Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kaujot posted:

Also, Hoop Dreams was shot on video. I was under the impression that video didn't transfer all that well to HD.

If they do release a Blu-Ray version, less compression on the SD video which won't be that noticeable. I also imagine that they would include a lossless audio track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I cannot recommend Carlos enough.

EDIT: I...I think I posted this exact sentence before.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 9, 2011

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd never bought a Criterion release until I stumbled upon the B&N sale a few days ago. I bought For All Mankind on Blu-ray because I'm a huge space nerd.

:stare: Holy poo poo. :stare:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Went to my local Barnes and Noble earlier today (or yesterday). Excited to buy half-off Criterion blurays only to find my local B&N have removed their entire DVD and Bluray section. :smith:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

VoodooXT posted:

Went to my local Barnes and Noble earlier today (or yesterday). Excited to buy half-off Criterion blurays only to find my local B&N have removed their entire DVD and Bluray section. :smith:

Same here. Perhaps they shouldn't have charged MSRP for every single item if they really wanted to sell movies.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
So all of my order just shipped (piece by piece, which is not what I asked for, but whatever) - except for Le Samourai. In fact, I checked my order status today and they just straight-up cancelled it! What the hell is going on and how the hell do I get my copy of Le Samourai?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pigeon Shamus posted:

So all of my order just shipped (piece by piece, which is not what I asked for, but whatever) - except for Le Samourai. In fact, I checked my order status today and they just straight-up cancelled it! What the hell is going on and how the hell do I get my copy of Le Samourai?

The sale is still going on, you can try another order. This happened to me with High and Low from last sale...after the sale was over. My guess was that they ran out of stock and instead of doing the cool thing and asking if you wanted to wait, they just canceled it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm thinking about getting the Louis Malle Eclipse set, since I'm interested in seeing Phantom India after reading a review of the film. But I'm not sure about the rest of the set. Is it worth the money? Would anyone recommend it?

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 10, 2011

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh god, I did it.

The Battle of Algiers
Days of Heaven
House
Naked
Night of the Hunter
The Thin Red Line
Three Colors trilogy

All on BD.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Space Fish posted:

Le Samourai is one of the only proper uses of a fedora in cinema I know (the other being Indiana Jones). To paraphrase Blue Velvet, "he's so loving SUAVE!"

Army of Shadows is not as suave, but is extremely effective as a tense spy tale. I liked it enough to upgrade to the blu after I bought it on DVD (and waited two years before actually watching it... Criterion punished my movie sloth).

Le Samurai is so loving phenomenal.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Got a 25% off code in the mail, so Fanny and Alexander blu was only $27 with shipping and tax. I hate-love that BN are so generous with coupon codes. It's nice, but I always feel compelled to buy poo poo I can't really afford.

Speaking of, if anyone is looking for a good deal on the DVD Fanny and Alexander box, let me know.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

robix smash posted:

Speaking of, if anyone is looking for a good deal on the DVD Fanny and Alexander box, let me know.

Echoing this, but for Australians. If any Australians want a stupidly good deal contact me.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

gently caress B&N and their loving 25% off coupon. Now instead of only getting the two I wanted there's 7 more than I have a sudden interest in. I could replace my old DVDs of Night of the Hunter or Wings of Desire, finish watching Fanny and Alexander, or blind buy Revanche, Crumb, Pale Flower or Broadcast News. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
This is apparently the last time coupons will work on Criterion sales, cause too many people go overboard with them and ruined it for the rest of us.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
If they didn't want us to buy a bunch of their DVDs they shouldn't have made them affordable. :argh:

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

And another clue:

So, more samurais then?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Thanks to the 25% coupon I got the F&A blu-ray for 20.25 USD! I want the Vigo blu-ray set but none of my B&N have it in stock. :(

Those are my only planned purchases from this sale since I still have a backlog of Criterions to watch.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Where is the 25% off coupon? I'm a member and never received an e-mail.

DetoxP posted:

And another clue:

So, more samurais then?

I can't help but think that that's going to be Masahiro Shinoda's film Assassination.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Where is the 25% off coupon? I'm a member and never received an e-mail.

The 25% coupon seems to have gone out to non-members. I found it in a mailbox I forgot I had registered with BN that isn't my member account.

I think I'm going to use it to get the Lubitsch Musicals box but I can't decide :ohdear:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Had to stop into B&N for a magazine and decided to pick up a few discs for myself

Complete Jean Vigo
Great Dictator
Kiss Me Deadly
Paths of Glory
Breathless

I suppose I should've picked 1 in color or semi-recent but the selection wasn't great and these seem to be acceptable except to my wallet.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
So while my Le Samourai order may have gotten cancelled without notice, the 25% off voucher still pushed me back into Barnes & Noble's arms like some kind of masochist. I even gave them more money, the sucker am I. The Nikkatsu Noir set better be worth the shame.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

please send me a 25% off coupon if you have an extra :) lucaskollauf @ gmail.com

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The Lucas posted:

please send me a 25% off coupon if you have an extra :) lucaskollauf @ gmail.com

Sending you an email!

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Safe Driver posted:

Sending you an email!

Thank you very much !!!~~~

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Lucas posted:

I would also like a coupon if anyone has an extra!

mechmaster6 @ gmail

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Hook a brother up with a coupon if you have a spare one :)

jrighter1 @ gmail dot com

So far i've grabbed:
Seven Samurai
Beauty and the Beast
House
Identification of a Woman
8 1/2

All on Blu-Ray. I watched 8 1/2 for the first time last night and Jesus Christ what a gorgeous film that is.

katatonic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 14, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Picked up Fanny & Alexander yesterday. I mentioned to the cashier about wanting to pick up Three Colors and knew what was I was talking about. Guess I'm too used to Walmart.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
If I'd known that all the Criterions on Hulu Plus were ad-free and almost entirely in HD I'd've subscribed earlier, drat.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If I'd known that all the Criterions on Hulu Plus were ad-free and almost entirely in HD I'd've subscribed earlier, drat.

drat it, I really wish Hulu could play in Canada.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It really is worth the 8 bucks a month, at least for a few months to watch the ones I've been wanting to see. I wish they had the full collection, or at least out of print ones though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, it kinda sucks about some of the absent titles, though a lot of them are available from Netflix on Blu-Ray (including the Colors Trilogy!) so that's nice.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
What's the subtitle situation like? If they have English subtitles on English titles that might convince me to sign up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I just checked out a couple flicks, Stage Coach and Hoop Dreams, and unfortunately there are no captions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, it seems like the majority of English-language films don't have subtitles. It's a really weird trend for Criterion. It's like having an amazing uncle who happens to be a Nazi.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, it seems like the majority of English-language films don't have subtitles. It's a really weird trend for Criterion. It's like having an amazing uncle who happens to be a Nazi.

I can't even understand like 75% of Jack Palance's dialogue in Contempt.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Maybe Nazis just have good hearing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, it kinda sucks about some of the absent titles, though a lot of them are available from Netflix on Blu-Ray (including the Colors Trilogy!) so that's nice.

It's even weirder to me when they have a ton of stuff up that, as far as I'm aware, they haven't released on DVD at all.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I know when they first inked the deal with Hulu, both said the entire Criterion library will eventually be up, including all extras and stuff. I'm guessing either they've gotten lazy or other titles are currently under other deals and can't be put up just yet.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

It's even weirder to me when they have a ton of stuff up that, as far as I'm aware, they haven't released on DVD at all.

That was part of the deal, I think. They'd said they'd be putting up a lot of stuff they hadn't released yet that is the kind of material that would go in Eclipse box sets. I think the specific name mentioned when the deal was announced was Kenji Mizoguchi.

Regarding subtitles, they are still kinda tricky to do properly/well with streaming video if you don't burn them in but I think it'll get there soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It looks like these are the February announcements:

World on a Wire
Anatomy of a Murder
Vanya on 42nd Street
Three Outlaw Samurai
Tiny Furniture

Of those, I've only seen Anatomy and I'm not that wild about it. The others I'm curious about, but only mildly. They must have gotten a bulk discount on Louis Malle films or something.

Hopefully we'll also get a couple of Blu-Ray upgrades.