Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

While bitching about a pretentious joke is great, does anyone have a changelist for 19.pre6?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/m8rrj/19_prerelease_6_changelog/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexadecimal Gnome
Apr 20, 2008

~a crackerjack typist~

Goons posted:

Yogscast comics interface and general rage about this

FYI, the comic strip thing was a temporary solution - we're looking into a complete website redesign, once we can actually find someone with vBulletin 4 knowledge, so one of my aims is to sort this whole thing out so it doesn't look like this. There is apparently going to be a better version of the comic thing coming out very soon, the guy is just coding it, but will find out. (If someone here wants to get involved with this to help speed up the process, feel free to email us).

Also Cheap Shot, email me what you have discussed with Tinman and what you ideally wanted and I'll look into this and see if we can fix something better before the website change, because god knows when the hell we'll find time for sorting this out. Just spent seven hours on the t-shirt store, editing has gone right out the window today. Also, why reply here with your aggros instead of coming directly to me or Lewis? We only heard you had been sorted out and were happy for now until the redesign.

Hexadecimal Gnome fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 12, 2011

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Hexadecimal Gnome posted:

Also, why reply here with your aggros instead of coming directly to me or Lewis? We only heard you had been sorted out and were happy for now until the redesign.

He never made any complaints here, only responded to and partially agreed with what other people said. This reads a lot like intimidation.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Sucks about wooden doors, but redstone, fences and obsidian FINALLY don't take a million years to mine with the correct tool, and stairs drop stairs. That's a pretty big reason to go to pre6.

I use entirely too many doors though. :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Okay, so Notch was dicking with us, so sayeth the twitters, but, like, I can understand the rage, honestly, when out of nowhere we get a stupid ending dropped on us, especially for the guys who aren't SO loving WIRED INTO SOCIAL MEDIA or whatever. The fact that the MC forums people are all into it just lays bare the fact that they're all thirteen-year-old boys who're easily impressed by breaking the fourth wall.

In better news HOLY poo poo STAIRS DROP STAIRS NOW. loving finallly.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Ending reminds me of the coffee/tea drinking recap sessions in Earthbound. Give it a vaguely trippy background and the proper music and it's not even that bad as written, just silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JKwBLYoxLA

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Boat posted:

Sucks about wooden doors, but redstone, fences and obsidian FINALLY don't take a million years to mine with the correct tool, and stairs drop stairs. That's a pretty big reason to go to pre6.

I use entirely too many doors though. :(

Wooden doors is a bug. So is obsidian, though jeb said he'll probably make it 10 secs instead of 15 secs.

Stairs and fences - finally!

And wolves spawn properly again! Too bad I'll just end up accidently getting them all killed.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Wooden doors is a bug. So is obsidian, though jeb said he'll probably make it 10 secs instead of 15 secs.

Stairs and fences - finally!

And wolves spawn properly again! Too bad I'll just end up accidently getting them all killed.

Yeah I was all WOLVES :woop: when I first got some, but all they're really good at is falling off cliffs, triggering creepers when you don't want them to, and getting immolated in lava.

They're really only good for livestock harvesting. Actually, now that I have a cattle farm, a few dogs might be useful. Punch a cow and you don't have to chase it down or waste your sword, just let the dogs finish it off.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Kassoon posted:

This reads a lot like intimidation.

What seemed to us like a happy announcement by Cheap Shot was in a matter of fact a cry for help as the mean english goons force him to produce at least 2 comics a week to add to their repertoire of tortured art. We must help him or he might end up cooked in peppermint sauce as it is custom on the Isle of the British.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

So is obsidian, though jeb said he'll probably make it 10 secs instead of 15 secs.

Aw, and I was hoping they were finally settling on the sane thing also.

Also why did they decide not to make things placeable on glowstone? I know that's going to break at least a few adventure maps.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

xf86enodev posted:

What seemed to us like a happy announcement by Cheap Shot was in a matter of fact a cry for help as the mean english goons force him to produce at least 2 comics a week to add to their repertoire of tortured art. We must help him or he might end up cooked in peppermint sauce as it is custom on the Isle of the British.

:golfclap:

It's a Very Bad road to head down when you browbeat people for airing concerns "the wrong way" (not behind closed doors). It only discourages them from being honest with you in the future, regardless of intent. Especially in this instance where he was just responding to complaints other people had.

