Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Here's an idea... No more new dimensions. Instead, new times.

Already there are automatic map alterers that can take your world and 'age' it, turning your constructions into ancient ruins. Why not have a portal that takes you to a new map that is based on your existing map after it has been modified in this fashion? A one-time generation is simplest, but it would be no small amount of interesting if you could then go back in time to build something new just to have the ruins of the future updated accordingly.

Or, stranger still, create a portal to go back in time, allowing you to, say... stuff a large amount of feathertouch pick-mined coal at the adminium layer, bury it, place some manner of monument above it and return to your original 'time' in order to go back down and mine out what is now a large diamond vein.

I wonder if it's a viable mod idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

The Snark posted:

Or, stranger still, create a portal to go back in time, allowing you to, say... stuff a large amount of feathertouch pick-mined coal at the adminium layer, bury it, place some manner of monument above it and return to your original 'time' in order to go back down and mine out what is now a large diamond vein.

:eng99:
Diamonds are not formed from coal:
http://geology.com/articles/diamonds-from-coal/

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

LogisticEarth posted:

Obsidian also isn't a super hard material that can withstand the might of 20 kilotons of TNT either, but I'm willing to concede with coal becoming diamond in Minecraft.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

LogisticEarth posted:

Oh god, you're right! Why did I have to suggest that diamonds be formed in such an unrealistic way in the game with all the blocks! My... My posting career is over... It was going so well too, there was light at the end of the tunnel! But this... this STAIN... it will never wash away. No one who plays games will every take me seriously again!

I'm... I'm sorry. For everything.

:suicide:

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
With Buildcraft, it can turn into oil instead!

Oh wait, The Snark thought of the original idea. Nevermind then. :v:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKefSetuJ_E

Just tweeted by notch, sorry if this is a repost. :aaaaa:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

They finally found him. The man that's truly beaten Minecraft.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Electrical engineers: impressed.

Everyone else: what the gently caress is that poo poo? oh it's supposed to be a 3d image. Oh... ok thats cool I guess?...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah I mean. The redstone work is probably impressive, but as for what is supposed to be displayed it just looks like a bunch of lines that turn into other lines.

Estel
May 4, 2010
It's recreating this game done by Notch:

http://www.mojang.com/notch/chambered/

inside Minecraft.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
Today we already have computers that fill entire rooms; but as technology progresses we will one day have computers as huge as a Minecraft world.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
215 is a lot of pages,sorry if this's been asked a bunch. How do I remove the "Minecraft beta 1.8.1" watermark?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

SSJ Reeko posted:

215 is a lot of pages,sorry if this's been asked a bunch. How do I remove the "Minecraft beta 1.8.1" watermark?

You can't.

Although I suspect that if you use SpoutCraft it might be fixed in that.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
well I'm sure you could change the code to remove that line pretty easily if you know how.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone know why my 2-person server would spontaneously change spawn points? When I first started up I was on a shoreline, then when I died I started on the opposite shore of a huge lake. Luckily I was able to swim back with enough time to gather up all my stuff...but the second and third time I died I had to dodge spiders, creepers and more in a rush back to get my inventory off the lake floor.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
The version watermark was removed in the release, right? I wouldn't bother trying to mod that poo poo out when it will presumably be gone in the next version.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

SSJ Reeko posted:

If you're just trying to take clean screenshots use F1 to remove all of that

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

nightwisher posted:

Electrical engineers: impressed.

Everyone else: what the gently caress is that poo poo? oh it's supposed to be a 3d image. Oh... ok thats cool I guess?...

The guy is working now on making a GPU with automatic occlusion culling...out of redstone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I... I can't play Minecraft and I've found out why. It's all so pretty, I don't want to ruin it. :( The Yogbox may have killed my ability to actually play the game, because with the painter pack, now I just want to look at trees instead of cutting those trees down. Even planting new ones doesn't help ease the feeling. I just bought it and now I don't know what to do with it. Guess I'll go look at more trees.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

SSJ Reeko posted:

Guess I'll go look at more trees.

You know you can do that for real in a place called "outside".

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

SSJ Reeko posted:

I... I can't play Minecraft and I've found out why. It's all so pretty, I don't want to ruin it. :( The Yogbox may have killed my ability to actually play the game, because with the painter pack, now I just want to look at trees instead of cutting those trees down. Even planting new ones doesn't help ease the feeling. I just bought it and now I don't know what to do with it. Guess I'll go look at more trees.

Just go murder some skeletons (or clean up after dawn) and get their bones to make bonemeal. Then you can just insta-grow trees after cutting them down.

Or you can do what I did and find an abandoned mine and mine out all the trusses which are made of wood blocks and fences.

Oh god I have so many wood blocks and fences.

Then again, mining all that out turns an abandoned mine into just a bunch of tunnels and removes all the ambiance, so maybe you won't want to do that either. v:shobon:v

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

SSJ Reeko posted:

Play in Creative Mode and use its infinite items and easy destruction to carve out an elaborate, lush, eco-friendly hobbithole housing complex into a hill or something.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So disco (the guy responsible for the pig slot machine among others) created another crazy Minecraft contraption. This time its Plants vs Zombies

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Boat posted:

The guy is working now on making a GPU with automatic occlusion culling...out of redstone.

