Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finally finished my quasi home theater! Actually nearly everything was finished except the paint and posters which were done in the past few weeks.

Specs:
  • Epson 8350 Projector
  • Vutec 92" screen
  • Onkyo SR-607 Receiver
  • Polk Monitor 70 fronts
  • Polk CS2 Center
  • Polk PSW 505 Subwoofer
  • Random Onkyo HTIB rear speakers
  • Xbox 360
  • Wii
  • Asrock Ion 330-Pro HTPC running XBMC with Fusion skin
  • ~3TB Windows 7 file server
  • Logitech Harmony One
  • Z-Wave Intermatic lighting control
  • Palliser Pacifico furniture

I took some videos as well if anyone is interested. Always wanted to have a theater room in my home, never really imagined I'd get one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Strict 9 posted:

Finally finished my quasi home theater! Actually nearly everything was finished except the paint and posters which were done in the past few weeks.

Specs:
  • Polk Monitor 70 fronts
  • Polk PSW 505 Subwoofer

How do you like both of these? I was thinking about getting them for a 2.1 simple system for mainly music and occasionally movies.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kloa posted:

How do you like both of these? I was thinking about getting them for a 2.1 simple system for mainly music and occasionally movies.

I think they're excellent, especially for the price you can get them on sale from a place like Newegg. I actually went without the sub for about a year, and even that was ok because of the fourth tweeter those speakers have dedicated to bass. But for movies I'd absolutely recommend a sub. I think that one I got is actually a bit of overkill for that room (I originally had it setup in a room twice as big), but that's the only negative really.

gregday
May 23, 2003

That's a beautiful room.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What's with the lights under the chairs? I love the effect but it must look weird to others.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vintersorg posted:

What's with the lights under the chairs? I love the effect but it must look weird to others.

Foot lighting - I keep them on all the time in the evening so that you don't trip over anything, and they don't distract at all when watching something.

I uploaded a video of XBMC with Cinema Experience for anyone who hasn't worked with it before, it's pretty cool the things it can do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVeSWffOV6g

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Your video is set to private, just FYI.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Gunslinger posted:

Your video is set to private, just FYI.

Whups. Fixed, thanks.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Strict 9 posted:

Whups. Fixed, thanks.

That looks really neat, definitely something I'm interested in getting set up. Side note, but what skin are you using for XBMC? I really like the look of it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

GobiasIndustries posted:

That looks really neat, definitely something I'm interested in getting set up. Side note, but what skin are you using for XBMC? I really like the look of it.

That's Fusion, a really, really clean interface. Easily my favorite skin. I think the fanart-heavy skins are a bit played out nowadays. There's a subforum on the XBMC forums, and a recently updated mod of the skin called Fusion Migma that adds some features/options to the original (which hasn't been updated in awhile).

@Strict 9: are the animated clips custom made? Like the DTS and Feature Presentation clips. Those look really neat.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

Strict 9 posted:

I think they're excellent, especially for the price you can get them on sale from a place like Newegg. I actually went without the sub for about a year, and even that was ok because of the fourth tweeter those speakers have dedicated to bass. But for movies I'd absolutely recommend a sub. I think that one I got is actually a bit of overkill for that room (I originally had it setup in a room twice as big), but that's the only negative really.

You've inspired me to go ahead and pick that sub up. I've been running just the monitor 70 fronts for about two years and have no complaints they work great for me. Kept putting off the sub purchase and it looks like it has come down in price and Newegg has a 30.00 off promo code good through tommorrow.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GobiasIndustries posted:

EC posted:

That's Fusion, a really, really clean interface. Easily my favorite skin. I think the fanart-heavy skins are a bit played out nowadays. There's a subforum on the XBMC forums, and a recently updated mod of the skin called Fusion Migma that adds some features/options to the original (which hasn't been updated in awhile).

@Strict 9: are the animated clips custom made? Like the DTS and Feature Presentation clips. Those look really neat.

The skin is indeed Fusion, but one of the modified ones: Fusion Migma. Like EC mentioned, too many of the skins are pretty to look at but not all that functional. I wanted a skin that looked decent and allowed for efficient browsing.

As for the animated clips, the theater intro one was made at a website where you can type in your own phrase and it makes custom intros, like it replaces the word Pixar with whatever you type and then does the lamp intro. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it.

The other intros (feature presentation, DTS) are all from links from the Cinema Experience plugin thread.

mythadile posted:

You've inspired me to go ahead and pick that sub up. I've been running just the monitor 70 fronts for about two years and have no complaints they work great for me. Kept putting off the sub purchase and it looks like it has come down in price and Newegg has a 30.00 off promo code good through tommorrow.

