Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I've become addicted to adventure time. It's so charming with playing its D&D'ness straight. Although I can't not hear Starfire whenever Princess Bubblegum talks. I know her voice actress can do a lot of voices but it's literally the same voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Did that Aquabats cartoon ever air on The Hub? I watched the pilot and it looked pretty drat cool.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Zeether posted:

Did that Aquabats cartoon ever air on The Hub? I watched the pilot and it looked pretty drat cool.

I know it's been picked up for Hub's 2011-2012 lineup. They've got thirteen episodes ordered, but they haven't started airing them yet. The only thing I've heard is that it'll premiere this fall.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:siren: IMPORTANT '90S ARE ALL THAT ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

Cry Baby Lane, the infamous made-for-TV movie, is on tonight. It's almost over now (at least in the Eastern time zone), but it will be back on at 2:00 EST. Unfortunately, the forums will probably be under maintenance at that time, so there won't be a running thread about it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

:siren: IMPORTANT '90S ARE ALL THAT ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

Cry Baby Lane, the infamous made-for-TV movie, is on tonight. It's almost over now (at least in the Eastern time zone), but it will be back on at 2:00 EST. Unfortunately, the forums will probably be under maintenance at that time, so there won't be a running thread about it.

I haven't heard about this one. What's it about and why is it so notorious?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

readingatwork posted:

I haven't heard about this one. What's it about and why is it so notorious?

It's about a legend involving a pair of conjoined twins- one good, one evil. Also, Jim Gaffigan is in it. Someone online rediscovered a VHS tape of its only airing and put it up online, creating a fueling of interest of it, as well as springing up an urban legend that the reason it only aired once is because it was banned afterwards for being too scary. TeenNick played along with that legend in promoting the airing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The plot is that two brothers play a prank on three girls in a graveyard and awaken the spirit of of an evil Siamese twin boy. Then the spirit spreads to the people of the town and the younger brother has to release the spirit of the good twin to save everybody. Jim Gaffigan is in it, but he's in it for two minutes and has something like three lines.

It's not a very well-acted movie, and some of the characters are poorly made, but I'll give it one thing: it's pretty drat creepy. It spooked me out and I'm 24- imagine somebody half my age seeing it. As Stick Stickley said before the movie started, it was aired only once because parents said it was too scary. Personally, I don't blame them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tonight's U Pick With Stick lineup:

12:00AM EST - The Secret World of Alex Mack
12:30AM EST - The Wild Thornberrys
1:00AM EST - Salute Your Shorts
1:30AM EST - Hey Arnold!

Didn't Jessica Alba play a mean girl on Alex Mack?

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

thelaughingman posted:

Does anybody watch Generator Rex?

edit: other than me of course. :blush:

I really enjoy it. They really changed things up this season. I can't wait to see where they go with this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just wanted to remind everyone in this thread that the hour long Green Lantern cartoon is on in about an hour.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

readingatwork posted:

Also, jumping on the Johnny Test hate wagon because gently caress that show.

Jesus Jumped-Up Christ, what is wrong with Johnny Test. Because gently caress That Show.

Why is it so loving ugly? Why is everything so poorly animated? Why is there a GODDAMN loving whip sound effect every time anybody does anything? Why? Why? WHY?

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 12, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think Canada mandates domestic content, which in and of itself is not a horrible thing (I am one of those people who liked Total Drama X), but which often results in extremely sub-bar content like Johnny Test. I mean, that show must cost nothing per episode, and they can license it to us for peanuts, but still make money.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Of all the things I thought I would never see, this was one of them. :psyduck:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Why is it so loving ugly? Why is everything so poorly animated? Why is there a GODDAMN loving whip sound effect every time anybody does anything? Why? Why? WHY?

Am I the only one who read that in Robotnik's voice? I can't be the only one...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Vaerai Archon posted:

My understanding is that Lauren Faust has nothing to do with MLP anymore, but apparently she and Craig McCracken are hardcore Big Lebowski fans. I believe the likenesses actually showed up in Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends once.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

IRQ posted:

I think Canada mandates domestic content, which in and of itself is not a horrible thing (I am one of those people who liked Total Drama X), but which often results in extremely sub-bar content like Johnny Test. I mean, that show must cost nothing per episode, and they can license it to us for peanuts, but still make money.

