just fine.

On the other hand, I think my ferment fridge just died. It's not like my garage is hot right now, but I just realized that, although I turned the thermostat down a day or two ago to crash chill, it hasn't really gotten colder in there. I have it turned off now, going to let it rest overnight and see if it's just iced up coils or something like that.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
Here are my first two batches of beer. Both bottled this week. I'm so impatient to drink it.
http://imgur.com/a/iRKeq

Gold caps are extra special bitter, silver caps are smoked porter.
Had to use about eight heineken bottles to finish bottling, and they were miserable to get the labels off, and caps didn't fit nicely.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is today's woot any good for an outdoor brew kettle and burner?

http://home.woot.com

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

That's pretty much what I have. Well, the burner, I ended up upgrading the pot pretty quick, but the burner itself is pretty solid. I use it for a 15 gallon pot now with no issues.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Hey, anyone interested in a Goon Homebrew secret santa this year? I'd be willing to administer.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Hey, anyone interested in a Goon Homebrew secret santa this year? I'd be willing to administer.

In an odd coincidence my black IPA will be ready just in time for Christmas; might be able to send a bottle or two.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I'd be down.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

That's pretty much what I have. Well, the burner, I ended up upgrading the pot pretty quick, but the burner itself is pretty solid. I use it for a 15 gallon pot now with no issues.

What was wrong with the pot? Just not big enough, or is it a bad brewpot or?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks good to me.

A 35qt pot should be perfect for 5 gallon batches. Looks like the shape of the pot will help mitigate the risk of boilover. It's got a drain on it, too, which means you can drain the wort easier OR if you upgrade from that pot for boiling, you can add a false bottom and use it as a mash/lauter tun.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 13, 2011

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

Does this fryer have annoying safety options? The cheap one I have has a 20 minute timer that constantly needs to be reset, or it will stop the flow of propane to the burner.

I can't seem to find the BTU output of my fryer, but similar ones in price and pot size are around 38000 BTUs. Is a step up to 46000 significant?

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, I'd actually just bought this fryer at Lowe's about two weeks ago. It worked out fine for me; the thermometer on it is helpful, the spigot seemed less so since it's kind of high up and I was worried about losing a lot of liquid because of that. With that said, I bought a barb adapter for it to hook up a hose next time and use it for draining, since siphoning the wort off sucked. I don't think replacing the spigot is easy on it, but the end of it is threaded so you can hook up a hose without much effort.

The 35 quarts seems generous; 6.5 gallons goes up a little bit into the wider boil-over area (it goes somewhere between just over the wider area and the base of the bolts for the handles, iirc). The pot feels a bit cheap/thin and like it might be the first thing I'm likely to replace.

All in all the setup worked for me. If you plan on doing that you need to keep the thermometer attachment since the burner mechanism needs it to turn on. I didn't notice any other safety mechanisms than that though; it never tried to turn itself off during the boil.

Edit: Looking closer, this might be a slightly different model, but what I have looks pretty similar and was the same Saf-T brand.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm interested.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."
I'd be down for the secret Santa.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

TenjouUtena posted:

What was wrong with the pot? Just not big enough, or is it a bad brewpot or?

Pot was fine, though aluminum, I just wanted to upgrade to something bigger. Looking closer, it's not the same model but it is the same brand and I haven't had any issues other then some rust because the heat burner will peel the paint off a lot of the stand.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks like you'd have to cut some metal if you upgraded to a wider pot. You can get a set without the stupid safety frame arms for $60 at lowes or home depot.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I would definitely be down to submit some brews. I can't say mine will be especially incredible, but it would be nice to get some critical tastebuds on my beer so far.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'd be down for Goonbrew Secret Santa, too. Depending on the deadline I have 1-2 beers that should be in their prime.

Brewed an all-grain batch today and got way higher efficiency that usual; OG came in like 7 points high. Easily fixed with top up water but I hate inconsistency :colbert: I'm pretty confident that I measured all my water volumes and grain weights correctly. Not sure what happened, I did two things differently:

* Mash sat 90 minutes instead of 60 cause I got busy with yard work. But I've done that before and not had a huge efficiency jump.

