Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

and, to a lesser extent, Year of the Goat (though I'm getting tired of them).

Do they have anything besides Lucem Ferre? I really enjoyed that this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Defiant Sally posted:

Ive been blasting some good death metal tapes lately and most recently the new Vallenfyre album. Im in the mood for some more stuff with that sick chainsaw guitar tone like you hear in Bloodbath and Vallenfyre. Any suggestions?

Some goon many pages ago posted his band "Cult of Endtime" which also has this guitar tone and I loving love it. poo poo owns for lifting weights.

Preferably in the same style, tempo, etc. but im not picky.

Bands like Infernal Revulsion, Isacaarum, God Amongst Insects, Paganizer, Vomitory, Helcaraxë and Skinless come to mind.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Monkeytime posted:

Do they have anything besides Lucem Ferre? I really enjoyed that this year.

Nope. Not yet.

Defiant Sally posted:

Ive been blasting some good death metal tapes lately and most recently the new Vallenfyre album. Im in the mood for some more stuff with that sick chainsaw guitar tone like you hear in Bloodbath and Vallenfyre. Any suggestions?

Literally any Swedish death metal band between 1990 and 1995? Both of those bands are just ripping off/paying tribute to the old swedish sound. If you would rather listen to newer bands instead of Dismember, (early) Unleashed, Nihilist/Entombed, Grave (demo version of into the grave here for anyone who hasn't heard it - shits all over the album version) and the countless others out there (eg. Traumatic, Edge of Sanity, Bloodstone, Gorement, Nirvana 2002.... it is an almost endless list.)

If you must listen to newer bands, then the likes of Repugnant, Death Breath, Miasmal, Morbus Chron will appeal. Hell there's even now plenty of reformed bands floating about - Interment stand out there.

I'm totally serious about the first bit though, just about any band worth a poo poo from sweden playing death metal in the early 90s sounds exactly like bloodbath, except they're usually about 10x better.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I don't know of any music by this band, but they were mentioned in the Napalm Records newsletter.
You gotta admit, they know what to use to get the attention from male metal fans

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=297861746890574&set=a.206030612740355.56947.119627764713974&type=3&theater

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Gr31lly pretty much nailed it all, but to add another band who just has that feel to them would be Funebrarum. The only difference here is that they have a little more doom and slower structured death metal mixed in with that chainsaw buzz.

Their entire discography is pretty stellar, but if you're looking for more fast-paced material like the song I linked, then check out their album "The Sleep Of Morbid Dreams". "Beneath The Columns Of Abandoned Gods" is a great album, but it might be a bit slower than what you're looking for. The split Funebrarum did with Interment is also pretty great on both sides, so definitely check that out if you can.

Another band would be Putrevore, which has Rogga Johansson on guitar and bass and Dave Rotten from Avulsed on vocals. Their album "Morphed From Deadbreath" absolutely crushes in a simplistic Swedish death metal style.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gorilla Radio posted:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/headbang-blog.aspx?feat=100db566-01e7-4dfd-9a46-4a744a92c4eb

Black Sabbath are getting back together with all the original members. New studio album? World tour? gently caress yes. I'm so excited to see them live.

Ozzy is the worst thing I've ever seen live, but I'd still go out and scream for em.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Bushmeister posted:

Bands like Infernal Revulsion, Isacaarum, God Amongst Insects, Paganizer, Vomitory, Helcaraxë and Skinless come to mind.

Gr31lly posted:

Nope. Not yet.

Literally any Swedish death metal band between 1990 and 1995? Both of those bands are just ripping off/paying tribute to the old swedish sound. If you would rather listen to newer bands instead of Dismember, (early) Unleashed, Nihilist/Entombed, Grave (demo version of into the grave here for anyone who hasn't heard it - shits all over the album version) and the countless others out there (eg. Traumatic, Edge of Sanity, Bloodstone, Gorement, Nirvana 2002.... it is an almost endless list.)