Johnny Test is the styrofoam packing peanut of television animation: no content, almost no substance, and no real redeeming value, but it serves its purpose, fills space, is incredibly cheap to produce, and can be reused forever.

Also, Canadian domestic production mandates were also responsible for The Raccoons, so it's hard to criticize them.

HypnoCabbage fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 12, 2011

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

DivisionPost posted:

My understanding is that Lauren Faust has nothing to do with MLP anymore, but apparently she and Craig McCracken are hardcore Big Lebowski fans. I believe the likenesses actually showed up in Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends once.

Yep, in a bowling-themed episode called "The Big Lablooski" no less.

On an unrelated (and incredibly stupid) note, has anyone accused Fraggle Rock of being racist before? Well, they have now.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

mobo85 posted:

On an unrelated (and incredibly stupid) note, has anyone accused Fraggle Rock of being racist before? Well, they have now.

Yeah, because Jim Henson was definitely the type of guy to slip in a racial slur that doesn't even make sense in context. Also, apparently he's so good at it that nobody discovered it for almost 30 years. :rolleyes:

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Vaerai Archon posted:

And Jesus as well!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tartarus Sauce posted:

And Jesus as well!

Haha, I didn't catch that one. I totally did catch The Dude and backed up the DVR to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

HypnoCabbage posted:

Yeah, because Jim Henson was definitely the type of guy to slip in a racial slur that doesn't even make sense in context. Also, apparently he's so good at it that nobody discovered it for almost 30 years. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah! Because somebody who sets out to make a show about four wildly different species being completely worthy in-and-of-themselves, as well as absolutely vital to one another, is totally going to be the type to sneak in obscure racial slurs.

(Seriously, to my mind, most white people looking to sneak in a mean easter egg would tend to aim for the n-tastic crown jewel of racial slurs, and not for slurs that only our grandparents remember.)

In fact, I don't think you can get much less racist than the Jim Henson Creature Shop, in terms of content, without journeying over into the realm of disingenuous political correctness. Sesame Street had people of all colours before that was cool.

"Why would you edit if it's [sic] a mistake?" Because otherwise, they're worried that you'll whine, cry, and worst of all, sue them until the end of time if they don't, you idiot. You've put them in a lose-lose situation.

Reminds me of people who believed that McDonalds was secretly selling Kidzbop CDs with the F-Bomb (never mind that, even sans dirty words, a lot of the songs on Kidzbop CDs are still weirdly kid-unfriendly, just by virtue of their content--and, some actually become more troubling after being edited):

http://lebanonchatter.com/showthread.php?t=14662

Well, and the dismissive and paranoid response to the official transcript/lyrics reminds me of how Creationists, Global Warming Deniers, and conspiracy theorists typically react when presented with the "Official Account." "My heart tells me XYZ, and your mean n' nasty 'facts' can't convince me otherwise!"

On the other hand, if the government let some of your people waste away from syphilis under the guise of treating it, you might be more inclined to assume or believe that Jim Henson's trying to subliminally insult you, just for shits and giggles...

(But then, what's the deeper significance or meaning of the Kidzbop incident? Do people assume that the media's so focused on selling sex and EEEEEVIL that McDonalds will just sneak curses into kiddie music just because?)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 13, 2011

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Friendly reminder that Dexter's Lab was ahead of Axe Cop and Half Life: Full Life Consequences by over a decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUPPvuz8wgo

Though considering Adventure Time did an entire gender-swap episode based on a fan comic the spirit is still alive at Cartoon Network, it seems.

Also, the kid who made that is old enough to drink by now.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I love how the animation pokes gentle fun at when the kid has lost his train of thought. "And Dexter said...[awkward pause]"

Also, what fan comic? The Fionna and Cake character designs were by Natasha Allegri, an artist for the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Oh yeah! Because somebody who sets out to make a show about four wildly different species being completely worthy in-and-of-themselves, as well as absolutely vital to one another, is totally going to be the type to sneak in obscure racial slurs.

(Seriously, to my mind, most white people looking to sneak in a mean easter egg would tend to aim for the n-tastic crown jewel of racial slurs, and not for slurs that only our grandparents remember.)

