Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

That's been happening since they introduced the auto-zooming of images. poo poo's hosed and judging by how long it's been i'd guess they don't even know how to fix it themselves.

Well, it's probably just one of those things that annoy older users that new users don't even know is an issue.

Ctrl-click on any image used to mean "Save image."
Then ctrl-click became "open link in background tab". You can save images that are not links by ctrl-clicking on them, but if it's also a link, it will just open the link in a background tab.
Ctrl-alt click will save any image. Except ctrl-alt also means "drag to scroll", so sometimes if your cursor is not perfectly still, you'll just scroll the page by a couple of pixels :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's complete nonsense that they still haven't fixed it, but you can install this extension as a workaround and everything is gravy.

https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/extensions/details/image-autosizer/2.0/

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Huh, for some reason the "Reus current tab" option in the preferences had become disabled for my install. So, if your Opera started mysteriously opening new tabs for everything, including clicks on the Speed Dial, check that the option is actually still on.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Alright, despite better knowledge i've tried the latest alpha some more. Leaks memory like crazy (10 static tabs -> 2 GB of ram after a while), repeatedly forgets tab groups on restarts, the new "themes" replaces the "skins" section in all menus, themes are broken as they turn the window borderless, still has odd full cpu load spikes frequently while in use, and even when completely left alone for 10+ minutes (no flash running) it consumes 10% of a quadcore cpu and keeps accessing the disk every few seconds.

I've got 2(+) usb standalone versions installed which should be mostly identical, yet in one youtube videos often randomly skip to the end and the player refuses to display the 'buffered section' marker while the other behaves just fine. (Using the latest flash player, logged in or not, cosmic panda or not.) Also for some reason the youtube player (as opposed to other players) refuses to work when embedded in an RSS feed.

The Adblock extension and Youtube Extend are pretty drat great though. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, I've had similar instability from this alpha. Even after disabling hardware rendering, it just has a tendency to leak memory and hang for no reason. Earlier today I couldn't get it to start up, either. It'd just sit in the background and eat memory until I'd give up around 1GB and kill it. After trying that a few times I nuked my profile, which got it running again.

It's not unusable but I wouldn't recommend it.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
And oddly, I've had an entirely opposite experience. I installed it to tinker around expecting crashes, instability, etc - but it was so invisibly similar to 11.x that I just completely switched over.

The only thing I really, genuinely wish there was either official support, or an extension, for the ability that opening a new tab auto-groups it with any other tabs from that domain.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I'm using the latest Next build almost exclusively right now. No crashes so far, but the memory usage is a lot more than it used to be. However, I am literally not using this 4GB for much of anything else right now so this isn't a problem day-to-day. Hoping it gets resolved for the final release, of course.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Here's kind of a random question that I'm sure someone here knows the answer to. One of the things that annoys about Opera is that, if I'm typing something into the address bar and then i alt-tab to look at something and alt-tab back into Opera, it highlights the whole address bar instead of placing the cursor where it was, at the end of the text. Is there an option somewhere to prevent this? I'm getting sick of deleting my search queries. :(

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

Startacus posted:

Here's kind of a random question that I'm sure someone here knows the answer to. One of the things that annoys about Opera is that, if I'm typing something into the address bar and then i alt-tab to look at something and alt-tab back into Opera, it highlights the whole address bar instead of placing the cursor where it was, at the end of the text. Is there an option somewhere to prevent this? I'm getting sick of deleting my search queries. :(

You could hit the "end" button, or am I missing something?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I've finally started using the mail client after years and years of using opera, and for the most part it is pretty good. The only thing that bothers me is that to open it up you seem to have to click through panels, mail, unread, which is cumbersome and then opens up panels on all my tabs which I hate.

Is there any way to add "mail:unread" to the speed dial, or a shortcut I can assign, to get there much quicker.

Also for some reason it has started receiving duplicates of all my new googlemail emails. Any ideas?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

CancerCakes posted:

I've finally started using the mail client after years and years of using opera, and for the most part it is pretty good. The only thing that bothers me is that to open it up you seem to have to click through panels, mail, unread, which is cumbersome and then opens up panels on all my tabs which I hate.

Is there any way to add "mail:unread" to the speed dial, or a shortcut I can assign, to get there much quicker.

Also for some reason it has started receiving duplicates of all my new googlemail emails. Any ideas?

If you go to preferences (Ctrl+F12) > Advanced > Shortcuts, you can assign "Read Mail" to a keyboard shortcut (or even a mouse gesture). It will still open the panels (as they're pretty much necessary for labels, different accounts, and so on), but they close automatically when you change to another tab.

You can also add it as a shortcut to your menus somewhere convenient. Right click on a menu > Customize > appearance -> Buttons -> Mail, and drag the mail button wherever you want it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

RoadCrewWorker posted:

:techno:
So, turning off hardware acceleration fixed a couple of issues. Crunching down on unnecessary or outdated extensions helped as well. I've never had crashes anyway, but it looks like the mem leakage has gone down significantly, and the odd cpu usage has also sunk to bearable levels. It still has some minor nuisances, but otherwise it's perfectly usable to me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a keepass plugin for this? I'm sick of Firefox and Chrome.