If you must listen to newer bands, then the likes of Repugnant, Death Breath, Miasmal, Morbus Chron will appeal. Hell there's even now plenty of reformed bands floating about - Interment stand out there.

I'm totally serious about the first bit though, just about any band worth a poo poo from sweden playing death metal in the early 90s sounds exactly like bloodbath, except they're usually about 10x better.

Awesome, thanks to both of you, all of this poo poo rules. I already loved Edge of Sanity though, if I ever see a Crimson III my head would probably explode.

I knew that Bloodbath is a tribute to the old school death sound so, I just kinda used them as a reference point. My exposure to older swedish death is extremely small, so I really just had no idea who the gently caress to look for.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Non Serviam posted:

The weirdness of DSO is hard to replicate.
I've seen a couple of bands that come close.
Some songs by Iwrestledabearonce do have a similar avant-garde theme, in the sense of making weird changes in rhythm. The singing style, however, is of a more "death metal style", at least for the most part.
A more appropriate recommendation would be UneXpect. They're hard to listen at first, but it's definitely worth the shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piaIjkxNjaY

Also, I'll try Stolen Babies, since I had never heard of them.

From a couple of pages back, but I have no idea whether I like this or not. I've listened to Flesh Aquarium 5 or 6 times and I can get into some parts when I have it on in the background while studying but overall it's just confusing.

I feel like Fables of a Sleepless Empire tweaked their sound to be just close enough to normal parameters to be enjoyable, and I'm enjoying it more so far, though I feel like it will take 10 or 20 listens before I truly appreciate the songs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Defiant Sally posted:

Some goon many pages ago posted his band "Cult of Endtime" which also has this guitar tone and I loving love it. poo poo owns for lifting weights.

I hadn't heard Vallenfyre until now, but I'll listen to anything with chainsaw guitars. Sounds sick, listened to a few songs and I will need to get the album.

Are you looking primarily for slower death/doom stuff with the guitar aesthetics of the old Stockholm sound, or anything with a similar guitar tone over-saturated with distortion? Are you familiar with any of the recent Dismember/Entombed/Grave clones? Hail of Bullets have the chainsaw tone with more modern production, mostly a faster tempo though. Asphyx albums with MvD are musically similar with a similar guitar sound, not quite the chainsaw. Entrails mostly match up with the chainsaw death/doom feeling I get from that. Miasmal are probably a bit off-target, but they came to mind.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Gene Hoglan playing with Testament is so sick. Jose the DJ from Sirius XM Liquid Metal was there last night, the dude looked almost exactly as I had pictured him in my mind haha. Eddie Trunk was there to run up on stage drunkenly and yell into the mic a couple times too.

Varg fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 13, 2011

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Orbital Sapling posted:

They're definitely a very unique band, their debut album is one of my favourite albums of all time. The closest I've come to them in terms of style would be Stolen Babies, they're not quite the same, but maybe they'll do the job for you. I remember reading that the dude who writes DSO's music is a big fan of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpxesBrb8Ag

Holy poo poo, thanks for this, Stolen Babies are awesome, I was really needing something fresh to listen to. :D

e: fresh as in "I never heard of them" ^^

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Defiant Sally posted:

Entrails and Zombie Inc. are two newer retro-stockholm bands that you should check out as well as perhaps Black September. The first two aren't really doing anything new but I really, really dig Entrails' new album.

edit: also despite being both Finnish and grindcore, Rotten Sound are proponents of the Boss HM2 and so have the same buzzsaw guitar tone.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Is there anything like !T.O.O.H!?
I'm not really a fan of grindcore/deathgrind/whatever the gently caress you want to call that but the way they mix the grindy clusterfucks with riffs and solos that wouldn't feel out of place on an Iron Maiden album really appeals to me somehow.
The vocals certainly help too,I never was fond of straight-up growling and the manic way the guy sings really fits in well.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Capilarean posted:

I'm not really a fan of grindcore/deathgrind/whatever the gently caress you want to call that but the way they mix the grindy clusterfucks with riffs and solos that wouldn't feel out of place on an Iron Maiden album really appeals to me somehow.
The vocals certainly help too,I never was fond of straight-up growling and the manic way the guy sings really fits in well.
Augury is probably the closest I can think of, but they're not very close.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I think it was Gr31lly that recommended them, but whoever did, thanks for the recommendation on Woods of Desolation. They've been ripping up my playlists for awhile now.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

Misogynist posted:

Augury is probably the closest I can think of, but they're not very close.