* I used about 1.25lbs of flaked oats. Going off something I read somewhere, I crushed them to a powder in my food processor before mashing. Could 8% of the grist being crushed super fine lead to that jump? I've long suspected that my LHBS' mill is awful and giving me a lovely crush, this kinda points me even more toward that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

tesilential posted:

Looks like you'd have to cut some metal if you upgraded to a wider pot. You can get a set without the stupid safety frame arms for $60 at lowes or home depot.

Yeah, the arms were what were making me think it was maybe not the most versatile option. I'll keep an eye out for something different, as the Woot seems to have sold out anyway :(

On to another stupid question:

I've had some stuff sitting in secondary for a month and a half now since I haven't had time to get around and bottle it yet. Tonight I went back to the room in my basement where I keep it and noticed there are some weird spots floating on top. They look thin and almost oily.

The only thing I can think of that could be connected is that I was cleaning up the basement and had to move the carboy. Is this just some yeast or trub that got kicked up when I moved it, and it's now floating up top?

This crap was not floating on top before I moved it, which is why I'm thinking that it's related. I assume if I had an infection it would have been evident a lot sooner, and would be much more widespread, right?

Sorry for the crappy camera phone pic.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My bedroom is slowly being overtaken with beers.

I've got 2 or 3 more boxes worth in other parts.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hi brewgoons! Made up my first (malt extract) batch yesterday and this morning it was bubbling away.

I guess the yeast was pretty active, because all the sanitizer I'd put in the one-piece airlock had bubbled out, and there was a bit of beer in the airlock and on top of the bucket lid. There was still movement in the liquid in the airlock (right at the lowest bend), so I guess it wasn't totally exposed to air, but to get the seal back I topped it up with water.

So I guess I have the usual 'is my brew screwed?' question...

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

kitten smoothie posted:

This crap was not floating on top before I moved it, which is why I'm thinking that it's related. I assume if I had an infection it would have been evident a lot sooner, and would be much more widespread, right?

That looks kind of like it could be the beginnings of an infection, or it could be nothing. I'd give it a good smell/taste and if you don't notice anything remotely off not worry about it too much. If you do think it's the beginnings of an infection just bottle/keg it really quickly and get it refrigerated. If you bottle keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get too carbonated and blow up. You're probably fine though, it doesn't look too bad.

krushgroove posted:

So I guess I have the usual 'is my brew screwed?' question...

It's fine, despite there not being water in the airlock you had enough outward pressure from fermentation to keep anything else from getting in there.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool, thanks, I didn't think of the outward pressure. I guess if it was at the end of the fermentation it would be a bigger problem. Would a 2-piece airlock prevent all the water getting pushed out by the pressure?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Cool, thanks, I didn't think of the outward pressure. I guess if it was at the end of the fermentation it would be a bigger problem. Would a 2-piece airlock prevent all the water getting pushed out by the pressure?

Google "blowoff tube".

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

kitten smoothie posted:

weird spots floating on top.

Looks ok to me, you probably knocked some dried up yeast hulls from the ring at surface when you moved it. If it doesn't smell/taste funky, it's fine. If that's all infection, it should have an obvious aroma.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

Google "blowoff tube".

Or, as an alternative simply don't seal the bucket lid all the way for the first couple days. It should prevent the blow out. After primary calms down, press it down all the way.

ziebarf
Jul 6, 2008
Brewing/Chilling Wort/Bros drinking on a balcony is a poo poo storm.. A really fun poo poo storm!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Went to buy ingredients for the ESB i've brewed previously. The hop schedule looks like:

60 min: 1oz fuggles
15 min: 1oz fuggles + 1oz golding
5 min: 1oz golding

they were out of fuggles so i bought cascade based on alpha acid since it's mainly for bittering. it won't turn out terrible will it?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The 15 min addition is late enough to get some Cascade flavor. It probably won't be bad but it may be noticeably more American in character. Which may be great and tasty as long as you don't intend to enter it in comps or anything.