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

It's complete nonsense that they still haven't fixed it, but you can install this extension as a workaround and everything is gravy.

https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/extensions/details/image-autosizer/2.0/

It's been fixed in Opera 12 alpha at least.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Tyrion posted:

You could hit the "end" button, or am I missing something?

Yea, you can just hit the arrow key and it goes to the end but I would rather change the default behavior. I'm lazy, okay...

I'll throw in a question about Opera Mail as well, is there a way to remap the delete key to archive? I never really delete emails from my Gmail account and instead just archive them all. I know that you can drag the email to the all mail folder but for some reason that folder is not showing up in my mail.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
There's a new 11.6 weekly out today that I've switched to (versus the 12.0 weekly I was one). I'm enjoying that it's not frequently unresponsive-for-no-reason like the 12.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
hardware acceleration seems great for me (i'm on an older gpu) but gmail and facebook are still jerky horrid messes :(

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
Did anyone else start having problems with gmail and Opera today? Whenever I try opening any of my emails, the only thing displayed in the body portion of the email is an adsense ad.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No problems here on 11.52.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Raften posted:

Did anyone else start having problems with gmail and Opera today? Whenever I try opening any of my emails, the only thing displayed in the body portion of the email is an adsense ad.

Yea, I just started having this issue today as well. Weird....

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Raften posted:

Well, isn't this some random horseshit?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The 11.6 build they just put up is supposed to address that, although I don't use gmail via the the website so I don't know if it worked, and this build seems to have made npr.org never finish loading, but only when it auto-refreshes.

[edit] And facebook fails to load sometimes too.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 13, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The recent Opera releases have had some horrible problems with certain sorts of javascript, at least as far as I can tell. It's pretty easy to check; if you disable it, a site that lags or doesn't load instantly snaps up. Unfortunately the upcoming gmail version lags like hell, and obviously turning javascript off isn't an... elegant solution for it meanwhile.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, I'm just giving up and going back to 11.52 stable for a while. Both the 11.6 and the 12 betas have horrible problems for me.

Be warned that you can't downgrade if you use Opera mail. I don't, and I still had to manually delete my mail profile folder to get rid of a warning dialog every startup.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Apparently the Gmail bug had something to do with Opera's Adblock extension. Heard this on another forum.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I'm running the 12 preview and no gmail problems here. It's slow, but it loads.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Weird, I use Firefox with Adblock Plus at work and started having Gmail problems too (couldn't load chat or display emails). Must be one of the filter lists playing up.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Apparently the Gmail bug had something to do with Opera's Adblock extension. Heard this on another forum.

Interesting.

Anyway, I'm not longer having the problem.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I forgot Dragonfly on overnight and, well, my megaramz (I have 2 windows with about 20 tabs total open)

But even at the peak, Opera was still usable (a bit slow, though, which made me check).

Anyway, that made me realize that holy poo poo Opera has been stable lately. I remember that a couple of years ago, if Opera ever approached 1 gig, it stopped showing images and started crashing.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Wheany posted:

Anyway, that made me realize that holy poo poo Opera has been stable lately. I remember that a couple of years ago, if Opera ever approached 1 gig, it stopped showing images and started crashing.

The images bit is mostly because they're not using the Win32 Gui API to render anymore.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Tunny is released! http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/2011/12/06/a-shiny-new-opera-11-60

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

They changed the default cursor over text to the text selection cursor right? It was the default cursor before? :raise:

molinari
May 13, 2005

gibbed posted:

They changed the default cursor over text to the text selection cursor right? It was the default cursor before? :raise:

I'm on 11.52. When I hover over text on a page the cursor is the default arrow. When I'm in a text field it is the text selection cursor.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

molinari posted:

I'm on 11.52. When I hover over text on a page the cursor is the default arrow. When I'm in a text field it is the text selection cursor.
Yeah, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. The default cursor for over any text is the text input / selection cursor now. Unless that's the result of an upgrade bug. It's sort of bugging me but I'm too lazy to change it.

molinari
May 13, 2005

gibbed posted:

Yeah, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. The default cursor for over any text is the text input / selection cursor now. Unless that's the result of an upgrade bug. It's sort of bugging me but I'm too lazy to change it.

I get the same behaviour after I upgraded. Seems like a deliberate change (probably the new rendering engine). I think it's for the better. Also, it now matches the behaviour in Chrome, Firefox, and IE.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

gibbed posted:

I'm pretty sure it's deliberate and it's really for the best if you do any text selection. While it wasn't exactly hard before, it's easier to grab text now.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Does amazon.co.uk look weird you fellows after this new update? The text seems strange in particular, as though it's zoomed out, but other sites look fine.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Chas McGill posted:

Does amazon.co.uk look weird you fellows after this new update? The text seems strange in particular, as though it's zoomed out, but other sites look fine.

The minimum font size setting was apparently removed.

Look at this text:goinggoinggone

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

http://gyazo.com/6a27e45a3713569052299ecf68184113

This is what it looks like to me. I don't visit amazon.co.uk all that often, so you're gonna have to judge for yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Wheany posted:

The minimum font size setting was apparently removed.

Look at this text:goinggoinggone

Aw, that last 'gone' is super cute. Still don't understand why it only seems to be a problem with that site.