Nice! I think you'll really appreciate how it compliments the Monitor 70's.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was a good deal at Futureshop (best buy) on the LG 55LV5400. I believe it's called the 5500 in the us market.

Anyways, it's a 55" LED LCD tv, very thin, edge lit with local dimming (edge dimming)

It uses an IPS display (The chevron pattern pixels) and the blacks are very good, as is screen uniformity.

I calibrated it myself and then followed cnet's professional calibration. Shadow detail is very good. I preferred a medium/neutral colour temperature to cnet's warm preference.

The video on screen is the Mountainbike film "Life Cycles". It's supposed to be a mtnbike movie, but appears to be more of a film student's wet dream. It works really well to demo a TV, as it has all sorts of film effects, oversaturation, and tons of black and white night time high contrast shots. As well as narrow depth of field macro type filming.

I would purchase the blu-ray instead of downloading a torrent as these are small time filmmakers doing films to a very niche market.

http://vimeo.com/14600175

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002
That TV looks mounted way too high, unless you like it like that.

On the flip side, nice stand. I'm assuming it's not floating but is being supported by that white faux wall?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Wormy Guy posted:

That TV looks mounted way too high, unless you like it like that.

On the flip side, nice stand. I'm assuming it's not floating but is being supported by that white faux wall?

It's not actually very high. I took the picture with the camera low to the ground. The bottom of the TV is about 4' from the floor, and the top is about 6.5'.

The shelf is floating. The faux wall is to hide the cable clutter. with 9 visible devices (10 once I get a new blu ray player) and a router, adsl modem, power bar etc, I couldn't manage the cables and keep them from view, so I went to home depot, cut a piece of thin vinyl board to fit and put it in there. Once I move, this setup will be in the living room with the devices on a rack.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

jonathan posted:

The video on screen is the Mountainbike film "Life Cycles".

Is it sad that I recognized the film from the screencap? It's the movie that finally convinced me to buy into bluray.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

jonathan posted:

It's not actually very high. I took the picture with the camera low to the ground. The bottom of the TV is about 4' from the floor, and the top is about 6.5'.

6.5' is actually quite high as TVs go.
Ideally, unless you have a huuuge projector screen forcing you to do it, you don't want your eyes lower than the middle of the screen when seated in viewing position. This is to avoid having to look up, since you can easily develop dry eyes (or a sore neck) when doing so.

Edit: I know I'm an ergonomics taliban. I just don't see the use in mounting your TV that high when it would have been so easily avoided in your case. Actually, it seems even THX has opinions, like you should not have to look up more than 15 degrees to see the top of the screen.

Edit 2: I'm putting this poo poo in the FAQ. It seems like every month there is someone posting a TV above a fireplace. (jonathan: You're hardly the worst example of this, don't worry. You'll be fine.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 5, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The stuff is here. Entertainment Center Complete!

Super happy with how everything turned out.

It's the Pioneer VSX-821-K with two Klipsch VF-35s.

These things actually sound really well, I need to get a quality CD player to add to this, but right now just playing things off the MP3 player sounds solid. These speakers sound great for how low priced they were, and the receiver was a breeze to set up.

I'll give a bit more thorough set of thoughts after I've had it all for a while.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Those walls would make me either want to kill or gently caress everything all the time. :)

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

That picture on the wall. Isn't that the one where it was revealed the chick on the right was actually a dude?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What confuses me is that is the most dorm-y picture ever but the room looks like it's in an okay house/apt.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The Dave posted:

What confuses me is that is the most dorm-y picture ever but the room looks like it's in an okay house/apt.

The other posters on the other wall are John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Charlie Parker, if that makes you feel better. I've had the Kiss poster forever and at this point neither myself or my fiancee even notice it. It's just become decorative at this point. The black and white lets it blend enough that it fits the White / Black / Red of the room. Better than having one of those color posters of a cowgirl in ripped rear end jeans bending over in a pickup.

e: Also yes, it's a pretty nice apartment. The molding needs replaced though, I'll get to that sometime during the winter.

ee: I'm also kind of sad nobody mentioned my duck :3:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 6, 2011

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
There's a duck? All I can see is a blinding mass of red. MURDER RED.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax
Staples in the baseboards bro???? Unforgiveable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Better than having one of those color posters of a cowgirl in ripped rear end jeans bending over in a pickup.

I honestly would say it's close to the same level.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Dave posted:

I honestly would say it's close to the same level.

yeah, sorry but it's still pretty freshman dorm.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

MMD3 posted:

yeah, sorry but it's still pretty freshman dorm.

