Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Hey, anyone interested in a Goon Homebrew secret santa this year? I'd be willing to administer.

My Holiday Spiced Ale is willing to travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Okay, here's the SA Homebrewer Secret Santa reg form. Registration is open until 11/30/11 and I will send assignments no later than 12/3/11.

Please be aware of restrictions and packing requirements for shipping beer. Do your homework!

Signup Form

We should make a sticky or something.

Just signed up!

Out of curiosity, what's the customary amount of beer to send out for these things? A couple bottles?

And for the restrictions/packing requirements, it's basically just to pack it really well and don't send via USPS, right?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Okay, here's the SA Homebrewer Secret Santa reg form. Registration is open until 11/30/11 and I will send assignments no later than 12/3/11.

Please be aware of restrictions and packing requirements for shipping beer. Do your homework!

Signup Form

We should make a sticky or something.

Signed up! I would also like to know guidelines on how much stuff is customary to send, though I've got plenty.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The OP of rage-saq's beer trading thread has good tips on packing and shipping.

ziebarf
Jul 6, 2008
Looking to make a biscuity/grainy/bready ale, I am thinking of something like this:

Base: Maris Otter

Speciality: Biscuit Malt and CaraPils

Adjunct: Flaked Barley

Hops: Kent Golding

Yeast: Safale S-04

80 minute boil to get some of those melanoidins. Will this combo make the beer I am describing or horse piss?

EDIT: Probably mash around 154ish

ziebarf fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 15, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

Summary: 5 gal; wheat, pilsner, and crystal malt; 1 oz Cascade; Wyeast Northwest Ale yeast

Had to sneak a taste yesterday. It's been in a keg in a cold garage on shady* property for almost a week at 12psi so of course it isn't fizzy enough but it's getting there.

I wonder how much of the cloudiness will drop out after another week and a half when we plan to open it. On one hand, I've seen beers clear up miraculously with a good cold crash. On the other hand, I used malted wheat for a majority of the base malt so it should be expected to be cloudy. Any thoughts?

VERY light malt flavor. Almost no immediate taste, zesty clean lemony finish. If I read the hydrometer right it has about 4.7% ABV. Pretty much mission accomplished in the flavor department. I really can't wait to drink it.

* literally shady, lots of trees keep the sun off and it keeps pretty consistent temp in there.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I finally got to it and finished my stir plate. My work gave us Veteran's Day off, so I used the day to finish the plate. It was a fun father / son bonding project. My 7-month old boy loooved watching me solder everything together. He thought it was coolest thing ever.

Which got me thinking: Someone needs to make a baby's first soldering iron. Nothing dangerous, just a 25w iron that only hits 600F or so. Nothing serious. And make it shaped like a cute giraffe or something. Yeah, that's the ticket! ;)

So now that I have this stir plate, I guess I'm not too sure how to use it. Maybe I'm over-thinking things here. From what I've read, all I need to do is set the speed fast enough to keep the yeast suspended. So does that mean I shouldn't really see any kind of a whirlpool effect in the starter? My stir plate can spin water fast enough to get a nice vortex going. (Pro tip: Babies love watching stir plates work)

Speaking of starters, how many days before brew day should I start building up my yeast? like 2-3 days before?

When I harvested the yeast cake, I literally just harvested it into a bunch of mason jars. The jars have a mix of trub, beer, and a little thin line of yeast. Is it okay if some trub makes it into the starter along with the yeast?

Once I have the yeast poured into the starter jar, all I need to do is add in some DME and let the stir plate work? What about yeast nutrient? I've heard of some people using yeast nutrient. I've heard others say it's a waste of money.

Last bit: Is it safe to use aluminum foil over the mouth of the jar I'm going to be building the starter in? I've heard some people say to use airlocks, but others say aluminum foil is fine.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dolemite posted:

starter :words:

* A very small vortex is what I shoot for. You don't need that poo poo spinning around at 100000 RPMs. On really flocculant yeast I turn it up otherwise it just instantly clumps up and drops out. Those strains are fascinating to me for some reason.

* A bit of trub isn't going to hurt anyone.

* You want a 10:1 ratio of water to DME in your starter. So say you were going to make a 1L starter. Measure out 100g of DME, then add enough water to reach the 1L line on your container. You don't want 1L + the DME, you want (100g + X) = 1L if that makes sense. mrmalty.com has some good FAQ's on starters, even if some folks think Jamil's numbers are retarded (I personally don't).

* I do use nutrient; it lasts forever (you need something like 0.1 tsp in small to moderate starter) and isn't very expensive. If you're going to all this effort to care for your yeast, why not go the last mile and put an extra 5 cents of insurance in there?

* I've tried a bunch of things, and tinfoil works fine and is zero hassle. Done a lot of starters at this point and never once had an infection.

* I give it 24 hours on the stir plate, then a day cold crashing in the fridge. Take it out a few hours before pitching, decant off the wort (which usually smells pretty weird, don't worry it's not infected) and let it warm up to pitching temp. Might need longer with a bigger starter, I've never done more than 2L.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Signed up! I would also like to know guidelines on how much stuff is customary to send, though I've got plenty.