Incidentally, Augury is loving incredible.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Capilarean posted:

There's always Duobetic Homunkulus which has members of !T.O.O.H.! They've released one demo and put it online for free a while back, I have no idea if it's still easy to get ahold of.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Orbital Sapling posted:

Incidentally, Augury is loving incredible.

Never heard these guys before but goddamn :pcgaming:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Capilarean posted:

If you want a mix of grindy noise and awesome sweeping operatic choruses, check out Anaal Nathrakh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rymgm3jcuWc

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

While on the topic of grind that isn't really grind, Frightmare are way too fun to not listen to. I don't think I'll ever tire of that outro solo.

There's also Impaled Nazarene if you want black metal with a grind candy coating.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Man I wish there were a good place to buy metal hoodies online. At this rate I'm going to end up buying a plain hoodie and sewing a back patch on it.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Some great tips guys,definitely gonna be checking Anaal Nathrakh and Frightmare!

On a completely different note,has anybody noticed Hell?(It's not exactly a new release by now but I haven't found anything about it in the last thread,hope I'm not making a moron out of myself.)Guess it's not for everybody seeing as it's essentially late-ish NWOBHM,but even if it's not your thing the story behind it is pretty awesome.

Not to mention that the video couldn't be more hilariously cheesy if they tried. Seriously,have they been rummaging in Cradle of Filth's garbage cans for clothes?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

QPZIL posted:

Man I wish there were a good place to buy metal hoodies online. At this rate I'm going to end up buying a plain hoodie and sewing a back patch on it.

Go to shows.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

QPZIL posted:

There's plenty of distros really. I mean, sure it depends on the (sub)genre (and location), but generally speaking if a band actually has merch it's quite easy to get. Your only real issue is figuring out how reliable the person you're buying from is, but if you check around you can usually find out fairly quickly who the rip-offs are.

What bands are you looking for merch from?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Gr31lly posted:

Your only real issue is figuring out how reliable the person you're buying from is, but if you check around you can usually find out fairly quickly who the rip-offs are.

This is very important. I bought a Carpathian Forest t-shirt from a Totally Legit E-Bay store, and the screen on the front is a solid 2 inches off center.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

If you're in Providence, RI or Boston there are a couple small stores that stock death, black and all the other genres. I was at one today and it was kinda cool flipping through the vinyl and seeing Cannabis corpse, hellhammer, Agalloch, and Sigh. It's called Armageddon Shop.

I left with the Nachtmystium Assassins pt 1 LP. So excited to hear it on vinyl.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Looks like no one has posted a video of it, but what bands sound similar to "Invocate the Tempests to Castigation" by Cephalectomy from Eclipsing the Dawn, and would it be worth checking out?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I don't know if these guys have been discussed but I've been digging Beyond Creation a lot lately. I think it's the fretless bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MzAnRLfZOY

It's especially satisfying finding this band seeing how little I cared for Obscura's release earlier this year.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Not Very Metal posted:

This is very important. I bought a Carpathian Forest t-shirt from a Totally Legit E-Bay store, and the screen on the front is a solid 2 inches off center.
My old drummer showed up to practice a few years ago totally stoked that his Images and Words tour shirt that he bought on eBay finally showed up.

It says "DREAM THEATHER" on the back.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

If you're in Providence, RI or Boston there are a couple small stores that stock death, black and all the other genres. I was at one today and it was kinda cool flipping through the vinyl and seeing Cannabis corpse, hellhammer, Agalloch, and Sigh. It's called Armageddon Shop.