It's understandable to be embarrassed and defensive when people don't like something, but saying "it's being worked on" was enough to assuage. No need to get personal.

Kassoon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 12, 2011

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Does Silk Touch work on monster spawners in 1.9pre6?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kassoon posted:

:golfclap:

It's a Very Bad road to head down when you browbeat people for airing concerns "the wrong way" (not behind closed doors). It only discourages them from being honest with you in the future, regardless of intent. Especially in this instance where he was just responding to complaints other people had.

It's understandable to be embarrassed and defensive when people don't like something, but saying "it's being worked on" was enough to assuage. No need to get personal.

You're making a bigger deal out of this than either cheap shot or Hannah are. All she's saying is that he shouldn't be afraid to email them if he has some concerns. Relax

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PalmTreeFun posted:

Aw, and I was hoping they were finally settling on the sane thing also.

Also why did they decide not to make things placeable on glowstone? I know that's going to break at least a few adventure maps.

Well I don't know bout adventure maps, but I do prefer to have long-distance minecartways in my single player worlds elevated and then with glowstone blocks every few blocks under the rails to keep the rail itself and surrounding ground fully lit. Avoiding monster surprises and all that.

Hexadecimal Gnome
Apr 20, 2008

~a crackerjack typist~

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You're making a bigger deal out of this than either cheap shot or Hannah are. All she's saying is that he shouldn't be afraid to email them if he has some concerns. Relax

Thank you, this is what I was going for - obviously the whole Minecon thing is making me a little bit more stressed out than originally thought and incapable of actually typing coherently and sensibly. It's in no way meant to be aggressive, I did actually check Skype to see if I could get hold of Cheap Shot first, but since he wasn't around I wanted to just highlight to him and goons that we ARE looking into it - the coding is slightly delayed due to Minecon and also our coder being seriously ill for a week or so, but we have something different in the works which should stop this. I've passed on all the thoughts goons gave, and our coder says that the new version fixes all of these issues anyway.

Sorry if it comes across as being more than this, I'm currently trying to balance a ridiculous amount of stuff for our trip away, including extracting interview schedules from Mojang which were due to come through Monday, but we still haven't had a whiff of any of them.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Okay, so Notch was dicking with us, so sayeth the twitters, but, like, I can understand the rage, honestly, when out of nowhere we get a stupid ending dropped on us, especially for the guys who aren't SO loving WIRED INTO SOCIAL MEDIA or whatever.

Seeing as the only advertising for the game is through word of mouth I find it hard to believe there are very many people who play Minecraft and don't regularly discuss it and share news about it on at least one kind of social media (this includes forums).

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Boat posted:

They're really only good for livestock harvesting. Actually, now that I have a cattle farm, a few dogs might be useful. Punch a cow and you don't have to chase it down or waste your sword, just let the dogs finish it off.

I usually use lava buckets to kill cows or pigs. That way their meat doesn't have to be cooked after you kill them, since when they die by burning they drop food already cooked. You do have to remove the lava immediately though, or your food will burn.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ice_Mallet posted:

I usually use lava buckets to kill cows or pigs. That way their meat doesn't have to be cooked after you kill them, since when they die by burning they drop food already cooked. You do have to remove the lava immediately though, or your food will burn.

Flint and Steel. Burn it, burn it all to ashes, to cinders, to ruin...

Uh, yeah, anyway. I do not get where all this rage comes from, im mostly left with a strong feeling of apathy. "Hey that was a cool looking boss battle, all this text is just stuff, MC never had a story anyway so i could not care if they shoe horn one in at the end."

Got to write a beginning to a tale to get an ending to work after all. ;)

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Am I the only one who figured the ending was just a placeholder? Notch has been talking up tools for adventure map creators, the ability to trigger an end sequence with easily edited scrolling text seems like an extremely obvious example. I imagine we'll see a block or something that triggers it when redstone power is applied down the road.