I would think a sixer would be ideal.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Planning out an APA with Rye. Going to use NB's Rye Extract (20% rye). I'm going for rye's spiciness. What would be a good aroma/flavor hop that would accentuate this?

e: Willamette maybe?

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 16, 2011

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
Hey I can join the discussion now! I finally caved and bought some equipment to start brewing. Since it's that wonderful time of the year for apples, I decided to start with some hard cider. After picking up some amazing fresh pressed cider from the orchard, I've got 5 gallons of cider and yeast currently making copious amounts of CO2 in my spare bathroom tub!

I'm already hooked and have started planning for a wheat ale after the cider finishes.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Docjowles posted:

* I give it 24 hours on the stir plate, then a day cold crashing in the fridge. Take it out a few hours before pitching, decant off the wort (which usually smells pretty weird, don't worry it's not infected) and let it warm up to pitching temp. Might need longer with a bigger starter, I've never done more than 2L.

Yeah, DME + yeast with no hops smells absolutely repugnant.

That said, I usually skip the cold crash and aim to be short 1.5L and then dump the whole 1.5L starter into the wort while the yeast is still highly active. I haven't noticed any ill flavor effects from the unappetizing starter liquid since in the grand scheme of things the 1.5L is not very significant and the wort has essentially been concentrated to offset it. The upshot of this is that it really minimizes the chances of any other bugs building up their own colonies before the yeast start to outcompete them - I've had batches start bubbling within 2 hours simply by pitching the active starter in, which is always a relief.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

Docjowles posted:

What's the reason for cold crashing? I imagine it's to allow the yeast to settle out for decanting. I guess there must not be any problem changing the temperature that quickly on a starter.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

crazyfish posted:

That's a really good question. The GWS SS has a limit of $20, but it's hard to put a value on homemade goods. I say send what you want to and be happy with what you get! It's random goonerosity in celebration of... winter ale season?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I was thinking I'd probably send a 4 or 6 pack since it's enough they can space it out to try at different ages, but won't take too much that I can't share it with any of my family who wants to try it on Christmas (100+ family party, luckily a lot of them aren't beer drinkers).

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Zakath posted:

What's the reason for cold crashing? I imagine it's to allow the yeast to settle out for decanting. I guess there must not be any problem changing the temperature that quickly on a starter.

Basically the premise is to get the yeast to go dormant so that most of the wort used to grow them up can be decanted - this is especially useful if you're doing multiple steps to grow your colony (i.e. 100ml -> 400ml -> 1600ml starter). IMO though you're throwing away perfectly fine booze as well as killing one of the primary advantages of pitching a starter, which is having 3-400 billion active fermenting yeast take hold immediately in the freshly cooled wort.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Zakath posted:

The main reason people decant larger starters is you've just oxygenated the poo poo out of all of that unhopped beer left in the flask and it can contribute off flavors in the finished project.

If unhopped super young beer is perfectly good booze I don't want to know what's not good. And I've had decanted starters take off in less than 2 hours so I think that's a non-issue too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Super Rad posted:

IMO though you're throwing away perfectly fine booze as well as killing one of the primary advantages of pitching a starter, which is having 3-400 billion active fermenting yeast take hold immediately in the freshly cooled wort.

I don't personally care about having a vigorous ferment going in 2 vs 8 hours or whatever, so much as a proper pitching rate without buying 2+ vials depending on their age and my OG. And I'd argue that it's not "perfectly fine booze", I want to have 5 gallons of my recipe, not 4.5 plus .5 gallons of nasty crap I wouldn't drink straight. If we're talking about a 500ml starter or something, sure, dump it in. But not 1L or bigger.

Just my 2c, not saying pitching the whole thing is wrong, just I don't like to.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Good deal on one of those FoodSaver vacuum sealers if anyone's interested:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3564994

This is what you guys use for your bulk hops, yeah?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

Planning out an APA with Rye. Going to use NB's Rye Extract (20% rye). I'm going for rye's spiciness. What would be a good aroma/flavor hop that would accentuate this?

e: Willamette maybe?

I think I'm going to go with Chinook, since I bought a pound of that from hops direct.

What are the chances the Magnum I bought from Brewmaster's Warehouse is still 15.2% AA after sitting vacuum sealed in my freezer for two months?

Here's the recipe.

I'd like to add another 10 minute addition of Chinook if the AA on the magnum aren't quite as high as purported. Really want to accentuate that spicy flavor and aroma. I am trying to stick to an APA BJCP style. Not for competition or anything, just to do it. I guess there's no reason I can't be a few IBU higher than the BJCP really.

Instead of posting I should just open word and start typing to myself.

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 16, 2011

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Also: Homebrew Club or Home Brew Club? Homebrewing or Home Brewing? (I think I know Jo3sh' answer on that one)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

JohnnySmitch posted:

Good deal on one of those FoodSaver vacuum sealers if anyone's interested:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3564994

This is what you guys use for your bulk hops, yeah?