Well too bad. It ain't your living room :colbert:

MAXIMUM SWEAT posted:

Staples in the baseboards bro???? Unforgiveable.

Coming out when the molding gets replaced.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

6.5' is actually quite high as TVs go.
Ideally, unless you have a huuuge projector screen forcing you to do it, you don't want your eyes lower than the middle of the screen when seated in viewing position. This is to avoid having to look up, since you can easily develop dry eyes (or a sore neck) when doing so.

Edit: I know I'm an ergonomics taliban. I just don't see the use in mounting your TV that high when it would have been so easily avoided in your case. Actually, it seems even THX has opinions, like you should not have to look up more than 15 degrees to see the top of the screen.

Edit 2: I'm putting this poo poo in the FAQ. It seems like every month there is someone posting a TV above a fireplace. (jonathan: You're hardly the worst example of this, don't worry. You'll be fine.)

Don't worry my feelings aren't hurt. I haven't had any complaints regarding the angle. the reason it's sitting how it is, is because I am a firm beliiver that the tweeter's in the speakers should be ear level. Since I can't mount the center channel behind the tv, I opted for the tv to be slightly above. It works for me and the girlfriend, but might not be for everyone.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Digital_Jesus posted:

Well too bad. It ain't your living room :colbert:

heh, by all means if your fiancee is cool with it then don't get rid of it on the advice of random internet dudes ;)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is it sad that I recognized the film from the screencap? It's the movie that finally convinced me to buy into bluray.

No(yes). You might want to check out the snowboard flick "That's it That's all" which is pretty nice on bluray too. Most expensive sports action movie, they hired helicopters to film the helicopters filming the boarders.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 7, 2011

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I'm glad I can finally contribute to this page after building a little generic media unit and upgrading my TV.

P1000928 by Reggie Died, on Flickr

P1000927 by Reggie Died, on Flickr

Fronts: Paradigm Titans (old school ones before they got upgraded to the Monitor line)
Center: Equivelant Paradigm center
Rears: Paradigm Titans
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5760
TV: LG 50PV450
Components:

PS3
Xbox360
Some Telus Cisco cable box
Random router

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
Live thread!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone looking for new Demo material for their home theatre would do well to try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4CUNVYxxZM

The Art of Flight

It's on Bluray, released in September. The soundtrack is varied, the intro is some dubstep song with bass that goes down below 20hz, and the picture quality is very good, although slightly unrealistically over saturated in some scenes.

quote:

The film follows the global travels of prominent American snowboarder Travis Rice—who also serves as narrator—to such exotic locales as Patagonia, Colorado, Wyoming, Alaska and British Columbia. The project is a first-of-its kind collaboration between Brain Farm Digital Cinema and Red Bull Media House—with audio implemented by Dolby Labs and George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch (another “first” for sports-action cinema). Color-correction was handled by Spy Post in San Francisco.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

jonathan posted:

Anyone looking for new Demo material for their home theatre would do well to try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4CUNVYxxZM

The Art of Flight

It's on Bluray, released in September. The soundtrack is varied, the intro is some dubstep song with bass that goes down below 20hz, and the picture quality is very good, although slightly unrealistically over saturated in some scenes.

Saw this mentioned on /film the other day, supposedly it makes very good use of 7.1 sound. Watched a bunch of trailers and it looks amazing.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Crappy mobilepics, but this is my little cave. Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor speakers with a Pathos Classic One Mk II amp. The other smaller ones are a Little Dot DAC_1 and a Little Dot Mk III Headphone amp used with some Sennheiser HD650s. I'm waiting for some feet to tilt the speakers abit.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007

iSimian posted:

Crappy mobilepics, but this is my little cave. Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor speakers with a Pathos Classic One Mk II amp. The other smaller ones are a Little Dot DAC_1 and a Little Dot Mk III Headphone amp used with some Sennheiser HD650s. I'm waiting for some feet to tilt the speakers abit.

Dude, so much about these pictures is awesome and wrong at the same time. I'm not sure how I should feel...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp, about to take the plunge and start collecting parts bit by bit for the new sound system.

Here is my plans:

Klipsch RF7 - II loudspeakers for the front 3 http://www.klipsch.com/product/75768.75788.85025.0.0/3688/_/RF-7_II_Floorstanding_Speaker

Reusing my Klipsch Synergy S2 surrounds for surrounds and backs (if I decide to go 7.1 otherwise just 5.1)
http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.6921.58803.0.0/90494071210/_/S-2_Surround_Speaker

Unsure which Pre/Pro I want to use. It's going to be something with Audyssey EQ though. Might choose that as my last item.