In fact, I don't think you can get much less racist than the Jim Henson Creature Shop, in terms of content, without journeying over into the realm of disingenuous political correctness. Sesame Street had people of all colours before that was cool.

"Why would you edit if it's [sic] a mistake?" Because otherwise, they're worried that you'll whine, cry, and worst of all, sue them until the end of time if they don't, you idiot. You've put them in a lose-lose situation.

Reminds me of people who believed that McDonalds was secretly selling Kidzbop CDs with the F-Bomb (never mind that, even sans dirty words, a lot of the songs on Kidzbop CDs are still weirdly kid-unfriendly, just by virtue of their content--and, some actually become more troubling after being edited):

http://lebanonchatter.com/showthread.php?t=14662

Well, and the dismissive and paranoid response to the official transcript/lyrics reminds me of how Creationists, Global Warming Deniers, and conspiracy theorists typically react when presented with the "Official Account." "My heart tells me XYZ, and your mean n' nasty 'facts' can't convince me otherwise!"

On the other hand, if the government let some of your people waste away from syphilis under the guise of treating it, you might be more inclined to assume or believe that Jim Henson's trying to subliminally insult you, just for shits and giggles...

(But then, what's the deeper significance or meaning of the Kidzbop incident? Do people assume that the media's so focused on selling sex and EEEEEVIL that McDonalds will just sneak curses into kiddie music just because?)

Islam is the light.

I believe Henson explicitly designed Fraggle Rock to teach kids not to be racist, as its social organization is pretty much a perfectly functional celebration of multiculturalism. I honestly think that show might have played a role in helping me to escape the belief system of my horrible racist family, along with my local library and PBS programming. So thank you, Jim Henson.

God knows what would have happened to me if I had been raised by Johnny Test.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mobo85 posted:

Also, what fan comic? The Fionna and Cake character designs were by Natasha Allegri, an artist for the show.

Yeah, I keep seeing all over that it was "fan service," but it was an animator on the show who came up with the whole thing all along. Eh.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

God knows what would have happened to me if I had been raised by Johnny Test.

Probably not much actually. We all liked some pretty stupid poo poo as a kid. Frankly, compared to some of the crap float floating around in my day Johnny Test isn't really that bad:
-Clarisa Explains it all (not as terrible as I remember it being)
-Salute Your Shorts
-Hammerman (No, really. A cartoon about a superhero MC Hammer)
-Kwicky Koala
-Chuck Noris and the Karate Commandos
-The Flinstone Kids
-The Snorks (Was this one actually bad? I just remember being bored to death by it as a kid)
-A Pup Named Scooby Doo (removed due to it doing something genuinely clever)

And these are just the ones I remember. Frankly nostalgia aside kids have it pretty good today.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 14, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I had to see what all the hubbub was about Johnny Test so I watched a random clip on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNQrEN6L32I&feature=fvst

Is the entire show *character does a thing* Johnny Test: You just did that thing!!

edit: What in the. A Pup Named Scooby Doo was great :colbert: the original Scooby Doo was garbage.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
gently caress anyone who mentions a pup named scooby doo

because every single time it's mentioned I get the damned theme song stuck in my head. I haven't seen an ep in YEARS and I can still sing the whole theme song. And it is, indeed awesome.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^HAHAHAHA. Here. For anyone who didn't immediately know what he's talking about.
:devil:

Macaluso posted:

So I had to see what all the hubbub was about Johnny Test so I watched a random clip on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNQrEN6L32I&feature=fvst

Is the entire show *character does a thing* Johnny Test: You just did that thing!!

Yes. Also: *Whipcrack!*

The worst part though is the way show really seems to think it has some sort of "hip hop gangsta appeal" to it but in reality is just empty to the bone and awkward beyond words.

quote:

edit: What in the. A Pup Named Scooby Doo was great :colbert: the original Scooby Doo was garbage.

They were both garbage if you ask me but I'll give it another shot for nostalgia's sake. If an episode ends with the culprit actually being Red Harry for once I'll give the show a pass.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 14, 2011

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

readingatwork posted:

\
They were both garbage if you ask me but I'll give it another shot for nostalgia's sake. If an episode ends with the culprit actually being Red Harry for once I'll give the show a pass.