I had good results subbing in Willamette for Fuggles in an ESB, for what that's worth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

OK. my tasting palette sucks and i just want drinkable beer so i'll give it a shot and see what happens.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I brewed up a sort of Sahti thing for a Christmas beer last weekend, a 1.072 strong Roggenbier with juniper berries. The decoctions were a complete fiasco since I hadn't done one in over a year, but one of the beauties of the process is if you're under temp you can just pull another decoction and I came in at the gravity I wanted.

I used an ounce of dried juniper berries from the brew store ground up and added at 3 minutes. No idea how this will turn out. Pray for me.

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
Does extract ever go bad? My friend was moving gave me some dry and canned liquid extract which is probably round 2-3 years old?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Raveen posted:

Does extract ever go bad? My friend was moving gave me some dry and canned liquid extract which is probably round 2-3 years old?

liquid ages worse than dry, i transcribed a section of "brewing classic styles" in this post

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
thanks, i will probably wont use it then since i was thinking of doing an old ale on a cali ale yeast cake from a black ipa, and off flavors on a beer like that would suck.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
If anyone else enjoys doing single-hop beers, I really must recommend trying all Santiam hops - the bitterness is very smooth and crisp like you would expect from a german style hop, but the aroma is also much more pleasant - makes for a really unique and tasty IPA.

I bittered to ~50IBUs with OG @ 1.060, finishing @ 6.8% ABV (I like my IPAs dry so I use nothing but Maris Otter pale malt and mash at 148-150). Of all my single-hop IPA experiments, I'd say it has been my second favorite next to Amarillo, and the Amarillo IPA could probably stand to have the bittering replaced by Magnum or something else that's cleaner - just love that plentiful Amarillo flavor/aroma.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I swear Zymurgy had an article last year about using old extract, but I didn't read it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Okay, here's the SA Homebrewer Secret Santa reg form. Registration is open until 11/30/11 and I will send assignments no later than 12/3/11.

Please be aware of restrictions and packing requirements for shipping beer. Do your homework!

Signup Form

We should make a sticky or something.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Registered, I accidentally submitted it twice because I hit tab on accident while typing my address and then returned for a new line.:v:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So my late hop experiment was very successful, thanks for the tip rage saq!

It is a SMaSH cascade/Maris otter ale hopped to 39 IBU with magnum. Then I used 3 oz whole leaf cascade a minute after flameout. I dry hopped in the keg with 2 more ounces of cascade 10 days ago and it is great! I mashed at 149* but used Thames Valley yeast so it still has some maltiness and breadiness while being dry and light on the tongue.

The aroma is impressive for being over a year old hops. It is definitely more aromatic and a little more flavorful than the first version with a traditional 60-15-5 min hop schedule.

I'm going to brew a hoppy red ale soon and I think I'll do mostly flameout additions but also add in 1 oz of Amarillo at 10 minutes for complexity. I'm kind of paranoid the late hop additions will fade quickly but I also don't think the pale SMaSH or imperial red will last very long, my friends and family love hoppy beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

So, I did this blonde ale a little while ago on a triple brewday between two stouts.

I racked it into a keg after 2 weeks fermenting at 65 (and a slow rise to 69 after 3 days), it sat for a few days and then I pitched gelatin and went on vacation. Finished out at 1.011

I got back a few days ago and I'm in love with the stuff. It turned out exactly how I'd intended. Nice clear straw color, light, mildly floral aroma with a bit of malt. Taste is light malt, not husky at all and a bit of hop bitterness. It absolutely vanishes off the palate as soon as you swallow.
The intention was to make something I can keep on tap and just doodle with the recipe when I rebrew. Mostly so I have a homebrew that anybody can drink and enjoy during parties, etc.
It'd be fun to throw a giant charge of an american hop at flameout and see what it does.

5.5 preboil, 76% mash eff

10lbs 2 Row
8oz Crystal 20

mashed at 152, 168 mashout, sparged to 7.4g preboil

1oz Willamette @ 60
.25oz Willamette @ 30

fresh 001 into a 1.5l starter, decanted and pitched, fermented at 65, rise to 69 after 3 days, held for 2 weeks and kegged. 500 mils/50g of gelatin added to clarify.

1.048 SG
23 IBU calculated
~5% abv