That looks like a good deal. I guess it's "mini" because it accepts only the 8" width bag stock, which is probably not a problem for hops.

Prefect Six posted:

Also: Homebrew Club or Home Brew Club? Homebrewing or Home Brewing? (I think I know Jo3sh' answer on that one)

There is no One True Answer. But you knew I was going to say that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Prefect Six posted:

What are the chances the Magnum I bought from Brewmaster's Warehouse is still 15.2% AA after sitting vacuum sealed in my freezer for two months?

They'll be close enough to 15.2% that it won't matter one way or the other. Factors like boil volume, gravity, boil strength, pH, how quickly you cool the wort, whether you use a hop bag, etc. will affect the IBUs more than .3% AA either way would. Hell, the ounce you got could by chance contain a sample of pellets that is higher or lower than the 15.2% AA bale average anyway.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

They'll be close enough to 15.2% that it won't matter one way or the other. Factors like boil volume, gravity, boil strength, pH, how quickly you cool the wort, whether you use a hop bag, etc. will affect the IBUs more than .3% AA either way would. Hell, the ounce you got could by chance contain a sample of pellets that is higher or lower than the 15.2% AA bale average anyway.

That said, I read some Hop descriptions somewhere, and IIRC some hops lose about half their AA after just six months. I know when my not vacuum sealed cascade got more than a couple months old I wouldn't use them for the bittering charge, just late addition and dry hopping.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

50% loss? Maybe if you store them in paper bags at room temperature. If you have them in the freezer vacuum sealed I'd be surprised if they lost 50% bittering potential over two years.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
There are a number of things out there that can calculate AA loss, both webapps and something like beersmith.
Vacuum bagging and freezing (-2 to -3 degrees F) makes a HUGE difference when it comes to alpha acid stability. For example 15.4% AA Warrior is about 13.6% AA after 36 months if it was vacuum bagged and stored at -3f.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Frigging bottle bombs on my ESB, I had to dump the batch already despite me not having time to enjoy a single bottle due to a crazy hectic schedule at work and me just forgetting I had them :( Gravity was stable at 1.012 for a few days at ~68* with WLP023 and I left it in primary for a further 2 weeks after that just cause I had no time to bottle. Primed with Cooper's carb tabs. I'm thinking either infection or the yeast just flocced like gently caress (which is odd cause I didn't even cold crash) and wasn't really finished.

Luckily I have a couple mason jars of the yeast, I'll have to reuse and rouse a few times next brew. The taste I had out of primary was fantastic :( I popped a bottle in the fridge to try tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't explode before then.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

indigi posted:

Primed with Cooper's carb tabs.

Luckily I have a couple mason jars of the yeast, I'll have to reuse and rouse a few times next brew.

The old owner of my LHBS told me that a majority of the people that used those carb tabs came back and complained about some kind of infection, so that's a possibility. Also if you had an infection in your primary I wouldn't reuse that yeast.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

indigi posted:

or the yeast just flocced like gently caress (which is odd cause I didn't even cold crash) and wasn't really finished.

What yeast was it? Many British yeasts flocc like goddam concrete once they decide they're done fermenting, cold crash or no.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Docjowles posted:

What yeast was it? Many British yeasts flocc like goddam concrete once they decide they're done fermenting, cold crash or no.

Wlp023=Burton ale=Thames valley=wyeast1275=poor flocculator

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My bad, replying on the way out the door and before coffee = no reading comprehension :saddowns: Didn't see that he specified the yeast.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

The old owner of my LHBS told me that a majority of the people that used those carb tabs came back and complained about some kind of infection, so that's a possibility. Also if you had an infection in your primary I wouldn't reuse that yeast.

I've used them for about 15 batches now and never had this problem, and the one I saved to sample tasted really fuckin good (:(). I think it was probably a residual sugar problem.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

I've used them for about 15 batches now and never had this problem, and the one I saved to sample tasted really fuckin good (:(). I think it was probably a residual sugar problem.

What was your mash temp? 1.012 seems like a good FG with that yeast.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

Wlp023=Burton ale=Thames valley=wyeast1275=poor flocculator

Yeah, I just kegged my imperial porter the other day and after 3 weeks in conical and then a 1 day cold crash it wasn't totally flocced out yet. So I gave it 2 more days cold crashing and it ran off crystal clear.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yet, oddly enough the pale ales I made with that yeast have been by far my clearest beers. It just takes longer to settle.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

tesilential posted:

What was your mash temp? 1.012 seems like a good FG with that yeast.
154. Maybe I should have saved a few more bottles in the fridge to see if any off-flavors developed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This secret santa thing looks cool. Is there a way we can specify what we're able to send, as well?

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Has anyone here used Munich LME before? Good for German lagers? Seems like it would greatly simplify this Oktoberfest recipe I'm about to try. Simple is good. Less things to gently caress up and all...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

If you're talking about the syrup from Northern Brewer I'm sure it's good as all their other syrups, and I'm also sure you could make a pretty dynamite lager with just the Munich syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Briess, but it appears to be basically the same thing. 50/50 mix of munich and a base malt.