I left with the Nachtmystium Assassins pt 1 LP. So excited to hear it on vinyl.

Wow I've lived near boston my entire loving life and I had no idea this place was in harvard. You have made my day.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
I don't know if this has made the rounds here yet, but I'll be damned if this isn't hilarious on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQin6rnTzYQ

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Relapse Records has a ton of good merch. At MDF they always have one of the best booths and I always end up spending a ton of money on them. I've order from them online a couple times and had no problems. Their poo poo is good quality and AFAIK it's all licensed.

Also Hell's Headbangers is pretty awesome too. They're a little more underground and a great place for merch. I've bought a ton of poo poo from them and I have some friends that probably spend $1000 on poo poo from them over the course of a year. No complaints. I got a pretty bad rear end Beherit hoodie from them last year which I wear when it's cold enough out.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Not Very Metal posted:

I have a few shirts bought from "reputable" places with off-center or crooked printing. JSRdirect handles official merch for a lot of big metal bands, but their quality is poo poo. I have a Death shirt and the print is a few inches off center and tilted at least 15 degrees, and a Morbid Angel shirt from them that's 3" shorter than most XL shirts and the print wore out really quickly. I haven't bought anything from them or anyone supplied by them for about five years, but most of the shirts I've gotten from them had problems with them.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
90% of metal prints are crap compared to normal retail items. Off-centre prints, ludicrously overprinted shirts (too glossy, or with gobs of material on the print), or underprinted, poor material shirt/hoodie as base - and the sizing is dependent on these (eg. Gildan verus Fruit of the Loom).

None of that is what I meant by reliable.

A lot of the t-shirts on ebay and in some distros (especially South American, Greek and Eastern Block based) are bootlegs (ie. they're not sanctioned by the band or label). These aren't necessarily of lesser quality, and can, for older bands or t-shirts long out of print, be your only avenue aside from making your own. Again, that isn't a question of reliability.

By rip-off/unreliable, what I meant was a distro or site that will take your cash and either (a) never ship anything, (b) take years to ship anything, (c) ship you the wrong item/design and ask you to pay return postage for the replacement (this is usually just to try and fob you off with stock they can't clear since a fair percentage of people will just cut their losses and keep the incorrect item).

The only hoodies I have ever seen that are 100% top quality prints and materials are the Blasphemy ones from Ross Bay Cult. They are not cheap.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Plastichead sells GREAT merch. And usually designs I don't see on other sites like JSR and the rest. You pay for it, but it is 100% worth the money.

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922
Gentlemen!

Allow me to direct your attention to RED FANG.
It's my humble opinion that Red Fang is taking metal in the greatest possible direction and NOW THIS

Say what you will about Mastodon, but it's easily a worthy show just for Red Fang.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Warlord Clothing based out of LA also makes a good showing at MDF. (And a bunch of Euro fests, so they're efficient!) All their stuff is licensed and they are really reasonable. I think they mostly deal in regular T shirts, but might have some hoodies online.

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT
while we're on the topic, does anyone know any distributors that regularly stock men's xs t-shirts? I can never buy any shirts because they don't print my size.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Sovietski posted:

Gentlemen!

Allow me to direct your attention to RED FANG.
It's my humble opinion that Red Fang is taking metal in the greatest possible direction and NOW THIS

Say what you will about Mastodon, but it's easily a worthy show just for Red Fang.

Missed that show because of an anniversary date with my girlfriend. Red Fang is local, so I'll catch them soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

Plastichead sells GREAT merch. And usually designs I don't see on other sites like JSR and the rest. You pay for it, but it is 100% worth the money.

Their shirts run a bit on the small side, which is worth bearing in mind, but yeah their stuff is quality. I have a Blood Fire Death shirt from them and it's got sparkly stuff in the gold ink for gently caress's sake.