Amps will be Crown XLS Drivecores which are rediculously cheap for what you get.
I will be running the XLS 1500 for the left and right, XLS 1000 for the surrounds, and unsure about the center channel. Probably go with a single xls bridged, or go with the 1500 and also use it to power the subwoofer via the spare channel.

The RF7's are closer to a 6ohm speaker with a dip as low as 2.8ohms in the low frequencies, which is why I am using pro audio amps.

For subwoofers, I am thinking of going with something powered, like the SVS Cylinder subs http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_plus.cfm

Or for a bit more, I might go with a Danley DIY kit for a horn loaded subwoofer, which is good down to 10hz and can cause foundation issues with your house.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks to a recent re-fi I was able to upgrade all the active components in my 10-year-old home theater system:

TV: Sharp LC-70LE732U 70" LED 120 Hz (replaced Sanyo 51" rear projection)
Receiver: Denon AVR-1912 (replaced Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX)
Blu-Ray: Sharp BD-HP35U (replaced Pioneer BDP-51FD which I hated)
All-region DVD: Pioneer DV-610AV-S (replaced JVC VX-NA77XL)
Sub: Mirage Omni S-8 (Replaced JBL PowerBass BP12)
Center channel: Mirage OM-C3
Left and Right channels: Mirage OM-7
Left and Right surround and rear surround: 4 x Sonance dot5 surround

Everything is HDMI now, and the TV's HDMI channel 1 supports ARC and the TV supports DLNA so that when I play videos from my computers the audio is sent back out through the receiver to the surrounds. The receiver supports airplay so I can play music off my iphone through the surrounds. I had to add a Linksys (Cisco) wireless bridge for the receiver, since it didn't have built-in wireless and I didn't feel like punching a hole through the wall to run an ethernet cable.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

jonathan posted:

Here is my plans:

Klipsch RF7 - II loudspeakers for the front 3 http://www.klipsch.com/product/75768.75788.85025.0.0/3688/_/RF-7_II_Floorstanding_Speaker

Out of curiosity, why the RF7 over some the much cheaper models like the RF-62 or RF-82, especially since you're planning on getting an SVS sub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Screen: Sony KDL-55HX800
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1120
Fronts: Infinity Interlude IL10
Center: Infinity Interlude IL25C
Rears: Sonance M6R's (in ceiling)
Sub: HSU Research VTF-4 MK4

Went with the Sony TV last January because 1. we got a good deal on it, 2. the picture on it is quite good, and 3. the matte finish on it works very well in the room, where we have huge windows on the opposite wall and tons of natural light.

The receiver reviewed well and shares some of its processing and output stage with same-year lower-end Pioneer Elite models. Also got a hell of a deal on it and it is worlds better than the ancient Technics receiver it replaced.

My Interludes I've had forever. They may get replaced next year with Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1's... they may not. I honestly think they're fabulous little monitors to this day for the money.

The surrounds were a compromise at first. We have a narrow room (I took that shot standing off to the side of the couch, which is against the opposing wall), and the other pair of IL10's on stands was just burning too much floor space. Sonance makes some crazy good in-wall and in-ceiling stuff at many, many price points. The M6R's are a re-model-numbering of one of their mid-tier 6.5 sets (Best Buy does this re-model-numbering crap all the time). I say compromise at first because once they were in... they throw one of the most amazing near-field surround stages I've ever heard. They are fantastic and will do every bit of 50hz at volume.

That brings me to the sub. I've had it for what... 80 days now? Flat out amazing. Pure insanity at your beckoning. I run it pretty conservative, usually sealed. For movies though, one port open and this thing hammers. Either way I've tested and measured levels on par with reference of the rest of the system down to 15hz. At full tilt during movies this means 110db, and it never sounds like it's even trying. When first doing test tone SPL measurements I found the 16hz hotspot in the room, back over in a corner. SPL meter registered 126db and I could feel the walls undulating. Hopefully the last sub I'll ever own. Output and sound quality on it are just perfect.

As for inputs... DIRECTV, Xbox 360, old dvd player, old samsung bluray player, my laptop sometimes.

Finally, there's a little 100 watt AudioSource amp hid under there that runs bridged against the 6 speakers out along the patio in back off of Zone 2 on the receiver. Solid little amp and handles complex resistance loads very well.

Oh, for giggles here's my HSU in action. My DSLR's microphone can't exactly pick up organ pedal tones, but whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdPMyzOODnE