Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

bairfanx posted:

Where are you putting this removable sticker? Presumably not on your precious ad space on the back cover. So it's on the inside and has to be one that isn't strong enough to tear paper. And they're going to be inserted... manually? because if you're making it a part of the printing process, you're probably going to need a new machine to automate it.

Or it would be easier to just two two print runs of a book that you're selling at the same price as each other for people who don't want something for free? Something they can give to a friend or sell for a buck (recouping some of that drat $4 cover price).

Nah, this scenario is all about the polybag fetish. Yep.

You put the code on an insert inside the book and you put a sticker over the code. Seems pretty easy to me, as magazines put inserts in their books all the time - any printer they use would likely have the machinery already. As far as print runs, yeah, doing two seems to be working just fine for DC with their combo pack, even if it's a dollar more.

Of course, that approach would mean that they couldn't jam this down retailers' throats or hope that collectors will buy more than one because it's polybagged. I'm sorry, but the way Marvel's going about this is cheesy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Black Lighter posted:

You put the code on an insert inside the book and you put a sticker over the code. Seems pretty easy to me, as magazines put inserts in their books all the time - any printer they use would likely have the machinery already. As far as print runs, yeah, doing two seems to be working just fine for DC with their combo pack, even if it's a dollar more.

Ah, like a magazine renewal type of insert? I could see that working if they were through the staple to prevent people from just slipping them out. The current method has the code printed on the inside back cover, and that's where I thougt you were saying they should sticker it, which did not even seem a little feasible. Of course, nothing prevents someone from scurrying off to a corner of the shop and tearing it out either (same could be said about ripping off the bag and then the back cover, but one of these is a lot more noticeable than the other).

Working just fine for DC? Really? Where are your numbers on their sales? The only reason our LCS sold any of the $5 Justice Leagues was when we'd run out of the normal ones. Anecdotal evidence, but people generally don't want to pay for something that other media gives them for free. It's like Mavel saw what DC did, said "that was stupid," and decided to give all of their customers something for free.

Black Lighter posted:

Of course, that approach would mean that they couldn't jam this down retailers' throats or hope that collectors will buy more than one because it's polybagged. I'm sorry, but the way Marvel's going about this is cheesy as hell.

The retailer doesn't have to order the book. The collector that would buy two to keep one pristine and read the other will be buying two whether it's polybagged or not (they're the minority, but they exist, and are fequently the people who insist on first printings).

God forbid a company give you something for free.

Jesus, just realized this probably ought to move to derailed.

For Ultimate Comics thoughts: I really dug USM 4, though one of my pages had a pretty disgusting printing error all over Gwen's face. Enjoyable story, can't wait for more, wish it were cheaper, and I'm still enjoying UXM and the Ultimates more.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

bairfanx posted:

Jesus, just realized this probably ought to move to derailed.

I concur.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Rhyno posted:

So now that Miles has encountered Gwen is it a safe bet that we'll never see her in the book again? Is this what they meant when they said he'd seek advice from her?

I don't think there's any need for them to at this point. Miles is going to have his hands full dealing with friends AND foes of Spiderman itching to take him down for various reasons.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Also he's got Spider-Woman to hang out with.

I feel like I don't remember any of her reaction to Peter's death.

She's basically him, and he died, and all her friends and family who don't know her but she knows are sad. I feel like she'd at least stop by incognito.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Nevvy Z posted:

She's basically him, and he died, and all her friends and family who don't know her but she knows are sad. I feel like she'd at least stop by incognito.

She's got his memories but she's not him. It seemed like before she was attempting to put some distance between her and Peter, hence her joining SHIELD and soon the Ultimates Clone relationships are weird and impossible to define in any truly natural way because as far as relationships go they are completely fictional. It one of the reasons I wish comics didn't rely on that trope so heavily.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

There wasn't any reaction from her but it looks like we're getting it with the next issue of USM.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

I don't think there's any need for them to at this point. Miles is going to have his hands full dealing with friends AND foes of Spiderman itching to take him down for various reasons.

I dunno, I think you could use her or May to help Miles work out the whole 'secret identity' thing. I know Jessica can do that, too, and I think it'd be a good idea to have her as a regular character for a bit, acting as a mentor, but I don't think it's infeasible to have May or Gwen return from time to time.

I did like that Gwen gave Miles the mantra. If the kid's gonna be Spider-Man, he needed to hear it. I almost anticipate that being the thing that turns Spider-Woman around on him. Like she tears him a new one, then he quotes her Uncle back at her, and she's all "...gently caress... Fine, at least learn to do it right... and get a proper outfit!"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I love that they're starting to Ultimize some more obscure characters now that so many of the big names were killed off. First Xorn in Hawkeye, now Maggot in X-Men.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I like how they are continuing the trend of not artistically detailing the president at all beyond "male and caucasian."

No name, features, or relevance.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

I like how they are continuing the trend of not artistically detailing the president at all beyond "male and caucasian."

No name, features, or relevance.

Which is fine with me. Most of the time when it was shown, it was just so the writer could get an edgy "lol BU$H!" line of dialogue into the book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah and they're not trying to go "Oh but despite how America was invaded by a coalition of superpowered soldiers from countries that hate us, and the highly publicized presence of literal Gods on earth, Obama still ran and won the 2008 election. :downs:"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah and they're not trying to go "Oh but despite how America was invaded by a coalition of superpowered soldiers from countries that hate us, and the highly publicized presence of literal Gods on earth, Obama still ran and won the 2008 election. :downs:"

And his vice president was evil

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Which is fine with me. Most of the time when it was shown, it was just so the writer could get an edgy "lol BU$H!" line of dialogue into the book.

Bush seemed to be represented fine in the Ultimates Universe? He was friendly with Cap and co. in the Ultimates and other than being totally beaten by Magneto, nothing particularly negative was said.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Does having real presidents ever really add anything to the story though? If anything it always took me out because it can immediately date a comic. With the way timelines go in comics I don't think it makes a lot of sense to keep up with current world leaders.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kaleidoscope posted:

Does having real presidents ever really add anything to the story though? If anything it always took me out because it can immediately date a comic. With the way timelines go in comics I don't think it makes a lot of sense to keep up with current world leaders.

In Secret Empire it was tied heavily with Watergate and the disillusionment of the people. It was obviously Nixon who killed himself but it was not in your face.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Bush seemed to be represented fine in the Ultimates Universe? He was friendly with Cap and co. in the Ultimates and other than being totally beaten by Magneto, nothing particularly negative was said.

Thor criticized his policies all the time. And being friendly with Ultimate Cap might be fine in-universe, but a real politician would never associate with someone as dickish as Ultimate Cap.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TwoPair posted:

Thor criticized his policies all the time. And being friendly with Ultimate Cap might be fine in-universe, but a real politician would never associate with someone as dickish as Ultimate Cap.

That fits with Thor's character, though. He criticized Fury and America as a whole.

Saying that makes the book anti-Bush is kind of reaching. That seems paranoid, especially after dismissing Cap and him getting along fine.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

TwoPair posted:

You're telling me that you think the President of the United States wouldn't want to be seen with a World War II veteran who is a cultural icon and whose name is Captain America? Really? How many politicians do you know that aren't dicks?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JackDarko posted:

You're telling me that you think the President of the United States wouldn't want to be seen with a World War II veteran who is a cultural icon and whose name is Captain America? Really? How many politicians do you know that aren't dicks?

Jimmy Carter?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

bobkatt013 posted:

Jimmy Carter?

It was rhetorical but yeah you're right Jimmy is a nice man.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Also, seriously, Thor was painted as a possibly-deranged leftwing HIPPY. If he'd had been palling up with Bush, wouldn't that have really seemed slightly odd?

Fury, the most hyper-competent person IN the Ultimates, never outright insults the president. They disagree and argue but never actually hate each other like forum posters. Even though he voted for Nader, haha.

Bush is personally attacked and SAVED by Captain America in Ultimates 2. That's about as child-heroic fantasy as you can get.

So I think it's a little silly to even remotely try to say the book is anti-Bush.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Also, seriously, Thor was painted as a possibly-deranged leftwing HIPPY. If he'd had been palling up with Bush, wouldn't that have really seemed slightly odd?

Fury, the most hyper-competent person IN the Ultimates, never outright insults the president. They disagree and argue but never actually hate each other like forum posters. Even though he voted for Nader, haha.

Bush is personally attacked and SAVED by Captain America in Ultimates 2. That's about as child-heroic fantasy as you can get.

So I think it's a little silly to even remotely try to say the book is anti-Bush.
Which is surprising since it was written by Millar.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bobkatt013 posted:

Which is surprising since it was written by Millar.

I think Millar was either edited or self-aware enough to realize that going on a cartoonish crusade against Bush wouldn't entertain or educate anyone. The Simpsons writers/editors said this recently, too, which is why they never took potshots against Bush the way they did against Clinton. It just...wasn't entertaining or funny.

Regardless of your personal politics, the past decade has not been good, politically, for the US, and there's been a lot of discontented people vocal about it.

I think Millar was restrained enough to realize that there was enough people mad at Bush, there was no point beating that dead dog when it wouldn't make a difference.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

I think Millar was restrained enough to realize that there was enough people mad at Bush, there was no point beating that dead dog when it wouldn't make a difference.

This may be the first time anyone has ever accused Mark Millar of being capable of restraint.

Seriously though, a generic president works a lot better for a lot of reasons, not least that due to comics' decompressed time, a real president could potential come and go in what seems like a month of comic time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Actually it wasn't Millar's book I was thinking of. When Bush is seen in a high security room during Bendis' X-Men run (where Emma Frost is introduced), Bush comes across as kind of an idiot.

I had to go look up the issue # to make sure it wasn't written by Millar.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
There's been allusion to there being a new president here and there and I'm fine with imagining Bush was superceded by President Faceless at some point. Early Ultimate stuff seemed across the board fine with slapping a concrete time and place on things and making real-world allusions (though this could honestly have mostly been Millar) that's been lost from the line now that there's noticeable floating-timeline going on.

Also, a lot of characters popping up now are Ultimatizations of characters I was barely even aware of to begin with, or didn't realize they were an Ultimatization rather than a completely original character. Miles' uncle is Ultimate Prowler, Jimmy's adoptive dad is Ultimate Guardian etc. I had no idea about Maggot until I checked this thread. Are there any I'm missing?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TJO posted:

I don't know, both Iron Fist and Moon Knight have had interesting new takes on them in 616, you don't need to shove Ultimate in front of something to examine the core of the character whilst having a clear if vaguely critical affection for them and writing accordingly.

Madrox is a great example of a character being Ultimatised within 616.

The current Moon Knight take is actually pretty close to how Bendis wrote him in Ultimate, which is kinda funny.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 19, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Surprised to not see any Hawkeye 4 discussion, especially because of all the new "ultimate" versions of characters/ideas. For those who haven't read it he introduces Xorn/Zorn who each run either the Celestials or Eternals.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.

muscles like this? posted:

Surprised to not see any Hawkeye 4 discussion, especially because of all the new "ultimate" versions of characters/ideas. For those who haven't read it he introduces Xorn/Zorn who each run either the Celestials or Eternals.

I liked the ideas a lot but felt it needed to not be crammed into the last issue. This should have been a 5 issue mini.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

I can definitely say this is now what I expected. Did anyone?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I just feel bad for Hulk. :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maybe I've been watching Deadwood too much, but having an Asian guy leading the Celestials seems a tad bit racist to me.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Why would anyone feel bad for the hulk? He's found Betty again!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TheJoker138 posted:

Maybe I've been watching Deadwood too much, but having an Asian guy leading the Celestials seems a tad bit racist to me.

I don't even remotely see how this could be seen that way.

Especially as the Asian guy has no Asian features anymore as his head doesn't exist.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, maybe I'm a bit behind on my Asian stereotypes but I really don't understand why that could be taken as racist.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Maybe all asians are genetic engineers? Like... some sort of extension of the 'good at math' thing?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"Celestial" is old-tymey slang for "Asian immigrant." Like, 1800s old-tymey.

If you're honestly offended by the tenuous connection of another meaning of this word to Ultimate Xorn, I think you're trying to be offended.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Really cool world building, but it didn't really leave an impact on me. The ending was really, really open-ended. Like ridiculously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Really cool world building, but it didn't really leave an impact on me. The ending was really, really open-ended. Like ridiculously.

So open ended in fact that it advertised the comic it was gonna be continued in :v:

• Locked thread