Christ, you guys are a bunch of babies speculating wildly about the finished vanilla product like anyone will even be playing vanilla Minecraft a month after it goes gold.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Yeah no, please don't get carried away guys. The comic page isn't ideal but I didn't come here to discuss that, it's already being worked on. I'm just sending you a link to where my comic is now. There is no reason to read into it like I'm begging for help and the yogscast have me chained to a wall drawing for them while they throw things at me. That would be ridiculous!

edit: Actually this has probably been helpful. I only noticed one or two problems. I hadn't even thought of most of the stuff you guys took issue with. I'm sure when the site design changes everyone's feedback will have been helpful in some way.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 12, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Nah, see, you don't "get" it. We got fooled. See, notch won. He pranked us. 8 minutes of ironic text. Hilarious. We fell for it when we bought the game and played through it, expecting it to not be a prank. Joke's on us! I guess that'll teach us to play through a game that has a definite progression from beginning to end.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I would say I TRUST notch, but I dunno if I LIKE him.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

This thread makes me cringe. I really figured people would be talking about people crying over the ending on the official forums. Instead it's 3 pages of the poo poo, only here.

When has notch been talking about adventure map tools? Has it been recently? If so, yay!

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
So I hadn't actually read the credits themselves until just now, just read people bitching about them. I don't think it's that ridiculous - maybe not terribly profound, but at least it tries to encompass the magnitude of the Minecraft experience without giving in to the temptation to give it a shoe-horned in story at the very end :shobon:

Personally I'm just super excited for release so mod makers can start doing their thing again. That's when this game will really start to shine.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh my god this abandoned mine NEVER ENDS! :derp:

Also, I've only found 6 diamond so far, in sets of 2. I take it their distribution has changed? Worst of it is, the first 2 I sworded, then lost to a death too deep in the mines to reach in time. Second pair for another sword. Now I have 2 diamonds chillin, but I'm not sure if I should make another sword to repair my current one with, or save up to get enough for a pick.

I get the distinct feeling you only get the accomplishment if you mine an obsidian block, not if you cast your Nether gate. I know this sounds silly, but I really would like to fill out the achievement tree. :shobon:

E: Wiki to the rescue, you just need to go through the portal. Hot drat, I don't have to worry about my sword.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 13, 2011

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I saw the ending and thought 'Yeah that's not great... I bet this will cause some sperging'. Then I went and built something awesome and forgot all about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's a certain feeling--a certain emotion--which is not unlike disappointment or resignation, that I find is unique to the Minecraft experience.

It's when you stand back to admire your newly finished structure and think, "my God, it looks like a giant floating penis. Again."

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a certain feeling--a certain emotion--which is not unlike disappointment or resignation, that I find is unique to the Minecraft experience.

It's when you stand back to admire your newly finished structure and think, "my God, it looks like a giant floating penis. Again."

I think you might be thinking of "satisfaction" or "pride". :colbert:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

blastron posted:

I think you might be thinking of "satisfaction" or "pride". :colbert:

No. For sure it's arousal.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
Huge, absurd event unmentioned in the projected change list happens in beta phase indie game.

Goons take it seriously.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

lets talk about Some Game Developer as if we know him intimately.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hypnolobster posted:

lets talk about Some Game Developer as if we know him intimately.

Ummm you can @ him on twitter, how much more intimate can you GET??

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Macaluso posted:

Ummm you can @ him on twitter, how much more intimate can you GET??

Dinner, a movie and some spooning?

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
There are a lot of people in this thread taking things personally that no sane person would ever take seriously. If Notch sticking joke text in an undone ending in a pre-release of all things makes you rage, you seriously need to step back from the computer and take a long look at what went wrong in your life.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Just think how great the writing for future Mojang games will be.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Useless posted:

There are a lot of people in this thread taking things personally that no sane person would ever take seriously. If Notch sticking joke text in an undone ending in a pre-release of all things makes you rage, you seriously need to step back from the computer and take a long look at what went wrong in your life.

There is not a single person in this entire thread raging. Some people confused or who think it's pretty dumb/weird/out of place, but definitely no raging. Stop projecting your spergness. :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Just think how great the writing for future Mojang games will be.
I hope the flavor text on all the cards in Scrolls is taken from this. Just write it real tiny on there.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

IMO Minecraft really doesn't need an ending. 'The End' and some jaunty music and credits would be fine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After the end, are you deposited back at the Ender Portal, or at 0,0?

And does the ending replay if you go through again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Call me "supernerd" but I'd like to see a little developer room thingy like one of the Chrono Trigger endings