Yeah all those needlessly rendered polygons are dragging down the frame rate.

Big deal, he made it using redstone which is perfectly suited to imitating computer hardware. The calculator made in Little Big Planet was ten times more impressive due to the ingenuity needed to imitate computing functions. This is an engineer getting his mega-sperg on.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
So.. has the release changed the current version of the game yet? My client is still reading 1.8.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Wait, the game's officially out now?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JGBeagle posted:

Wait, the game's officially out now?

I think it's just in final release candidate stage. It's gone gold, but it's not actually out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kortel posted:

So.. has the release changed the current version of the game yet? My client is still reading 1.8.

The release is the 18th.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Thank you very much.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

nightwisher posted:

Yeah all those needlessly rendered polygons are dragging down the frame rate.

Big deal, he made it using redstone which is perfectly suited to imitating computer hardware. The calculator made in Little Big Planet was ten times more impressive due to the ingenuity needed to imitate computing functions. This is an engineer getting his mega-sperg on.

drat, dude, what the gently caress? A dude uses some brainpower and makes something kind of cool and you have to poo poo on it like you're the grand poobah of awesome?

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?

Zaa Boogie posted:

drat, dude, what the gently caress? A dude uses some brainpower and makes something kind of cool and you have to poo poo on it like you're the grand poobah of awesome?

Hey, nothing about redstone is cool. Nothing.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

Obsidian also isn't a super hard material that can withstand the might of 20 kilotons of TNT either, but I'm willing to concede with coal becoming diamond in Minecraft.

Eh, there isn't a long history of bad information that obsidian has those properties. Diamonds from coal, however, is an inaccurate peice of information that is "common knowledge" and taught in a lot of high school science classes. So I'm just doing my part as a geologist. :shobon:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

The release is the 18th.

Okay, good. Because if on the 18th Minecraft still does not play on my computer, I'm going to see if I can't get a refund.

At that point it should really be able to play on a Windows 7 computer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JGBeagle posted:

Okay, good. Because if on the 18th Minecraft still does not play on my computer, I'm going to see if I can't get a refund.

It plays on windows 7 just fine. It has since Win7 released.

What error are you getting? Why can't you play it?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

JGBeagle posted:

Since 1.8.1 it's played really well even on my mediocre laptop which runs Windows 7. Also, for all of the approach's flaws, one of the advantages of implementing your game in Java, as Notch has with Minecraft, is that it's effectively operating-system agnostic -- depending mostly on Java -- so I don't know where you got the idea that it won't run in Windows 7.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

LogisticEarth posted:

Eh, there isn't a long history of bad information that obsidian has those properties. Diamonds from coal, however, is an inaccurate peice of information that is "common knowledge" and taught in a lot of high school science classes. So I'm just doing my part as a geologist. :shobon:

I agree that it doesn't happen in nature at all, but graphite has been used to form synthetic diamonds since the 1950s, if we're being all science-y about it. (and I'll concede that coal isn't the same pure graphite, so you're pretty much right.)

/chemist

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Ming the Merciless posted:

I agree that it doesn't happen in nature at all, but graphite has been used to form synthetic diamonds since the 1950s, if we're being all science-y about it. (and I'll concede that coal isn't the same pure graphite, so you're pretty much right.)

/chemist

Well hey I'm all about increasing the number of machines/capital goods in Minecraft! Lets put in a diamon press machine, heh.

Actually I work on a lot of environmental remediation projects cleaning up old Manufactured Coal Gas plants. I really want to make an Minecraft MGP plant to produce coal tar, Prussian Blue, and coke. The coke could further be used to power a blast furnace for the production of steel. :science:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

LogisticEarth posted:

Well hey I'm all about increasing the number of machines/capital goods in Minecraft! Lets put in a diamon press machine, heh.

Actually I work on a lot of environmental remediation projects cleaning up old Manufactured Coal Gas plants. I really want to make an Minecraft MGP plant to produce coal tar, Prussian Blue, and coke. The coke could further be used to power a blast furnace for the production of steel. :science:

For what it's worth, you can do that with the IndustrialCraft 2 mod. It uses the whole "hurr durr coal compress into diamonds" thing, but you can also generate electricity and make super-powerful furnaces and stuff that way. Or a jetpack, a mining drill, or a matter-creating machine.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

PalmTreeFun posted:

For what it's worth, you can do that with the IndustrialCraft 2 mod. It uses the whole "hurr durr coal compress into diamonds" thing, but you can also generate electricity and make super-powerful furnaces and stuff that way. Or a jetpack, a mining drill, or a matter-creating machine.

So compressing coal into diamonds is "hurr durr" but a matter creating machine and a jetpack do not qualify? Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

LogisticEarth posted:

I tried, I really did...