He was for exactly one episode.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I thought his name was Red Herring.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

readingatwork posted:

Probably not much actually. We all liked some pretty stupid poo poo as a kid. Frankly, compared to some of the crap float floating around in my day Johnny Test isn't really that bad:
-Clarisa Explains it all
-Salute Your Shorts
-Hammerman (No, really. A cartoon about a superhero MC Hammer)
-Kwicky Koala
-Chuck Noris and the Karate Commandos
-The Flinstone Kids (
-The Snorks (Was this one actually bad? I just remember being bored to death by it as a kid)
-A Pup Named Scooby Doo

And these are just the ones I remember. Frankly nostalgia aside kids have it pretty good today.

Why is Clarissa Explains It All on this list? That show was legit awesome.

Dr Tran posted:

I thought his name was Red Herring.

It was. That show was smarter than we give it credit for.

Also, I'm finally getting in on this whole "The '90s Are All That" thing, and I still know every single word to the All That theme song. Also, this is funnier than the SNL I watched last night.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Yoshifan823 posted:

Why is Clarissa Explains It All on this list? That show was legit awesome.

Because his opinions are wrong:colbert:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, watching that old episode of All That has really reminded me just how good Kenan and Kel (and Loribeth Denburg, but she's long gone, careerwise) were even when they were younger. Also, I am still a child when it comes to my sense of humor, because Vital Information for Your Every Day Life made me laugh hysterically.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Neo Helbeast posted:

Because his opinions are wrong:colbert:

I didn't like it at the time. Though looking at it again via YouTube it's better than I give it credit for. That's what I get for talking smack from memory rather than just looking things up again.

Oh well. List amended.

Speaking of shows that are better than I remember them being holy poo poo the opening to Mighty Max! Not bad for a chronically 90's show about a boy and his ancient Egyptian magic hat.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

readingatwork posted:

I didn't like it at the time. Though looking at it again via YouTube it's better than I give it credit for. That's what I get for talking smack from memory rather than just looking things up again.

Oh well. List amended.

Speaking of shows that are better than I remember them being holy poo poo the opening to Mighty Max! Not bad for a chronically 90's show about a boy and his ancient Egyptian magic hat.

Here, I'll give you one to add to the list: James Bond Jr.

Yes, that was a thing, but I refuse to provide a YouTube on general principle.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

readingatwork posted:

Oh well. List amended.

I loved that show, but the ending? :argh:

For a while, I actually watched it to see if there were differences, not realizing that was just the series finale.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
For anybody who says kids have it better these days may I present counter point exhibit A, B and C.

Winx Club.

A show that is so cheaply made that they don't have sound for their special attacks. Also every stereotype imaginable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJ4Qq-eMQg&feature=related

It's been renewed for a Sixth season.

Also Sailor Moon.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 14, 2011

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Yoshifan823 posted:

You know, watching that old episode of All That has really reminded me just how good Kenan and Kel (and Loribeth Denburg, but she's long gone, careerwise) were even when they were younger. Also, I am still a child when it comes to my sense of humor, because Vital Information for Your Every Day Life made me laugh hysterically.

Lori Beth Denberg absolutely kills me in every Island Girls sketch. I'm honestly surprised that All That and Kenan & Kel have held up pretty well compared to shows I remember liking as a kid like Hey Dude or even Rocko.

Also watching Repairman sketches now compared to when I was a kid is kind of amusing I guess. When I was a kid I loved them because hey goofy destruction but watching it now I love them because it comes off more like the adventures of a dangerous loving psychotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Salute Your Shorts doesn't belong on that list for the theme song alone.

Yoshifan823 posted:

These days, I'm not much of a fan of Vital Information, and even less of a fan of Pierre Escargot. It's too bad, I liked them as a kid. "Cooking With Randy and Mandy" still gets me, though- in fact, it's gotten even better with age, since some celebrity chefs aren't really that far removed from their antics. Replace their chocolate gimmick with a "fry everything" gimmick and voila, you've got Paula Deen.

Speaking of live-action shows with kid stars, I'd love to see a "where are they now?" segment on The '90s Are All That with actors from such shows. You'd be surprised what child and teen stars do after they leave the spotlight- the kid who played the main character in Searching For Bobby Fischer became a congressional staffer.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 14, 2011